All Comments on 'April Leads Julie Astray'

by RetroFan

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
EloquentmanEloquentmanover 6 years ago
Terrific story and characters

Really enjoyed this. Some might not like the deliberate build up, but I thought it was well done. More please of April and Julie

AlegnaRHAlegnaRHover 6 years ago
More!

More for April and Julie and for the obv. Gay men

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
More! More!

I definitely thought the story was a little over the top when dealing with Rev and Mrs Green and the neighbor boys, but I absolutely loved the story about the two girls. PLEASE write more about April and Julie and their blossoming love. Five Stars!

RetroFanRetroFanover 6 years agoAuthor
Thanks For Positive Feedback

Thanks for the positive comments about my story.

I normally write comedic stories, and while this did have some comedy elements in it, it was more dramatic in nature than my other works and dealt with serious issues such as polio, child abuse (physical and emotional) and the difficulties faced by families after the Second World War and I wasn't sure how readers would react to this. But I'm glad you liked it.

I'm not sure about a sequel, but I'm working on a couple of other stories at the moment that I hope to have published before Christmas and I hope you like them too.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Loved it!

Wonderful read. Thanks!

Are you thinking of continuing the story?

Captain MidnightCaptain Midnightover 6 years ago
i also would like to hear more about April and Julie

I also feel for Julie's family. Julie's brother, mother and especially father seem to have serious issues of their own which are tearing them up inside. The world is changing wildly around Julie and all her family, and they don't seem to know how it will affect them, so they retreat into their shells. I can't tell what will happen to Julie and April.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Interesting story...

This is an interesting story. As for Reverend Green, he's not completely a bad person; he's just a product of his time and upbringing, IMO and is well-meaning (if condescending and patronizing; this is somewhat similar to the reverend in Footloose in that he THINKS he's doing the right thing). But you know what they say about good intentions and Hell...

In a way, I feel for him (and for many families in his generation) and his family; they are NOT prepared for the changes that are coming up, but it's all here, just under the surface...

As for Rose (April and Brad's never-seen mother), I actually hate her the worst given her treatment of her kids. Even though she likely has PTSD due to her experiences in Britain during the Blitz and was never treated for it (which makes me pity her a little), her treatment of her kids is beyond the pale; even Reverend Green would be appalled at her treatment of her kids, IMO...

Like the Clayton family, though; wouldn't mind being their neighbors...

BTW, have you watched Mad Men? That perfectly captures the 1960s, IMO, and the changes that came with it...

Good story, BTW...

jsmangisjsmangisalmost 6 years ago
Excellent Story

I really enjoyed the long buildup and the details you included. I believe this is the first story I've read on this site that addressed menstruation, and you handled it in a very sensitive and understanding manner. I hope that you decide to continue writing about the romance between April and Julie. You might also delve into the romance between the two male cousins as well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
More

This well crafted story deserves a sequel!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

I'm always impressed with your works that I've read, and this one ranks as one of the best. The long buildup, which some may criticize, really helps to deepen the readers' emotional connection with the characters in a way that few Literotica stories do. This is one of the best stories I have ever read on this site, and I've actually become somewhat attached to Julie and April. If at all possible, I would urge you to write a sequel.

RetroFanRetroFanover 5 years agoAuthor
Thanks for more positive feedback

Thanks for recent positive feedback on the story. I enjoyed writing it, but wasn't sure how well people would react to the serious themes, but needn't have worried.

As for writing a sequel, I have thought about it but I'm not sure where I could take the characters from here so haven't attempted it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Very well written. I assume you’ve submitted some of your stuff for publication? You’re a better writer than quite a number of published authors. You say in t he thread that you’ve considered a sequel, but weren’t sure where to take it? Here’s an idea for you- April and Julie in the swinging 60’s, going to Haight- Ashbury, Monterrey and Woodstock. Them as hippies, and how their families deal with it (especially Julie’s)

RetroFanRetroFanover 3 years agoAuthor
Julie & April as Hippies

Hi - thanks for the recent positive feedback on my story, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I do like your idea of Julie and April being hippies in the late 1960s, it would be interesting. I can't promise I'd be able to write a sequel with this theme, but I'll think it through.

RetroFan

Richard1940Richard1940about 2 years ago

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Brilliant piece of writing and a very good representation of the early sixties. It didn’t change over the next decade much and in many families and I certainly remember such prejudices and thoughts which finally resulted in me leaving home at 17. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

great story but very wordy. could’ve easily been 6 or 7 pages. amazing job nonetheless

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous