All Comments on 'A View from the Bottom'

by Cromagnonman

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

A solid and entertaining story, as good as usual. Five stars. Too bad it isn't that easy in real life.

SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermitabout 11 years ago
A little Fast

Loved the story but...I felt it needed another page or two. Our hero went from losing a promotion and wife to an asshole to on top of the heap way too fast. I did like the way he was able, with the psychologist's help, to use James' personality and actions against him. I just felt there needed to be more explanation and machinations between each of the salient points. Well written and entertaining to say the least. I really like it when the good guy wins and comes out of the mess stronger.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
A better way of payback

No wimping out. No one shot or killed. The "slimy bastard" and unfaithful wife got what they deserved.

Boyd Percy

MrVdogMrVdogabout 11 years ago
Mr. Slimy's offense was not

'libel' it was 'slander'

gravyruggravyrugabout 11 years ago
A good plot

But, as with many of your stories, a bit too fast, skipping over details that would make it much better. Going from deep depression to over-the-top happiness in less than two weeks is pushing it, especially for the situation presented. Going from therapist/patient to lovers in the same time is unrealistic at best, if not outright unethical. I can see the events here happening, but not nearly as fast, or as smoothly as they did. I'd love to see an expanded version of this story, with a more gradual change in both the depression and the relationship with the therapist.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Dammit,

I so very much wanted the good Doctor to be Slimy's wife (Not likely) Ex-wife (more probable) or Sister (quite possible), to extract that extra ounce of angst.

But then I always do want an extra extra twist in the tale.

Cheers, and Thanks

Kilroy

OldmarriedtarOldmarriedtarabout 11 years ago
PHONY

This is a story about revenge. I suffer from depression. There is NO cure. Nowhere did I read anything close to the torment, fear and hopelessness you go through when your at the bottom. What was presented was very milk toast. You can not completely overcome the negativity by yourself. I was only able to recognize that I needed help but that was all. Action by you is required to aid recovery before leading a "normal life." Being proactive. Sleeping pills do help. Sleeping pills are addictive, so what, there is no cure for depression. To believe otherwise is asking for disaster. If you suffer from depression you need professional help. I can hear it now "but not me."

OldmarriedtarOldmarriedtarabout 11 years ago
Now to the story.

Adrian has depression. Therefore he is pushing Heather away like there is no tomorrow. That is you do when you suffer from depression. Slimy takes advantage of the situation and between Adrian's pushing and Slimy's pulling Heather succumbs. Why am I having problems with your logic. I know I know, know matter who does what, when or how the wife is always to blame?

Suite21menSuite21menabout 11 years ago
Rising Up

A new woman's love and affection is the ladder/elevator from the pits of despair when the cause of depression is a lost woman's love.

Wonderful story! Thanks for posting. Just what I needed today.

flodnarflodnarover 9 years ago
Sweet revenge

A very well written story that keeps you looking at the players and the psychological understanding the write has for the human psyche.

A 5!

snathsnathover 9 years ago
We all fall into the pit

While fallen in a pit, may be the story outlines an inspiration to us. Thanks.

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 9 years ago
Another insightful and well told story

Yes all of us do spend tim,e in that well and some of us are shat upon by those who worked to put us there - he was a strong man who did not yield completely - and the found the courage to climb out again.

You do not count the number of times you get knocked down - but the number times you get back up again -

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Not Depression

As someone who has dealt with a rather severe case of clinical depression for over 10 years, I can tell you that he is down in the dumps sad, but he doesn't have true depression. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, not by circumstance. Yes, circumstances can make existing depression better or worse, but that's never the cause.

Why does it matter? I was drawn to this story because of the description and title and I imagine many other depressed people are, yet the misinformation about depression and it's treatment could be potentially damaging to such people. For instance, people to whom drugs are prescribed need to take their medicine, and you don't seem to understand the crucial role that anti-depressants play in treating it. There's enough stigma about anti-depressants and other mood altering drugs without adding to it.

auhunter04auhunter04over 6 years ago
God Save me

dear annon 06/30/17. There are various types of depression. Some like you claim are "clinical" other are transitory in nature. How the FUCK do I know? I suffered with clinical depression for some 30+ years. Been hospitalized twice for depression/anxiety/suicidal issues. Basically depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. NOW here is the big part, take note, your life will be your test and grade. Yes it is easy to slip into negative self escapism. On my second visit to the hospital, my counselor said something that clicked with me. It is MY choice how I let this imbalance impact me and I decided to be happy. Not an easy journey and I have fall backs frequently but for the most part I am happier.-----Now for our hero, I do not recall it being stated that he was considered clinical. People have bad days, has spells and usually they can climb out w/o help. Given the situation our hero was in he needed some outside support. I strongly suggest you refrain from taking issue with any other writer talking about this condition.--I might also note that my depression shit was caused by a Traumatic Brain Injury that went un-diagnosed from my late teens until about the last 18-24 months I am deeply sorry that you are struggling. I am 68 years old...the people you have been working with have told you to get a hobby. Partner they are right

maurypmaurypover 1 year ago

Its a story, quit using the comments to talk about your problems, fucking democrats. It was a great story to me. thanx

Diecast1Diecast1over 1 year ago

Great story, love it. AAAAAA++++++

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCromagnonman@Cromagnonman
I'm a pretty normal average male, chronologically well over 18 but psychologically I'm not so sure. I have been writing as a hobby for many years and now that I have time on my hands I am looking to become more professional at it. I enjoy reading, morning walks along the river...

story TAGS