Abby Ch. 26

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The future father of her children came back with a small file of documents. "Sorry it took so long. I had to move a pile of stuff to find them." Abby smiled, she was becoming used to the idea that office work was not something that his father had attended to, and James seemed to be cut from the same cloth.

"That's ok, the kettle has almost boiled. I am not used to these Aga's but they do seem slow. George Walker suggested that I have an Aga put in the house. But judging by this experience I don't think I shall. Far too slow for me."

James had that familiar grin. "You will have to get used to the idea, Abby. Everything takes its time here in the country."

"Well this is one thing I have no intention of getting used to." Abby retorted. "When I want coffee, I want it now! Not next week. Now let's have a look at these Shares." James gave Abby the file, and attended to the coffee. Abby turned to a new page on the writing pad, and sat down to examine the investments. She started to write the details down. For half an hour there was silence as she wrote and thought, raised her eyebrows and shook her head as she understood some of the Shares. At last she sat back and took a drink of coffee, and looked at James.

"Well?" He asked.

She shook her head. "Not well." She answered him. "There's stuff here that is so ancient, I cannot be sure they are still quoted. However off the top of my head I would say you are missing out, by about ten grand a year."

"How much?"

"Well give or take a bit. It will depend on how much risk you are prepared to accept. With some risk I think you could better yourself more than that, but if you wanted security, a little less. I shall have to get the latest offer prices for these, to be honest I doubt that they will be exciting. But I will see what can be done."

James thought a little. "Anything you can do, I will be grateful."

"Wait until I get some figures, then see if you want to do anything." He nodded. Abby went on. "Do you have a Broker?"

"Dad had one, but that was years ago. I suspect that he has either retired or died."

"If you have no objections I shall get in touch with Peter Adams who does my broking. I shall explain what you want and he can make some suggestions. His advice is sound and worth following."

"I place myself in your hands, Abby."

A wicked smile came to Abby's face. "Not yet you haven't, James. But when you do, I can assure you it will be a lot more exciting than Share Certificates."

His smile was broad as he said. "Don't do that to me, Abby. I feel another cold shower coming on. We don't have permission to misbehave yet."

He got up and held out his hand. With a question on her face Abby stood and grasped his hand. "Come with me."

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see." He led her out into the Hallway and out the front door, then round to the stables. Cassie and Jason were in their boxes, inquisitive heads straining out of the half-doors, Jason whickered when he saw Abby. James led her on to the other buildings, and opened a door at the back of the stable yard. "This is the Estate office." He announced. The place was to say the least a jumble. Wooden filing cabinets lined one wall, and a roll-top desk filled another. Cardboard boxes were strewn everywhere, piled on top of each other at crazy angles. Abby viewed the scene.

"I don't think you use this much nowadays, do you?"

"No hardly at all. I was thinking that if you get this Farmers Co-operative off the ground you will need an office." He stopped and waved his hand around grandly to indicate an office. "There is a telephone somewhere. What do you think?"

Abby viewed the place with a somewhat jaundiced eye. "Well it's not the sort of office that I am used to, but I suppose that I shall have to have somewhere."

"I shall clear it out completely. There's nothing here that has any relevance these days. The filing cabinets are there if you want them, all I shall need is one drawer for my estate records."

"Could I get another telephone line put in?"

"I would think so, but why?"

"Well I imagine that the line is your private line, so I wouldn't want you to pay for my calls. Also I would want a Broadband Internet connection, and usually they have to put a new line in for that."

James understood. "Well you can do whatever you want." He said grandly.

"Wait a minute, James. If I use this as my office, won't the members of the Co-operative wonder if you are getting involved a little more than you should?"

He shook his head. "I don't think they would worry about that. Particularly if I am not charging rent for the office. I didn't want to be seen getting involved in the idea of the Co-operative. But now it is going to happen, they will see me going along with their idea." He emphasised the word 'their' Abby chuckled.

"You should have been a politician, James."

"No way." He shuddered. "I could never hold my head up again, being labelled as a liar and a cheat."

"James! At the very least you should charge the co-operative some rent for the office." He shook his head vigorously.

"No. Let's just say it my little contribution to the project. You should know my feelings by now, Abby. I am not here to make a pile of money. My job here is to try and keep this thing going, for my family's sake and for the sake of my tenants. I wouldn't like to be thought of as the guy who made money out of them at every opportunity."

They left the office, with James locking the door. Jason saw them and whickered once more. Abby walked over to him and the horse nodded his head and nosed Abby as she got close. Abby turned to James.

"It would be nice to go for a ride again."

"We shall, but we'll have to pick a good day. How about if the weather looks good for a day, I could phone you. Do you think you could drop everything and get out to ride?"

"No problem. I shall look forward to that." She turned to the horse and stroked his muzzle. "Don't worry Jason; we'll go out before too long." Suddenly she turned to James. "Richard! I promised to phone him."

James acted immediately. "Come on we will do it now." They rushed back to the Breakfast room, and in next to no time James had Richard on the phone.

"Hello James is Abby with you by any chance. I left a message for her at the Inn.'

"Yes Richard, she's here. I'll put her on." He put his hand over the mouthpiece and said that Richard was trying to contact her as it happened. Abby took the phone.

"Good Morning Richard. How are you?"

"I am fine thank you. I have some good news for you. Bernard has phoned. He likes the Flat and will pay your price." Abby looked at James with a big smile on her face.

"That is good news."

"He wants to do this quickly; can I give him the name of your Solicitor?"

"Yes, it is Chorister Brooks, I know they are in Paverton, but I am not sure of the actual address."

"Don't worry, I know them well. You can leave it to the Legal boys. It will all be done quickly. If Eddie Brooks drags his heels, let me know, I'll put a fizzer under him. Now when are you and James coming over for Lunch?"

Abby looked at James. "When are we going for Lunch?"

"When's convenient for Maggie?" Abby heard muffled sounds and then Maggie's voice somewhere in the background, replying to James's question,

"Maggie heard that and Maggie says anytime."

"Maggie says anytime."

James thought. "Thursday?" Abby passed the day on to Richard.

"That's perfect. Come about twelve, we'll have a drink first."

After she put the phone down, Abby then started to think about what she would wear. James laughed at her worrying.

"Don't worry about that, they will be very casual."

"Are you sure?

"Yes. Maggie will be in Jeans and sweater. I would bet on that. You don't have to dress up."

To be continued

12