A Penny Saved is a Love Earned Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How many of these can you produce?" smiled Dr. Nathan Michaels, Chairman of the Board, after I'd just given him a demonstration of my chair, "And how soon can we have them?"

"What're you saying?" I cautiously asked.

"What we're saying, my friend, is that we want to buy as many of these chairs as we can get our hands on," Dr. Michaels grinned, "And we don't give a damn what they cost either. This work is pure cutting edge genius, my boy, and I want Baptist Hospital to be the first in the world to have this technology."

"I'll have to talk to my guy that built it," I replied, "But I don't foresee any problem with the manufacturing, but then again, I'll have to talk to my people."

"You draw up the contracts and we'll sign them," Dr. Michaels excitedly grinned, "Is there anything we can do on our end to help speed the process?"

I suddenly had an idea, and in doing so, I smiled at Dr. Brennan, and then to Dr. Michaels replied, "Well sir, I'm going to need the assistance of a Doctor who is familiar with the patients that will need this particular type of hardware."

"Can I ask why?" he smiled.

"You're a doctor, sir," I pointedly replied, "And you know that every case is different. I'll need a doctor present in the event that we have to make any modifications to our product, sir."

"That's a good point," he knowingly smiled, "Is there any doctor in particular that you had in mind?"

"I was thinking of Doctor Brennan here," I replied, grinning from ear-to-ear, "After all, this particular type of hardware was designed for patients with the types of injuries she specializes in, yes?"

~~~~~~

Chapter Three

"You ought to be a politician, Bryan," Dr. Cameron smirked, as two orderlies loaded my chair into the back of my truck, which Megan had pulled up to the front entrance of the hospital, "You had those guys eating out of your hands."

"Come on, Doc," I laughed, "You can use a little time away from here for a while, can't you?"

"I wouldn't mind," she wearily sighed, "But I still have patients to care for, don't forget that."

"I won't," I smiled, handing her a piece of paper with my phone number and address written on it, "Be at this address tomorrow morning around ten o'clock. That way, you can sleep late for a change."

"You are such a brat," she giggled, patting my arm, "Okay then, I'll see you tomorrow."

"See ya then, Doc," I grinned, then climbed into my truck to let Megan drive me home.

~~~~~~

"SURPRISE!!!" was the first thing I heard, the moment I opened my front door. I looked into my living room to see a big banner stretching across the far wall that read "WELCOME HOME BRYAN!"

"Hi, Sweetie," Mom grinned, as she hugged me, "Welcome home, baby."

"It's good to see you up and around, son," Dad smiled, standing behind Mom.

"Thanks, you guys," I smiled, as I hugged them both, "It's good to be home."

"So, what are your plans while you're still healing?" Dad asked.

"I've got a couple of things going on," I knowingly smiled, "But I've still gotta work out a few details first, Dad."

"Good man," Dad laughed, patting me on the shoulder, "You're a chip off the old block, kid."

"Whatever you say, Dad," I smirked.

~~~~~~

Because my mother was born and raised in London, England, she made my most favorite meal in the world for me that night, Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, and a side of mashed potatoes with butter, garlic, salt, and pepper.

I ate until I could hold no more and when the time came to clear the table and do the dishes; Mom, Megan and Sam, all three pitched in and had it done in less than half the time it normally takes me. See? I told you how sweet my family was and I hope that now you believe me.

~~~~~~

That night I slept good, but I had dreams that were different from any I'd had ever had before. Although I couldn't remember them the next morning, I couldn't shake the feeling that Dr. Brennan had somehow been a part of them. But as opposed to continue dwelling on something I couldn't remember anyway, I shook it off and began my day.

~~~~~~

The house was empty when I came into my living room. I found a note taped to the refrigerator that told me Megan and Sam had gone shopping with Mom, and wouldn't be back until sometime around noon, or so.

I hadn't said a word to Megan about my deal with the Hospital yet, and I anxious to see how everything would play out. I also found myself becoming excited at the idea of working with Dr, Brennan; but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why.

I had a bowl of cereal with some toast and grape jam, which Mom had made, and after taking my shower, called the office.

~~~~~~

"Hi, Bryan," Jessie chirped, on the other end of the phone, "How're ya feelin, boss?"

"I'm still a little sore, but I'll be alright, sweetie," I smiled, "I need you to send Mark, Tommy, and Earl to my house today. Tell them to be here around ten o'clock, okay?"

"You got it, Bryan," she happily replied, "Is there anything else?"

"Yeah," I replied, an idea suddenly coming to mind, "Call Morton's and make a seven-thirty dinner reservation for two tonight, would you?"

"You know I will," she teased, "You got a hot date tonight, or something?"

"No," I grinned, "Well...maybe...I don't know...I'll let you know, bye Jess."

"Bye, boss," she giggled, and then abruptly hung up.

"Silly girl," I laughed, placing the receiver of the phone back into its cradle.

~~~~~~

I had a hell of a time washing myself, being able to only use my right hand; but I still got it done. However it took twice the time it normally takes me.

Shaving was a bit tricky, too, but like the washing, I still managed, even if I did get the cast on my hand a bit wet. And then after I was dressed, I took care of a couple of very important phone calls that needed to be made before my morning began.

~~~~~~

My doorbell rang ten o'clock that morning, making me rise from my chair to answer it. And when I opened the front door, what I saw literally took my breath away. Dr. Brennan stood on my front porch in a pair khaki shorts and white tennis shoes, wearing a tight gray tee shirt. I never realized how sexy her legs were before now, not to mention that her breasts were so big.

But what had the biggest effect me, as always, were her eyes. They were dark and alluring, yet they sparkled, lighting up her face as she smiled and said, "Are you going to stand there and stare at me all morning, or are you going to invite me in."

"Sorry, Doc, "I laughed, opening the door wider, "I've been stuck in the hospital for so long that I almost lost my manners, please, come on in."

"Why, thank you, kind sir." she smiled, as she entered my house.

As I closed the door behind her, the first thing she did was to look at her surroundings and say, "You have a beautiful home, Bryan."

"Well, then," I proudly smiled, "Let me give you the nickel tour."

I built my house after Megan and I received our inheritances, which, thank God, was also after my divorce from that money grubbing whore, Vicky. I built a four bedroom house which was roughly twelve thousand square feet, all on one level. I also had had a basement which I used as a wine cellar. There's also a living room, with a dining room that connects to the kitchen, and a den, with a kitchenette off of it, which is where I eat all of my meals, well, most of the time anyway. Oh, and I can't forget the pool either.

She was impressed to say the least, but the thing that sparked her interest the most was the nine foot Steinway & Sons™, grand piano that sat in the living room in front of the sixteen foot, by sixteen foot front window.

"Do you play?" she asked

"Not right now," I smiled, holding up my left hand, showing her the cast, "Maybe we'll see after the cast comes off."

"You'll have full range of motion in your hand when that cast comes off, Bryan," she politely replied, "I promise you."

"I sure hope so," I worriedly replied, "Or all the years I spent learning to play that damn thing will all be for nothing

"Trust me, sweetie," she softly spoke, placing her soft palm against my cheek, "You will play again, I assure you."

"I believe you, Doc," I gently replied, knowing she was speaking the truth.

"So, did you build this house by yourself, Bryan?" she asked, changing the subject, as well as breaking the tender moment we were sharing.

"Not all by myself, Doctor," I teased, "The guys who work for me helped out a lot, too."

"Speaking of which," she suddenly said, "When I'm not at the hospital, I'd really like it if you called me by my first name, Penelope."

"Alright then, Miss Penelope," I chuckled, "Oopps, it is Miss, right?"

"Yes," she giggled, "It is."

"Okay, Miss Penelope," I smiled, "Would you care to join me for a cup of coffee? I just made it right before you arrived."

"Please," she smiled, "I'd love a cup."

"Well then," I grinned, heading to the kitchen, "Follow me, if you would."

~~~~~~

I fixed her a cup of coffee with cream and sugar, which is just the way she likes it, and as we sat down in the den, she looked at me with fear in her eyes and said, "Bryan, there's something I need to tell you, and I'm not really sure you're going to like it."

"Come on, Doc," I laughed, "It can't be that bad, can it?"

"Not really," she smiled, "And what did I just tell you about calling me Doctor when I'm not at the hospital?"

"Okay, Penelope," I gently replied, "What is it that you need to tell me?"

"I took Megan and Sam to lunch once because I wanted to ask your sister about you" she told me, all in one breath.

"Why would that make me mad, Penelope?"

"I wasn't sure whether you would've liked me nosing into your affairs," she softly replied, "I hope I haven't pissed you off."

"No," I quietly smiled, "I'm not mad at all. But the next time you want to know something about me, why don't you just ask? I promise that I won't bite you."

And by this time I found myself drowning in the dark richness of her eyes, not caring whether I ever made it back from wherever I was headed.

I would like to tell you something else, too," she sweetly told me, "If you don't mind."

"Tell me, Penelope," I smiled, "I'm all ears."

"Well," she uncomfortably began, "Ever since I met you, I thought that you're of the nicest, most handsome men that I've ever known, and I hope I haven't ambarrassed you just now, by saying that."

"I'm not embarrassed at all," I softly spoke, "I'm honored that a beautiful lady like you would feel that way about me."

"Thank you, Bryan," she tenderly cooed, "That was a very sweet thing to say."

"You're welcome, pretty girl," I replied, gently touching her hand.

Before she could say anything, though, I heard Mark's loud ass truck pulling up in my driveway; and I assumed that Tommy and Earl were with him, or at least I hoped they were anyway.

"Excuse me, Penelope," I grinned, "My fabrication team is here."

~~~~~~

Before I even left the kitchen I could hear Mark stomping through the house looking for me. "HEY BOSS," he shouted, "WHERE ARE YOU, DAMMIT?"

"I'M IN HERE," I yelled back.

"WHERE THE FUCK IS THAT?" Mark hollered.

"IM THE KITCHEN, YOU ASSHOLE," I loudly replied, and then I looked at Penelope and whispered, "Sorry about that." She simply shook her head, giggling.

~~~~~~

"I'll be damned," Mark chuckled when he saw me, with Tommy and Earl in tow, "It lives."

"You're insane," I laughed, standing up from the table to hug my three friends, "It's good to see you guys again."

"You, too, Boss," Tommy smiled.

Earl, being the oldest at forty-five, slyly smiled at me the same way he'd always done ever since the first time I met him, and said, "Welcome home, clumsy ass."

I began to laugh and said, "Ain't that the damn truth."

After explaining to them why I'd called them there, I allowed Penelope to explain just how well our invention had gone over with the Board of Directors, as well as some of the modifications that were going to be involved. All three men were ecstatic over the news that the hospital wanted as many of them as they could get there hands on.

Although Earl was not an official employee of my company, I still used him as a subcontractor for all of the specialty items I'd had to install over the years. However, for this project, he was going to have to expand and completely upgrade and renovate his shop to be able to take on the workload that was about to befall him.

And when I brought this to his attention I saw a crestfallen look pass over his face, as he said, "I guess that takes me out of the equation then; because I don't have the money to do it, Bryan. I'm sorry, buddy."

The smile that spread across his face was more than priceless when I replied, "What do you say we form a partnership, and call it B&E Medical Specialty Supply? That way, I can cover the cost of refitting and upgrading your shop, and then bring you in as an entity of RCI so that you'll be bonded and insured."

"Holy shit, Bryan," he stupidly grinned, "That would be great."

"Good," I smiled, "How soon can you be up and running?"

"Let me think," Earl said, momentarily pondering the situation, "It's gonna take at least sixty to ninety days to refit and upgrade the shop. Then I have to find a reliable source of quality materials, and that can take a little time; but overall, I'm fairly sure we can be on line in as little as sixteen to eighteen weeks at the most."

"Alright then," I smiled, "I'm fairly sure that will be acceptable to the hospital's Board of Directors.

Then I turned to Mark and said, "I want you to be in charge of Quality Control, Mark. I'll double your current salary if you'll do this for me, Buddy."

"Are you nuts?" he grinned, "Of course I'll do it. You're gonna have to train me, though."

"Thanks, man," I smiled, "And don't worry, I'll teach you everything you need to know, bro,"

"Now for you, Tommy," I smiled, looking at him, "You're one of the best I've ever seen when it comes to mechanics. That's why I'm going to double your salary, too, and appoint you as the new Chief of Maintenance for B&E Medical and to sweeten the pot; I'll even introduce you to my niece. Oh, and just so you know; she thinks you're hot."

"Really?" he glowed, "Hell, yeah, count me in, boss."

"Where do I fit in to this?" Penelope suddenly asked.

"You, Penelope," I smiled, "Are going to help me design the new modifications that were discussed at that last demonstration."

What about my patients?" she pointed asked, "What am I supposed to do about them?"

"You're not to worry, my dear," I chuckled, "Nathan and Pam are handling your caseload until we're up and running."

"Oh, so, it's Nathan and Pam now," she lopsidedly grinned, "And just how did you pull that off, I wonder?"

"Oh, I told Nathan that I'd make a small contribution to the Children's Cancer Research Center," I knowingly grinned, "He told me he'd see to anything I needed."

"How small of a contribution did you make?" she playfully asked.

"That's for me to know," I teased, lightly touching the tip of her beautiful little nose, "And for you to find out."

"Oh, God," she giggled, "You really are a brat."

~~~~~~

It was close to noon, and before I could ask Penelope what she wanted to do about lunch, Megan and Sam came through the front door chattering like a couple of Magpies.

"Well, hello there, you two," Megan smiled, "How're you feeling today, little brother?"

"Considering that my casts come off in a couple of weeks," I smiled, "I'm feeling pretty good. Thanks for asking, Sis."

"So, what have you two been up to this morning?" my sister slyly asked, glancing back and forth between Penelope and me.

"Do you remember the electric wheel chair I designed to use while I was in the hospital?" I asked, "The one that kept me from having to use that damned bed-pan?"

Megan nodded her head as I continued, "It seems that the Board of Directors at Baptist Hospital wants my company to manufacture as many of them as they can get their hands on."

"Oh, wow, Bryan," she excitedly replied, "Can you pull it off?"

"What do you mean, can I pull it off?" I laughed, "We built the prototype in a matter of a few hours so; this isn't going to be as difficult as it might sound."

"You've forgotten one thing, Bryan," Penelope smiled.

"Is that a fact?" I grinned, "And what, pray tell, might that be?"

"Although you might feel well, you're still not at one-hundred percent...yet," she giggled, "So, if I were you, I'd try and take it easy, at least until the casts come off."

"Yes, mother," I teased, "I promise to be a good boy, too."

Looking at Megan, Penelope giggled and asked, "Has he always been such a brat?"

Oh my God, yes," Megan laughed, "Ever since he was little."

"Yeah," Penelope giggled, "I can believe that."

"Alright, you guys," I smiled, "That's enough of that."

"So, Penelope," Megan smiled, "Ya fee like going swimming?"

"I didn't bring a swim suit," Penelope replied, "Maybe next time."

"Oh come on, girl," Megan grinned, "I'm sure that I can find something that will fit you."

"I've got a better idea," I interrupted, trying to save Penelope from the embarrassment that was showing in the color of her cheeks, "Why don't we go out on the boat? It's nice outside."

"Oh, cool," Sam cheered, "That sounds like a great idea, Uncle Bryan. Wait a minute, what boat?"

~~~~~~

I have a seventy-five foot Searay™ that is moored at Rock Harbor Marina, on the Cumberland River, which also provides access to the Gulf of Mexico from Nashville. It has two Cummings engines, and a generator with four fuel tanks that hold more than enough fuel. It also came equipped with two large staterooms, one forward and one aft, a full bathroom with a shower, and a galley that would rival even the best of the boats of today.

"Damn, Bryan," Megan gasped, "When did you get this thing?"

"Oh, about a year ago," I grinned, "Right after your divorce from shit head was final."

"My father is not a shit head," Sam scowled, her frown suddenly melting into a warm smile, "He's a fucking asshole."

"SAM!!!" Megan scolded, "You shouldn't talk about your father like that."

"It's true, Mom," Sam giggled, "And if anybody knows that, you sure do."

"You still shouldn't talk about him like that, honey," Megan replied.

"That's enough, you two," I laughed, "Jeez, ya'll are so much alike."

"Bull shit," Megan laughed, "She's just like someone else I know when he was little."

"I know you're not talking about me, big sister," I chuckled, Penelope giggling as she stood beside me, "Everyone climb aboard while I untie the boat."

~~~~~~

Megan and Sam were lying in the sun on the aft deck while Penelope and I sat in the flying bridge while I navigated the river.

"It sure is nice and peaceful out here," Penelope replied, as she lounged in the chair next mine, "Thank you, Bryan. I've needed this for quite some time now."

"Good," I smiled, "Sit back and enjoy it then."

"Can I ask you a rather personal question?" she inquired, "If you don't mind, that is."

"Ask me anything you like," I grinned, "I'm an open book."

"Why have you never remarried, Bryan?" she gently asked, "I mean you're one of the most handsome men I've ever seen."

"Nah," I teased, "I'm just a regular guy."

"Are you trying to tell me I have bad taste?" she teased, with mock indignation. I simply shook my head smiling.

"Alright then," she giggled, "Answer my question."

"Okay then, I guess I'm kind of gun shy when it comes to women these days," I solemnly replied, "I just don't want to screw up again, like I did the first time."

"Not all women are like your ex-wife you know," she sweetly said, "At least I'm not."

"I know you're not," I softly replied, gently taking her hand, "You're one of the nicest ladies I've ever met, not to mention that you're more beautiful than any woman I've ever seen."