All Comments on 'Balboa Park'

by JakeRivers

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Thank you!

A very sweet story. I know Balboa Park and the beach chalet pitches well. As well as the cultures that frequent them. I moved to The City in '79 to attend USF. Just in time for 2 of their National Titles. I had many friends on those teams who drafted me into their pickup games at both of those sites. And the Jazz scene is in a revival along Fillmore (as well as in Northbeach). My introduction to ouzo came from Kris at The Coliseum II and his brother-in-law Louis at Trad'r Sam's. I never intended to tend bar for them. I think they probably convinced me after a few shots of thier native nectar. And now I'll wander off Telegraph Hill down towards Caffe Greco for a cup while I wait for your next submission...

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 16 years ago
Just wonderful!

Jake, this is a beautiful love story. The pace was perfect. It also brought back some long forgotten memories. I was a developer on a FORTRAN compiler for a major computer company back in the 1960s. <p> <p> <p> And I've been a jazz buff since 1943 when I got my first 78 rpm recording by Billie Holiday. It was "Strange Fruit", and if you know the lyrics and the story behind that, you'll know how it left a strong impression on this Northern teenager who had been transplanted to the deep South. To this day I never see a poplar tree or smell a magnolia without thinking of her soulful song. "Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees...."

bruce22bruce22over 16 years ago
A really fine story

The only problem is that it could have been a fully fleshed novel! Great reconstruction of the seventies.

librarian_jimlibrarian_jimover 16 years ago
Not enough Greek dancing

I liked the story a lot, but from my experience with such families there would have been more Greek (folk) dancing at the restaurant, including the one where they break plates on the floor, and the one where two guys do these elaborate steps while holding the opposite ends of a towel or napkin instead of actually holdong hands.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Very Well Written & Appreciated

Your strengths grow as you are among the real people and you portray them to the enth.<P>

Thanks Author.<P>

With Very High Regard

DesertPirateDesertPirateover 16 years ago
Once again!

A different kind of story using another kind of music, and you blend them so well. Thanks for another great tale.

DG HearDG Hearover 16 years ago
Another well written story

Another great one my good friend. I know of no writer that does detail better. I was surprised with the print change (size) a couple of times. But, it didn't detract from the story.

highest regards,

DG Hear

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
You Never Disappoint

Another great story! BRAVO!!!!

Two comments for your use if you update the story:

1) FORTRAN IV, in use at the time of your story, gave fifteen digits of accuracy in what was called double mode. That's more than enough for any financial matter. My first book was a text: PRACTICAL FORTRAN (Macmillan).

2) In most languages negation has an "n" sound and "okay"

means "yes". In Greek, "okheh" means "no" and "nye" means "yes". Dating in Athens or Piraeus? Your girl says what sounds like "okay"? Make sure you know whether her response was Greek or English!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Supurb

Jake--

This is one of the stories that I read when i need a "pick me up." It is just great and please give us more of the same.

===Cary Sanderson

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Another great story by the greatest writer

You are the best author in Literotica and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say you are the best contemporary romantic story writer in web. Your stories are superb and heartworming. It just make us forget our existence as we proceed through your stories and it seems as all those things are happening before us. Imagination is far better than reality and you give a lot to imagine. Please continue writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I have been a big fan...

... of DG Hear and have re-read many of his stories. I have just begun reading yours and while very good, the first few were (at least to me) not quite as good. However, this story ranks as one of the best I have read. Your detailed descriptions of places and people make them so real.

I once heard that the mark of a good author was that if his stories were read to a person blind from birth and later that person gained sight, they would not be surprised by what they saw for the first time with their own eyes.

I look forward to reading the rest of what you have written.

JR

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
A good story -

With good people and a good plot line -

BUT it rambled a bit - too many paradigm shifts with no clutch heh

But it did end up tied together in the end - just weird perspective shifts getting him to s F.

ag2507ag2507over 7 years ago
MVC Target,Target-1(256)

BR R14

PatrickThomasPatrickThomas12 months ago

Reno to San Francisco via the Golden Gate Bridge is certainly the long way!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous