All Comments on 'Almost Persuaded'

by JakeRivers

Sort by:
  • 34 Comments
DG HearDG Hearover 16 years ago
Great read!

Well Jake, I think we did good, Now it's up to the readers to let us know their opinions. Enjoyed writing with you.

DG Hear

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
You wanted comments? Here's mine.

I liked this story. It was well written, just enough characterisation and plot for its length and had a realistic course and outcome.<br><br>

My only gripe: can you write a story that isn't set in the middle of Red Neck City? How about New York, or LA, or Detroit, or any one of a number of cities where the main aim in life isn't to be a Cowboy? After a while the "y'all" and similar manglings of the English language start to grate.<br><br>

A small gripe, but I had to get that one off my chest.

bruce22bruce22over 16 years ago
I enjoyed this one.

So? Well, look at my commentary to DG Hear's story.

You had me on pins and needles. Would she fall? After

she received the telegram I imagined she would seek out

Glenn for consolation. Then switched to Billy and left me hanging... Excellent work!

bruce22bruce22over 16 years ago
I enjoyed this one.

So? Well, look at my commentary to DG Hear's story.

You had me on pins and needles. Would she fall? After

she received the telegram I imagined she would seek out

Glenn for consolation. Then switched to Billy and left me hanging... Excellent work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Hey Anon

The story was great! But why on earth would us folks that live in mainstreet America want to hear about gang talk, slurred speech, and poor folk living on government housing in places like New Yark Citie, LA, Houston, and such? Lest keep the pace on the real America and not the transition zones. N iffn ya lake dat weuns kin talk yankee toooooooo youzzzzzzzzzze.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
I liked it

Jake I liked it alot. You done good. LOL

PEATBOGPEATBOGover 16 years ago
Great!!!

Thanks DJ for writing another one especially for all the incurable romantic 'old farts' amongst your readers. Yes, beautifully written! I refuse to decide who was better, JR or DG! Pete.

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 16 years ago
Another great story

It was a little bit of a cliff hanger by switching the narrator.. Very interesting account of Billies war experience.. And Billy's correct, everyone is tempted practically everyday in some way.. And I agree, I don't need the gang talk or the over sophisticated snoots of NY or LA.. Not exactly a reconciliation but a very happy ending.. A really good story!!

ReduxBlueReduxBlueabout 16 years ago
Great Story

I really liked your story and thought you really captured the era. Well, except for one thing. Why was the little woman out alone in a bar? It would have helped me a bit to have just a bit of backstory here, because that was not acceptable married woman behaviour back then. Unless the woman was messing around even more. Just alittle bit, like out with friends...

I'm not really familar with the song, so a couple more measures might have helped too. Thanks for sharing!

bornagainbornagainabout 16 years ago
A Real Winner

I`m from a military family so i sympathise with Billy because my dad went through WWII as apilot in the jap war in the US Navy in the Med but Billy was alot more understanding with his

than some other men that would be coming home from the war then finding out there wife nearly screwed up there marriage vows.

Pandoras DesirePandoras Desirealmost 16 years ago
Almost Persuaded

Fine story, but the song "Almost Persuaded" was originally done by David Houston. Tanya may have done it as a remake, also one of my favorite "classic" musicians, Charly McClain did a very fine version of the song. but good story nonetheless.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
PERFECT

I ENJOYED UR STORY. I LOVE STORIES WHERE THERE IS LESS HUNGER FOR SEX OR "BODY". I LOVE IT WHEN THERE IS TRUE & PURE LOVE AND NOT ANY "BODY" LOVE.

bruce22bruce22over 15 years ago
Lovely Story

Beautifully paced. If she had fallen, would Billy have kicked her to the curb? Personally I think he learned enough to forgive one fall from grace. If he had discovered that someone else had moved in while he was away that would be another story! Great Work as always!

TalonsreachTalonsreachover 12 years ago
Salute

It is great to see patriotism the last 20 years or so again. The (non)war of my youth was fought in the jungles of SE Asia and the troops came home to derision and hate. I remember soldiers getting off planes and being spat at. I remember one young woman screaming "baby killers" at the top of her voice for all the world to hear. I wonder what she thinks now. I wonder if she has had a son, daughter, or grandchild as part of our efforts in the mideast. If so, does she still scream at them?

To those that have served in our armed forces in ANY of our wars or (non)wars/police actions I give humble salute and thanks. To your loved ones I can only give tearful commiseration knowing the days and nights you waited with heart twisted or tears streaming for news that your loved one was coming back. For those that lost loved ones and found a way to keep going, you are also my heroes alongside the loved one you lost. May God bless each and every one of you!

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
Yep you gotta see the difference

Some people understand the concept of a promise and what it is and what it means - they make a small mistake and realize it is not the "size" of the action it is its mere presence that is the issue - "I didn't cheat a lot" is not a valid comment. Nor is "it did not mean anything to (me, us, our relationship. our future etc.)". The betrayal is as much in the thought and intent as in the action.

If you did not mean to why did you?

Good story about good people -

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 10 years ago
Wow

What an honest and heart wrenching tale. The guilt she felt was dispelled by her husband because it didn't exist. A true tale of patriotism. love and fidelity. What a shame these days there are too many of the Dear John and Dear Jane letters.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
:-)

Well done.

starmanfivestarmanfivealmost 10 years ago
Now that is writing!

I will read your stories again. Thank you.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 9 years ago
Enjoyed it

a touching story. Five stars.

MorganDeWolfeMorganDeWolfealmost 9 years ago
10 * story

Really a true "Loving Wives" story. Well written and well received.

I missed "Measure for Measure" in high school but have read it now, thanks for that too.

Morgan DeWolfe

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
No comment necessary

Wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
play in shit

and your probably gonna get it on you! NO it's NOT ok to have a girls/boys night out. go to a dance club without your spouse.........................

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Lived in Bartlesville for 30 years

Bartlesville is a corporate HQ, with lots of scientists, accountants, etc. Not too many

field oil types there. Hominy or Pawhuska would have been better settings...

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Pretty damned Good Story

And very well told. The combat scene reminds me some of the first time I got wounded in VietNam. Big difference though, there were no NVA around me, they were unable to penetrate our perimeter.

TreymonTreymonabout 5 years ago
Temptation is the test

True love is the strength to pass it.

Which she did as someone human.

When push came to shove her love took over.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Temptation story

Very well done.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 2 years ago

That was brilliant. It's going in mommy's favs

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Really good. Any guy who has been in the service with a wife or girlfriend left behind knows that one thing always present is a vague wonder whether or not she will cheat. So many guys get "Dear John" letters, it's so common a concern that a lot of the marching songs recruits learn feature "Jody," the smooth talking civilian who comes to the back door and seduces the soldier's woman. This is a fine story and yes indeed, temptation is one thing, but it's not a fall. 5*****

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very good story. Enjoyed.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I was active duty USAF EOD and a coworker got a dear john letter. We were staying at Kobar towers about 6 months before the bombing. We were on the 6th floor. He stayed on the balcony full time for about 2 months before he went home. We set up a schedule for someone to be with him full time just in case he decided to hop over the rail. I know it is tough to be a military wife but those dear john letters are so cruel. Fucking lie until he gets back home, you are endangering him if you send one of those letters. And for whatever the cost don't let him find out through friends, relatives or whatever. Use some compassion.

Just_GymJust_Gymover 1 year ago

That's one excellent story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very well done!

Compassionate. Real.

When I went through Naval FLIGHT School, 1971, a very wise chief took a bunch us aside; all of us single. He told us this. DON'T get into a serious relationship where your heart hangs in the breeze. Ya'll are going in Harmonie way and a Single moment of emotional distraction can you killed." That was it. I took it to heart and belief it saved my life. My Rohmaterial got a Dear John. Three days later I watched die when shouldn't have. That letter, specifically the bitch thst sent it, killed him.

Women, if you comit to one of my brothers please keep it. And, for today, men keep it for my Sisters. It goes both ways.

MountainMan1336MountainMan13369 months ago

5 Stars is what I give this story. I also have seen many Marines receive Dear John letters. It is my belief that guys like Glen in this story should face prison terms of 10 years for attempting to seduce the wives of Marines fighting far from home.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Bastards like should get their balls busted!! Pity this opportunity never arose

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous