All Comments on 'Abby Ch. 05'

by Kezza67

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
bruce22bruce22almost 11 years ago
Great Story

The details of the countryside, the way of life and the characters are breathtaking

HansTrimbleHansTrimblealmost 9 years ago
Sort of a turning point . . .

. . . in the story, and a good place for me to pause and comment on what I've read so far. First off, the story is fascinating. I suppose it would be no matter how you told it, but starting off with events leading up to a suicide got my attention riveted, and then following along with Abby as she unearths one clue after another to her family history, is so effective that I couldn't imagine it being told any other way.

My next observation possibly should have been first -- this is written as well as any book that I have ever bought in a bookshop, and way better than most of them. The quality of your writing is on a level with Grisham and LeCarre. There was a time in my life when I would have wished I could write as well as you do; now I am simply elated that you can write that well.

Third, I'm so glad that there are thirty-one more chapters to go. I'm sure that I'll be sad to turn the last page of this story.

Thank you so much for this warm, appealing tale about one woman's search for her roots, and as a bonus, your delightful word pictures of the unspoiled countryside, mixed in with your revelations of the ways that British customs and class barriers have changed in the post-WW2 era.

Hans

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
If we were reading a play

we would just now be at the end of the first scene. the cast of characters in the country has been introduced and the plot put forward.

close curtain while the stage is reset.

this is so well written it is a delight to read

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
OK 'rightbank' , pull your tonque out of this British faggot ass !

What a degenerate lowlife ! Fucking worthless Brits ! "1*" !!

DieAlteRomantischeDieAlteRomantischealmost 7 years ago
It's a pity

...that we mere readers can't vote to expunge comments whose fathomless want of value precludes their right or need to exist. I speak, of course, of our favorite, anonymous, who takes it upon himself--one cannot imagine a woman so bereft of common decency--to offer groundless, vulgar condemnations of writings that for reasons unknown offend him. I realize this violates the First Law Of Internet Exchanges, to wit: Don't feed the troll. So be it; it simply doesn't seem sufficient to content myself with fulgent praise of the author's work in creating these characters, this time, this place, and this story, so kudos and brickbats in equal measure.

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11over 3 years ago

Beautifully written with just the right ending to draw us along

Wildwood55Wildwood55almost 2 years ago

When Mavis presented the photos, I decided to try a Google search on GWR pillbox hat & GWR frock coat, and was rewarded with images of both to augment the verbal description. I encourage others to do the same. They are articles of clothing from a co pletely different era, making them difficult to visualize.

Wonder if there some train &/or station images, as well.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous