BirthRight Ch. 04-06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Only Alphas and you are that good," Jayden said.

"That's my point," Silas said, tapping the desk.

"They've no training to use that skill, yet they have lived twenty years avoiding detection."

"I'm sure it was because of the severe injuries we discovered them at all," Jayden said.

"We need to see what capabilities these wolves have. Secure lodgings for the twins and their mother on your grounds. They will need to be our guests for a while longer. I want security on them at all times. There are still too many unanswered questions and we need more time to uncover the mystery." Plus he suspected their connection was unique and wanted to watch them further.

"Yes, Sir."

Silas stood and stretched, ready to be alone with his thoughts. "I'm going to make arrangements to send Cameron to my home; Jacques will take care of him as well as the Alpha trainees a little longer while I work on this problem. Go to sleep; we'll start fresh in the morning."

Jayden nodded and walked toward the door. "Rest well."

"You too." Silas watched the door close behind one of his favorite Alphas. Jayden suffered abuse as a pup. Cast aside by his pack because he lacked a finger on his left hand. It was obvious to Silas the man had the heart of a warrior, but his paw caused him problems at times. Not that it stopped others from following his leadership. By the time Silas met Jayden, the pack leader had over twenty wolves following him. Impressed with the man's integrity and desire to insure his pack received the best he could give them, Silas offered him the opportunity to train as one of his Alphas.

Jayden's man's first concern was for his pack during his absence, as it should have been. Silas installed the beta as temporary leader while Jayden went through months of training required to be a La Patron Alpha.

Silas had never repented of his decision. Before preparing for bed, he rebooted the laptop, there was one other site he wanted to check. While waiting for it to come online, he stripped off his shirt and laid it across the brocade covered chair.

He glanced at the mirror across the room and grimaced. It had been a long day, and he looked like a wet mutt. No doubt Jacques, his personal servant, would be horrified to see the five o'clock shadow on his angular jaw. He rubbed the scratchy surface as he realized the blinking cursor awaited his next instruction. He typed in the website, pleased with the number of hits.

He chose the first and read the contents, even going so far as to verify the footnotes. Two and a half hours later, concern had turned to dread. As he continued reading, the dread magnified into fear. The ancient strategy slapped him in the face, infuriating him.

The kingdom of heaven is like what happened when a farmer scattered good seed in a field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, an enemy came and scattered weed seeds in the field and then left.26 When the plants came up and began to ripen, the farmer's servants could see the weeds. 27 The servants came and asked, "Sir, didn't you scatter good seed in your field? Where did these weeds come from?"28 "An enemy did this," he replied. His servants then asked, "Do you want us to go out and pull up the weeds?" 29 "No!" he answered. "You might also pull up the wheat. 30 Leave the weeds alone until harvest time. Then I'll tell my workers to gather the weeds and tie them up and burn them. But I'll have them store the wheat in my barn."

Furious with the possibility that an enemy had set a nefarious plan in motion to infiltrate and weaken the wolves with half breeds he opened the window and leapt to the ground. The moment he touched the soil, his paws dug into the cool earth.

The need to reconnect with nature thrummed through him. He ran through the complex and out into the forest surrounding the compound, the dark blue-black coat of his wolf almost invisible in the night.

Anxious, his wolf recognized the inherent threat to his pack and wanted to attack. The man in him realized the need to allow his wolf the freedom to run, but cautioned the cunning beast of the need to plan as well as protect. They'd get in front of the threat before things spiraled out of control.

After a long, exhilarating run, Silas returned to the house.

Jayden had left the back door opened. Still in wolf form, he padded up the stairs to his room. Once in the room, he shifted and closed the door behind him. A shower was his next order of business.

Afterward, he walked downstairs to make sure he secured the door and discovered all traces of the debris he'd tracked in from his late night run was gone from the floor.

The softness of his bed called out to him as he retraced his steps, and he fell into a troubled sleep.

Chapter 6

Jasmine walked into Tyrone's room, well rested, yet uneasy over the speed of her son's recovery. Her sister may have a point, she thought, looking over her shoulder at the large man in the hall who watched her and then turned when he noticed she'd seen him. Was he following her? She frowned at the idea and walked inside the room.

The doctor stood at the bed talking with Tyrone in quiet tones. When she entered, her son smiled at her.

"Good morning, Mrs. Bennett," the doctor said, reaching for her hand.

"Morning." She placed her bag in the lower drawer and turned to face them.

"You look pretty," Tyrone said.

"Thanks, hon." She placed a kiss on his brow and looked at the doctor who watched them.

"What's next for him?" she asked with a touch of apprehension.

The doctor's brow furrowed as though he hadn't expected that question. After clearing his throat he looked down at her. "I was just discussing that with Tyrone. I'm pleased with the progress of his healing." His face pinked. "Although he needs more rest for a complete recovery," he rushed, almost as an afterthought.

She eyed him and looked at her son.

"I have him scheduled to move to a rehab complex in the city for more treatment, and—"

Jasmine's hand flew up in the air. "Hold up." She pointed at the doctor, who appeared shocked at her interruption. "Seven days ago, my son stopped breathing, was in critical condition. The doctor told me it would take months for him to recover and now, he's been here, what - five days, and almost looks like he did before he left for this last deployment." She inhaled, pulling her thoughts together. "Now, I don't want you to think I'm not grateful." She shook her head. "I am, but something's not right. Tell me right now what treatment you've given him that has him like this." Her stomach quivered with nerves. She prayed they hadn't done experimental procedures on her boy.

"Mrs. Bennett, the treatment I used on your son is a patented process unique to our hospital. It works when the recipient is in top condition and can heal on his own with therapy." He crossed his arms and looked down at her. "I assure you, Tyrone has received the best medical care in the country for his situation."

She crossed her arms. "Explain why the doctor at the other hospital said it would take so much longer for him to heal."

He shrugged, nonplussed. "I can't answer that. But I will tell you we use cutting edge technology here that many hospitals in the area don't. And I am an expert in my field. We have done nothing wrong here." He finished his tirade in a huff.

Exasperated that he'd put her on defense, she backed off, unwilling to apologize for being a concerned parent, but recognizing the need to mend bridges.

Instead of addressing the specifics of Tyrone's care, she ventured down another path. "Is this place expensive? Will the Army cover the cost?" No one had asked her for any information on him and that struck her as strange.

His face tightened. "Mr. Bennett has already talked to finance and admissions. From what I've read, his financial arrangements are current."

She looked at her son. His clenched jaw stopped the next remark from leaving her mouth. Had she gone overboard? Embarrassed him? She wasn't sure.

"Sorry I'm late," Renee said, strolling into the room. She stopped and looked between the three occupants in the room. "What happened?"

Jasmine glanced at her son. The muscle in his forehead jumped. "Nothing, the doctor was just saying he wants Rone to go to another facility to finish recuperating."

Renee eyed the doctor and then walked over to her nephew. "Rone, honey?"

He opened his eyes half-mast. "Hi aunty."

"Hey sweetie. How do you feel? Are you up to moving again?" Worry clear in her voice.

Tyrone nodded. "I feel good, but I need to get stronger. Food, exercise, and time should do the trick."

Renee patted his shoulder as she glanced at Jasmine. "When did you want him to begin?" she asked the doctor.

"By the end of the week, he should be ready by then."

"Will there be a place for my sister?" Renee asked. "I'm leaving later today, things came up and I need to get back to Missouri. My other nephew will need to crash there as well."

The doctor nodded, a pensive look on his face. "Living quarters are available for those using the facility because people come from all over the country." There was a thread of pride in his voice. "I'll check on what's available and get back to you." He made a point of looking at Tyrone when he said that last bit.

Jasmine stewed as they discussed her son's next move as though she weren't standing in the room. They want to play this card? She fumed as she listened.

"Okay, when's Rese getting here?" Renee asked, looking at Tyrone and then at Jasmine.

Tyrone shrugged. "I don't know, do you, mom?"

It was on the tip of her tongue to lash out, but she resisted and shook her head instead. Rather than explode over her treatment, she picked up her purse, hefted it onto her shoulder and left the room without a backward glance. She'd made it to the lobby, when her cell beeped.

Inhaling, she spoke in a calm tone. "Hey, baby. Where are you?" she asked Tyrese while pushing open the heavy glass door and then walking into the gardens.

"I'm just finishing up my debriefing. I'm waiting for my driver and then heading over there. How's Rone?"

"He seems to be doing better, the doctor wants to move him to another facility for therapy and stuff," she said, wondering what he thought of the move. He knew better than anyone how serious Tyrone's injury had been.

"He does? Hmmm. What do you think about that?"

She released a long pent-up breath. "First off, I'm surprised by how fast he's healing. Don't get me wrong, if I never see him look the way he did that first day, I'm okay with that. It's happening so fast. When I asked the doctor about it, he got offended and Rone acted like I'd embarrassed him."

"For real?" The surprise in his voice was a soothing balm to her injured feelings. It had always been the three of them against the world. She understood they were able to make their own decisions, but there had always been respect and love between them.

"Yeah." The sadness in her voice must have translated through the phone.

"Mom, you know he'd never do anything to stress you out. He's going through things right now, don't let it get to you."

She looked straight ahead at the wild array of brilliant colors in the garden, inhaled the multitude of fragrances, and allowed the sweet smell ease her pain. "Hmmm."

"Where are you?"

"What?"

"Where are you right now?"

"I'm at the hospital."

"With Rone?"

"No."

"Okay. Tell me, where you are?"

"Sitting in the garden."

"Garden?"

"At the hospital. It's pretty, and it calms me."

"Okay. I'm in the car now and should be there in about..." he paused. She heard him talking to someone, ten more minutes. I want to see you first. Can you wait for me in the garden, please?"

Jasmine looked up at the cloudless blue sky. Throughout most of her marriage, her husband ignored her. The one thing she'd counted on keeping her sane was the connection with her sons. Now that appeared to be waning.

A shaft of pain lodged in her chest. "Yes, I'll wait. See you soon." Weary, she disconnected, and pulled a stick of gum from her purse. "What the hell happened to me?" she murmured. She'd met Davian in high school, they'd become friends. One night he'd been in pain and had come to see her. He couldn't speak, he hurt so bad. Something clicked inside her and all she wanted was to ease his suffering. Instead of following her parent's rule of no company when they weren't at home, she'd allowed her friend to come in for just a few minutes.

He'd looked terrible.

Sweat dripped from all over his body. One minute he'd been hot, the next cold. It baffled her, and she had no idea what to do. She held him as he cried, jerking in pain. Later, his breathing normalized and when he could speak, he thanked her. She'd pushed away, but he'd grabbed her hand and kissed her.

At first, she'd struggled, but the timid boy who'd been her closest buddy turned out to be real strong. One thing led to another and the next thing she knew, she'd cried out in pain and tried to push him off her. He moved a few more times, grunted, and rolled off. She'd scrambled away from him and demanded he leave. He started crying and apologizing as she pushed him out the door.

Two months later she told him she was pregnant. Her life had been one of duty and doing the right thing. Davian never loved her, and she didn't love him either. But she'd been pregnant with twins. It hurt her parents. They wanted her to give her children up for adoption.

Davian's parents had been assholes and disowned him when he owned up to his kids. It had been hard in the beginning. She'd never made it to college like she'd dreamed. The constant moving and living in the boonies kept her from making lasting friendships. Now, at thirty-six, she was alone, and that sucked.

Tyrese Bennett hung up the phone and ground his teeth in anger at his brother. The one person they'd both swore would never be hurt in this charade was their mother. She'd suffered years of neglect and emotional abuse from their father.

Although they'd promised their old man to never expose their wolf nature to anyone, keeping that bit of information from their mom hurt the most. His dad had been adamant that they keep her in the dark for her own safety, but he'd never bought into that explanation.

Heaven help them if she ever discovered they'd kept the fact their father had found his mate, and had lived the last few years of his life with Matt. Tyrese had hated the way his father treated his mom and vowed to never give her cause to be sad again. Now she sat in the gardens of that hospital upset because she had no idea her son was a wolf with serious healing capabilities.

He reached out to Tyrone through their link.

"What'd you do to mom?"

"Hello to you too, bro."

"Answer me." Tyrese wasn't in the mood to play games. Tyrone knew how protective he'd become of their mother since his dad had proved how much of an ass he could be.

"She was questioning the doctor over my care like I was an idiot just laying here. I didn't say anything to her—"

"You're an ass."

"Of course I am. And you are?"

"Think for one moment how she feels. You were dead. Get that? Dead a week ago; now you're ready to go jogging. She doesn't understand your wolf abilities. Humans do not heal that fast."

"Damn."

"Yeah. If she's upset, I swear I'm gonna fuck you up."

"Too late, that's already happened. I'll send Aunty to find her so I can apologize."

"I got this. I'll see you later." Tyrese disconnected their mental link as the car pulled beneath the hospital portico.

"Thanks, man." He passed the driver a few bills as he exited the car. Striding inside to the information desk, he ignored the curious glances. "Hi, which way to the garden?"

"Which one? We have three," the lady at the counter said, as she pulled a map from her desk. Pointing at the diagram, she spoke. "This is the largest, and it's near the cafeteria." Her finger roved the sheet. "And the other two smaller ones are located here and here. Just follow the map and signs, you shouldn't have any problems."

He took the paper and noticed she'd written a phone number on the front. He sent her a wink and a smile, with a promise in his eyes to get back in touch. It had been a while since he'd indulged himself between a woman's thighs, and she looked hot.

"I need to talk with you. Come to my office."

Tyrese stumbled as an unfamiliar voice entered his mind. At first he thought he was hearing things. He looked up and then around, searching for speakers. When he didn't see anything, he shrugged and continued toward the cafeteria gardens.

"I'm not going to ask you again. Come into my office, now."

This time there was no way Tyrese could misunderstand. Someone had just spoken to him through a similar link he'd used to speak to his brother a few minutes ago. Curious and half afraid, he followed the thread.

"Who are you?"

"La Patron. I need to speak to you before you speak with your mother."

At the mention of his mother, Tyrese balked. "My mom? What does she have to do with this?" One moment he was standing in the middle of the hall, the next he was on all fours in wolf form.

He yelped. His paws all but slid over the concrete floor as the feeling of being dragged forward ran through him. His wolf followed directions that led him up a series of stairs into a room where two men sat at a conference table.

"Close the door," a large man with green eyes said.

Tyrese's wolf turned and nudged the door closed. When finished, he sat on the floor wagging his tail, much to Tyrese's disgust. This was the first time in years he'd had no control over his animal. That someone else, someone he didn't know, had control, pissed him off and scared him.

"Come take a seat, we have much to discuss in a short amount of time. Right now your mother is enjoying the gardens, but I don't know how long she plans to stay." The man waved to a chair at the table.

Tyrese wanted to say she waited for him, but he couldn't speak. A moment later, he lay naked on the floor in human form. Because he hadn't called his wolf, the words he normally invoked to insure his clothing reappeared when he reverted back to human were missing.

"There are clothes on the chair. Get dressed."

Tyrese stood and walked backward to the chair. As he dressed, he glared at the man who'd just blown his theory that he and his brother could handle anything life threw at them.

"I think you know who I am, would you mind explaining who you are and what do you know of my mother?" Tyrese took a seat at the table.

"I'm Silas Knight, the Patron. This is Jayden - Alpha of this area. You and your family are guests on his pack lands and owe him thanks. I don't know how much you know or understand about pack dynamics, but while in his territory you show him respect."

Tyrese understood and nodded. "Alpha Jayden, my thanks for the care of my family."

Jayden nodded. "La Patron promised your brother he would protect your mother and his aunt. I serve him."

Tyrese was pleased Tyrone had taken care of the care of the women who mattered most to them. He looked at the Patron. "I owe you my gratitude." He bowed from the waist.

"It was important to do so," the Patron said, leaning back in his chair while looking at Tyrese. "Let me be clear, young wolf. I control the Alphas in this country. The well-being of the wolf nation is my number one priority. I have extended my protection to your family to allow me time to study the unique occurrence of your birthright."

Tyrese froze. He'd known sooner or later his father's fears would be realized. He'd hoped it would be later.

"First off, a human female gives birth to two pups. They all live healthy lives. She is not the mate of the wolf who impregnates her. There is no emotional connection to stop her from becoming impregnated again from another wolf. We have an untenable situation here. Wolves mate for life. Period. The human element upsets the balance."