At His Majesty's Pleasure Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lady_temily
lady_temily
1,161 Followers

"He was much older than me, but he was always very kind," she recollected. Her curiosity was getting the better of her. Nonetheless, she hesitated before she made good on the question. "What - happened to him?"

At once, she felt she had made a misstep of some kind. The King was silent for too long; though his expression did not quite change, his smile took on a more forced, unsettling quality. He turned from the lake to her, appraising her. When he finally spoke, his tone was flat. "Are you asking if I took his life?"

Oh, he was upset now, was he? That had always been a risk of treading into such matters, hence her initial hesitation. She forced herself to ignore the apprehension simmering anew in her chest. Implications aside, what else was inherently wrong with that question? The elder brother had to have been the heir apparent at one point; therefore, so something must have happened.

"I only meant," she began to clarify.

But her umbrella slipped from her hands a little, and by some stroke of (ill) fortune there was just enough of a breeze to send it slightly adrift. She reached hurriedly for it with an even tighter grasp, perhaps moving only too swiftly and jarringly (most likely on purpose, for the convenient distraction it seemed to provide at the time). The jerky momentum had her reaching dramatically over one side, until balance could no longer be preserved and she fell right over the edge, somehow on her back, with a very loud splash.

And before she knew it, the water was rapidly rising above her head - and rising, and rising. The density of her dress and garments had her sinking at once, and she already knew that they were bound far too tightly to be able to loosen quickly enough with her fingers.

Strangely, the thought that occurred to her was how pretty it was, the way the light filtered, fractured, and broke in the expanse of aquamarine.

*****

Authors: I know, I know, another cliffhanger! But as mentioned, Chapter 9 should be out soon too, so you won't have to wait too long to find out what happens!

lady_temily
lady_temily
1,161 Followers