All Comments on 'An Afternoon On The Basin'

by JimBob44

Sort by:
  • 31 Comments
LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 11 years ago
A dearth of heroes, a surplus of sleaze !

This was a hybrid of the dark places Elmore Leonard & James Lee Burke take their readers. Sterling exposition and white collar wise guy talk kept plot moving. This story needed 'a hero on his journey' ala Joseph Campbell for average reader to maintain rooting interest. I felt weary by story's end.

By third flashback of Ritchie's financial slight of hand, I was ready for him to be gator bait. The twist of his fate being trial & likely long term confinement was good for humanitarians, bad for taxpayers. JimBob44 threw a lot of admirable nuances in this story. The actual structure of said story is rife with redundancies and decay.

To me the story is coin flip between three and four stars. I'm pressing four and hoping the author wikis up Joseph Campbell and why his work is of some interest to aspiring storytellers .

diagonesdiagonesabout 11 years ago

Okay. A very sharp portrait of swamp trash creatures created from incesteous breeding. Tiny brains, casual cruelty, all that. But why was this garbage put in Loving Wives?

SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermitabout 11 years ago
Good

Liked the story. Oh, sure there are some errors and some rough spots but so what? It was a good read. I have a feeling our little Ritchie got what he deserved. Good revenge here. More.

C_frommnC_frommnabout 11 years ago
Great

Loved the Chain and motor over the side. it was the right touch to get his Attention and the Mention of Prison Showers was Excellent.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 11 years ago
Oh Yeah

In the end the asshole got what was coming to him. Great tale.

Danger09Danger09about 11 years ago
So glad to have you back !

I love all your stories ! I enjoyed this one . Keep writing. I've missed you in loving wives, so I'm ecstatic to have you have back.

OverstarOverstarabout 11 years ago
Nicely done

Pretty good revenge story, thanks for sharing.

fanfarefanfareabout 11 years ago
slapping skeeters

I am so totally pushmepullme by this story. Love the writing, love the ethnic stereotyping, love the familial community. But! I think it a shame that the chain was not securely fastened to the asshole's ankles. Kinda scratching my head over giving Ritchie up to the authorities. Laws ain't Justice!

If I understand JimBob's storyline, whatever portion of Ritchie's loot that has been recovered is to be restored to the rightful owners? That could'a been done discreetly without providing the judicial system opportunity to pillage it as it passes through their disreputable claws.

phil2213phil2213about 11 years ago
Slow brew to the demise of a sleazy prick

Story was good a little to wordy and skated too long. The emotion was not charged to full capacity but the description was beyond overwhelming. I like the ending but it took too long to get there but it was worth the wait. This story could definitely find a path to a great movie. I think a movie could be quite enjoyable to showcase this story. Thanks for the overwhelming effort!

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 10 years ago
Why?

The thought the chain might not be on the slime-ball's ankle was an early consideration. But, I'm trying to figure out WHY it was not! They didn't need (nor did they get) a confession! Only thing I can come up with is that the LA crew will get reports from 'the guys in the showers' and stretch out their giggles!

4*. (A bit longer than it shoulda been!)

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
WHEN YOU PISS SOME PEOPLE OFF

try not to leave bread crumbs. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
ok

Slightly confusing...not alot of character development....should have just given the gators a meal.

loveoverlustloveoverlustabout 9 years ago
BURN THE BASTARD ? SORT OF.

Nicely done.Thanks. The 5th star.

rightbankrightbankabout 9 years ago
One time too many

And it ended too soon. Since the ankle bracelets were not connected it would have been nice to see the reception committee back at the office.

tazz317tazz317over 7 years ago
SOONER OR LATER THE CON BACKFIRES

the wells will always run dry in a drought. TK U MLJ LV NV

maninconnmaninconnabout 7 years ago
Well done

I really enjoyed this story, thank you for writing!

icebreadicebreadabout 7 years ago
Bloody good

Thank you I did enjoy this.

rightbankrightbankalmost 7 years ago
So many memories of evil deeds

All triggered by a man we never really meet. Each step forward in time we are led to believe he is reaching the end of his rope (chain).

But, instead of a conclusion we drift into an amorphous series of questions.

Nothing standard or ordinary here.

StormKing33StormKing33over 6 years ago
5* Excellent Story

but I would have dropped Ritchie's carpetbagging ass into the swamp. That would be real justice.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Loved it

JimBob44 always comes through. Another great story, but they should have let Richie find the bottom.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Do you suppose

Bubba and his friends use lube? Richie, this is your asshole before Bubba - )*( , this is your asshole after Bubba - )O( . Me, I'd have just attached his ass to the chain and been done with it. But, hey, your story, your way, I'm happy either way. Signed: BTW

txcrackertxcrackeralmost 5 years ago
Not What | Though IT Would Be !

Really different 4*;s

Thanks for the read

Jhbrown27Jhbrown27over 4 years ago
Good story

Very interesting and well written and told.

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Good story caught and mentally punished now comes a lot more

Enjoyed

robroy93robroy93about 4 years ago
Having

Haven't read JimBob44 previously, but now I'm going to catch all his stories. Work takes me to Louisiana frequently, nd maybe reading these stories will help me learn the language.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Again

I love this story, but I would love a rewrite where Ritchie feeds the gators and turtles.

ApathyIncApathyIncover 2 years ago

I loved it! Took a turn from what I was expecting. Wished it had been a little more in depth with Nadia and how they caught him.

GerMagGerMagalmost 2 years ago

Liked it, a bit more about Nadia would have given the 5 stars.

blackknight314blackknight314almost 2 years ago

Good job, thanks for sharing your work!

Alright_alright_alrightAlright_alright_alrightabout 1 month ago

Should've had Richie come out on top, no way a seasoned hustler would get took like that. That's all he does is scope people, watching for angles. Hot piece of ass wouldn't get by him like that, he's not ego driven. Like when the chic tried kissing him in hotel he told her he wasn't here for that, he was just there to fuck, didn't care about her emotions.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJimBob44@JimBob44
All stories published on Literotica under the name JimBob44 are the sole property of the author. Permission is NOT granted to anyone to publish these works elsewhere.