After The Revolution

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Eventually, a man entered the throne room from a tall side door and loudly announced, "His Royal Majesty, Rutiago Severtana I, is making his appearance! Please show your respect!" The man then stepped aside, held the door open, and deeply bowed.

The first thing that came into view wasn't a man's leg. It was something dark and swirling, like smoke ... or mist ... or even fire, but not transparent. It was difficult to define. It floated. It danced. It was silent and unnerving.

Then the shadowy material glided away as a dark blue silk hose was revealed, comfortably wrapped around a long and thick leg that belonged to a tall man. There was a shiny black shoe with gold tipped laces and lightly pointed and curled toes with a bit more gold there. Taida looked up a bit.

There was a sleeveless garment, essentially a short blanket with a hole for the head, hanging over the man's wide shoulders and dangling, front and back, to the middle of his thighs. It was red, but it was such a dark red that Taida almost thought it was black. There was also a trim of golden fabric with little black birds embroidered in a repeating pattern. The tunic underneath the blanket-like garment matched the stockings, dark blue. However, at the sleeves' cuffs and at the neckline, there was a hint of lace, only a hint.

Those hands were unsettling. He looked as if he had dipped his fingers, from the tips to just past his fingernails, into black ink. Those hands were large, abrasive, and tanned, seeming to have never experienced the pleasure of cream nor pumice stones. There weren't even any jewels. He could have them. He probably did. There was likely a box full of rings and bracelets for him in this castle, but his fingers were bare.

Should she look at his face? Could she dare? Taida thought she should at least take a glance.

Long black hair ... it looked as if it actually ... blended in with the shadow-like material, and Taida realized that shadow was cloaking him almost protectively. Around the man's brow, there was a surprisingly simple band of gold instead of a jewel encrusted hoop crown that Taida had seen on the previous king. The man's face was defined and stern. The cheekbones were high, nose straight and attentive, eyes seemingly as black as the misty shadow that mixed into his hair, chin and jaw both strong and commanding.

Scars, a few long scars, one on a sharp cheek, another over an eye, and a third at the corner of his cruel mouth.

Well ... he didn't earn his position by being born into it, now did he?

Taida's delicate eyes returned to the king's feet as she curtsied and her father bowed. Those golden tips at the upturned points of the toes reminded her of fireflies as their reflective lights moved with the king's footsteps. The shoes made chunky noises against the stone floor, then muffled versions against the red rug, and then lighter taps onto the mosaic stairs, temporarily hidden by the mysterious cloak as the man turned. That cloak was jerked aside as the man turned again and sat down on the throne. Moving almost as a feather would, the cloak floated its way down and gently landed over the throne's right armrest, even covering the right front leg.

Black fingernails tapped and stroked the left armrest. A blunt and dusty voice called out from the lofty position. "Greetings! Greetings to both of you." He sounded older than Taida had assumed. "I've summoned you here, Mariu Donatal, because I'd been hoping to have the same relationship you had with the previous king."

There was a pause. King Rutiago might have expected Mairu Donatal to give a reply. The only thing Taida heard from her father was a faint hiss between his teeth. A second or so more, and the king spoke again. "I normally eat later than most, but I will not be an uncaring host. Are you hungry?"

She heard her father's hair shift as he probably shook his head. Then she heard him say, "We're completely fine, Your Majesty. You don't need to waste your ... generosity ... on us."

Just then, Taida's stomach grumbled, practically echoed. Her lips pursed, but otherwise she ignored the disturbance.

King Rutiago's voice became softer then, like a ball of smooth yarn instead of scratchy wool. "Ah, I assume that my constant requests have been wearing down on your mind. So, I won't ask you anymore." His legs shifted. "The hour is late, and the sky is dark. I suggest that you rest here until the morning, and you may leave then." His hand rose, palm upwards, fingers curved. "Please exit through the doors I face. Someone should lead you to your chamber."

A curtsy from Taida. A bow from her father. Then both people turned to walk down the red rug and leave the throne room.

But ...

She couldn't take more than two steps. Something was firmly wrapped around her right wrist, it felt like silk infused with oddly comfortable sand. Barely melted snow ran through her veins as her brain rang warning bells. Her eyes went to her wrist. She saw a section of an odd shadow there, wrapped as a rope could be. It was connected to a longer section. Her jaw lowered, she turned around and searched for the other end of the longer section.

His Majesty was standing. One of his arms was bent. The longer section of the material around Taida's wrist was attached to his fingers as if it grew out from the blackness there.

His eyes ... there was anger there. It was terrifying.

"I was addressing your father," he said. His fingers flexed, and the restraint at her wrist loosened only a fraction. "Now that you know I'm addressing you, I'll ask the important question, the very, very important question. Are you hungry?"

She heard her father bark out, "What?! What are you doing?!"

The king's nostrils broadened. His eyes darted towards Taida's father. "Shut up and go to bed. Your daughter has been asked a question."

Taida didn't want to lie to a king, especially not when he had the ability to restrain her whenever he wanted. Her free hand went up to her austere necklace as her head lowered. "I'm honored to have my king ask of my welfare. I am hungry, Your Majesty, although I have been kindly given some bread and wine once I arrived."

Very firmly, King Rutiago's head moved back and forth. Then he said, "No. That's not enough. You will go to one of the reception rooms, and you will eat there."

Another reception room instead of the dining hall? He didn't want her to be seen by the Royal Court? Well ... she was a haggard thing. It would be rather embarrassing to be seen with all of those elite people. It didn't matter that most of them earned their titles and land from the king's favor, replacing the ones the king killed. It didn't matter that many of them were likely not raised with the tastes of a typical aristocrat. Taida would still be an interesting subject for them to gossip about.

Her words were as delicate as a splitting hair. "I ... I am grateful to have your generosity."

She wasn't released. Even as His Majesty stepped down the set of stairs, even as he walked towards the side door, she wasn't released. In fact, she had to keep up with him, her feet hurrying, her arm outstretched.

King Rutiago's figure was all black from behind. She thought he looked like a spirit that collected the souls of the dead. Being forced to walk behind him was disconcerting. Shouldn't a creature like this want to follow her instead, hungrily awaiting her death?

Down a long hallway, passing several rooms. At one point, she heard a somewhat muffled voice from a very opulently carved set of doors. It sounded like the Land Captain. "His Majesty is unable to attend this dinner. He sends his humblest apologies. He has asked me to take his place." It wasn't the only voice. There was a gently rumbling group of voices there too. Taida assumed the room behind those doors was the dining hall, where the king would normally dine with his Royal Court.

He wasn't going to eat there?

King Rutiago's tasteful shoes halted at a door that had braided patterns carved into the wood. A nearby servant hurried to open that door and bow. Taida was pulled inside that room. It was similar to the room she had eaten bread in, but perhaps a bit more opulent. There was a small, circular dining table with flourishing, curved legs and feet. A bronze candelabra was in the center, lit and shimmering. It wasn't the only source of light. There were sconces and a chandelier, but Taida happened to let her eyes linger on the candelabra. It had a lovely, fluid shape to it.

Her wrist was freed. She watched the shadow silently withdraw to the king's black fingertips. It didn't even drag on the stone floor. It merely hovered. Turning his head, his profile strong, the king said, "Dinner should be here soon."

A second after he said that, a servant arrived and pulled out one of the chairs, nodding towards Taida. Gripping her previously bound wrist, Taida quietly went to that chair and sat down. The king pulled his chair out for himself.

More servants arrived with trays loaded with food and drinks. Taida's eyes widened and her heart skipped as she saw the first course laid out before her. The beverage was dark wine in an exquisitely made goblet. It was made of shiny copper with an elegant dragon swirling around the stem. As for the food, it was a sweet variety of soup in a shallow but pretty bowl. The ingredients she could see appeared to be pomegranate seeds, an herb that might be basil, and tiny dumplings.

She heard the king across from her scrape his spoon into his bowl. "You're meant to eat it, not gawk at it."

With a frightened, urgent hand, Taida raked her spoon into her grasp. She shoveled a great bit of the sweet dish into her mouth.

A closed sort of gasp, an intrigued and happy spark in her throat, Taida loved the moment. She hadn't had something this fine behind her teeth in years. She felt like she was eating the filling of a favorite fruit pie. Goodness, the dumplings even had small cubes of pears in them! The pomegranate seeds were just crunchy enough! The basil was minty and earthy. The broth was balanced and creamy!

She didn't even realize her eyes were closed.

The king's voice was so low that she barely heard it. Its quality was similar to a purr. "Eat slowly. Ponder every bite."

After she swallowed, Taida gave an obedient nod and opened her eyes.

He was staring at her. He wasn't even eating at that point. His black eyes were focused on her. His lower lip had an unevenness to it, as if he'd sucked part of it under his teeth.

Taida took a little sip of wine. It was smooth with the correct amount of spice, a palate cleansing delight.

Happy to ignore His Majesty's blatantly curious expression, Taida went on with enjoying her meal, keeping her eyes to her bowl and occasionally taking another sip of wine. There were only a few spoonfuls left when she was served the next course. Her goblet was refilled too.

Venison and wild boar, apple wedges and beet slices, all roasted to perfection and arranged on her plate in a layered, flower-like display! The meats alone were pricey and rare. Most people didn't or couldn't go hunting. Most people relied on farm animals if they were to eat meat. Taida's lips and jaw quivered as she took a fork.

"Is this pleasing to you?" The king sounded so ... eager ... yet also quiet.

She was still looking at her food. "Magnificent! Truly, only a king could provide such a fine meal!" She took a bite of the pork. The outside had a bit of char and the inside was perfectly juicy. She licked her lips after she swallowed. Then she went for the venison. Equally wonderful! The tip of her tongue poked at the spaces between her teeth in order to keep the bits of meat out. Then, she decided to take the fruits and vegetables into her mouth, crisp yet juicy.

Her tongue, her throat, her belly, all were overjoyed. Her head was a bit ... light ... maybe she was drinking too much wine. But ... that wasn't quite on her mind.

Soon, the third course was served. It was a small salad with hard boiled eggs sliced into little discs. It was so refreshing and distinct. Her belly was stretching; it hurt a little. She didn't care. She wanted the food. She needed the food. She wolfed the nutritional meal down. The crackling, grinding noises coming from her mouth didn't even bother her.

Finally, there was the dessert. Dessert was so uncommon, so very uncommon. Only the wealthiest could afford to have it often. Taida was silently humbled as she received this dessert. Blood flowed in her cheeks and nose, putting a shy blush in her flesh.

One flaky tart with preserved strawberries, another similar tart but with preserved oranges instead, a thin slice of cheesecake literally dusted with white sugar and topped with preserved gooseberries, a small pile of rice pudding drizzled with honey, and a little slice of custard pie.

All on one plate!

Taida didn't know where to begin. Her eyes bounced from one indulgent little thing to the next. Instead of one single dessert, she was given several! It was amazing, even unbelievable, but here the truth was, signaling her nose with the most encouraging aromas. A shard of her brain felt fear at daring to touch any of the beautiful things.

A chair's feet screeched against the stone floor. Heavy footsteps made a path towards her. Taida looked down at her nearly peeling hands in an obvious attempt at avoiding the gaze of the daunting king.

Cologne ... spicy citrus fruits with a hint of freshly cut grass.

He was behind her! His warmth was seeping past the chair's back and into her spine! Taida wondered if embarrassment and discomfort could kill a person.

His voice was smooth above her. "Miss Donatal, if you are still capable of eating, then do so."

A little hiccup burst from her. Her curled hand was very slow as it went to her mouth. In fact, her entire body seemed to be slow. When she started reaching for her fork, the utensil seemed so far away.

"Woman, you must eat!"

A hand! A hand at her throat! It didn't grip her. It gently rested against her flesh as if it wanted to shield her. Taida's fingernails gathered little bits of her skirt at her thighs.

His Majesty's hand slithered down, trails of sparkling sensation drawn by his black fingertips. Taida leaned back in her chair and tried not to tilt her head back. She shivered.

"It seems you have a problem with following directions."

Well, that wasn't true. She wanted to eat the desserts very badly, and she was planning to do it. The problem, Taida assumed, was that she ... wasn't being quick enough?

"I was told you fainted earlier. That's how hungry you were. You look as if you've been hungry for a long time." His hand ... was at her collarbone ... then on her gown, right over her small breast.

Her brain was lagging. Even her blinking was slow.

He was ... caressing her, sliding circles into her, luring hardness out of her nipple, even through her gown and chemise.

Wait ... wait ... but ... where ... were ... the ... servants?

His growling voice disturbed the nerves in her ear. "You're not full enough. You must be filled."

His other hand went to her chin and he moved her head back. His face didn't glow in the candlelight. He wasn't a pale noble. He was tanned.

Those black eyes were partially covered by hooded eyelids. His lips were parted. His teeth had her thinking of gently uneven freshwater pearls.

"You have pretty eyes," he told her with a voice so low that it sent a shiver down her body. "Your lips are shaped well, exactly suited to me. I'm anticipating an image of your body in a full and rosy mode."

His fingernails lightly scraped along her jawline. "Imagine how beautiful you'll be with a soft face and a breast that could overflow in my hand." A corner of his lip, the one with the third scar, it quirked up as if he wanted to laugh at something. "I know you're frightened and weak, and I know you don't have any reason to believe me, but right now I want you to stay here and eat."

The hand caressed her a few seconds more. Then it moved away. Taida soon saw the hand near her face, holding the strawberry tart close to her lips.

He might as well have been a hypnotist.

And as the delicious crust of the tart was put to her mouth, as her teeth sunk into warm fruit, she heard King Rutiago quietly hum to himself.

That ... song ... she knew ... something about it.

Her eyebrows lowered.

Using his bare hands, he fed her.

The plate was eventually bare.

That was when the king let her head return to a natural level. Her neck was sore. Her brain was numb. She thought she might topple into the table.

Speak! Damn it! Speak! She knew she needed to say something. This was all the complete opposite of what she'd imagined would happened to her. She was the daughter of a man who had no loyalty to him, a man who even hated him. The only reason he hadn't been killed yet was probably because he'd never been a threat.

His Majesty was still behind her. He reached down and around to lace his fingers and place his palms over her abdomen.

Spicy citrus and grass ... an invigorating scent!

The weight of his chin was on the top of her head.

"Think for a moment," he said very gently. "Do you remember the song?"

The song? Her drunken mind ached as she searched for anything about a song.

He started humming again, low and a bit scratchy.

Her eyes broadened.

And her words floated out in a whisper of a song.

"Do you feel that this world is cruel?

Or is this world so cruel because you are a fool?

Did this world always hate you so?

Or do you hate the world because your heart is low?"

She couldn't remember the rest, but that was fine, because the king finished for her.

"If you see only evil here

then don't call yourself a seer.

Good never disappears.

It only hides, My Dear.

So keep looking!"

It was as ethereal as a lost dream yet still solid, somehow.

Taida wanted to ask what in the world that song was about and why she could remember part of it. She didn't need to. The king spoke to her about it.

"Years ago, there was a famine. I had barely started manhood, but I suffered as so many did. One day, I was weak and sulking in the streets, when a beautiful woman and her pretty little daughter came to give me food. I didn't ask for it. They put it in my hands without any thought. They even gave me polite introductions, names and all."

A flashing image of a thin, haggard, blond young man was suddenly in Taida's brain. Her fingers gripped the edges of her seat.

"The little daughter hadn't finished becoming a woman, but there was altruism in her sparkly eyes. So, I thanked the kind donors, and I offered the daughter a present in return. It was a good luck charm my mother had given me. Then, after I had a bite of the food, I told the donors I was so happy that I wanted to sing. The daughter clapped her hands and agreed. I sang a lullaby from my childhood, and when I was done, the daughter patted my hand and told me that life is beautiful."

Her face was wet. Her eyes were itchy. She could taste her nose's mucus.

She had completely forgotten about the blond man. The fact that some of his song was still in her memory was nearly a miracle.

But now, she could almost see him clearly. Her brain was throwing together all the past information about him. Weak but grateful green eyes, oily blond hair, long fingers that handed a young Taida the good luck charm of a necklace.

And his tired but pleased voice singing the lullaby ...

Had that young man truly become the king? He seemed completely different, as if the magic he learned had been absorbed into his body.

King Rutiago nuzzled her hair. His breath was complacent and hot. "Once my new position became secure, I decided to find the family the donors came from. I was upset to learn the mother had died, but that didn't ruin my plans. No matter what sort of woman the daughter became, I knew I wanted to serve her the finest meal available, even if she hated me, even if she was so loyal to the previous king that she wanted to kill me. None of that would matter. She would eat nearly sinfully well at my expense."