Black Velvet Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay, Crowbar 1, definitely do not keep me in suspense, here." Cindy said once we were back in my office.

"Listen in on this." I said. I got out my Police cellphone and made a call. "Hi Jack." I said to FBI Special Agent in Charge Muscone. "We may have an issue here." I explained what Jeanine Burke had done.

"I'll notify our guys up there, and my boss." said Jack. "What else do you need us to do?"

"I'm about to go up there myself." I said. "Driving the route I hope Jeanine is taking. You might want to come up, too." After saying goodbye and disconnecting, I asked Cindy "Got your FBI Consultant ID?"

"Yes sir." said Cindy. "I'll go get the Black Beauty and come pick you up while you tell the Chief what we're about to do."

"Roger that." I said. As Cindy left, I made a phone call to the K-9 Corps, then went to tell the Chief what was going on.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Interesting car, Uncle Don." said Todd Burke, who was sitting in the backseat of the Black Beauty. Cindy was driving, and wearing all black as if she were 'Kato'. I had also changed to civilian clothes, with my trenchcoat and Tilley Hat to keep me somewhat warm from the cold.

Todd had arrived at Police Headquarters, and upon hearing what was going on, he'd insisted on coming with us. It was easier not to argue, since he had brought Teddy Franklin and Barry Oliver (an Auxiliary Police Officer) with him to Headquarters to help Teresa with the kids. So I let Todd come with us.

As we drove, I explained to Todd only that the FBI had been in the Lake Amengi-Nunagen area, and that I preferred to err on the side of caution after Jeanine's actions in bringing her children to Teresa. Todd didn't buy it for a minute, but he wisely kept his trap shut.

"Did you try to call my dad?" asked Todd as we sped along the highway, which was winding almost completely through pine forests at the moment.

"No, not yet." I said. "This may end up being nothing. But if it's something, Todd, your father may be involved, and we don't want to tip him off."

"Who's 'we'?" Todd asked.

"The FBI." I said. Todd just nodded, and I think he was starting to figure it out.

It was growing even more overcast as we neared Lake Amengi-Nunagen. I first saw the flash of a blue light up ahead. As we rounded the curve, we saw the police vehicles, one on each side of the road. Also there was a black sedan. On our side (going north) was a silver Lexus.

As we pulled over and got out of the green Chrysler Imperial Crown, with flashing blue light attached to the roof, the State Police officers looked at us weirdly. FBI Special Agent Martin Nash looked relieved to see us.

"Sir, over here." called out Nash. We went up to him. "These are FBI Consultants Troy and Ross." Nash said to the State Patrolmen.

"Looks like the Iron Crowbar to me." said one of them, seeing the red crowbar in my hand. "But I'm glad you're here, Commander Troy. We found this car abandoned after a 9-1-1 call was cut off."

It was Jeanine Burke's car. The baby carseats were still in the backseat. There was no purse in the car, and the car keys were not in the ignition.

"Sir," said Nash, "as you can see, there's damage to the back bumper, as if she were hit and maybe forced off the road."

"Yes, I see." I said. I was looking on the ground around the road and in ever-widening semi-circles until I found what I was looking for.

"Over here!" I called out from where the road's right-of-way was about to become pine forest. "There's some footprints, and superimposed on each other. Looks like someone was running... and being chased."

"I'm afraid our Patrol Car might've overrun any other tire tracks when we pulled in behind this car." said the State Patrolman. "Sorry about that."

"You didn't know." I replied. "You did what you're supposed to do." I was on my cellphone, which had reception, and was making a call. "Okay, no point in trying to follow these faint tracks. I've called for our local Police Force to bring in a dog, if you don't mind, Agent Nash."

"Not at all." said Nash. "I've also called my boss. We'll see who gets here first."

What I hadn't told anyone, including Cindy, is that I'd called for the K-9 vehicle, with Sergeant Grover and his handler, to follow us up. Sergeant Grover was our human scent dog.

Grover and his handler beat Jack Muscone to the site... by the distance of three feet, as Muscone's car was right behind the K-9 vehicle. Nash met Muscone as he got out of the car, briefing him.

And just then a gray Lexus came down from the other direction, from the north where Lake Amengi-Nunagen was. The car pulled over upon seeing us, and out popped Michael Burke.

"Dad!" called out Todd. "What are you doing here?"

"I got a call from Jeanine." said Michael. "She said she was being followed, then the call cut off. So I got on the road to look for her. That's her car! What's going on? Where is she?"

"We just got here, Dad." said Todd. "She brought---"

"Mister Burke!" I called out as I approached, to stop Todd from talking further. "We're bringing out the dog now. We think your wife may have been run off the road, and she ran into the woods. Mr. Burke, I need you to stay here. Todd, come with me." When Todd did not move, I turned back and said "Todd... NOW!" Todd got the hint, and came over.

As Sergeant Grover's handler got him ready, I whispered to Todd: "Do NOT tell your father that Jeanine brought the kids down. Don't tell him anything. Standard police procedures, okay?"

"Uh, if you say so, Uncle Don." said Todd.

"I do say so. Okay, Todd, stay here." I said. Turning to the dog, I said "Grover, are you ready to help us?" The handsome German Shepherd looked up at me with the excitement in his canine eyes of being ready to do some good police work.

I led them to the spot where there were footprints. Grover sniffed around, then headed on into the woods, with his handler, me, Cindy, Martin Nash, and one of the State Patrol officers following.

We wound around through the trees, following a path that appeared to be someone running and dodging, but being relentlessly pursued. Then we got to a near-cliff, with a rushing stream about fifty feet below. It was nearly as steep as the cliff behind The Cabin.

"Let Grover off the leash." I said. Once freed, Grover began working his way down the cliff, where I could see the leaves had been disturbed as people had slid down. I began making my way down, half sliding, then making it to the bottom. Grover was initially stymied by the stream, but I could see footprints on the other side and called him over to them. He picked up the trail, bounding ahead and out of sight as I followed, the others working their way down the hill behind me.

A moment later I heard two barks of a German Shepherd, a signal. As I arrived, I saw that there was a grassy clearing in the woods, one of several.

Grover had done as he was trained: when he came up upon the woman in a red dress lying on the ground, he sat down on his haunches and waited. I came up, seeing that it was Jeanine Burke. I looked around the area for footprints and clues, and trying not to mar the crime scene as I knelt down and checked for a pulse.

Cindy arrived next. I held out my hand in a 'stop' instruction, then our eyes locked as I just shook my head. We were too late.

Jeanine Burke was dead.

To be continued.