All Comments on 'Ashley's Tale - Demon's World 05'

by Magicwrtr

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
cliuincliuinover 9 years ago
Ouch

The reverse Lord of the Rings .

GindjurraGindjurraabout 9 years ago
Nuclear missiles

It's obvious the author is like the character -- very little knowledge of how nuclear weapons work.

The problems, in no particular order:

Unless the Elven city is in exactly the same spot on their world as the Earth city the missile was launched at, the missile would not have detonated. The guidance system would have failed to recognize its location as the target and would not have armed the detonator.

Nuclear weapons do not go off on impact, they are detonated by a combination of navigational sensors and altimeters. Before launch they are given a set of coordinates and an altitude, and simply will not explode unless both match. Crashing one into the ground will result in a spray of radioactive fragments but no explosion other than the remaining fuel exploding.

Nuclear weapons are delicate, like a camera or computer are delicate. Where a normal bomb can be set off by handling it too roughly, you can defuse a nuke with a sledge hammer.

The skimming missile idea you had would make it easier to shoot down than a conventional ICBM, not harder. An ICBM is armored almost like a tank, with uranium armor plating -- the only difference between the outer shell of a nuke and depleted uranium is the depletion part. Enriched uranium is just as strong as depleted uranium, but it acts as fuel for the nuclear reaction.

The biggest single error in your description of nukes though is using gravity to destroy one. By crushing them with gravity, Ashley would have set off every single one of them at full power. The conventional explosives do have to be precisely oriented and timed to crush the plutonium into a critical mass, but a gravity well doesn't have that limitation. What triggers a nuclear blast is crushing the softball sized sphere of plutonium into a golf ball sized sphere. That's all it takes. It's really hard to do with conventional explosives, but with Witch gravity powers? It's easy enough to do it by accident.

Ashley would have killed herself with the first nuke.

observer7observer7about 9 years ago
Gindjurra, observations

Fact one: highly critical and pointlessly negative, know-it-all comments meant to smear the author's knowledge base

Fact two: newly created account, 3-3-15

Fact three: sole "favorited" author is Magicwrtr

Fact four: going in alphabetical order with an author of 91 submissions

Conclusion: Gindjurra is an alt account for someone without gut to risk this with their better-known name, has Little Dick syndrome with a personal ax to grind. To be ignored.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous