A Tiny Slip Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But I didn't die." I said. "So this office does not pass into your hands yet."

"Nor do I want it to." Cindy said with alacrity. "Except for the Chief's office, this room is right where you belong."

"No." I said. "I belong at home, in bed. I am exhausted. Let's go."

"I need to go to my office first." Cindy said. "You go ahead, and I'll follow when I'm done."

I knew what she was doing; I had observed that she had left her keys on my desk when she left the room. I put them in my center desk drawer, letting what needed to happen... happen.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After seeing Don drive away in his Police SUV, Cindy walked back to his office. She did not see her keys on his desk, and realized he'd probably put them in his desk drawer. Sitting in his chair, she opened the drawer and found the keys... and the envelope next to them. Pulling it out, she saw the words scrawled upon it that said "Upon my death, please have Todd Burke give this to his assistant Mariko."

Cindy's father, Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart, was a wise man, but also had his own extensive web of knowledge. He had told her that Todd's assistant was the sister of the late Takaki Taichi, who'd sacrificed himself to destroy the rogue Corrigan Cell... and this meant Mariko was the daughter of Takaki Misaki, one of the most powerful and well-connected men in the World. And Cindy knew that Don truly meant for this envelope to go to Takaki Misaki.

The envelope was not sealed. Unable to contain her curiosity, Cindy opened the envelope and took out the rice paper inside. There was writing in hiragana script as well as English. It read:

Like the dew I was born,

Like the vanishing wind, I am gone;

My life, and all that I have done,,

Is but a dream within a dream.

It was Don's death poem.

Cindy sat back in the chair, oblivious to all but her own deepest thoughts. There probably really was no way to prevent 2000 people from being put in mortal danger, but Don had let the Consultant spring the trap... and had been prepared to die himself to take down Westboro. It was more than a 'hair-brained scheme' on Don's part... he had gone into battle with the expectation of his own death.

He had even written his death poem...

Cindy sat there for a very, very long time, trying to process the enormity of it, the sheer magnitude of what had happened.

Part 26 - Epilogue

As I drove out of the parking lot of Police Headquarters, I noticed a small, sleek jet coming in for a landing at County Airport to my north. I drove east on College Avenue in the darkness of the night, seeing my Town in a new way, a different way... free of the pestilence that had held it hostage for these past number of years.

The FBI was making arrests across the country. I knew I was going to be busy, very busy, over the coming days, heck---- weeks, and that I'd be spending a lot of time in Courtrooms, testifying to make Juries understand the complex financial twists and turns this evil man had used to hide his Empire of Crime.

I was tired. It was very good to be able to get into bed and go to sleep. Restful, deep sleep...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I woke up. My mind was still not fully awake, but I felt strange. I sat up in the darkness, hearing nothing but the hum of the air conditioner. Only the light of a streetlight through the window of the sitting room provided illumination.

My wife had awakened. "Don, what is it?" she asked. "What's the matter?"

"I... nothing." I said, gathering my wits. I looked at Melina, my wife, and said "Honey... you won't believe the dream I just had..."

Finis?!?! To be continued?!?!