A Proper Scottish Wife Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My God!" Ailene said. "Why did you stay? Why put up with it?"

"You've seen what he's capable of," Teárlag said. "After my first time with him, I was so terrified, I couldn't leave for fear of what he'd do. I've not even told you the worst of it."

"What could be worse?" Isobel asked.

"He started plotting with McTavish after Abner lost you and his property to Frang. Because McTavish wasn't getting any sex, he gave me to him. Couldn't use my cunt, just my ass and mouth. You know, Isobel. You know how disgusting he is, how badly he stinks. It may be worse after you left as he had nothing. I nearly retched each time he used me. Blackthorne kept me naked the entire time I was at the Manor. Didn't care who saw me that way, the butler, any of his other men, McTavish. I was like a piece of furniture, except I'd scream when he beat me and take his cock when the beating was over."

No one could speak for minutes afterward, imagining what Teárlag went through.

Finally, Frang asked, "What were you tasked to do?"

"I was to seduce one or all three of you, get close any way I could, divulge the smallest detail to him each week when I reported. He even said I could use sex to get what he wanted, though only my ass or mouth again. He wouldn't tolerate any Cameron bastards and there'd be no marriage if I had one. Essentially, I was expected to act like and was treated like the lowest whore by anyone Blackthorne chose to give me to."

Thorburn had stopped pacing. He was no closer, but he was listening to every word.

"Cards for cheating was mentioned by Thorburn when he informed us of your confession. What can you tell me about them?" Frang asked.

"McTavish was given a couple decks of cards Blackthorne found; one to practice and one to play. I couldn't see the cards but Blackthorne said something about the design at the tops and bottoms signifying strength of the card, and that on the sides indicating the suit. He told McTavish when he could go through the deck three straight times identifying which card he held by looking at the back, he could start playing cards again. Gave him another thousand pound stake. He was not to win regularly until you joined the game, then he was to take all the money he could, maybe get his property back although the property would go to Blackthorne, not McTavish except his debt would be forgotten."

"Are these the cards?" Frang asked, tossing them on the table in front of Teárlag.

Teárlag looked at them. "I can't say for sure, I didn't see them, but he did mention they had diamonds on the back, so those might be the ones." She looked at Frang. "How much did you lose?"

He smiled at her. "A lot at first. McTavish talked about taking his wife and property back, but I eventually ended up getting most of a thousand pounds off him before the game ended. I thought something odd about the cards. I had Isobel strike me so I could spill wine on them; get a new deck. After we got the new cards, he started losing consistently, as he usually does. He was close to broke when I left."

"He's not long for this world then," Teárlag said.

"What do you mean?" Isobel asked.

"Blackthorne said he'd kill McTavish if he lost more of his money. He already owed Blackthorne a 1000 pounds. I know he's your former husband so I'm sorry if you still have any feelings for him."

"None at all, thankfully," Isobel replied. "I'd not wish him ill, but I won't be sorry if he dies either, especially if he's been working with Blackthorne."

"What more can you tell us about his plans?" Frang asked.

"Not too much, really. I'm sorry. I wasn't really privy to most of his plans. I happened to hear or see some things because I was there - like I said, a piece of furniture. He didn't mind speaking in front of me because of what would happen if I did, but it wasn't often. Mostly it was just me when I reported. He'd ask a hundred questions about you, beat me and fuck me, then send me away. All I could truly say is there's no one plan. I'm sure he's got a dozen irons in the fire, he keeps poking each one to see which one's hot. While you're reacting to one thing, he'll hit you with another. He's the devil himself."

"Why did you tell Thorburn you were a spy?" Frang asked. "Were you worried we'd find out? You've lost all advantage, your life is at risk because you told. Is this another plot within a plot? Why? Why now?"

Teárlag started crying again. For the longest time, there were no sounds but her pitiable sobs.

"Why, dear?" Ailene asked gently.

"Because I fell in love with Thorburn. Because I love all of you."

Thorburn left the room and Teárlag's sobs increased. Bjarkë entered eventually, Thorburn having taken his place as guard.

"Help me understand, dear," Ailene asked.

Between snivels, Teárlag said, "I was stupid. All people were the same to me. I didn't recognize some were better than others. You were no different from Blackthorne in my eyes in the beginning. More wealthy nabobs who'd looked down on me all my life. I just wanted to join you, become one of you, so I could look down on others. But you showed me some people are different; not all the same. You cared about your servants, you punish yourselves if you harm them. You cared about Isobel when she struck Jinny. You cared about Jinny. Isobel hired Jinny even though she was the source of her punishment. She didn't hold Jinny responsible for her own actions. You cared about Màiri when she disappeared. You cared about her family when she couldn't provide. Thorburn allowed himself to be paddled so Isobel would not believe you were the same as McTavish.

"Thorburn was good to me; you were good to me because I was important to Thorburn, perhaps you even liked me yourself. You didn't shun me because of my reputation. Blackthorne treated me like shit. He didn't care enough about his future wife not to whore her out to McTavish. Even if I'd married him, my life would be a living hell. I suddenly realized I couldn't keep doing what I was doing. Reward your kindness with my duplicity while expecting Blackthorne to be anything other than what I know him to be, a black-hearted bastard. If I would no longer marry him, and loved all of you, what was the point of it all? I decided to flee with the remainder of the money Blackthorne gave me to set up the house in Dervaig. The last thing I wished to do before leaving was tell you, beg for your forgiveness. I was going to catch a ship to London this morning, another from there to anywhere else as far as I could go in hopes he'd never find me."

There was silence as they considered what she said. Frang finally said, "I think we have much more to discuss, but you need to eat lunch. We all need to eat. I remind you not to speak of anything outside this room which you don't want Blackthorne to know. We trust no one but ourselves now, not even our most trusted servants. When we finish eating, we'll return here to speak again, unless you need some rest."

"I didn't sleep well last night, and I am tired, but I'd like to get it over with. I'll come back here and speak, as much as I know."

"If you thought we were going to kill you today, I can imagine," Ailene said.

"Bjarkë, would you please escort Teárlag to the kitchen and make sure she's given food and drink?" Frang asked.

"Aye, nephew. Come along, lass."

"Wait!" Ailene said. "We can't have you seen in the kitchen looking as if you've been crying." She took the edge of her dress and wiped away the tears, pinched her cheeks to give them color, and brushed at her hair to tidy it up. "There, you look a bit more presentable. Perhaps a wet cloth with cold water to reduce the puffiness under your eyes before you eat. Bjarkë, set her up in Thorburn's room before bringing her to the kitchen."

"Thorburn won't much care for that lass. Are you sure?"

"We need to keep everything as much like before as possible. Any changes will be noted," Ailene said.

"She's right, Bjarkë. I'll speak to Thorburn," Frang said. "Make sure to put her things in Thorburn's room. We'll figure it out."

Bjarkë led Teárlag away.

"What do you think?" Frang asked.

"I think she's being truthful," Isobel said. "I can't see the lie behind any of it."

"I agree, unless she's the greatest actress ever seen." Ailene said. "Her heart's an open wound. She's miserable. Imagine coming here expecting us to kill her. I believe she truly repents what she's done."

"Do you think Blackthorne's manipulating her in some way to gain an advantage we can't see yet? That everything he's done was designed to make her reveal herself to us, maybe gain more of our trust in some way?" Stuart asked.

"Plots within plots. God, I hope not," Ailene said, "because I fail to see any advantage to him if that's his plan. I know he's devious, but I lose hope if he finds an advantage to be gained from this. How can we counter his plans if this would be part of it? How do we really ever trust her again? All information she learns from us will be much more limited than it might have been before."

"Aye. I suppose you're right," Frang said.

"I just hope I'm right. Let's eat, I'm starving."

"I noticed you and Stuart missed breakfast this morning," Isobel said, hinting.

"We did, didn't we. No wonder I'm so hungry," Ailene said, smiling at Isobel.

They gathered Thorburn and went to the kitchen. Teárlag was still not there, nor Bjarkë either, so she was likely still getting settled in Thorburn's room. They got some food and sat down. Ailene's plate had more food than she usually ate, but no one commented, least of all, Stuart whose plate was piled high as well. Teárlag came down, her maid and Bjarkë trailing behind. She got some food and was about to sit at another table.

"Teárlag, please join us," Isobel said. "We'd love to hear the latest gossip from Dervaig. Besides, we have lot's to discuss, don't you think? Have you heard Frang and I are building a new house? I'd love to hear your thoughts about decorating it. You have excellent taste. I've seen what you've done with your place in Dervaig."

Teárlag hesitated, then joined them, though she didn't sit next to Thorburn. He was scowling. Frang nudged him, whispering, "You don't have to look happy. You can look serious, but don't look angry. People are watching." Thorburn attempted to wipe the scowl off his face but had difficulty with it.

"I need to see to Màiri's grave," he said, slapping his meat between a couple slices of bread. "She needs to be put in the ground today." He got up and left.

"Her family needs to be notified," Ailene said.

"Thorburn sent word to them this morning. They should be here soon," Frang said. "The priest as well. You'd know these things if you got up at a decent hour."

"I noticed you were walking gingerly this morning," Teárlag said. "Have you injured yourself?"

"Stuart and I are trying to have a baby. He was doing his husbandly duty over and over again, and we may have overdone it."

Isobel and Frang started laughing, Stuart and Teárlag joining a moment later. "So you want to have a child like Frang and I," Isobel said. "Good. They'll have each other to play with."

"These are perilous times," Ailene said. "If anything should happen to him, I want to have a piece of him to cherish always."

Isobel whispered, "I wish this child I'm carrying was Frang's for the same reason. I want to have his children, not McTavish's. If he died tomorrow, I would be left with a piece of that bastard instead of Frang. I'm hopeful it won't be the last child I carry."

"He'll be our child, Isobel, in any way that really matters. I love you and any child of yours will be a child of mine," Frang whispered back.

Tears suddenly ran down Teárlag's face. She got up suddenly, saying, "I'm so tired. I think I'll take a nap. Please wake me for the funeral," and left for Thorburn's room.

"What was that about?" Stuart asked.

"I think she just realized she'd never have a child with the man she loves," Isobel said thoughtfully.

"I think you're right," Ailene said.

******

Màiri's family arrived around 1:30, the priest a half hour later. Ailene sent Muiríol to waken Teárlag after the priest arrived. Muiríol found Teárlag sitting in a chair by the ashes of the cold fireplace.

"Lady Ailene said the funeral's to start soon. Sent me to fetch you."

"Thank you, Muiríol. I'll be down shortly. I'm afraid I don't have a mourning dress."

"I doubt the dead care, Lady. Your most somber one will do fine, I'm sure."

"I'm sure you're right. The dead don't care. Please send my maid to help me dress."

"Yes, ma'am."

Teárlag came down about fifteen minutes later and was directed to the family cemetery, just outside the Keep. Forty men at least must have been standing guard nearby. Isobel and Frang had no mourning clothes either. Stuart, Ailene, Thorburn and Bjarkë were all attired in their Sunday best. Thorburn must have dressed after leaving lunch, she hadn't seen him in his room. He looked so splendid in his dress kilt, tall, big and manly, but so mournful, Teárlag wanted to go and comfort him, but realized he'd take no comfort from her. Màiri's family was beside the grave, staring down at her pine box. Someone had arranged chairs for them and they all sat in stunned silence, silent tears running down their faces. The priest checked to be sure no one else would be coming.

"Before beginning, Laird Cameron would like to say a few words."

Thorburn nodded to the priest and turned to the family.

"I failed you in my duty to keep your family safe. You entrusted me with your daughter, expecting me to return her to you as you left her with me. I failed my duties to you and her. I'm deeply sorry, Rupert, Bess and Rob, I cannot return your daughter, your sister, to you, bright and shiny and happy. All I can offer in return is a box, a place to rest, and my sincerest apologies for my failure with this promise. I will hold the man responsible for her death accountable for what happened to your beloved girl and seek God's own vengeance on the unholy soul who took her life. If you want for anything, don't hesitate to ask. I owe it to you and more. You're welcome to move here to look after her grave, but even if you choose not to, rest assured, it will be cared for as if it were my father's."

"Thank you, Lord Cameron," Rupert said.

The priest conducted the Rites and there were few dry eyes as he spoke the words. No mention was made of her many injuries, the horrible condition her body was discovered in, but all who were present knew. Those who'd not witnessed it first hand, were informed in gruesome detail of the mutilation of her body. No one believed the poor girl had deserved the fate she'd been given. Teárlag was particularly distressed, having known the suffering of the poor child in Blackthorne's hands. The family had met all the Camerons by now and were surprised a stranger to them was so distraught over their daughter's death. They remained mystified as no one explained her connection to their daughter.

The service ended and flowers were cast on the casket, then Stuart, Frang, Thorburn and Bjarkë started filling the grave as Isobel and Ailene comforted the family. When she was finally laid to rest, Thorburn invited them into the Keep for food and to share stories of their daughter when she was younger. Everyone started moving into the Keep, but Frang took Thorburn's arm and bid him delay a second.

When no one stood near, Frang said, "We had to put Teárlag into your room, Thorburn."

"I want nothing to do with her, Frang. You know that. She betrayed us all. I detest the very ground she walks on."

"I know, brother. I'd feel no different if it was me. But if she's not in your room, Blackthorne will hear of it. Things have to remain the same or he'll know something's wrong. If we're not careful, we may end up burying another who's been tortured worse than Màiri. As much as you hate Teárlag, I know you don't wish that upon her."

"No," Thorburn admitted. "I just wish to never see her again. Isn't there anything else we can do?"

"If you'd been more discrete when she was here before and snuck into her bedroom at night instead of moving her into your room, I'm sure we could do something else, but any sudden change will arouse suspicion; suspicion which can't fall on Teárlag until we know what we're going to do. I'm sorry, brother. You can sleep on the floor or you can make her sleep on the floor, but it's your room she must be in."

"Fine," Thorburn grunted. "Fuck."

They went inside the Keep, twenty guards surrounding them as they moved. They ate and listened to tales of Màiri as a baby, a little girl, a young woman. They talked about a daughter and a sister. Ailene told them she knew Màiri was working to help her family, and especially how she wanted to get a doctor for Rob. She didn't say how she knew; how Màiri pleaded to be paddled instead of discharged so she could continue supporting them, only that she knew, and it was kind and unselfish of her to care so much for her family. Ailene cried quietly as she spoke, wishing now she would have listened to Màiri's pleading.

Around four, Rupert explained they needed to head home, it was a long ride. They thanked the Camerons for their hospitality. When Rupert reached Ailene, he whispered, "I don't blame you for what happened. Many's the people would have done worse than you did. I put blame where blame is due, and it's not with you."

"I'm so sorry for you loss, Rupert. You'll never know."

"I know Lady. You've tried to atone a hundred times over. Some folks think I have the second sight. I've been known to be right about a few things. I know somehow you're going to help me get justice for my Màiri. I feel it in my bones. Good evening to you and thank you."

Ailene hugged him, then Bess, and lastly, Rob. "If you need help, Rob, you know where to find it. I mean to step in since Màiri can't help anymore."

"Thank you ma'am...I mean Lady."

"Why don't you call me Ailene. I shall be your sister now and I don't expect my brother to call me Lady." She kissed him on the forehead.

"Yes, Lady...I mean Ailene."

"Good lad. Take care of your folks now. They need you more than ever."

"I will...Ailene. You can depend on me." She hugged him again.

After all guests were gone and things back to normal again, Frang said to Teárlag, "We're having a family meeting. Would you like to attend?"

"Thank you, I'd enjoy that."

"Come along then." He escorted her towards the basement again. The women waited while the men searched the basement, then they all went into the strapping room while Bjarkë stood guard at the top of the stairs again. Thorburn was back in the room, though still staying far from Teárlag. They invited her to sit again on the strapping table.

Sitting down, Teárlag said, "What more do you wish to know?"

"Everything," Frang said.

"I don't know everything. I'm not even sure if I know enough to help you," she responded.

"Since we just buried Màiri, I'd like to know more about her and what you knew," Ailene said.

"She'd been there a few weeks, never speaking to me, a pitiful creature if I ever saw one. I knew she was in pain, she groaned almost continuously. Finally, she spoke to me, asking me to end her life. I told her I couldn't, it would be murder, she had to find a way to end it herself. She said she couldn't commit suicide; it was a mortal sin. She said I'd put down a horse if it was suffering, why not her. I told her I didn't find it in my best interests to do things contrary to Blackthorne's will. I'd find myself in the cage instead if I killed her.

"It was the first time I asked Blackthorne who she was. He said only that she was a servant girl and he was getting information from her. I said I was sure she'd told him everything she could possibly know within the first week and what was the point of more. He said different questions asked in a slightly different way get different answers and he must ask over and over to see if until the answers remained the same. He also said he might want to keep her around a little to see how long he could make her last. He wondered why I cared about a lowly servant girl, so I shut up. That was the first time I saw him with McTavish. McTavish said he'd leave a couple spies on the property to get even with you, if Blackthorne would forgive his debt, over a thousand pounds. Blackthorne agreed only if his spies provided the help he needed to bring you down. McTavish saw me standing naked in his office and asked to use me. Blackthorne gave me to him for the first time. McTavish was so long without sex at that time, he climaxed in both my ass and my mouth within fifteen minutes. Of course, I was doing everything in my power to get it over with."