Award

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

For the rest of the week I languished in the house, I got calls from my football buddies, telling me what was going on and to hang in there. There were a few texts from Katie about how upset she was and how she would take care of me. I heard nothing from Coach Chambers or the coaching staff. My main source of comfort was Carol Smith. She visited every day and I kept finding out more information about her sister.

Saturday evening, my family was surprised by a visit from my former coach, Coach Porter. He looked serious as he sat down. He asked my parents when my surgery was scheduled. They told him they were in the process of taking out a second mortgage to pay for the surgery. He asked them if Coach Chambers had been in contact with them. They told him we hadn't received any word from him.

This angered Coach Porter and he explained why he had felt it necessary to come down for a visit. He revealed the school took out insurance on all athletes, just in case of injuries like I suffered.

It was the responsibility of the head coach to submit the claim. Coach Porter had gotten word that something fishy was going on with my situation.

When he checked into it, he found out Coach Chambers had not submitted a claim. He pulled out a sheaf of documents which were the school's and state's protocols on insurance claims. A photocopy of my insurance policy which was still in effect, and the information for a surgeon that specialized in sport related injuries that Coach Porter recommended.

My mother burst in tears when she heard what Coach Chambers had tried to do. Coach Porter had to convince my dad not to go and beat the hell out of him. We stayed up into the night plotting a course of action in confronting Coach Chambers. Mom went and hugged and kissed Coach Porter and my dad didn't seem to mind as he hugged him, as well.

He asked for a private moment with me. When they left the room, he handed me a CD disk. He told me that he didn't dare play it in front of my parents for fear of what they would do. He trusted me to think and use my discretion on how to handle it. With that, he made his farewells and took off for the long drive back to the University.

After my parents went to bed, I pulled out my laptop and plugged in the CD. It was a portion of Monday's practice film. Coach Chambers was in the habit of filming each practice and scrimmage so he could find any mistakes that needed correcting. It was like an out of body experience as I watched the play that I got hurt on unfolded and the body slam rolled into my knee, and I gasped.

The player that injured me was none other than my backup, Ricky Wilson. Ricky Wilson, who was not even in on that play, saw an opportunity for a cheapshot and took advantage of the situation. I started crying as I thought how my own teammate had betrayed me. But it wasn't just him, Coach Chambers would have seen that and instead of disciplining him, Ricky was now the starting quarterback for the Mooreville Eagles. After all I had done for the team for the past two years; Coach Chambers had discarded me as he would rubbish.

Coach Chambers was surprised when before Monday's practice, my mom, dad, and I walked; ok I hobbled on crutches, into his office. Before, he had a chance to say anything; my dad asked what was the status of filing the insurance claim. Coach Chambers played dumb and pretended he didn't know what dad was talking about. My dad looked at him again and repeated his question, Coach Chambers didn't say anything.

Dad said, "Three things are going to happen if you don't pick up that phone and start the process before we leave this office. One, we will go to our attorney and tell him to file a lawsuit. Two, we will call for a press conference. Three, I will come back here and kick your ass." The quiet resolve in dad's voice left no doubt he would carry out all three promises.

Coach Chambers flushed red, but, he knew better than not to obey my dad. Coach Chambers called the agent and dad insisted he put it on speaker phone. The agent asked for the information regarding the claim. Dad asked him to send a copy of all information the agent received, including any correspondence by Coach Chambers or the coaching staff. The agent assured dad that it would not be a problem.

When we left, I knew we had crossed a line that Coach Chambers would never forgive me or my family. That afternoon, I heard a small radio interview Coach Chambers gave stating that Ricky Wilson was twice the quarterback I was and what a divisive and petty person I was before I got hurt. The insults didn't bother me from him; it was when callers called in and agreed with him that irked me. I started getting accused of doing things that never happened. I thought about calling and setting the record straight, but, I decided not to do that.

Thursday, the agent called and said the claim was approved and we could schedule an appointment with the surgeon. Due to mother being a RN, we were able to sneak in an appointment, Friday afternoon. After a review of the records and a thorough examination, the surgeon scheduled the operation for the following Tuesday. I knew the early date was Coach Porter calling in a favor.

The only bad collateral matter was that everybody from the team stopped calling or coming by. I could only assume that Coach Chambers had banned them from contacting me. I got confirmation from the team manager who called and told me I would not be allowed to be on the sidelines during games, or access to the fieldhouse. I would not be allowed on team trips. I would not be allowed to wear a game jersey. I would not be able to associate with any of the players. I would not be allowed to attend afternoon's PE classes. Billy sounded really sad that he was the bearer of bad news. I told him I knew it wasn't coming from him and wished him luck during the season.

I should explain about the afternoon PE classes. Coach Chambers had created a system where the athletes took all their core classes; English, History, Math, and Science in the mornings. The athletes' optional courses were all PE courses, which were taught by the coaching staff in the afternoon. So those designated courses were closed to all other students and used as extended football practice. Another rule bent by Coach Chambers.

I would have to go to the registrar and select new optional courses before school started. I felt adrift after having school structured for me all in my past and now finally, I would be responsible for a portion of my education. After looking at the available courses, I decided to take guitar, art appreciation, and computers.

While I had practiced the guitar for several years and was proficient in it, art appreciation and computers were out of the blue selections.

It would be a brave new world for me. Tuesday, the operation was performed with flying colors. The surgeon told us we would barely be able to see the scar when it healed.

He cautioned me to only do the permissible physical therapy, if I tried to overdo it I would wind up injuring my knee again. I promised to listen and obey the physical therapists. I received no notes, get well cards, or calls from my teammates after my operation. I didn't hear from Katie either.

I had two weeks to recuperate before school started. I began physical therapy at the hospital and once again my mother's influence came to fruition.

Rather than the barebone physical therapy allowed by the insurance, my mom saw to it I got the best of physical therapy off the books by calling in some favors. She also saw to it I was included on her health plan which allowed me access to the state of the art hospital's gym, since I was banned from the fieldhouse.

I was told my rate of improvement was impressive and I would only have to be on crutches for one month. I wasn't looking forward to navigating on crutches in a busy school hallway. But, it is what it is.

Several things happened on the first day at school. I fell and busted my ass and I found out Katie had a new boyfriend.

I was slowly making my way to my class when somebody behind me gave a hard push; rather than try to regain my balance, I chose to protect my knee and hit on my side. It still jolted the knee, but, I couldn't tell if any damage was done.

I heard people laughing as I was on the floor trying to recover. I looked up and there was the cocksucker, Ricky, guffawing at his little prank. He had his arm around a laughing Katie. I realized I had already been replaced by one of the country club set. Ricky's and Katie's clique of hyenas and jackals joined in the mirth.

It hurt me as I watched people I grew up with, passing by, not wanting to get involved as I laid prone on the hallway floor. I knew they didn't want to get involved, but, I thought at least one person would stop to help.

Since I couldn't get assistance I remained on the floor since I didn't trust Ricky by getting in a defenseless position. I grabbed the crutches and resolved that if Ricky wandered into range, I would take him out.

Suddenly, one of the crutches was snatched from me and I looked up and saw Vicky Smith brandishing the crutch, daring Ricky to try something.

"Come on shithead! I've been looking for an excuse to kick your sorry motherfucking ass!" It amazed me that someone who looked like an angel could talk like that. With Vicky protecting me, I got up and took the crutch away from her and got situated. I told her, "Come on Vicky, he won't attack anyone unless their back is turned."

She accompanied me down the hallway and asked me where I was headed, I told her and she escorted me to the classroom. I thanked her, but, she wouldn't look me in the eyes, she mumbled goodbye and walked down the hallway. I was enthralled by the sway of her hips as she disappeared from my sight.

The next morning, I was called out of my English class and told to report to the principal's office. When I reported, I saw Vicky and she was upset. Ricky Wilson, his parents, and Coach Chambers were also in attendance. The principal told me he had a report that Vicky and I had threatened some students with my crutch. The complaint was corroborated by a number of students that allegedly witnessed the incident. I wanted to slap the smarmy smile right off Ricky's face. His parents were insisting that me and Vicky be suspended from school.

I did the unexpected, I told the principal to call the police so they could review the security footage from yesterday. If they saw a crime being committed on it then they could arrest the guilty party.

Ricky paled at my suggestion. After a hasty consultation, Vicky and I were told it was decided that it wasn't necessary to involve the police, but, for us not to cause any more problems. I looked at our accusers and warned them not to involve Vicky in my situation.

Vicky and I left, she wanted to find out what was going on. I told her, we didn't have the time, so we made plans to have lunch together. At lunch, I clued Vicky in on what was going on.

I told her everything, for some reason it was important that I didn't hold back anything from her. I sat transfixed wondering how she could make eating a tuna fish sandwich look so good. I told her it probably wouldn't be good for her to hang around me. She looked at me and said she would decide who to hang around with and nobody would stop her.

I was transfixed by the resolve in her beautiful eyes; all I wanted to do was look into them all day long. I must have stared too long, because apparently she had asked me a question, which startled me back into reality. I fumbled around and asked her to repeat what she said.

She asked me if I was doing anything later this Friday evening. I knew after the reception I had received at school I would not be welcomed at the football game. Suddenly, I felt that I had been cast adrift alone against the world. My entire validation as a human being had been taken from me and I didn't know how to get it back.

Vicky sensed something was wrong and lightly patted my forearm in a comradely fashion. She asked me to come over to her house and we would hang out. Somehow, I stammered out that I would. That earned me a wonderful smile and she said she was looking forward to it.

That evening I went over to the Smiths' where I was warmly greeted. Jimmy was wearing his new Harrisburg Lions T shirt. I just smiled at him and told him that next time I would beat him up. That earned a big grin from him as I maneuvered to sit down at their table.

The table was set up with a Monopoly board ready for play. I found out that I had been preselected the thimble icon to my protest and general derision of the Smiths.

Vicky had a radio onto the Harrisburg game, so for the first time since the third grade I was not going to hear, watch, or play in a Mooreville's game.

It was kind of a culture shock for me hearing up close cheers and applause for one of my former rivals. It was a pang to the heart to watch Vicky jump up and down every time Will Akers did something. And it seemed he did something every time they had the ball.

Harrisburg had no problem with their opponent and to fill the airspace, the Harrisburg radio announcers spent the entire game praising Will Akers and how he was the odds on favorite to be All State. When that got boring, they would start speculating on what records he would set in college. Vicky ate up all the accolades for Will Akers and I had to just sit there taking it in.

Lucky (or maybe unluckily) I busted out of the game in a couple of hours. One of the other things I discovered about the Smith family was that Carol had the heart and soul of a robber baron as she gleefully collected all my remaining money and deeds after I landed on her Boardwalk property complete with hotel.

I was told that I could have a rematch next Friday. Carol laughed when I said that I didn't think my ego would recover by then.

While, everyone was laughing, Vicky got a call on her cellphone. From her expression, it was obvious it was Will and she left the table for privacy. I decided it was time for me to go, so I said goodnight and I hobbled home and went to my bedroom and turned on my radio.

As I expected, Mooreville didn't have any trouble in their game either as I listened to the post game broadcast. Ricky Wilson was being touted as the leading player of the team and fawning callers was bragging about his accomplishments and making derogatory comments about me. I guess I should have expected that since Ricky's family was rich and important in the community, whereas, mine was definitely blue-collar. I turned off the radio, and the lights and laid awake on my bed staring at the ceiling.

The rest of the weekend I focused on doing my homework and remaining isolated. Sunday, I attended church on the back pew, so I could get in and out easy with my crutches.

Monday came and I started another school week. I watched from afar as Ricky and Katie basked in their glory. I thought maybe that would mean they were over pulling pranks on me. Still, I could tell from the sneers and scorn I got as I slowly went through the hall that my trials and tribulations were still ongoing.

I couldn't understand it. For the past years I always treated my friends and classmates with respect and enjoyed socializing with them, but, now I was an outcast, that wasn't acceptable to the other outcasts. I was my own little clique, and it wasn't a lot of fun.

Lunchtime came and I sat alone at a table, glumly watching the other students. I heard a voice behind me.

"Mind if I join you?"

Vicky sat down opposite me and my day got a lot brighter.

"Well, lucky for you that we had that chair available for you" I said sardonically.

"Yeah, this is definitely the A table" she replied wistfully.

That woke me up to a few things I hadn't considered. As bad as it was for me, it was just as bad for Vicky. She had gone from being one of the most popular girls at Harrisburg to a nobody thanks to her confrontations with Ricky. All she had for friends were long distance calls, texts, and Skyping. I was the closest thing to being a friend in person.

We started talking about different topics and now it was easier for us to engage in conversation, Before I knew it the bell rang for the afternoon class to begin. So we got up and said our goodbyes. Our own little two person clique.

We continued to meet for lunch through the week, just the two of us. We would sit at our table quietly talking, getting to know one another. I quickly came to the realization that one hour a day wasn't enough time to spend with her, but, I made the best of it.

Once again, I was invited to come over Friday evening to Vicky's house and once again I accepted.

I groaned as I saw the Monopoly board set out again. I glared at Carol and asked if she didn't know any other game. She giggled and handed me the thimble token again. Carol and Jimmy, both had a friend over, so it was evident they were acclimating to Mooreville, even if Vicky wasn't.

Harrisburg had a bye week, so they weren't playing tonight. Vicky kept looking at the clock as we played. I could tell she was hoping for a call.

Carol set a record by bankrupting me within an hour to howls of delights. Vicky was leading the laughter when the phone rang and she excused herself. I must've showed my feelings because Carol just looked at me and patted my arm. I left to go home and listen to the end of the Mooreville game. Ricky Wilson was once again being hailed as the hero of the game. I heard a post game interview from Coach Chambers saying that Ricky was the best player he ever had at Mooreville. From all the suck ups that called in afterward, you'd thought he was right.

Sunday, I was sitting on the back pew in church when I saw Carol looking back at me. She motioned me to come forward to their pew. I held up my crutches and shook my head no. She acknowledged my reason by nodding her head and whispered something to her mother. Her mom looked back and then whispered something back to Carol. When service was over Carol made a beeline to me.

"Vicky is mad at you."

"Why is she mad at me?" I asked.

"Because, you left when she was on the phone."

I started to get upset and told her, "Well tell your sister that I got mad when she decided to talk on the phone, rather than pay attention to her guest." I stormed away as well as you can storm away on crutches.

The next week at school I didn't see Vicky, so once again I was in exile. I didn't get an invitation to come over Friday, so I spent the evening listening to the Mooreville game. It was another easy victory and they got an interview with Ricky on the radio. To listen to him, you wouldn't know there were ten other players on the field helping him. I started trying to count all the "I" and "me's" interspersed in the interview, but, I lost track.

Saturday, was a wasted day and Sunday, I was once again on the back row when I felt the presence of someone sitting next to me. I looked, and there was Vicky staring straight ahead. She said, "I'm sorry" right before the sermon commenced and I whispered back, "I'm sorry too" as I stared ahead as well. I did see a hint of a grin appear on her face.

After the service, she turned and looked at me and said, "So, I'll see you tomorrow?"

I shook my head and said, "No, not tomorrow."

She started frowning as I continued, "I'm getting fitted for a knee brace tomorrow."

She smiled and said, "That's great, Jim! I know you won't miss these crutches."

"I don't know Vicky. They might come in handy knocking the crap out of Ricky Wilson."

She laughed and said, "So, I'll see you Tuesday?"

"You can count on it." I told her.

She grinned and rose from the pew and as she walked away, she turned back and said, "I missed you." Then she continued to walk away.

I continued to sit as I ran all the possible permutations of her statement through my head. One thing for sure, I couldn't wait for Tuesday to arrive.