Blazing Glory Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sorry," Tyra apologized again, but this time aloud to no one. Tears ran down her cheeks at having to betray her friends like this. She chose not to reveal her plan as she knew they would reject it immediately. They would have stayed to fight, increasing the likelihood that they would have died with her.

Her tears dripped to the ground where she knelt, the stiffness in her body growing more significant with each passing moment. How she wished she could have seen her dream come true. To be there on the hillside overlooking the ocean and hometown of his that he so often described to her with fondness. Children's laughter would fill the air as they danced, tumbled, and ran about. His children. And she would be there watching over them as always, sharing in their joy. Perhaps one of them would be her child that she shared with him.

"No," she sobbed, nearly breaking down in grief. She would refused to spend her last moments pitying herself. Instead she would remain confident that they would get Kendra back. They would grieve her but still live on happily for her sake. All that remained now was to think of the good times they all shared together until the last moment.

"Lass," a voice brought her out of her thoughts. She hadn't noticed the shadow that appeared over her. Looking up, she saw Flynn panting heavily with sweat pouring down his face. The dwarf looked ready to drop dead from exhaustion from the exertion he just went through. She could see how concerned and fearful he was for her. "What is going on, lass? How can I help ye?"

Tyra almost laughed. Her dream was still within reach. She smiled fondly to the dwarf, whom she was glad to have befriended in their short time.

"Listen, to my last wish."

Flynn stared long into the stone face of the beautiful gargoyle, the stream of wet tears still upon her cheeks. Even if he wished them away for whatever reason, he would never be able to forget her last words for the rest of his life. At first he had been shocked to see the closeness of these women to the boy. He had thought the lad insisted on gathering his own personal harem. He had been foolishly wrong. He assumed on his rush to Tyra that they shared more than lusty acquaintanceship, but rather a friendship like he had experienced with others as he rushed here. He was wrong once again, after hearing her words. Their bond went deeper than that. The end of his battle axe rested now upon the ground, leaning heavily upon it as he bowed his head. He would not leave her side so long as he breathed. Not until they came back for her.

A low hum filled the empty quiet, deep with baritone richness. Its musical quality reverberated off the stone walls and ground beneath until the mountain itself seemed to willingly join in. Dwarven words deep with the power of the earth chanted long as he sang the grieving song of his people for the lost loved ones. Their farewell and prayers to meet again someday. Tears joined hers upon the ground once the solemn song was finished.

********************

Blaze breathed heavily as his legs continued to burn in protest at the furious pace. He did not complain as he knew they were one step closer to finding Kendra following this path of spiders. Soon they would find Kendra and all of them would go back home together. His thought of the peace they would all be able to enjoy once this was finally over.

Rae continued to lead him through the dark passages, using her own magic to light the way. They were deep under the Great Boaz Wall. Areas that no human had ever dared venture this far unless desiring certain death. She helped him avoid dangerous slips and traps that waited along the way. He was amazed he had survived the dangerous environment of this world that lead to him meeting the drowess in front of him. Her footsteps began to quicken before she snuffed out the magic light as faint orb lights began to appear along the tunnel walls. It wasn't long before a light appeared at the end.

"There it is. T'rissjra," Rae whispered in relief as they came out a tunnel entrance upon a bridge into a massive cavern. Not too far from them was a large city. It was similar enough in appearance that Blaze recognized the drow architecture from his memory Rae's city. A cold chill ran up his spine at what he saw though. At least half the city line in ruins. The black marks of fire and smoke had stained the stone walls and ceilings of the massive cavern containing T'rissjra. Despite their frail hopes, it was clear that this city had not escaped the war. Not even the Drow were safe from the evil goddess's desire for mayhem.

"Richard! Come here," came the sudden harsh order from the drowess in front of him. Startled out of his dumbstruck gawking, he looked to see Rae's cloaked form. Her shoulders were trembling. Alarmed at this sudden change in her, he moved to see what was wrong. Rae's hand was covering her mouth as tears flowed uncontrollably down her face. He understood that Rae was not angry but needed him instead.

Rae was being torn apart inside from the shock of seeing the city in ruins. She had been dismissive of the dwarf's reports that they had heard the dark elves were under siege as well. Koas would never be so foolish as to infuriate Lloth. Before her was proof of how she had been mistaken. Anger, wounded pride, and grief were just a few of the emotions tearing her apart inside. Perhaps it was the time she had spent with her companions that had changed her. The old Rae would have not have been so openly emotional about it, choosing to keep it bottled within. Yet when she felt Richard's comforting arms embraced her, she came completely undone.

Her anguished cry filled the air as she broke down in his arms, barely able to maintain her composure to enough to speak in Common, "How could she? That vithing bitch attacked my people! My sister! I am so afraid she's dead! If Koas killed her, I swear she'll pay! Usstan orn kertest wun ilta vlos!"

"We'll find her alive, Rae," Blaze whispered reassuringly. He was no stranger to this fact about Rae's sister. Their long journey together had allowed all of them to get to know each other. He had not only been surprised Rae had a sister, but how deeply they both cared for each other as siblings. Rumors about the dark elves were that they were just as ruthless with family as they were others. But then again, Rae's family was something of an oddity in the world of drow.

"I know," she whispered after minutes passed and finally regaining her composure. They had to hope Rizarra would still be alive. No one was better at collecting information and their best chance for any possible knowledge to finding Kendra in this area that Mero had apparently taken her. She looked up to Blaze and smiled lovingly to him. Death's Mistress kissed his lips softly in thanks before leaning over to his ear.

"Tell anyone about this and I will string you up by your intestines, patron," she whispered softly.

Blaze froze and began to sweat at that statement. Such assured promise of gruesome death spoken with a lover's whisper sent chills up his spine. Seeing his reaction, the drowess simply chuckled in dark amusement. He was about to ardently swear his silence on the matter when her chuckling stopped and her head rose in alarm. With a power that always surprised him from her shorter body, she shoved him aside into the dark shadows around the corner.

"What is it?" he whispered as he was pinned against the stone wall. She hissed at him to be silent as she looked back toward the entrance they had come out of. Agonizingly tense moments passed by without anything happening before he heard them in the silence. Footsteps. Nodding in understanding to Rae, she eased her grip on him to allow them both to draw their weapons. The footsteps grew louder, surprising him at not only how carelessly loud this person was being but also how casual the pace was.

They both watched in silence as the figure stepped out from the dark entrance into the dim light. He squinted to see who it was. When his vision made out who it was, his breath caught and panic shook him to the soul. He leaned down to Rae to whisper so softly that only her elven ears would hear the one thing that said it all.

"Lexiss."

Rae's red eyes widened in surprise as she observed the ashen woman in her long black dress. Memories of finding him with his stomach ripped out and vicious curse destroying his soul came flooding back. Her blood began to boil with hatred as it seems she found the perfect target to unleash her rage upon after seeing T'rissjra.

The drowess was ready to move in for the kill until she found Blaze was already in motion. Her lover threw a stone to the other side of the landing where it made a loud clatter. The shadow mistress was startled and looked toward the source. Blaze moved with swiftness away from Rae before she could grab him. She wondered if he had been a drow in the past life to move with such fluidity.

Blaze was terrified at what he was doing, fearing for his soul once again. But the one overriding fact that propelled him into action was this was the chance they needed. If Rizarra happened to be dead, they could not let this opportunity slip away. Seeing nothing there, Lexiss turned around only to find the tip of his sword pressed against her throat. She froze and looked to him with wide eyes.

"One wrong move and I take your head clean off," he stated coldly, "Now tell me where Kendra is."

Lexiss's initial shock was quickly gone before she vanished before his very eyes. Blaze looked down and cursed as he had realized too late that the lights had caused his shadow to reach her. He had given her the escape route she needed. Blaze quickly started to back away, looking at his surroundings before Lexiss sprang out of the shadows to his side.

"Damn it," he cursed as he turned about to intercept her attack. Her hand seized his wrist as she drove him back against the wall, pinning him with her body. Her black lips crushed his in a passionate kiss, her lusty moan audible in the close space between them. What the hell? Why was she throwing herself at him? Surprised by the kiss, he felt the haunting memory jar him out his confusion. He squirmed about frantically in her grasp before managing to shove her away, even though she did not offer much resistance to being separated.

"What are you doing?" he gasped, frantically reaching to his stomach to make sure his innards were still inside him. A dark shadow appeared behind Lexiss along with the hand holding the curved blade across her throat. Those red eyes behind her were filled with malice that made him throw himself forward. Rae's hand was beginning draw the blade across when his hand stopped it.

Lexiss looked to him with wide eyes in that brief moment, not having been aware of Rae. She had been mere seconds away from throat slit wide open. A small trickle of blood trailed down her neck as he pulled the blade away. There was no hostile intent in Lexiss from what he could tell. She could easily have killed him in that moment but she chose not to for some reason. Rae kept her blade out as she moved to his side. She remained vigilant should Lexiss try anything. Her free hand came up and smacked Blaze hard upside the head.

"Don't do anything so rash on your own like that again, patron," she hissed angrily. She still was having a hard time hiding the terror she felt when he had put too much distance between them. She would not have had enough time to save him. Rae thought she had lost her lover once again. Blaze rubbed his head before giving Rae an apologetic look. His desperation to find Kendra had caused him to act stupidly. Looking back to the quiet shadow mistress, he asked the one question the both of them were wondering.

"Why did you kiss me instead killing me?"

"Because," Lexiss whispered, her head lowered as she hugged her one arm with the other. Blaze was amazed at how timid she appeared in that moment. "You were the first to treat me as I am."

"Come again?" He was clearly confused.

"In the shadows back then, you made love to me," she looked up to him, her eyes watering. "No other person has touched my body with the will that I should feel wonderful too. Koas made us service others to gain their allegiance. They only used our bodies for their personal gratification. But you were different. I was shocked at how you not only intended to reach your climax but also wanted me to experience it in that moment as well. It was the first time I had been treated as a woman, not some disposable toy."

Rae hissed angrily as she pointed her finger right into Lexiss's face, causing Blaze to almost move to restrain her. "That excuses nothing! You not only tried to kill him, but destroy his very soul!"

"I know! I had no choice but to follow the orders of my goddess. Killing the only person to have treated me like an actual person tore me apart inside. But disobeying Koas will bring about a fate worse than death," Lexiss cried back at both of them before dropping to her knees. Rae was confounded as the woman sobbed uncontrollably before looking up at Blaze. What was it about him that could bring change in others, who should be his enemy, like herself and Lexiss?

"I am so sorry. Please forgive me!" Lexiss said as she wiped her eyes, "I do not know how you survived but you have to believe me in that I was overjoyed when I heard you were still alive."

"Even so, why should we trust you? For all we know you are simply scheming on the spot to save your hide," Rae spat suspiciously, still unsure about putting any faith in this woman no matter how reformed she claimed to be.

"I know where the succubus is! She is here in T'rissjra," Lexiss answered in a pleading tone, clearly wanting to earn their trust by being sincere. Both Blaze and Rae looked to Lexiss in shock before they shared hope that this could be their chance. Blaze moved forward and helped Lexiss rise from the ground.

"Please, tell us where she is."

Lexiss blushed slightly before looking down, "Well, the thing is I do not know exactly where. Please understand! The mind flayers are not fully trusting of me or my mistress."

"The illithid are here in the city?" Rae nearly shouted in horror and disgust. She, along with the rest of her race, hated that underworld race with a passion. They looked down upon the drow as if they were the superior race. Yet she had to respect their abilities that made them so dangerous. This made her fear for Rizarra more than ever before.

"Yes. That is why I have to enter on foot instead of using the Shadow Realm. They can also sense if a deity is observing them from afar somehow. So Koas agreed to abstain from watching them to gain their allegiance. All we know is that she was brought here and has not left. It has frustrated my mistress to no end as she wants Merodach to inform her of the succubus's death."

"Which means," Rae brightened as they both came to understand, "That he hasn't yet." Blaze sighed in relief. While they had been determined to rescue her, lurking in the very back of their minds was the very real possibility that they would find her dead.

"How do we find her in the city if you do not know where she is?"

"Ulthar," Lexiss answered. "The one in charge. He has kept the Matron Mother of this city alive as his personal servant. I know Merodach has also negotiated with him for a place to reside in the city, out of Koas's eyesight. While Ulthar would never tell, the dark elf might as she is never allowed to leave his side and may know of the location."

"Rizarra! That vithing scum has been keeping my sister as a slave?" Rae hissed as she trembled. He would not even grant her sister the honor of death? Instead she was forced to live through the shame as a mind flayer's toy. How dare this filth disgrace the House of Nitara! Rae fixated Lexiss with a stare that made the shadow mistress take more than a few steps backwards. "Take us there right now!"

"Y-yes! Of course!" Lexiss turned about. The grey skinned beauty immediately set out and led them across the bridge over the black chasm. "I was on my way there to see how the evacuation was going since my last report. He will be expecting me." Blaze looked to T'rissjra. He had begun to wonder how safe it would be to enter a city that contained mind flayers. The closer they approached the damaged city, the more he observed how quiet it was. But unlike the dwarven city that appeared to have been abandoned for a few days, this drow city showed the signs of a very recent exodus. Fires still gave an orange glow in parts of the city.

"Lexiss," Rae spoke with a chilling coolness that gave Blaze goosebumps, "Guide us there and distract Ulthar while we slip in. We'll take care of the rest when the moment is right."

"Very well, but I will only help on the condition of recompense after Kendra is rescued," Lexiss responded, looking over shoulder at them. It was clear that she would help them no further if they did not comply.

"Why you damn little we-" Rae began furiously before Blaze cut her off.

"Agreed. So long this condition is reasonable."

Lexiss smiled to him before looking back ahead. Rae punched Blaze in the side while glaring at him. He was still being too rash in his decisions even if he believed he was not. She would keep a close eye on Lexiss. She would cut the woman to ribbons at any sign of betrayal.

"Blaze. I know you are capable enough a warrior to have been trained in the ability to keep a serene state of mind in combat," she glanced up to him, her expression calm but serious. When he nodded in affirmation, she continued. "We do not know the reach of Ulthar's telepathy in the city. Once we enter, we both must keep our mind clear of any thought until the kill is made."

He understood of her words before giving her a reassuring grin, which put any worries within her to rest. Rae hoped he would be able to maintain it as she suspected he was not as well practiced at this ability as she was. She often used the technique on difficult assassination missions. Any momentary thought could be a small distraction, but still become the difference between success and failure. Life and death.

"What about Lexiss? Won't he be able to read your thoughts?" Blaze asked.

Long, black locks swayed gently as she shook her head. "No, my mind is shielded by Koas. Her trust, or lack thereof, in Ulthar only goes so far. She does not wish any secrets revealed to any other ambitious mortal or deity. We should get moving as he is expecting me to give the final word of abandoning this city."

The large gates to the ruined city loomed overhead in the eerie darkness. Both warrior and assassin silenced thought from mind as they passed through after Lexiss. No emotion or thought entered their mind to alert Ulthar or any other possible mind flayer lying in wait. If they had not been as focused on keeping their minds a blank slate, they would likely have been frustrated at their slow pace through the streets. But the avenues were difficult to traverse as they were filled with rubble from the attack and pillaging.

Rae's kept her elven ears keen on their movements as she could hear faint voices speaking foul languages in the distance. Should it become obvious the woman in front of them was intentionally leading them into an ambush, she would strike. They did not have to avoid many of the army's remnants as the streets and buildings were largely quiet. There was a very low risk of being seen, but they remained close to the shadows instead of foolishly walking out in the open. Lexiss proved to be true to her word as she guided them carefully through the city, avoiding areas that contained those few remaining stragglers.

After the better part of an hour had passed in their stealthy journey, Lexiss came to a stop at the front entrance of a large manor. Rae saw the house symbol of Nitara upon the gates. They had finally arrived. Kendra was within their reach now so long as everything went according to plan in rescuing Rizarra first.

1...56789...11