Abby Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Perhaps I did."

James and Abby left the track some way before the river crossing, and struck out through the fields, which took them to Gallow Farm. Abby was surprised that there was no reception until they had walked the horses into the yard. Roger was the first to appear, and upon seeing them; shouted in the direction of a small cottage, standing a few yards away from the Farmhouse.

"Mum! Dad! Mr. James and Miss Tregonney are here." He walked over and held Jason's reins while Abby dismounted. Abby realised that she had met Roger before, one evening at the Combe Inn, without knowing that he was Sam's son.

"Hello Roger, sorry to drop in on you unannounced."

"Unannounced?" His voice was incredulous. "Mum saw you going up the track earlier today, and has been on tenterhooks ever since, wondering if you would come by, needless to say all the best China has been got out, and washed, just in case. Dad has been going around like someone with a secret all day, as if he knew you were likely to call in."

Roger was not allowed to say anymore, as Mavis came rushing out, wiping her hands on a pinafore, which she was trying to take off at the same time. "Abby, Mr. James, it's so nice you could drop by, come in, don't stand there, you will have some tea won't you?"

"Hello Mavis, yes I would love a cup of tea." James winked at Abby, behind Mavis' back.

"Mavis I would like to have a chat with Roger about Lower Penny, may I join you in a minute?"

"Business, business, it's all you men ever think about." She looked at James accusingly, "I hope you haven't been boring this young lady with talk of farming and cattle all day?"

"Would I dare?"

"Humph, I wouldn't put it past you. Now come along Abby, and I'll put the kettle on." Abby looked at James who was grinning, and shrugged her shoulders, then followed Mavis who had set off at a determined pace for the cottage.

Abby caught her up. "Don't you live in the Farmhouse?"

"No Love, when Sam handed the farm over to Roger, we moved into the cottage. It's much more comfortable than that draughty place, and big enough for the two of us. The Farmhouse is a family home, Roger and Val can get on with their lives without Sam and me cluttering the place up."

They entered the cottage through the back door, straight into a well-kept and modern kitchen. Wooden fitted units lined two of the walls, with a worktop running almost the whole length. Set into the worktop against the window wall was a double sink and drainer. A large scrubbed-top table dominated the centre of the room.

"Now I'm sure you will want to wash your hands, there's a bathroom just through there, to the right." Abby smiled, she would indeed like to 'wash her hands', even following Mary's advice about drinking, had not prevented a certain discomfort on the ride down the valley. Mavis like all women would be aware of the priorities.

Refreshed she joined Mavis in the kitchen, where the kettle was just coming to the boil. Her hostess was busy setting out cups, saucers, milk-jug, sugar bowl, and various plates all of it lavishly decorated with Acanthus scrolls and leaves, picked out in a dark blue. "Would you like to sit in here, or shall we go through to the Sitting room?"

Abby eyed the ladder-back chairs, which were set round the table, each seat was covered with a cushion tied on with strings at the back corners, after the hard saddle, they looked very comfortable. "In here would be fine."

Mavis smiled. "Oh good, I'm much happier sitting at the table, sit yourself down, don't wait on ceremony." Abby sat. "Now," said Mavis, "how has your day been?"

Abby smiled inwardly. "I have really enjoyed myself. The valley is beautiful. James was right; the best way to see it is on horseback. Mary packed us a superb picnic, and James even brought a bottle of wine, which was lovely. He's been the perfect gentleman all day."

"Oh," said Mavis in a slightly disappointed tone.

"We walked into the old quarry, and he had to hold my hand when the ground was difficult."

"Oh," said Mavis in a much warmer tone.

"He took me out on the viaduct."

"He did what?" asked Mavis in a voice that threatened retribution.

"He took great care of me all the while, and I got some great photos."

"He's no business taking you out there, that thing is dangerous, anything could have happened."

"Please Mavis, don't go shouting at him, he's looked after me and I have enjoyed his company."

Mavis's face cleared. "Well I suppose no harm's done, and if you enjoyed yourself, that's all that matters."

Abby felt a little guilty, as she had been teasing Mavis in the most gentle way, but Mavis appeared not to recognise the tease. She poured, asking Abby how she took her tea, and after pouring one for herself, poured one other, with just a splash of milk, and one spoon of sugar.

"Whose tea is that?" asked Abby

"Oh, that's for Mr. James."

"You know how he likes his tea then?" Mavis nodded.

"Yes, I've made many a cup of tea for him, especially a few years ago, when he came back. He would come up here, and he and Sam would talk for hours."

"You said when he came back, would that be after he left the Army?"

"Yes love, you know about that then."

"Only that he's been in the Army, and went to the Falklands. I understand he got some Decoration."

Mavis said nothing for a while, as if making up her mind whether to say anything or not. Eventually she seemed to decide. "Well it should come from James himself, but as he is reluctant to talk about it, I'll tell you what little I know. He joined the Army in the late nineteen seventies. He got into the Parachute Regiment, and they were sent to the Falklands as part of the Task Force. James was at Goose Green, have you heard about that?"

"Only a little. Wasn't a Colonel or somebody killed there?"

"Yes, they called him Colonel H. James was there. I don't know what happened, but James got some medal, I'm not really sure what one though. As soon as they got back he resigned his commission and came home to Lyney. He was in a bad way, that's when he would come up here and talk with Sam. I think that James felt guilty about surviving, when so many good men died. It's taken him a good few years to get over it."

"Well I'm glad he survived." For the second time in a day, Abby spoke without thinking, but as so often when that happens the mind's truth is contained within the words. Mavis kept the look of pleasure from her face, and busied herself with topping up the teapot with hot water. Her pleasure did not come from congratulating herself; indeed, she would have difficulty in expressing her thoughts. Perhaps it was because it was ingrained in her country way of life, the continuity of life. Men did still go away to war, and did get hurt in more ways than just physical injuries. The majority would come home, and home could almost complete the healing process. A good woman by his side, who would care for, and nurture him, was the only thing that would finish the job. James had a few girlfriends, daughters of locals, but none had been more than passing acquaintances. James had shown none of them the interest that Abby created, and certainly none had the privilege of riding out with him for a day. Perhaps this was the woman who could complete the process for James.

Abby wanted to know a lot more, but it was obvious that Mavis either would not, or, could not tell her. Nonetheless it proved to her that an assessment she had made much earlier about James was true; there was a lot more to him than the flippant, glib face he showed the world.

The subject of these meanderings walked into the kitchen at that moment, with Sam close behind. Mavis looked up, and said wearily to Sam. "I suppose you will want a cup as well?"

"That would be nice dear." James winked at Abby, as an indication that the manoeuvre was successful. Mavis caught the wink, but believed that it was a sign of their growing closeness. She indicated the cup that she had poured earlier for James.

"Your tea is there but it's likely lukewarm by now, I can make you another cup if you like."

James shook his head. "It's wet and warm, Mavis, and that's all I need."

Sam sat next to Abby, and said. "I understand you have met Woody." Mavis was a little put out, as Abby hadn't mentioned this to her.

"Yes we did, James told me a little about him, a strange character."

"Oh aye," replied Sam, "I have never known anyone manage to keep their life story as secret as he has, and there's some around here who are better than the Gestapo at winkling out people's secrets." Abby could not help but giggle, as she was well aware to whom Sam was referring, James had a broad smile on his face, and Mavis looked at Sam as if she couldn't for the life of her recall anyone who would fit his description. Sam then said to her. "You want to know what a Hurdle is?"

"Yes I do. Woody mentioned them and James acted as if it was some dark secret."

James was affronted. "Hey, hold on, I said I would show you one when we got here."

Abby stuck her tongue out at him. "Whatever, he wasn't prepared to tell me what it is, will you?"

Sam laughed. "If you've finished your tea, you come with me, and I'll show you a Hurdle Wattle."

Abby finished her tea, and with Sam she left the cottage. He led the way across to the Barn. In the corner there was a stack of what appeared at first glance to be small five-bar gates. Sam pointed to them. "There you go," he said, "they are Hurdles." Abby looked closely and decided that they couldn't be five-bar gates, as the end and centre posts were too long, reaching down below the bottom rail by some eighteen inches to a point. The wood of which they were made hadn't been planed, just stripped of its bark.

"What are they used for?"

"When you want to make a temporary Fold for the sheep, you can just stick these in the ground to make an enclosure. They're light, easy to carry and fix. The sheep could knock them down as easy as anything, but they're too stupid to realise that."

"And Woody makes these?"

"Yes, it's an old country craft, when you thin out the woodland, keep the long straight stems, let them dry out, and use them for a Hurdle. Years ago they would use the stems when they was green to make a Wattle that was used in building."

"Of course, Wattle and Daub!"

"You've got it, it was slightly different, as it wasn't jointed, but woven, it all depends on the thickness of the wood you've got, but it's still a Hurdle Wattle."

James came up to them as they were leaving the Barn. "Now you know what a Hurdle is. It's easy when you see one, but hard to explain."

"Yes O.K. James, I forgive you."

James looked at his watch. "I don't think we are going to cover the rest of the track today. Shall we just ride down as far as the Station? We can do the rest another day." Mavis had reminded him that it probably wasn't the wisest thing for Abby to ride too much, as she hadn't ridden that much before. James hadn't really given that a thought, as he was enjoying the day so much. Mavis was encouraged by the look on his face when he realised his unthinking behaviour. Abby was relieved at this suggestion, she knew that she would suffer for this day, but to her it was worth it.

"That's a good idea, shall we go now?" James nodded and went off to get the horses. Roger had watered them and they had been resting in a stall.

Mavis came out to see them off, and Abby wished her goodbye with a kiss on the cheek, Sam waited also, not wanting to miss out, his face bright red with embarrassment, but not wishing to forgo the pleasure of a kiss from Abby.

To be continued