A Proper Scottish Wife Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They heard a loud crack and looked over to Thorburn who stood with the back brace of a chair broken in his hands.

"Why did you decide to release her?" Isobel asked.

More tears began flowing down her cheek. She said, "I found out from you who she was at the Midsummer Festival. I knew she was important to you. By this time, I'd already decided I couldn't do this anymore. It was only a question of when I left. The next time I was there, I left her cage open and tried to distract Blackthorne as long as possible to give her a chance to escape. I had to do it as I arrived as both of us leaving at the same time would be too obvious. That was the day Blackthorne gave McTavish the rigged cards. I was able to keep him occupied for about three hours. As failing to notice she was gone was equally foolish as releasing her later, I finally asked when she'd died. He told me she didn't. Then why was she no longer in his dungeon - I said I thought he'd rid himself of her body after she died. He went rushing down to his dungeon screaming people didn't die on him unless he wanted them to die. I suggested perhaps the people who gave her food and water were careless and left her cage open. You know everything I know about what happened afterward. When I left, I looked for her in case she'd only passed out in the tunnel, but she was gone. I only wish I'd found the courage to do it earlier."

They were all silent, thinking.

"How often did you meet?" Frang asked.

"Usually once a week, on Sunday."

"Today is Sunday," Ailene said.

"I can be late if doing so means I'm with you, getting more information," she said.

"So he won't be particularly upset if you don't come today?" Ailene asked.

"No, although if I don't go by Tuesday, I should send word."

"Where did you meet?" Frang asked. "I mean it's obvious you met there most of the time, but do you just go to the Manor?"

"No. He wanted to keep our connection hidden from all but a few of his most trusted people. Are you familiar with Achnadrish?"

"The village Blackthorne razed and threw all the people out of," Stuart said.

"Yes. Not all the homes were razed. A couple were left standing. In one of them, there's an entrance to a tunnel leading to Blackthorne's dungeon. That's how I entered all but the first time when he made his offer. It's how Màiri got out."

Thorburn spoke for the first time. "Is there any way we could use the tunnel to gain entry to Blackthorne Manor?"

Teárlag didn't answer right away, thinking about it. "I don't believe you could approach with a large group or by day. A small group at night might get in, three or four people in total darkness. He keeps a tight watch on the house, knowing it's a way for people to enter. If they sound the alarm, hundreds of men will be inside and outside the Manor, dozens in the dungeon which can be locked down tight, more will be coming for you there, trapping you in the tunnel. I think if you tried to go in there, you'd be signing your death warrant."

"Could you draw a map or picture showing which is the house with the tunnel in it?"

"Yes, but I think you make a mistake if you try to go that way, Thorburn. Please try to think of another plan. This one will get you killed."

"I'm not ready to blindly go after Blackthorne this way, but we've been reacting. It's time to go on the offensive. To do that, we need intelligence. This is a start. I won't ask you to do it tonight, but please draw the map first thing tomorrow. Write down everything you remember."

"I will."

"I'd like to know something," Ailene asked. "Did you ever learn why he hates the Camerons so much?"

"I think so. McTavish asked why while he was fucking me. Blackthorne said when he was a young man, there was a shipwreck and an Englishwoman named Beatrice was rescued. She was slightly older, but he apparently loved her, as did Jamison Cameron and many others. She was courted by both men and she chose Jamison. Calum Blackthorne was devastated and challenged Jamison to a duel. Jamison handily disarmed him and after he did, swatted him on the bottom and said something like wait until you're out of diapers or grow up before you challenge a man. Everyone laughed at him, including Beatrice. I thought at the time if he'd married Beatrice, Stuart would have been his son."

Silence, total silence. Not even a breath could be heard, as if all were holding it.

Ailene was the first to speak. "It would explain both why he hates Camerons and why he hates women. He was bested by Jamison and the woman he loved laughed at him when he lost." She looked at Stuart. "Be careful, love, you're the son of the woman who scorned him, the child he didn't have. He'll hate you the most."

"An argument over a woman, our mother, because she was mother to us all," Stuart said. "It's almost mundane. So much hate over such a small thing."

"I thought so too," Teárlag said. "Jamison could have killed him, Blackthorne issued the challenge. He laughed at him instead. For this people are dying, being tortured. If Jamison killed him, none of this would be happening. It seemed stupid to me."

Frang looked around at his family; his brothers, Stuart's wife, Isobel. Now they knew what fueled the hate. God help them if any should fall into Blackthorne's hands. What had happened to Màiri would be a mere fraction of what he would do to them.

"Teárlag, thank you for speaking to us. I know it's been a difficult day for you. We'll let you retire and get some sleep," he said. "Bjarkë will escort you to your room."

"I know it's too little, too late, but I'm sorry for all I've done to you," Teárlag said. She got up and Ailene escorted her to Bjarkë and asked him to take her to Thorburn's room. She waited there for Bjarkë to return so none could pass through to the basement until he could again block the entrance.

When she returned, mostly there was silence. Frang and Isobel held each other, whispering, Thorburn was pacing and Stuart deep in thought. When the door opened, they looked up and Stuart opened his arms to his wife. She melted into him.

"What do we do with this information?" Frang said.

"Do we even trust this Jezebel?" Thorburn asked. "She's as false as Delilah, looking to weaken Samson. Everything she's told us since the beginning is a lie. Do we believe her now or is this another Blackthorne trick?"

"I don't think she's lying to us now, brother," Stuart said. "Everything rings true. She hasn't minimized her responsibility. It was greed that drew her in, fear which kept her in. I sincerely believe she wants out."

"I'll not trust her again," Thorburn said. "Once burned, twice shy."

"What shall we do with her," Isobel asked, "help her out of the country? She was going to flee today and we've delayed her departure?"

"I'd like to see if she can get more information about Blackthorne and his plans," Thorburn said.

"You'd have her go back knowing what he does to her each time she goes?" Ailene asked. "That doesn't sound like you, Thorburn."

"She whored herself for him; why not whore herself for us if she truly wants to atone? It wouldn't have to be much longer. Perhaps we move her into the Keep after to protect her until we get her out of the country, but I'd definitely like to see which building the tunnel is located in and how to get in the tunnel."

"If she is false, why believe her? Couldn't she be leading you into a trap?" Frang asked.

"She wouldn't have to know," Thorburn said. "I say Stuart and I sneak out tomorrow night under cover of darkness with a scouting glass. Let her report to Blackthorne on Tuesday. You, Isobel and Ailene return to Lady Luck Farm the same day she leaves, everything else to remain as normal as possible. We'll watch what building she goes in; if it's the same as on the map she draws for us, we check where Blackthorne may have watchers. If it is, wait until nightfall and check the house, see if we can get in the tunnel. Don't let Teárlag know we've followed her and checked it out. It's nearly a new moon, and the following night will be pitch black. It's our best chance to scout."

"Knowing what happens to her every time she sees Blackthorne, it has to be her decision if she goes back," Isobel said. "I'll not force any woman to go through what she does. It was unbearable to me, Thorburn. It was like being raped each time my husband took me or gave me to some other, not to mention the beatings. You know what I was when I came here, a cowed little mouse. She agrees or we let her go; help her to leave. Even asking her is disgusting to me."

"I'll agree to it. She volunteers or she's gone," Thorburn said.

"Then we'll speak to her tomorrow," Frang said.

"Agreed."

"Let's retire. It's been a long day."

They all made their way to their respective rooms. Thorburn grabbed additional bedding from the closet and entered his room. Teárlag hadn't retired, she was sitting in front of the fire.

"Why haven't you gone to bed?" Thorburn asked. "You said you were tired."

"I know you don't want to sleep with me anymore. I thought I'd stay here by the fire and let you have the bed."

"Don't bother. I've slept on the ground more times than I can count. You take the bed, I'll sleep here," he said, indicating a corner of the room.

"It's your bed. It doesn't feel right."

"Right be damned. Take it. Sleeping on the floor will allow me to sleep lighter in case you want to stab me in my sleep."

She started crying again, no sound, just tears running down her cheeks. She got up, removed her outer dress and got into the bed. Thorburn put his bedding on the floor, banked the fire, blew out the candles and lay down facing away from the bed.

The room went silent. Thorburn turned on his back and stared up at the ceiling, his hands behind his head.

"I'm sorry, Thorburn," Teárlag whispered.

"I don't care if you're sorry, whore. Be quiet and let me sleep."

For the next half hour, he heard quiet sobs from the bed until she cried herself to sleep.

******