Ajax And The Pit Of Doom Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before beginning their journey, they rubbed special oil on their hands, feet and neck to protect them from insect bites. The seer had provided them with some potions in case they got bit by snakes or other animals.

Thus began their journey to the caves of Gold.

An hour across the sand dunes the mist cleared and they could make out the forest. The sun was coming up so it was easy for them to find their way.

They moved across the forest until they could see the silhouette of a mountain range.

"I think the caves must be inside those mountains." Said Ajax to Merah.

"Yes, in fact they are inside those mountains. I will take you to the mouth of the cave and Dorian can lead the way from there onwards."

By nightfall, they were close to the mountain range so they decided to camp the night and get some rest. Though Ajax longed for Merah, he chose to abstain in order to preserve his energy for the next day.

The expedition slept soundly through the night. They started the uphill climb as soon as it was morning.

"I shall lead you to a pass through the mountains, it will take us quickly to the other side" said Merah.

"We should be there by lunch time."

Slowly they made their way up the slope of the first mountain. Eventually they came to a narrow gully.

"This is the pass. We shall walk in single file across this gully. Be careful and watch out for landslides." Said Merah.

Merah led the way along with Ajax and Ian. Gallardus and the rest followed them.

A little way along the gully, suddenly Ajax heard a shout from one of his ranks. Then he heard more shouts and he turned around to witness a scuffle taking place at the back. He realized that the commotion was on account of a boulder that was coming crashing down one side of the gully.

A couple of soldiers were crushed as the boulder crashed into the party.

More shouts were heard as more boulders came down the hillside towards them. They started to run in the opposite direction towards the other side of the pass. As Ajax led his men, they moved as fast as they could, carrying some of the injured soldiers and the supplies. There was a lot of commotion and panic.

Suddenly Ajax stopped in his tracks. The company followed suit. Blocking their way out of the gully were a bunch of savages armed with crudely fashioned axes, rams and clubs.

"Merah get to the back" said Ajax his first concern was to get Merah to safety.

When she didn't reply, he looked around frantically for her.

"Merah" he shouted once more. Then a movement caught his eye. It was Merah climbing nimbly up one side of the gully, on her way to freedom.

Ajax was happy that she was safe and out of harm's way. He turned his attention to the savages.

With a grunt he signaled his company to attack.

A fierce battle ensued. The savages tore into them, and there were many of them. Ian was scared but he didn't let it show. He quickly took down five of the savages with arrows and then proceeded to continue the battle with a sword.

Wave after wave of savages came at them. Ajax lost a lot of men in the ensuing battle.

He was getting tired, still he fought on until he was on his last reserves of strength. Suddenly an arrow hit the ground beside him.

He looked around wildly to see who it was that had fired the arrow.

Then he looked up to notice that Merah had another arrow strung into her bow, primed to fire.

It was aimed for him. He tried to evade but the arrow struck his shoulder. Ajax yelled in pain. With one hand he fought off a savage and then glowered up at Merah. She had another arrow pointed at him.

He took the savage he had just killed and used his body as a shield. The arrow struck the body. Ajax bellowed from under cover, angry at Merah's betrayal.

He threw the body aside to look into her eyes one last time. If this was to be the end, if he was to die that day at the hands of the one woman he had loved and trusted, so be it.

But when he looked up, she had gone. Then he was struck down by a blow to his head. He fell on his back, stunned with the force of the blow. He was still conscious. He looked up to see a savage bearing down on him, club raised high above his head to deliver the killing blow. Ajax closed his eyes.

--TO BE CONTINUED--