All Comments on 'A Summer on the Road Pt. 01'

by cerrotorre

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
richieyeahrichieyeahover 7 years ago
Cool introduction

Cool introduction, nice setup.

now i want to read more, so i hope you follow through and keep the chapters comming

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
She needs a CDL

For realism's sake, Jane has to first go over the points required on the Commercial Driver's License permit exam. The company's insurance policy would never cover any accident in a truck being driven, even just on the yard, by a trainee without his CDL permit. This includes the full truck inspection at the beginning and end of every shift.

The technique of getting into the truck using the handholds is called the three-point entry: one foot and two hands, or two feet and one hand, at all times.

SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousover 7 years ago
Interesting beginning

I must agree with Anonymous re: the CDL. This is not the old days in which a guy could get into a vehicle and learn on the job. Miss those days, though I do, times are changing. Her first day on the job would be getting the study materials and readying herself for the written exam and getting a learner's permit.

I recognize the difference between her and a regular driver, so there was no major issue with her being given a preperatory look at the truck, but that would not be key to the training. Might I suggest you touch base with a trucking company or a local owner-operator and tell them you are researching for a story. You could probably get a day riding with a driver seeing the job from the inside, as it were, and getting a feel for the industry. Who knows, but it will probably make you a much better driver, yourself, even if you never drive one of the rigs. It's a much different perspective from one of those cabs than from a four-wheeler. (What truckers call cars, and it is not normally complimentary. :-) )

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Great start

CDL regulations aside, it's a Very good start and an interesting premise for a story

Just_John1Just_John1over 7 years ago
Suspension of Disbelief

Great Characters, well written with an interesting premise. I was disappointed when it was such a short chapter, I want to read more. The art of suspension of disbelief is what keeps us reading stuff. Don't sweat the details, go with the flow. This isn't a how to document in how to become a truck driver. As an author, I really struggle when readers completely miss what the story is about and get so hung up on some meaningless Details. Really enjoyed this, I will be reading more of your work. Thanks

JJ1

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Chapter 2?

Where is chapter 2????

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
looking forward

very nice stories. I look forward to more about paul and jane and also rob, joanne and shannon.

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Funny and Dangerous Romance?

The story looks funny and points to a dangerous Romance. Does Paul fall in love with the boss's daughter?

And what will the boss say? And the daughters of Paul?

I'll read the next chapter.

5 * for you.

I apologize for my English (yet), is not my native language.

rightbankrightbankover 6 years ago
Instead of being caught between a rock and a hard place

He is between a warm and a soft place.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Too many mistakes

In serious need of editing to find the many, many typos and spelling errors.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Speechless

I’m speechless about some of the feedback trying to critique the specifics to the story. All I can say is that I really like the storyline so far. I don’t know why so many people feel the need to criticize and be judgy but I guess everyone wants to be self important. Technicalities like which licensing and what you think or “know” the process should look like doesn’t matter here. That research should be saved for authors who make tons of money putting out their stories. They have the time and resources to devote to that. Plus, I don’t see you writing a story that is so captivating you can’t stop reading until you get to the end. And this is just chapter 1. I find myself easily putting a story down and picking back up later on most occasions but it turns out this story had me waiting for the next word. And yes, there were typos but can anyone say they’ve ever read a book/story that didn’t have at least one? The premise to the story is not lost so don’t pretend it’s a dealbreaker or an end all. I am ready to read more! 5 stars from me. Your story telling is fantastic, in my opinion. And while I spoke to the opinions of others, they are entitled to their opinion, just as I am entitled to mine. Thx.

Ravey19Ravey19almost 2 years ago

I'm going with it. Don't know all the techie stuff and I suppose an author here as elsewhere should know it but this is a free site and there's a degree of latitude we can give as it's difficult to dream up new scenarios for any story here.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

into the "firing line'!!

will look forward to next segment...5

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usercerrotorre@cerrotorre
Dear readers, Part 8 and the final chapter of A Summer of Submission has been submitted for review. In it, Julie's friend comes for a visit and arrives earlier than expected. A big surprise awaited. I hope you enjoy it. From some of the comments I gather this story is no...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories