Billy Ch. 03

Story Info
A return to Denver and a big change.
7.5k words
4.46
45.2k
13
29

Part 3 of the 5 part series

Updated 10/25/2022
Created 06/21/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Stuart returns to Denver where his life is about to change once again.

Edited by Lady Cibelle with my thanks.

Part 3

From Denver to Pittsburgh

I returned to Denver the following day and for the next three weeks, my job and my life such as it was took my mind off my father's death and my reconnection with Billy. I thought about her on the plane back and for several days afterwards, I couldn't get the changes out of my mind. I also couldn't get the way she looked and talked and smelled out of my mind either. But I convinced myself that I had to put her out of my mind. I was mostly successful until the meeting with Ryan Erinson on Friday, a month after my father's funeral. Ryan had flown in from Pittsburgh just to meet with me. I assumed it was about the promotion he had hinted at and I was excited at the possibilities.

We met that evening at Mario's, a restaurant that I knew Ryan liked. At least he always made reservations there when he came to town for a meeting. We started in the bar and had a couple of drinks to relax. I could hold my liquor fairly well and so could Ryan, but this evening we were called for our table quickly and we sat down to dinner. Ryan was not one to talk business when food was present so I relaxed and had a thick juicy steak with baked potato and a vegetable dish that went mostly untouched. The steak was excellent and I enjoyed it while Ryan polished off a nice lobster tail with drawn butter. We both quit with comfortably filled bellies.

"I wish we had this place back in Pittsburgh. The food here is absolutely the best and one of the main reasons I have so many meetings here in Denver. I think you're going to miss it when you come back to Pittsburgh."

I caught the inference immediately. I had worked with Ryan long enough to know that he did this quite often: threw in the main topic while talking about something entirely different.

"Am I going to be in Pittsburgh then?"

"You are if you take my job as I intend."

Now I was shocked. I expected a promotion to executive VP and maybe a board seat, but not Ryan Erinson's job. Not President of the company! There was no position higher than Ryan's unless it was the Chairman of the Board and that was more of a non-voting position. He had to be kidding.

"What are you talking about? I can't take your job while you're still here. Come on Ryan, what's the joke?"

"No joke. I'm retiring at the end of the month. I've tendered my resignation and the board has accepted it. I recommended you for the position and the board also accepted that too. It's yours if you want it. Effective the end of this month. Three weeks from now."

He was grinning as he leaned back with both hands crossed over his ample belly. He knew he had surprised me since we had talked about a promotion several times but never this. Never this!

"I don't know what to say except: Hell yes! Of course I'll accept. Damn you Ryan, how could you do this to me? You really enjoyed this didn't you? God, I'm completely floored by this. I'll have to find a replacement; I'll have to move back to Pittsburgh; find a new place to live, and. . . . I'm babbling aren't I?"

"That's OK. I know this is a complete surprise but you handled it very well. Just as you do everything else. With your dad's death, I had to postpone it for a while to give you time to recover but now: Congratulations! You've worked hard and you've earned it. The board was unanimous in accepting your name."

We talked for some time about the changeover and what was involved. I asked about my successor and he suggested I offer it to Mark Fletcher. I told him I would consider it but in my heart I knew I wouldn't. I had never forgiven Mark and I had no intention of doing so now. He had done an outstanding job where he was and he deserved consideration but now that I was President, he would go no further. I looked forward to telling him that when I took the job. Petty? Yes! But damn, it felt good to keep the promise I made to myself at the time.

Ryan left the next day and I set about making the necessary changes. I spoke first to Paula and asked her if she would like the job as Executive Secretary for the President of the whole damn company. I won't go into detail except to say she accepted the position. Otherwise things were easy to set up since I knew my people and knew who could do the jobs that needed filled. By the second week, I had things in Denver in good shape and was ready to go. I decided to take a week off and fly back to Pittsburgh. I could use the time to look for a place to live and finish some of the things from the funeral I had left behind when I returned. Paula decided to come with me and we left Denver behind.

I decided not to visit the offices that week since it would be nothing but congratulations and hand shaking. I needed the time away to get my mind around the changes in location and what it would mean. It was a major move for me since I had left under stressful conditions. Now, returning, things were more in control but memories were still able to intrude and take me by surprise at times. I decided to do first things first and look for a place to live.

I contacted a realtor and spent two days just driving around and finding the areas I wanted to consider. We found several that seemed appropriate. I had little interest in a house except as a place to sleep but the realtor knew my job and wanted to show me places that were suitable for an executive and one who would be entertaining. I tried to tell her that wasn't likely to happen but she simply told me to get my wife and let her do the selecting. Entertaining would be her job and she would know what she wanted.

The mention of my wife hit me hard. I had not thought of Billy now for the last several weeks as I was fully occupied with the upcoming move. Now, this inconsiderate bitch brought her back! But the more I thought of it, the more the idea of using Billy to help me pick a place seemed like a good one. The old Billy would know at a glance what I should buy. I made up my mind to ask her and I told the realtor I would talk to a lady friend tomorrow to set up some visits. With that, I drove back to my hotel and called Billy.

"Hello?"

"Hello Billy. It's Stuart. Do you have a moment?"

Silence from the other end. I wondered if my call had been disconnected just as she answered.

"Hello Stu. I'm sorry, I was just surprised. I didn't expect to hear from you again so soon. Are you calling from Denver?"

"No actually I'm here in Pittsburgh. It's a long story but I was wondering if you have some time to help me with something."

"Of course I'll be glad to help. What do you need?"

"I need to buy a house. My realtor seems to think I need a woman's perspective since she thinks I'll be entertaining a lot."

"Buy a house? Where? Not here certainly. You don't come to Pittsburgh that often do you?"

"No Billy. I've been offered the job as President of Allied Windings. It's Ryan's job. I've accepted it and I'll be moving to Pittsburgh permanently."

I heard a little squeal of delight and than "Oh my God! Stuart! I'm so happy for you. It's your dream job, the one you've always wanted. And now it's yours? Congratulations honey!"

My stomach did a flip-flop. Honey! She called me honey! It was probably a reflex but why did it hit me so hard?

"Yes, well, so I ah. . . I'd like you to help me pick a place. I really need a woman's perspective. I've looked at a lot of places and there are some very nice ones but I'd really appreciate it if you could give me your opinion. Would you do that? Can you get off work tomorrow?"

"School's out for the summer Stu. I'm not working right now. And yes, I would love to help you pick a place."

Good. I'll pick you up tomorrow about 9:00. Is that OK?"

"I'll be ready. Goodbye."

Well I've done it now. I had no idea of what would happen but I've made the first move.

Billy was ready when I pulled up at her townhouse right at 9:00. She was standing out in front, dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, both loose and plain. She had on sneakers and her hair was brushed to its usual shine. She looked gorgeous to me.

"Ready for this? We have four houses to see and the realtor will meet us at the first one. It's a large two story with five bedrooms and five baths. I have no idea what I would do with five bathrooms but I promised her I would look."

She pulled the car door shit and said, "It sounds like fun. Let's get to it."

We found the first house with the instructions from the realtor and it was in an upscale neighborhood. All the houses around it were large and pretentious. Without going in, I already didn't like it and I could tell from the look on Billy's face that she didn't either. I told her to wait while I talked to the realtor. After a few frustrating minutes she nodded and I walked back to the car.

"I told her I didn't even want to look at this one. Too big and too much. I'd never want an area like this. Is that alright with you?"

"I agree completely. This isn't you, or at least it wasn't. I don't know if you've changed that much in the last five years. You're a big important man now and things might be different."

"I haven't changed that much. Let's see what the next one is like."

At the next house, we were at least inclined to look at it. It was still large with over 5000 square feet of living space, most of which I would never see. But at least we looked. After a reasonable time we were ready for the next one.

As we pulled up to the third house on the list, I was almost ready to buy it on sight. It was a large rambling ranch house with a beautiful lot, fully landscaped with mature shrubs and trees and blooming plants. It looked like it spread out over a large space and the roof line was multi peaked. The house screamed character from the first.

"This looks interesting. I already like the looks of it from the outside. I can't wait to see inside. I hope we won't be disappointed. How about you?"

All I got was a nod yes. Billy had not said a word from the minute I pulled up. I wasn't sure what to make of that but I got out and walked around to open her door. She did get out and stood looking at the house, still without speaking. The realtor pulled in and went to the front door, unlocking it and opening it wide. The door was double with both sides opening and the impression was one of welcome.

We walked together up to the front, paused to admire the entrance and then entered. The foyer was open to the main room and the impression was of wide open space. I could see the back yard through the back wall that was all glass. It overlooked a pool and a beautifully landscaped back. There was a small but nicely designed pool house and it faced a hot tub that emptied into the pool. This was the heat source for the pool.

Billy walked slowly into the great room, stood looking around and then without a sound walked into the hallway leading off to the left. There were four bedrooms down that hall with each having its own bath. I looked into the first one but just moved back to the glass wall where I could admire the pool and the deck. I did find a wet bar in the great room that caused me to stop and admire for several minutes. As I prepared to move outside, Billy came back and walked straight ahead to the right and into the kitchen. I followed her in. It was huge with a large center island topped by a drop down pot and pan rack. The appliances were all stainless steel and the overall appearance was of the control room of an ocean going vessel.

Past that was a large den/family room with a big screen TV and several game pieces. I saw a pool table, an air hockey table and several other pieces. On one side was a card table set up for any card game one could think of. I was beginning to believe I had found my house. I looked for Billy but didn't see her.

I walked back to the foyer where the realtor was standing, talking on her cell.

"Did you see the lady? Did she leave?"

"Yes she did. She went out to the car and she said to let you know she was there. How do you like this one? It's a great house, a good price and the owners will sell it furnished or empty. They can be out in one week if you want and they are motivated to sell. All you have to do is make a strong offer and we can close this deal."

"I like the house but I want to discuss it with my lady friend first. There's no reason to see any more. Can I call you later today? I'll probably be ready to make an offer."

"Wonderful! I'll start on the paperwork and we can fill in the money when we meet later. You've made a good choice. This area is great and very quiet. The association is very reasonable and leaves the owners alone for the most part. Just reasonable things like landscaping and road care."

"Fine. I'll call you later then. Goodbye and thanks for all your help."

I went outside and saw Billy standing by the car with her back to me. I walked quickly toward her not knowing what was wrong. Why had she left without a word to me? As I came closer, she must have heard me and turned with a smile, but I could see that she had been crying. She tried to cover it but it was clear. Her eyes were still bright with unshed tears.

"Billy! What's wrong? Are you ill? Is something the matter? Please, I'm so sorry that I was distracted. I'll take you home right away."

"No, no Stuart. It's nothing. I'm fine. Please don't be concerned."

I opened the door and waited as she slid in. I carefully shut the door and walked around to the driver's side. I was not going to budge until I found out what the problem was. If she wasn't sick or ill, why the tears? Once in the car, I turned to her and asked,

"OK, talk to me. What's wrong? It can't be the house because I know you liked it, so tell me. We're not going anywhere until you do."

Billy wiped her eyes with a handkerchief and leaned back against the headrest, a habit she had when she was angry or disturbed about something. It seemed that some habits were hard to break,

"The house was absolutely perfect for you. It has everything you will need to entertain and it is a house that is made for living. If you can get it furnished, the previous owners had very good taste. It is wonderfully decorated and I wouldn't change a thing."

"If it's perfect why did it upset you so?"

"Because it represents everything I threw away. If I hadn't been so selfish and cruel, I would have been looking at our house. Instead it is yours and I have no part of it."

She looked stricken and I reached for her but she backed away.

"I'm sorry! This isn't right. Please, forget what I said and take me home, please."

What that, she began to sob. Deep heart wrenching sobs of despair. I didn't know what to say or do other than to let her cry herself out. I understood what she said and I knew now that she was deeply sorry for her past life. While I saw the changes in her as positive, she saw only what she had lost.

After she had calmed down enough to let me know she was going to be OK, I took her home. I walked her to her door and waited until she assured me she was fine. When the door closed, I just stood there for several minutes thinking of the pain she was in. I wondered now how I could feel sadness for her when five years ago this would have given me such pleasure. I guess time does heal all wounds. I turned and drove back to my hotel.

Other than one phone call the next day to see if she was OK, I didn't talk to or see Billy again for the next three weeks. I had my hands full getting into the job and getting my hands on the reins of the business. And I thought that Billy needed the time away from me and the painful memories I evoked. Actually, I found that this job was far less demanding than my previous one and Paula, who already had things figured out, took control. I guess what they say is true: the higher you climb, the less you have to do. The only fly in the ointment was having to see Mark on an everyday basis.

He came in to congratulate me and welcome me back. I was now his boss in all ways and he knew it. He still stopped to ask Paula if he could see me and she continued to give him a hard time about it. She enjoyed it and so did I. As always, I had him leave the door open and our meeting was strictly business as it had been since that day almost five years ago.

Two weeks later, I invited Mark and a young man named Philip Waterman into my office to tell them that I was promoting Philip to take my position in Denver. Philip was younger than Mark and Mark had trained him when he came in. There was no question in either my or Mark's mind that Phil was good but not as good as Mark. This was the payback I had been waiting for. I wanted Mark to know that the decision to promote Phil over him was mine and mine alone. When I announced it, Mark gave me a long hard look but turned to congratulate Phil on his promotion. Phil would be relocating to Denver and Mark would stay just as he had for the past five or six years.

When Phil left, Mark asked to stay behind to speak to me. I agreed and actually let him close the office door. He came back in and remained standing.

"This is payback isn't it? This is the other shoe dropping. I knew that you were going to do something but not this. I thought that I had done a good job for you. I have given you and this company all I had. Apparently it wasn't enough to make you forget."

"No, I didn't forget. The one thing I prize above all else is loyalty. I always believed you were loyal and my friend. When you showed me I was wrong, I held my anger and my retribution all this time. But now, when it matters the most to you, I saw my opportunity. You are much better and more deserving than Phil. But he gets the job, not you."

"Is that fair to the company? How can you give him the job that I earned when you know the results will not be as good? How can you still hate me that much?"

"It's not hate. I never felt much at all for you after I found you with Billy that day. I even promoted you once and I've worked with you for the past five years and I've given you nothing but cooperation. Your raises have been based on your excellent performance. There was no hate: just the knowledge that you let me down and betrayed me. I won't give you the opportunity to do it again, because I believe that if an opportunity arose and you could benefit from it, you would betray me. That's all it is. So, Philip may fail and if he does, I'll replace him."

"That's not true and I think you know it. I kept my promise to you. I never spoke to Billy again after you left. We've never seen each other and I'm married now with a new baby. I've moved on and I've regretted what I did every time I see you. But it happened and I explained it to you at the time. I loved Billy but she didn't love me. She loved you but she was also a selfish person who used me to punish you and I let her. I never thought of it as a betrayal of you, but that's what you saw and for that, I'm sorry."

"Just do your job if you want to stay, or leave. I don't really care. I don't care what your reasons were. It makes no difference. Betrayal is the same regardless of the motivation and the pain to the person betrayed is the same regardless of the reason. That is the price you have to pay for what you did. It is your misfortune that I'm now in a position to exact that price."

Mark looked at me and saw the determination in my eyes. He shook his head as if in denial but finally turned and walked out of the office. I found the revenge that I had taken to be a hollow victory, absent any pleasure or satisfaction. But it was something I needed to do for my own preservation. Maybe now I could get on with my life without thinking about Mark and revenge.

I had been on the job for just over three months when I decided to have a party to gather together all of the top executives and their significant others to allow me to meet them. I had the perfect home for it, the weather was perfect and the pool was open and ready for people. In a few months, cooler weather would set in and it would go to waste. Now was the perfect time.

12