Black Velvet Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh," said the Chief, "that's because the Walnut Prep boys were taking all classes at Walnut Prep and their only contact with County High was to play on their teams. By way of contrast, Rob Dortmund was always an NCHS student, only taking some classes at Walnut that we can't offer here, like Calculus."

"Okay." I said. "Well, we're going to have to notify Robert and Dorothy about their son."

"I'll handle that." said the Chief. "I'll get their pastor before I go. Paul," he said to Lt. Price, "you come, too, so that you can interview them. Commander, we appreciate the help, and we'll keep you in the loop. As Evans said, this does look like a strange one, and right up your alley."

"Whatever I can do to help, Chief, I will." I said. "And if you don't mind, I'd like to go with you when you interview the parents."

"No problem." said the Chief. Lt. Price didn't seem as happy about that, but said nothing. Cindy stayed with Molly as I followed the Chief and Lt. Price.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Robert and Dorothy Dortmund were sobbing after being told that their eldest child Rob was dead. Rob's younger brother and sister were in school.

"What happened to him?" asked Robert, whose son had looked like him. Robert was fairly tall and slender, and operated the Auto Parts Store in Hillside.

"We found him stabbed in the back of the neck." said Lt. Price. "I'm sorry, but we can't give any more details immediately. And I also apologize for this intrusion in your hour of grief, but I need to ask some questions. This is SBI Inspector Troy, who is assisting us on this case."

"The Iron Crowbar?" asked Robert Dortmund. "Of course we recognize you, Commander Troy. And I'm grateful you're taking the time to help find our son's killers."

"I'm sorry for your loss, and I'll do whatever I can to help." I replied.

Lt. Price said "When was the last time you saw Rob?"

"Yesterday, when he went to school." said Dorothy, who was plain-faced, not pretty but not ugly, not skinny but not fat. Mr. Dortmund agreed.

"Had he had any altercation with anyone at school? With friends?" asked Lt. Price.

"Not that I heard of." said Robert.

"His sister didn't say anything, either." said Dorothy. "And she'd snitch on him any chance she got." I nodded at that piece of valuable news.

"He went to Walnut Prep for some classes?" asked Price.

"For calculus, and for an AP Test Prep course." said Mr. Dortmund. "He was hoping to get a baseball scholarship to one of the smaller but more-academically-qualified schools, like Duke, Wake Forest, or Gardner-Webb."

"How well did he know the teachers?" asked Lt. Price. The parents seemed to glance at each other, just a bit, the first break in their postures since being told of Rob's death.

"Uh, he liked them fine." said Mr. Dortmund. "I know he would stay after school for extra college prep work, and they were helping him with that."

"Do you know which teachers he was working with?" Lt. Price asked.

"I'm not sure." said Mr. Dortmund. "I'm inclined to say 'all of them', but I really don't know by names."

"Commander, do you have any questions?" asked Lt. Price.

"Ma'am, sir," I asked, "did any of your son's friends also take any classes at Walnut Prep? Any of the other athletes at Nextdoor County High School?"

"Yes, his two best friends, Karl Vilseck and Steve Hanson." said Mrs. Dortmund. "They're also Seniors at NCHS, on the baseball team, and were taking the same classes at Walnut Prep."

"They're good kids, though." said Mr. Dortmund. "Just like Rob. You don't think they had anything to do with his death, do you?"

"No idea, sir." I said. "And I'm not trying to imply anything. But it's standard procedure to ask friends if they know anything. Maybe they can tell us something that can put us on the track of the killers. One never knows where that vital clue to break the case may turn up. Maybe they can help us bring Justice for your son."

"We'll talk to Karl and Steve, see if they can help us." said Lt. Price reassuringly.

Part 4 - Student Affairs

After having lunch with Molly, Lt. Price, and Detective German, Cindy and I headed back home.

"Not sure why we were asked to come in." I said. "Nextdoor County PD's people are pretty good, from what I observed. They didn't need us."

"Molly told me that they did it partially to support the SBI Reserve program." Cindy said. "Katherine Woodburn, who is their State Senator as well as ours, has been pushing them around, trying to get them to come out in support of a strong SBI, and they're pushing back as hard as they can. They hate her guts."

"Nothing new there." I replied.

Cindy went on: "Molly also says she fears both Price and German will be hired away by bigger police forces, such as the City, and so you and I might be asked to help as SBI Reservists even more in the event of future crimes."

"Yes, German showed some ability." I said. "I think Price is going to be stuck here, even though he seems to be a decent Detective. So... what did you think of the crime scene?"

"I think that's the first time I've ever seen you agree with a theory so early in the hunt." Cindy said. "Martha may be right, but you usually refuse to theorize without a lot more data."

"True, and Martha usually doesn't speculate that strongly right off the bat." I said. "But from what I was seeing, I think she was right."

"So." Cindy said, matter-of-factly, "you didn't have any pointers for them?"

"You think they needed some?" I asked back.

"Molly does, and I think she was hoping you'd throw them a bone or two, in a non-sexual way, of course." Cindy said, her voice deadpan flat.

"Well, they didn't ask." I said. "They do some things differently than we do, but that doesn't mean their ways are wrong. I do hope they'll follow up and interview some people."

"Why wouldn't they?" asked Cindy.

"Well..." I said, then went on: "Look, don't repeat any of this, not even to Molly. As you know, we don't immediately tell the family when when we find their loved one dead. If it had been up to me, I'd have had Lt. Price go in alone, tell the parents that he understands Rob is missing, and ask them for anything and everything they know. Then I'd have the Chief come in with the Pastor. Once the parents saw the pastor, they knew it was bad."

"Yes, I get that." Cindy said.

"The parents also showed some discomfort when Lt. Price asked about the Walnut Prep teachers. Then the parents got more wary when I asked who Rob Dortmund's friends were"

"Think there's a connection?"

"Oh, do I ever." I said. "But there is also a second, completely unrelated possibility, and I'll have that second idea disproved... or proved... first. It's the easier path, if it's the one. Anyway, I hope Price follows up with Karl Vilseck and Steve Hanson. If not, I'll have to talk with them myself."

We were almost home when a thought struck me. "By the way," I said, "did you not find it strange that they were unable to identify Rob Dortmund at the scene? His face was not marred."

"Uh..." Cindy said, "would you expect them to know him?"

"Well, Hillside is much smaller that our Town here." I said. "Less than ten thousand people. The Chief knew Dortmund's parents, and who their pastor was. German is new, but Price isn't. And I can't believe they can't bring up DMV records as easily as we do."

"You make good points." Cindy said. "But does it rise to the level of a 'strangeness'?"

"Yes." I said. "Yes it does."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Walnut Prep was located on private grounds just east of, and bordering upon, the Heritage Cloisters subdivision. We drove up to the front gate in my Police SUV. The gatekeeper didn't seem to happy to see us, but let us through.

The campus was very small: four buildings, two each on the east and west sides of a parade ground yard, with the Admin building on the north and the gymnasium on the south. We parked in the Visitors area and went in.

"Headmaster Meadows will see you shortly, sir." said the secretary, a wizened looking woman with a sharp nose and a severe attitude. "Please have a seat, it may take a few moments."

"How about he sees me right now." I said, holding up my badge. "Or I can have Officers come arrest him and take him to Police Headquarters. Whichever he prefers; it won't make much difference to me."

The secretary looked like she wanted to kill me, but she buzzed the office. A moment later, Headmaster John Meadows appeared at the door.

"Well, hello, Don." he said. "Come on in."

"I am afraid this is a formal, professional call." I said. "My profession. Hello, Mrs. Meadows."

"Hello Commander." said Claire Meadows, who was sitting on the sofa to the desk's left and our right. Her gaze went from my face right to my crotch.

"Have a seat." said John Meadows, indicating two chairs facing the sofa. He sat down next to his wife.

"This is my partner, Captain Ross." I said, by way of introduction. They both nodded to her. I noticed how they were dressed. Headmaster John Meadows was in a suit and tie, but the tie was as solid and severe black as the suit jacket and pants. His shirt was white. He had light brown hair and a thin beard and mustache framing his roundish face, and wire-framed spectacles.

Claire Meadows was wearing a black dress, sheer black stockings, and high heel black pumps. Her raven black hair was in a tight bun, with a few curling strands framing her very pretty face. She looked more like Ivy Starnes than my wife in the face, but her legs and body were magnificent like my wife's. She was sitting in a way to show off those lovely, crossed legs, and both Cindy and I took appreciative notice. Alas, I had business to discuss.

"So I gather you've heard about Lenora Holmes." I said, observing and deducing that as fact.

"Yes." said Headmaster John Meadows.

"Who told you, if I may ask?" I asked.

"We got a call from the mother of one of our students." said Claire.

"Which one?" I persisted.

"I'm not sure..." said Claire, as if to dismiss the question.

"Let's answer the Commander's questions truthfully, dear." said John Meadows. "It was Karl Vilseck's mother. Then the Nextdoor County Police called. A Lieutenant Price asked us a few questions about Rob Dortmund and about Lenora."

"I'm sorry for your loss of Ms. Holmes." I said. "What I need to ask is when was the last time you saw her?"

"Yesterday." said Claire. "School gets out when the public high schools let out, about 3:30 in the afternoon. The teachers usually stay until five or six p.m., depending on if there are any club meetings or sports events. I believe Lenora left around 5:00pm yesterday."

"That would be about right." said John Meadows.

"Would the gatekeeper have that information?" I asked.

"No," said Meadows, "because the teachers leave by an automated back gate. They have to use a passcode coming in, but it has an auto-sensor for those leaving."

"I see. Was Ms. Holmes married? Engaged? Dating someone?"

"She was dating, but no one seriously." said Claire. "Sometimes she and I would go out, and I would be her wingman... and cockblocker, if need be."

"I understand." I said. If Claire expected either Cindy or I to be shocked in any way at her language, she was disappointed as we showed nothing. "So, what did Ms. Holmes teach?" I asked.

"English to the middle school students, and Literature to the high school students." said Claire. "She also was one of the AP Test Prep teachers."

"How well did she know Rob Dortmund?" I asked. "And for that matter, Karl Vilseck?"

"They were in her class, and she was helping them with their preparations for the college exams." said Claire. "Both boys had good chances to get scholarships, and with the tests coming up soon, they were studying... hard... to do well."

"Did Rob study with Ms. Holmes yesterday?" I asked. "Did they leave together?"

"I would have no idea." said Claire.

"I don't know, either." said Headmaster John Meadows. "I didn't see either one leave."

After getting a few general answers about things like class schedule times, I thanked Headmaster Meadows and his lovely wife, and Cindy and I left.

"So, Green Crowbar," I said, once we were back on the streets of our Town, "what was your analysis of that interview?"

"First," Cindy said, "Claire was showing off those legs of hers. I don't know if she's advertising, if she was trying to distract us, or if it was just natural and unconscious on her part, but she was showing off."

"She and her husband are swingers." I said. "So it may have been some of all three of your suggestions."

"Don," Cindy said, "I've heard the rumors, too. In fact, this is off the record, but my father has told me that he knows for a fact that Claire Meadows teaches sex education... and not in the classroom, if you get my drift. All of the female teachers at Walnut Prep are extremely beautiful women, and until three years ago all of the students were males, most of them were very athletic and playing for County High in some sport or other, and some living in a campus dorm. Hot women teachers and hot young studs together like that? Mmm mmm mmm."

Cindy could sound very salacious when she wanted to, and I got the vibe that she liked the idea of teen studs and their teachers getting it on as much as I did.

"And especially in this Town and County." I said. "That's what I've heard, as well. So, the interview... what else?"

"They don't seem devastated by Lenora's death." said Cindy. "They knew about it, were dressed in black for it... yes, I saw how you deduced they already knew... and Claire admits going out with Lenora socially. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think they'd have shown more emotion."

"Very good observation." I said. "I saw that, too. You might make a good Detective yet, Ms. Ross."

"Stoppit." Cindy replied.

"It's a strict teaching environment there." I said. "They're always very formal with the students, at least publicly. It's almost as rigorous as a Catholic school. So I was not surprised, and I even brought some of that on by telling them we were there formally. And by the way, good catch. Yes, their attire told me volumes. What I also saw was a little bit of concern... not about their teacher and their student, but about what might become public. And there... we are back to what your father told you."

"Think that's a motive?" asked Cindy. "If it came out that Claire, Lenora, or the other teachers were fucking the students, that'd be a scandal that would blow this State off its bedrock."

"Yet they dumped the bodies together, to be found together?" I replied. "Hmmmm, I dunno about that." Cindy conceded that point.

Part 5 - Inquiries

I was in my office early Saturday morning, February 4th. I had acquired the photos of the young woman that had seduced the inebriated Greg Towson in that early 'red flag' case. She was lithe and looked Asian. I had wormed my way into the FBI's facial recognition program and run it overnight.

A result had popped up. Her name was Kim Li. She was a former University student. However, she'd dropped out almost immediately after that 'red flag' event. She had been busted for prostitution in one of T-Square' clubs, back in the days when Captain Harold Malone was making almost nightly raids on one strip joint or another.

She also came up under the name Miko Susan Lee in both Los Angeles, California and Las Vegas, Nevada. I uploaded another photo from the DMV and began running the recognition program again.

I fired off a few emails, then had to put this problem in its compartment as a knock on my door resounded through the quiet room. I had to go open the door, as it was locked, and I turned on the overhead lights as I opened it. It was Martha the M.E.

"Sir," I have the autopsy results from that Black Velvet case yesterday."

"Sure." I said. "Have a seat." Martha planted herself in a hot chair after putting the folder on my desk.

"Why didn't you email me this?" I asked. "I appreciate you coming over, but you didn't have to."

"After I explain things," said Martha, "you'll understand why I did come over, sir. As you can see in the report, Rob Dortmund was stabbed in the back of the neck, and it looks like it was done by a large scalpel. Lenora Holmes died when her throat was sliced by the same scalpel."

"Okay." I said.

"I also did a quick and dirty pre-analysis of the semen in Lenora's vagina." said Martha. "Nothing that would stand up in Court yet, and the State Crime Lab is beginning those tests now. But what I did find is the semen of two different men was in Ms. Holmes's vagina, and one of them is likely Rob Dortmund's."

"Two men?" I asked.

"Likely, but it could possibly be more." said Martha. "The tests will come back with all that.

"I guess it'll take some analysis to determine the different DNA profiles?" I asked, mostly out of curiosity.

"Yes sir." said Martha. "But because we have Rob Dortmund's body, we can run a cheek swab from him, then the super-computer can use that profile to differentiate between the profiles in the semen samples."

"Cool beans." I said. "Were there any signs of a struggle? Of a fight?"

"Further tests confirmed that Ms. Holmes was raped." said Martha. "She also has bruising on her legs, arms, and around her neck, and there is skin material under her fingernails. Mr. Dortmund had no injuries that would show he was the rapist; no scratches or bruises or marks."

"Ergo, the second man was the rapist." I said. "So, what else?"

"Sir..." Martha said, then plunged into it: "Even though Rob Dortmund is eighteen years old, I am required to inform Child Protective Services of the fact he was having a sexual relationship with his teacher, Lenora Holmes."

"Ah, so that's why you came over instead of emailing this." I said. Martha nodded.

"And you're hoping I'll be able to err on the side of discretion, is that right?" I said. Martha nodded again.

"Well, you're in luck." I said, handing her a printed piece of paper. "There is an exception: if Rob Dortmund and Lenora Holmes were kidnapped and forced to have sexual intercourse, which is what I believe happened that night, then you don't have to immediately report this while we are investigating it. And that is what the letter I just handed you instructs you to do: to withhold the information while the investigation is proceeding in its early stages."

"Thank you, sir." said Martha. "I would hate to destroy the reputation of that very good prep school if it is not necessary to do so."

"And you're right to be cautious." I said. "But I fear that with the rabidly hostile, salacious Media in this Town, we might be unable to prevent rumors from spreading..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello, Mary." I said. "Sorry to bring you in on a Saturday."

"It's no problem, sir." said Mary Mahoney Milton, Mouseketeer Extraordinaire, and absolute guru of database research. "This way, Myron has to clean the house and I get to kick criminals' asses." I laughed out loud at that one.

"Good." I said. "Okay, here's what I need from you: the double murders yesterday in Nextdoor County featured the victims wrapped in a black velvet blanket and then transported to where they were found. I'd like you to research cases, especially recent but you can go back a ways, and all over the State, and see if you can find any other cases featuring black velvet."

"Including masks or clothing?" Mary asked.

"Sure, but mostly blankets, bodies wrapped in velvet blankets and the like." I said. "Search police reports and such to the extent you can, as well."

"I'll get right on it." Mary said, getting up. "Anything else, sir?"

"No." I said. "I've got the rest. And I'm especially not asking for anything on Walnut Prep. I'm trying to avoid scandals, not create them, if possible."