A Proper Scottish Wife Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I think so," Isobel sighed. "Perhaps it is more how her being strapped would affect me than it would her."

"Still tied to the thing you can't tell me?"

"Yes."

"Then ask yourself, would you willingly subject Màiri to life as a whore rather than have her undergo what you did?"

Ailene thought about it some more. She had enjoyed the sex afterwards. There had been no denying that. Granted, she was no longer a virgin when it happened, but other than Stuart wanting to share her, which she thought was utterly shameful and wicked when it occurred, meant less and less to her now. Her biggest objection to Màiri being paddled was knowing her husband might have sex with Màiri as he had her. That still bothered her tremendously. It was the reason she didn't understand Stuart wanting to share her. How he could still love her after his brothers had used her? But would that pain for her be worse than what Màiri might have to undergo. The answer, to her, was no.

"I think I made a mistake by sending her away," she said.

"It can be undone," Isobel said. "Tell Muiríol that you've changed your mind."

They left the Strapping Room and Ailene locked it behind her. She hoped that she would be in time. They went up to the kitchen and found Muiríol working on the stew.

"I've changed my mind about Màiri. I think she should be strapped. Is she still here?"

"No, Lady Cameron. It didn't take her long to collect her things and she was put out about a half hour ago."

"I was hoping I would be on time. Is Bjarkë still in the courtyard training?"

"They've finished that. I believe he's in the armory working on weapons."

Ailene hurried to the armory, bursting through the door.

"Bjarkë, would it be possible to send several armed men after Màiri? I've made a mistake in sending her away."

"Lady Cameron!" He exclaimed, putting his sword back, having drawn it when she crashed into the room. "It's possible. I can't send out several search parties, but if we know which way she went when she left, I can send men down that road."

"The man who put her out would have seen which way she went; probably towards her family. She has a sick brother."

"I can check to see if anyone knows where she lived before coming here. We'll send out six men on horseback. They should be able to overtake her."

"Please, I would appreciate it if you did. I'm worried for her now and would like to see my error corrected."

Bjarkë had men saddled and off in the direction that she left within half an hour. They were instructed to go all the way to her family's house if they didn't see her on the road, giving them some money for food and medicine. If the family didn't know where she was, they were to send word to Cameron Keep as soon as they knew. She only lived about three miles away. Given the passage of time, she might already be home.

All afternoon as she went about her duties, Ailene worried about the girl and wondered why it was taking so long to find her. When Bjarkë finally told her the men had returned, she rushed out to the courtyard. She didn't see Màiri among them.

"Did you find her? Was she at her family's?" Ailene asked the man in charge.

"Nay, Lady Cameron. We didn't see her on the road and she wasn't with her family. We even tried an uncle's house that she was fond of that her mother said she might be at. They thanked you for the money, and did promise to send word if she showed up at home."

"And her mother had no other idea where she might have gone to?"

He shook his head no.

"Thank you for searching for her. There's hot stew in the kitchen. As soon as you put the horses up, get some for yourself and the lads. I'm even more worried for her now than I was before."

"We can check with the family again tomorrow, Lady Cameron, if you wish."

"I'll talk to Thorburn and Stuart tonight and come up with a plan. I appreciate it."

Isobel showed up beside her.

"Not at home yet?" She asked.

"No, and now I'm afraid."

"She may have stopped at other places where a maid was needed, particularly if she was concerned about money. Might have felt she needed to find another job before going home."

"I suppose. I'll talk to Stuart about it when he gets back."

******

They arrived on McTavish's estate around 10:00 AM. Even before they reached the main house they saw evidence of hunger gripping the general populace. Many of them were in little more than rags as well, worn, threadbare and repaired countless times. They stopped everywhere they saw people and left a little food. When asked why the Cameron's would be feeding them, Thorburn informed them that they would be taking over the property within the month and had heard from Mrs. McTavish that they may be hungry and wanted to ensure that all had enough food to eat so they did not starve before then. Any who appeared to have the strength to follow, they asked to come to the main house where they would like to speak to them.

"She was a good Lady, Mrs. McTavish was, but unable to do much against the will of her husband," one said.

Several people told them the same thing and they felt better about taking both Isobel and property from the despicable hands of McTavish. It was a half hour later that they came up to the manor, and by that time, several of the peasants had joined their retinue.

Abner McTavish came out of the house when they arrived, along with several of his men.

"Come to take over the place already, Cameron?" MaTavish said. "The young one there gave me a month to vacate the premises and deliver the deed. I'd think you'd honor his deal."

"We're not coming to evict you, McTavish. Your Lady was concerned for those you were leaving behind. She didn't think you'd bother feeding any of those who weren't going with you. We don't want anyone to starve to death because you were too miserly to feed them. We're passing out food to any not leaving with you. It's our food to do with as we please. We're giving it to the hungry on your property," Thorburn replied.

"Have you dipped your wick into that skinny shrew, yet?" He said.

Frang hopped off his horse and rushed up to Abner, causing him to draw back and several of his men to put their hands on their weapons.

"You take that back, you penny pinching bastard," Frang said, pushing his face right up to Abner's, his voice low and threatening. "Your wife is a lady and will be treated as such by me and everyone else at the Keep. She's skinny because you didn't feed her enough. She's got bruises all over from where you beat her, and she's only ever spread her legs for you and whatever other bastard you gave her to so you could pay your damn debts. If you impugn her name again, I'll thrash you. Make no mistake about that. And if you think your men can stop that from happening, you don't know me or my family."

Abner McTavish looked around and every one of the Cameron's had hand to sword. He visibly swallowed and choked back whatever retort he'd first thought to offer.

"I'm sorry. It was out of line to say such things about my wife," he said.

"Louder! I want everyone to hear those words come out of your mouth."

Abner said more loudly, "I'm sorry I said such things about Lady McTavish. It was wrong of me to say what I did."

"That's better," Frang said, backing slowly away.

Word had spread of their coming and several other people had gathered about from the house and other nearby crofts.

Thorburn looked around at the curious faces and raised his voice so that he could be heard by all.

"As you may or may not know, this property will soon go to the Cameron's. Lady McTavish was concerned that many of you were going hungry. She asked that we come here and give you food. We've brought a wagon full this time. We can bring more in the future. Take what you need for yourself and others of your neighbors who may not be here now. Don't take more than you need for the next few days, so that all may be fed. This food is only for those remaining on the estate when it passes hands. None of it is to go to or with McTavish or any of those going with him. He can feed himself or not. We'll be leaving a horse for someone to ride over and request more food as you need more or to report if McTavish takes any of it. When the property changes hands, someone will come here and arrange with those remaining to keep up the house and estates. I think you'll find that we don't operate the way McTavish does and you'll all do much better for yourselves than you did before."

Thorburn looked to see the effect of his words on the faces of those around him and seeing the looks of fear and want disappear to be replaced by smiles and relief rewarded his efforts.

Multiple rounds of "Thank you." "Bless you." "Thanks, Lord Cameron." "God's blessings to you, Lord" followed his pronouncement.

He turned again to McTavish. "I'm serious about what I've said. If I find you or any of your cronies have touched a single morsel of this food, or that you beat or harm them in any way before you go, I will hunt you down like the dog you are and horsewhip the skin off your back. Is there any question in your mind whether I mean what I say?"

"No, Cameron. No question."

"Good, because I swear to you that every word I spoke is God's own truth and you can take it as such."

"I understand."

"If I were you, I'd consider giving up gambling, because so far, it's brought you nothing but ruin and damnation. My suspicion is that without this estate to support you or your wife prostituting herself to clear your debts, you'll soon end up in debtor's prison. However, I don't give a farthing for what you do to yourself. That's merely a suggestion based upon the clear evidence of my eyes."

McTavish nodded. Thorburn thought it unlikely he'd listen. He would hope to recoup his losses with further gambling and only undo himself more. Aye, some people had to learn the hard way. They passed out food to all who were there, encouraging them to take enough to feed their nearby neighbors who weren't present.

"My wife sent some herbs to treat some common ailments," Stuart said, loudly. "Is there a wise woman among you who knows how to dispense the herbs appropriately?"

"Granny MacFarland knows, but she's sick herself, I fear from hunger," one of the crofters said.

"Do you know the way to her hut?" Stuart asked.

"Aye."

"Take what food you need and ride with two of our men to her hut. They'll bring the herbs and food for her. We'll check on her status and if she's unable to help others, I'll send my wife to dispense to those that need it."

"Aye, Lord."

"We don't want to waste any time. Hurry up now. You and you," pointing to the two men, "bring one of those horses over for him. Get going."

They brought up a spare horse and took off. After everyone had some food who'd needed it, Thorburn asked for the name of someone who most of them trusted.

"We'll leave the balance of the food with him. If you need more, come to him first to get it," Thorburn said.

They waited until the two riders returned from Granny MacFarland, leading the spare horse. Stuart asked after her health.

"She was weak and malnourished, Lord. But after eating and getting her strength back, she said she'd be able to help any who were to come to her hut. She said it might be a few days before she could do any traveling herself. We left the herbs with her."

"If she can't travel, she can give instructions to those who come on behalf of someone who can't, and they can pass the instructions to the ailing," Stuart said.

"We'll be leaving this horse with the same person we're leaving the excess food with. He or someone else may use the horse to ride to Cameron Keep and request more. No one need worry about starving. Your Lady is still looking after you. We'll be back with more food when you need it. Look after each other," Thorburn ordered.

"Aye, Laird Cameron. Thank the Lady McTavish for us."

"You may rest assured of that," he replied.

They unloaded the balance of the wagon at the designated crofter, leaving the spare horse and all of it's fodder there as well. Finishing up, they started back to the Keep.

"Have you ever seen such a miserable group of people before?" Stuart asked Thorburn.

"Not unless they were suffering from plague, pestilence or famine. The Lady McTavish was right to worry about them. Many of them might have starved if we'd not brought food. It did my heart good to see the relief on their faces when we brought the food."

"I think McTavish himself was the pestilence," Frang said. "His estate should have produced more than enough food and other goods to keep his people from starving. All it required was a little management."

"And did you see the rags that some of them were wearing?" Stuart said. "If we weren't approaching summer, many of them might freeze to death as well."

"Aye, you're right," Thorburn said. "We might want to bring another wagon of woolens and linens the next time we come. I'm sure they can make their own clothes if they have the material. It makes me appreciate your stewardship during our absence and father's illness all the more, Stuart. You did a fine job for our people."

"Thank you, Thorburn. I had a good teacher. Our father was an excellent steward of the estate. I merely followed his example."

"That's why I leave the running of most things to you. You took the time to learn from him. I was gone before I ever did. I do learn from you though."

"I won't let you down, Thorburn."

"I know you won't, lad."

******

The party returned from the McTavish estate soon after the riders sent out to look for Màiri had come back. They were still caring for the horses in the stall when they arrived.

"Bjarkë, why were men sent out on horses today in our absence?" Thorburn demanded.

"Lady Cameron requested we look for a maid, Màiri, whom she released from service today. We sent out a large party on the road she took, going as far as her family home. We did not find her."

"Why was she released from service?" Thorburn asked.

"I believe it was theft, my Lord, though Lady Cameron might be able to say more."

"Where is Lady Cameron, Bjarkë?" Stuart asked.

"The kitchen. They have stew prepared for all of you."

"Let's go speak with her, then," Thorburn said.

They went into the kitchen and everyone got a large bowl of the stew. The three brothers took a seat in the corner with Ailene and Isobel and discussed the events which occurred at the McTavish estate.

"You were right to warn us about the state of things there," Thorburn said. "Many people seemed to be going hungry. Even the wise woman was starving. We gave everyone some food and left a supply there for them to draw from. We left a horse so that they could warn us when they began to run low and we could send some more. Now, mayhap, you can tell us why you released Màiri and why you were then compelled to send men after her?"

"Muiríol caught her stealing and I didn't want her in the Keep anymore. I sent her away, but Isobel told me afterwards what would most likely happen to her given she'd been dismissed for stealing. I decided I'd made a mistake and sent several men after her to bring her back. They weren't able to find her. She wasn't at her families croft yet either, so we left word that they should notify us when she returned and tell her to return."

"Did not Muiríol inform you of what was the normal punishment for thievery?" Stuart asked.

"She did."

"What did Isobel tell you what the likely occurrence once she was dismissed?" Frang asked.

"That no one else would be likely to hire her as a maid and that she would be reduced to selling herself in order to survive," Ailene replied.

"She was right. That is the usual outcome for female thieves dismissed from service. Men often become brigands and cutpurses. They have no honest way to make a living anymore. That's why we usually resort to a strapping for the first, and sometimes even the second offense, depending on the reason for the crime," Stuart said. "So why did you ignore the normal punishment for her offense? Did she say why she stole from us?"

"She said that her brother was sick and required medicine; nothing that we could cure with herbs according the doctor. She said that her family was going hungry trying to provide the medicine."

"And you didn't think that was sufficient justification to send her to the Strapping Room rather than dismiss her?" Thorburn asked.

"That's not it. There was another reason. I cannot speak of it now," nodding to Isobel, "it's family business."

"Isobel, could you please excuse us a moment," Stuart asked. "I should like to know what is going on in my wife's head."

"Certainly, Lord. If you need me, I shall be in my room." She got up and left the room.

"I would like to know if there is some reason that you should not take Màiri's place in the Strapping Room," Stuart said. "The rules we set are pretty clear. Muiríol even reminded you of the normal punishment for Màiri's offense. Yet you chose to dismiss her. Why?"

"I remembered my punishment in the Strapping Room. How I was stripped naked and punished in front of all of you. And when you finished, you each had me, using me in ways I was unaccustomed to. I thought it likely that Màiri was a virgin and I imagined all of you using her as I was used. I couldn't see her be used that way. I could not stand the thought of my husband using her as he used me."

"You must think that we're monsters if that is what you believed would happen to the poor girl. Could you not imagine that we only did what followed the strapping because it was time I felt that my brothers should share you? That we would not do that to everyone who was punished in the Strapping Room? Only you, my love, because I could no longer keep you for myself?" Stuart asked.

"I didn't know. It's been my only experience with the room. I've not seen anyone else be punished nor experienced any further punishment myself. I thought it might be a normal occurrence for the females strapped," Ailene answered.

"That's not the normal procedure for others being punished," Thorburn said. "Normally, you or another woman would be carrying out the punishment. No man would even be in the room. Did you think that we would do the same to men who were strapped? That we would engage in buggery as part of their punishment?"

"I did not know," Ailene cried. "I could only see the wee lass tied to the table and each of you using her maiden body after she'd been strapped. It happened so quickly, I didn't even stop to think. I just had to get her out of there before you all returned."

"Given that you thought we were going to rape the poor lass, why'd you send someone to fetch her back?" Stuart asked.

"After I learned what was likely to become of her, I thought that you would be the lesser of two evils," Ailene replied. "Being deflowered by a trio of kind, thoughtful lovers or a lifetime of debasement parting her legs for whichever man came up with the coin."

"Considering that you thought we were going to rape the wee thing," Thorburn said, "I guess I'm not going to strap you for letting her go, but I'm disappointed that you would even consider that we would do such a thing. I mean, many's the lass that would jump into bed with one of us hoping to attract the favor of a Lord, but you don't see us deflowering them left and right. I'll not say I haven't enjoyed the comfort of a woman now and then, but never a maid, nor a married woman. It wouldn't be right."

"Aye. I'm with Thorburn," Frang said. "I'd not think that we had done aught ill of you, that you would think us capable of such low behavior. Granted, our relationship with you is unique, but all else that you've observed of us would tend to argue against low dealings with the fair sex. That you would think it of me, of us, makes us ill named. Haven't we treated you well, despite the things we've asked of you?"