As You Wish

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JaneSaysIt
JaneSaysIt
173 Followers

"Where to?" Steve asked, spinning the keys in his hand.

"How about Luke's place first?"

"Yeah, you'll definitely need a shower after that." Steve shared Cassie's distaste for Luke's place of residence.

A sour odour met them at the door and the hallway was dimly lit and seemed small, claustrophobic almost. Cassie and Steve picked their way around debris in the hall scattered on the stained carpet until they came to number 4. The door to Luke's room was ajar, light escaping out to the passage.

"What's going on?" Cassie looked at Steve, worried.

Steve went in ahead, cautiously, "Hello?"

"You interested in the room?" A beefy looking older man was dumping things, Luke's things, into garbage bags.

"This is Luke's room," Cassie stated, confused, as she stepped in the small room. She couldn't believe Luke lived like this. Not that the room was dirty, it wasn't, it was just sad.

He gave her a derisive look, "Not anymore it's not. Rent was due, it's not paid, he's out."

"I can pay it now." Steve moved to take out his wallet.

"Too late. I don't take late payments. He knew the rules."

"But he's in the hospital," Cassie argued.

"Half my tenants end up in the hospital for something or another. You're lucky you're early enough that I haven't put his things to the curb yet. Stupid textbooks."

"Look we'll take his stuff, please stop."

"Fine." The landlord moved towards the door, "But you need to be out in half an hour." As he turned, Cassie caught a glimpse of envelopes in his pocket, the familiar loop of her L on the top one.

"Wait! Steve, stop him."

Steve stood in the doorway. "Why?"

"He has Luke's money." Cassie tried to explain, "The envelopes in his pockets—they're Luke's."

"Those are my rent payments," the landlord moved to sidle around Steve.

"No, those are Luke's tip outs, the ones I gave him. They have my writing on them," Cassie insisted.

"Perhaps if you'd like to show us the envelopes, Sir," Steve's demeanour changed and he sounded more authoritative, more like a police officer.

"I don't have to show you shit."

"I'd say Officer Charles here would beg to differ," Cassie gestured to Steve. "Just hand over Luke's envelopes, please. He needs that money."

"You a cop?"

"Yes." Steve flipped out his badge.

"I don't want any trouble." The man passed over the envelopes and scurried out the door to the dingy hall. "Be out in an hour, no later."

"Do you think he has anything else of Luke's?"

"Not that we can prove. We should just salvage what we can. I can't believe that Luke was living in this dump."

"He said it was all he could afford. But he's going to stay with me now; he needs to recuperate and I have space. I owe him everything," Cassie hadn't been planning on this, but as soon as the words slipped from her lips she knew it was right and true. He needed her right now, just as she needed him.

"Cassie, that's very kind of you but..." Steve and Bryan were fully prepared to take Luke in.

"Look, you and Bryan live too far away from the diner and the university, plus you both work more than full time hours. I can be home with him more and I'm within walking distance to both places Luke needs to go. I don't have a roommate and I have a reasonable landlord. He's coming to my place when he's released."

"Okay, but Cassie, I just want you to be aware that Luke has lots of demons, not just from this time."

"He's also one of the nicest people I've ever met."

Steve unloaded the last few items from his car while Cassie showered. Her apartment wasn't large and it only had one bedroom, but it was infinitely better than Luke's former residence. It also wasn't a building the police got calls to very often, so Steve knew it was far safer. Luke had so few things that Steve could fit most of his belongings on an empty shelf in the living room. His textbooks and binder were the biggest pile, there was a picture of Steve and Bryan, and a small pile of clothes. Steve noted the sizes, realizing that Luke really couldn't afford to lose the clothes that were cut off him from the attack. He also put Luke's envelopes in a pile under the books, grateful that Cassie had noticed.

After a few minutes Cassie emerged from her room clean and wearing some sweatpants and a red t-shirt. Her light brown hair hung in loose damp locks and her skin was pink from scrubbing.

"Everything okay, Cassie?"

"Yeah, I just had a hard time getting clean, I guess," her voice hitched.

"That's a natural reaction," Steve pulled her in for a hug. "Did you want to pick out clothes for Luke?"

"Uh, could you? I mean I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable..."

"Sure, no problem, there's not much to choose from anyway. Can you think of a few things he might need?"

"Well, his jacket is terrible and probably ruined, but otherwise I'm not sure what he'd accept. He could use something though, maybe a sweater?"

"You know Luke pretty well, then," Steve says with a chuckle. He grabs a few pieces of clothes, then turns back to Cassie, "Ready to go?"

Cassie was clutching a few books and a blanket. "Yes, I just have to grab something to eat."

"No, Bryan and I will get you something. Don't worry."

Later in the day, Cassie was snug under her blanket in the chair next to Luke reading her book. He slept off and on while his body recovered from his injuries, but by all accounts he was healing well. Bryan and Steve had not only brought Cassie lunch, but they had provided her with snacks and drinks to tide her over all day, so she was content to say and watch over Luke, not that she would have left anyway. He was still on a fair amount of pain killers, so he slept more than he was awake, occasionally making noises or mumbling as he slept. The warmth of her blanket and the exhaustion of everything caused Cassie to nap, too. When Luke woke, he looked across and studied her as she slept. The rush of affection for her left him almost breathless. He was so relieved nothing bad had happened to her, her pert little nose, her silky cheeks, and expressive eyes. Luke wanted to reach across and just run his fingers over her soft curving lips, but he couldn't, he just couldn't, and it killed him.

"C..cassie?" Luke called in the night, her chair empty. She wouldn't have stayed all night, would she?

"Yes, Luke?" She was across the room, looking out the window.

"You can leave if you want. You don't have to stay," Luke said, but actually he was happy she was still there.

"I'm not leaving," she said, resolutely.

"Okay," his heart lurched and he was smiling, even if she couldn't see.

But she could and she did, even if he didn't know.

Two days later, Steve and Bryan drove Luke and Cassie to her apartment. Luke is bundled in the back seat under Cassie's blanket wearing a new winter jacket and some sweats that Bryan picked up for him. Luke balked at the new clothes, but realized he couldn't put on his jeans with his injuries.

"Where are we going?" Luke was confused.

"You kind of got evicted," Cassie admitted.

"What?"

"Your rent was late. When we went to get you clothes, your landlord was preparing to toss everything," Cassie explained. Luke's face froze in shock—all his stuff.

"Don't worry, I think we got everything. Cassie even stopped him from stealing your tip outs," Steve cut in quickly.

"Where are we going?" Luke persisted. He didn't want to take charity from Steve and Bryan, it wouldn't be fair to them.

"You're staying with me," Cassie stated simply. "It's close to the school and work, I don't have a roommate, and you can help with my rent once you're able." She made sure to tell him in such a way that he couldn't refuse. She knew there was a bigger fight on the way.

"I can't take your bed!" Luke raised his voice but was instantly sorry he did so, it really hurt his head. He tried not to wince.

"That's a perfect example of why you have to. You need to recuperate and not be bothered. When I'm up and doing things I don't want to disturb you. In a few weeks when you are more healed we can discuss this again, but for now you have the bed and I have the sofa bed," Cassie said softly, but in a tone that said there was no argument.

"I think you'd better listen, Luke," Bryan said with a smile.

Luke nodded numbly and walked into the first bedroom of his own in years. In foster care and group homes he always had to share. Even though this wasn't really his room, he appreciated what Cassie was giving up for him.

"Thank you," there was a crack to his voice, that was unmistakable.

"Maybe you should rest now," Cassie suggested, pulling back the covers. Without argument Luke climbed in and closed his eyes. "I'll bring you some water and your pills in a little while."

"Luke, we can see you're in good hands, we're going to get going. Steve has a shift in an hour or so, and I'll call later to check on you," Bryan said softly.

"Thank you, thank you so much," Luke's eyes were watering, so he closed them. The overwhelming emotions he was feeling were just too much.

Cassie fidgeted while Luke slept. She liked having him here, but she needed to figure out how to have him close without stepping over boundaries. She brought in his pills and water, and surveyed his sleeping form, how she could have ever thought he was anything but beautiful was completely beyond her. She wanted to reach out and touch him in so many ways. The thought occurred to her that watching him sleep was probably stepping over a boundary, so she left the room. Luke had woken when she entered the room but kept his eyes closed. He was a light sleeper out of necessity, and he couldn't figure out what she was doing after she placed things on the bedside table. All he knew was he missed her presence when she left.

"Luke, I have to work tonight," Cassie told him the next day; she didn't want to leave him but she had no choice. He was out of bed and walking around a little. "How's your head?"

The bruising around his eyes was fading from bright purple to a greenish yellow and his stitches, although still garish looking against his pale skin, were working and the cuts seemed to be healing.

"It's okay. A little sore still." Luke thought for a moment, "Are you okay to go to work? I mean, are you sure?"

"I—I'll be fine. I have to work, Luke." He started to argue, but she stopped him, "As soon as you're able, are you going back to work?"

"Yes. I need to."

"Well, so do I."

"Maybe I should come with you?"

"You know you can't do that, Luke. You need to rest. Especially if you want to be back at classes next week."

"I'd like to try and get out for at least a bit today."

"Well, we need groceries. Shall we go shopping?"

"Sure."

Their trip to the store was difficult. People stared at Luke, his injuries very obvious. Cassie could see how tired it made Luke, how much it hurt him, the effort of walking the aisles. All she wanted to do was take care of him, so she had him sit on a bench for a bit while she got some needed items. Luke insisted on paying for the groceries from one of his envelopes, it was only fair, Cassie had done so much already.

When they got back, Cassie made him lie down while she put away the groceries and fix them a snack. From bed, with the door open, Luke could see Cassie bend down to put things in the cupboards. She really was beautiful and being this close to her all the time was driving him crazy. He longed to touch her, even though he knew he couldn't. Watching her made things stir that shouldn't. He tried so hard to stay in control, but he couldn't. Luke could feel his arousal, so he looked away from Cassie and desperately wished he had shut the door because he couldn't roll on his side. If Cassie looked over now, his situation would be fairly obvious. He pulled the covers up and puffed them around a bit. Under the covers he would be much less obvious.

Cassie knew that maybe she was being a little inappropriate. She was fairly sure Luke was watching, and if he wasn't then it didn't matter. She was bending in a bit of a suggestive manner. When she stood, she could see he was shifting in the bed some instead of napping. She hoped he liked what he saw. Cassie wanted to be with Luke and had for a while now, but wanted to be subtle in her attentions. She certainly didn't want to force herself on someone who didn't want her, but it had been so long since she'd had anyone.

Before she left for work, she checked in on Luke. Cassie was wearing her typical work outfit, worn jeans and a blouse, but this time she left her buttons undone a little lower than normal. She would do her shirt up fully in the car, but she wanted to see if Luke would notice at all. Leaning over to check his pills, she knew he could see in her shirt a little if he would just turn his head to look at her. "Luke?" she said softly.

"Yes Cassie?" He turned and looked. He wished he hadn't. He could see the edge of lace and the curves of her cleavage, and she was so, so close. A few inches was all that separated them. Forcing his eyes to her face, he kept his face as neutral as possible.

"Are you going to be okay? I should be back by 1:30 or so," she almost whispered. She knew he had looked at her breasts and she wished she had the courage to kiss him, just lean a little closer and touch her lips to his.

Luke considered the question. He didn't really want her to go at all. "Just call when you're leaving, okay?"

"I don't want to disturb you."

"I'll be more disturbed if I worry about you," for Luke this was a huge thing to say, to admit he cared.

She nibbled nervously at her bottom lip, "Okay, Luke," she said. Cassie stood and walked out, the click of the lock on the front door following her.

Luke groaned gently as he relieved his arousal, even though he knew he shouldn't. Luke needed the release. It had been over a year and a half since he'd last had sex. He could only imagine how good it would feel to touch Cassie the way he wanted to, but he didn't want just sex. He wanted everything with her. He wanted her more than he'd ever wanted a woman before. The energy he expelled exhausted him, plus hurt his bruises, but it had been worth it. Luke removed his sticky shirt and wiped his hands and face with it before tossing it in the laundry bin.

Luke took his pills then fell into a deep restful sleep for hours.

At work, Cassie was falling back into a familiar rhythm. Every time the door opened, she startled a little, but she was pretty sure the pricks that attacked her wouldn't come back so soon, so she took a deep breath and kept going.

"So what happened?" Pippa wheedled. Cassie was annoyed that Pippa couldn't understand that she didn't want to discuss it.

"I was attacked, Luke stepped in and got badly beaten," Cassie summarized for her again.

"But..."

"Look, they were drunk and stupid, okay?"

"No need to get snippy. It's too bad Luke got hurt. I guess he's all looks and no substance, eh?" Pippa stated flippantly.

"Luke took on three guys who were trying to rape me against the hood of my car. They could have killed him, they had a knife, but he protected me." Cassie's anger welled in her, threatening to overflow.

Instead of shock, Pippa grinned. "You like him, don't you? You love low-rent Luke."

Cassie was furious. How dare she? "Yes, I do. And don't call him that. His life has been harder than you could ever imagine, but that doesn't mean he's a piece of trash."

"Ohhh, you really love him. It must be hard, then, since he's not at work. You won't be seeing him for a while."

"Umm, no. I'm seeing him." "I mean I'm not seeing him, like we're not seeing each other, but I see him." Cassie fumbled over her words.

"You are, are you?"

"Yes. He kind of got evicted when he was in the hospital and he needs rest so..." Cassie's voice trailed off as she realized what she was admitting to the most indiscrete person she knows.

"He's living with you?" Pippa squealed.

"It's just temporary. He doesn't have anywhere to go, doesn't have money for first and last month's rent, and he can't stand for longer than half an hour, let alone work."

"Are you getting any?"

"Pippa, he can't even stand let alone anything else. Besides, he doesn't like me like that."

"I think he does."

"He's never said anything."

"Cassie, he never says anything. I've seen him talk to you more than anyone. He makes you special meals, he watches you when you work, and he almost got himself killed for you. He's totally into you."

"You think?"

Pippa rolled her eyes at Cassie's ignorance. "I don't think, I know. What does he need to do? Actually get killed?"

"What should I do?"

"I don't know, I don't float his boat, you do. Just be you."

He grabbed the phone as soon as it rang, and he was happy to hear her tentative, "Luke?"

"Yeah."

"I'm leaving now."

Fear ran through him, although he can't remember the attack, Bryan filled him in enough that he was worried, "Stay on the phone with me until you're in the car. You don't need to talk, I just want to make sure you're safe."

Cassie was actually happy to make this concession. She was scared of the dark lot, too. The owners promised they would put in another light but hadn't done it yet. "Okay."

He could hear the door of the diner and the change in the background noise as she stepped outside. Her breathing changed as she raced to her car. Luke could almost feel her tension through the phone. Cassie fumbled for a second with her keys, then got into the car and locked the door.

"Luke?"

"Yeah?"

"I'll see you when I get home, okay?"

He liked the way that sounded. "Okay, Cassie."

Luke was waiting up when she came in, and it was nice.

"Was everything okay?" She notes the anxiety in his tone.

"Yes. Pippa says hi and the fill-in chef isn't as good as you."

"I'm glad you're back," and Luke smiles at her.

Cassie's heart beats just a bit faster, "I'm glad, too."

Cassie laid shivering on the sofa bed, knowing Luke was laying just twenty feet away. She wanted to go to him so badly, she wanted to hold him, snuggle to him, touch him, but she knew that he needed to be the one to approach her. He'd been through too much to force him into anything. She wanted him to decide.

"Cassie?"

"Yes Luke?"

"Good night."

"Good night."

Every day Luke was feeling better, stronger, more back to his old self. He took it upon himself to cook for Cassie, making meals for both of them when she wasn't working. They sat across from each other at her table or next to each other on the couch, but never touching. He wanted to, but he was scared. He already knew he loved Cassie. He was sure he did, but he wasn't sure how she felt and he didn't want to mess it up.

School was starting back up again the next day. Luke refused to reduce his course load but he was concerned about how tired out he would be and the reactions of everyone in his classes. His bruises were fading, but were still quite obvious and his stitches were still in place. He wasn't due to get them out for another few days.

"Where's your schedule?"

"I don't have it."

"Why not?"

"It's on my email."

"So? Use the computer, it's right there. Print it out so I can put it up. This stuff is important."

Luke had actually been wanting to check his schedule for a few days, but he didn't want to presume to use her computer. Since she mentioned it, though, he went over, logged in and got his schedule. Following her directions, he printed it and passed it over.

"Good. We have early classes on the same days. That's great!"

"Why?"

"So I can drive you. You're still not ready to walk all that way and do classes all day."

"Cassie, you can't afford parking fees."

"Steve and Bryan bought us a month's worth of parking."

"They shouldn't have done that."

"They care about you. It's what people do who care about each other, take care of them," Cassie said with a shrug.

JaneSaysIt
JaneSaysIt
173 Followers