Blazing Glory Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ShadwNinjaX
ShadwNinjaX
1,349 Followers

"Let us see if you can get past me first, shall we? Although, to be honest, I really doubt you will."

Danika's arrogant smirk faded from his bloodied visage as her yellow eyes flashed with anger. This insignificant little mortal dared to mock her? To challenge her alone was enough to anger the fire demon, but to throw the inevitable outcome of this battle back in her face with such confidence? The demon took one step forward and the floor cracked beneath the weight of the power. Very much like the site of this confrontation, her temper was the rising of a volcano ready to blow. Her next step shattered the ground like glass as she threw herself forward into the charge.

Tyra smiled inwardly at having seen Danika getting riled up. She readied herself as the demon charged but did not move from where she stood. The Enforcer was upon the guardian in moments as Danika's heavy right connected with Tyra's jaw. Her head swung to the side with the crushing blow as blood sprayed the ground. The connection of fist to jaw had brought instant pleasure to Danika that she found herself smiling once more. Hungry to bring serious pain, she ignored the fact that Tyra did not attempt to dodge the attack.

Danika had to admit she loved serving her goddess. The fire demon could unleash with all she had to brutally kill her victims in whatever fashion she desired. Yet her smile disappeared as quickly as it came as the gargoyle staggered and reeled from the blow, but that was all. It was not possible. The very same strength had caused heads to erupt in an explosion of skull fragments and brain matter. But not only was this gargoyle's head still attached to her shoulders, she was already recovered. Danika's forward momentum continued to carry her forward as she watched the ready fist slam into her midsection.

Facing burning with pain of a nearly broken jaw, Tyra's was still almost beside herself with satisfaction at the bewildered expression on Danika turning to shock as the air rushed out of her lungs. She could tell Danika was struggling to fathom how she could withstand and deal damage to her. Tyra could not gloat for long as the demon, true to form, recovered quickly to bring her own forceful fist into Tyra's exposed midsection. Blood erupted from Tyra's mouth as several organs took heavy damage and ribs snapped loudly. The pain was enough to make her vision blacken briefly as she dropped to one knee.

"Is that really all you got?" She wheezed in blood-frothed laughter.

Danika screamed with rage, finally losing it completely at the continued impudence of this mortal trash. She would show this bitch her place! She was no better than a bug under her heel to be crushed at her whim. She hungered to see blood and guts adorn the granite floor about them as she smashed her opponent into nothingness. Raising her leg up above her, the fire demon brought it down to squash this blue bug. Her foot came down only to meet the granite floor, shards of stone flying outwards from the impact.

"You missed, Enforcer!" A voice spoke above her. Danika looked up right as the clawed foot seized her face. Too late, she realized that her rage had allowed the gargoyle to read her attack enough to use her wings to lift her away from the would-be-fatal attack. Tyra came down upon the demoness with her great size. Pain once again shot through her back as she crashed into the stone floor.

Tyra smirked as she wiped the blood from her lips. It was no surprise that a fire demon could easily become hot-headed when flustered. The sharp claws of her foot dug into the granite as she pinned Danika there. She grimaced in pain when two powerful hands grabbed her leg in a crushing grip as Danika tried to free herself. Tyra would not let her do so without paying a heavy toll. She reared backward with a raised fist with a gargoyle howl that filled the cavern. Her large fist came crashing down into Danika's midriff. Pebbles and shards around them hopped off the cavern floor with the impact as the pained rush of air rushed out of the demoness. It was to be the first of many.

Danika's mind was sheer chaos as confusion, pain, and rage ran amok. This was not possible! No mortal should be able to cause her pain let alone manhandle her like this! Yet there she lay unable to draw enough strength to free herself as blow after thunderous blow blossomed a new explosion of agony. The humiliation of this abuse welled up within her as her demon pride was taking as much a beating as her physical body.

She could see the disgust filling the face of her beloved goddess. Koas was the Mistress of Mayhem. She loved all forms of chaos throughout the world. To a demon that embodied the destructive chaos of fire, this goddess was the only one of the deities that she respected. She had thrown herself fully into being the goddess's weapon of destruction in the world. Surely Koas would discard a damaged weapon that could not kill one lone gargoyle.

A low scream began in her throat before it rose into a blood curdling howl that echoed off the walls. That last thought of being of no more use to Koas filled her with a new sensation that she had never experienced before. Pure, unabated hatred.

Tyra almost dropped to one knee from pain as the hands gripping her leg tightened with such ferocity that the bones within were crushed. The excruciating agony made her nearly cry but she refused to let Danika see such weakness. However, her broken leg could no longer maintain the strong grip of her foot. Her foe seized upon this moment to lift into the air before slamming her down. The sickening meaty thud upon stone resonated with Tyra's pained gasp.

"You filthy, disgusting, vile, pathetic, little worm!" Danika spat each insult dripping with murderous intent as she rose to her feet. "I'll crush every part of your body for this insult! Beg all you want, but all I want from you now are screams!"

Tyra looked back. The hatred that was borderline insanity she saw looking down upon her would normally have had her consider a strategic retreat to safety. Yet she made no move as the fire demon raised her leg and kicked the helpless gargoyle with enough force to send her flying. As her battered body crashed through stalagmites to cause more broken bones and internal bleeding, she simply smiled through the pain.

It was all going according to plan. She was going to die.

********************

Flynn's breathe huffed as he set a quick pace with the drowess and human boy behind him. He was saddened by how quickly their party was dwindling in numbers. His confidence in this rescue mission for Kendra was coming under significant doubt. At first, he had been motivated by personal reasons to come along. He wanted to verify whether his people could safely return to their homes and begin the repairs. When he had witnessed the determination and care this unique gathering of individuals had for Kendra, he had felt ashamed of himself. He wanted to help them succeed in saving their friend.

The dwarf looked down one tunnel he knew would lead to another battle site where they had fought in their retreat. Down at the end would be an open cavern where he had seen many dear friends die. His eyes watered, but not from the stench of death that wafted through that opening as they went down another path.

They had passed over a few bridges that allowed him to overlook the first dwarven city from a safe distance. No a breath stirred within its quiet stone structures. While the structures looked to be in rough shape from the pillaging, everything lay about as if the escape had been quick and panicked. It was apparent the would-be conquering goblins had fled as soon as they heard the defeat of Koas's army.

Yet as they wove through the tunnels he knew by heart, that same heart weighed heavy in his chest as he thought of the female gargoyle they had left behind. He had a strong respect for Tyra's kind. Even though they had wings, they were creatures of the earth. Dwarves saw that aspect as a form of kindred spirits for their two races. They also admired the steadfast dedication they held in their guarding that which they had sworn to. In the brief time he had known Tyra, he had come to like her for her quiet warmth and sureness. Try as they might to hide it, he saw the worried expressions that the two behind him when he glanced backwards every now and then. The dwarf came to a stop at a forking path with a deep huff before turning around.

"What is it?" Blaze asked. "Is something wrong?"

"No lad," He said gruffly as he fished around his pack. "I am going back for the lass is all."

"Don't be daft, dwarf!" Rae admonished him, shocked at his words. "We need you still. Remember I am not from this part of the underworld. I am not familiar with the way to my sister's city."

"Aye, lass. I know that bit of problem. That is why I have this," he said as he pulled out a geode filled with small crystals.

"What is that for?" Blaze asked curiously, wondering how the crystalline formation, while pretty, would be of any help to them.

"We dwarves give these geodes to our young lads and lasses to use should they get lost in the tunnels before they eventually learn them by heart. Dwarven magic is cast upon them to light up markers on the paths to lead you away from danger and to safety. Like so," Flynn placed his palm over the crystals and slowly chanted dwarven words. The crystals began to glow a soft white before fading briefly. He turned about and raised the geode towards the path on the right. The crystals within began to glow a soft gold.

Blaze and Rae looked on in surprise as a bearded dwarven face over a crossed hammer and pickaxe appeared over the entrance glowing in the same color. It faded along with the geode's glow as Flynn moved his arm left to the left entrance. A red glow lit their expressions as the symbol of a red spider appeared over that entrance.

"Obviously our warning that drow are in this direction," Flynn winked to Rae as he placed the geode in her hands. "I can already see your concern. Don't worry about it no longer working, lass. The geode will stay active for a few days once activated."

"Thank you, but you still can't go back there!" Blaze insisted. "I won't admit to the thought of Tyra losing, but I do not wish to see Danika hurt you either. We can't keep losing members like this!"

Blaze tried to continue his protests, but the dwarf silenced him with a raised hand. Flynn fixed him with a steady gaze before smiling a bit. "I know ye all care for each other, lad. Otherwise, we would not be out to help Kendra. I lost many friends in these corridors. I do not wish to let you lose another either. I will go to her. I have another geode. We will find our way to you as soon as we are able. Now go! I do not wish to waste any more time either."

The two looked at him uncertainly before sharing a concerned look before Blaze finally acquiesced. "Thank you, Flynn. Please hurry and come back safely."

Flynn grinned as he hefted his battle axe. Both parties split, the dwarf huffing and puffing as he ran back the way they had come. Bloody hell! If it was one thing dwarves did not like, it was to run long distances. Still, he set about a determined pace that would get him there without leaving him exhausted. Tunnels and chambers flew by as the dwarf moved through them without a second thought. He had long played as a child here and could run this underground labyrinth with his eyes closed. As fast as he moved, time still seemed to go by too long as his worry grew. Would he get there in time?

"About bloody time!" he growled as a reddish glow lighted the tunnel entrance in the distance. He could already hear the shouts and screams echoing from the volcano. Flynn swung his axe around to be ready as he burst out of the entrance into the blasted heat of the mountain. Eyes quickly looking about, the dwarf cursed as he saw them both. They had moved further away from where they had initially encountered Danika. They were so far away from him that he would have a long ways to go to reach her.

Flynn was about to call out to Tyra when his words froze upon his tongue. The gargoyle's body was covered in blood. What areas blood did not cover were blackened heavily with bruises. Tyra could barely stand as Danika beat her savagely with a never-ending series of blows.

"Dear Spirits," he prayed as his body was already moving before he told it to. The dwarf no longer complained as he sprinted with everything he had towards them as he roared. "Hang on, lass! I'm coming!"

********************

Tyra's breathe escaped her in a blood-frothed wheeze with each brutal impact from Danika. A faint shout in the distance could barely be heard above the painful blows she was receiving. Her mind must be starting to suffer damage as well. The body of a gargoyle was tough to endure the fiercest of battles, but the immortal strength of a demon was still proving to be too much. It was all she could muster in strength to stand there. The blue gargoyle could feel the stiffness beginning to spread throughout her body. It had begun. She had just enough willpower for her final act, if her plan went accordingly.

"Why won't you die?" Danika screamed, enraged at the gargoyle standing before her. The Enforcer reared back to put every ounce of demonic energy into this punch, determined to make her nothing more than a blood stain on the ground. Her enemy surprised her as she lashed out with speed she did not think the gargoyle still possessed. White hot pain exploded through her mind as she staggered backwards.

Tyra smirked with satisfaction as she felt her three sharp claws tear through flesh as her hand ripped across the demon's face. Hot blood erupted from three long gaping wounds. Danika staggered backwards, her long, agonized shriek echoing off the walls painfully. Tyra's strength left her as she dropped to one knee, panting heavily as the tightness continued to creep through her body.

"That is it!" Danika shrieked in absolute fury as her immortal flesh refused to heal. Somehow this gargoyle had managed to withstand all her blows, counter with painful attacks, and now she recognized this familiar tingling burn sensation along the wound. Just like the boy, these wounds would never heal over smoothly as they normally would. It would scar and disfigure her beauty for all eternity. Her mind was completely lost with rage.

Flames exploded all around the demon's body, causing Tyra to shrink back by instinctual reaction. The fire demon's long red hair whipped about wildly above her. Danika screamed long and loud as she was now in her true form, a spirit embodied completely in flames with her form. Permanent yellow scars remained across her face, even in her elemental form. But those eyes were white hot with blind fury.

A normal person would have been terrified beyond belief. Tyra simply smirked back in response to the fire demon's tantrum. Danika's no longer screamed as the only sound was the roar of the hot flames as she focused them upon the one who had disfigured her forever. A pillar of the fire erupted around the kneeling gargoyle with such ferocity that the granite ground on the periphery was glowing orange as it melted. She hungered for Tyra's screams as she burned to ashes in front of her.

Danika frowned as she heard no screams. Something unexpected occurred instead. The flames immediately began to diminish despite her command to continue the inferno. The shape of the gargoyle became visible gradually as the flames continued to diminish. It was almost as if they were being dispersed somehow.

"W-what is this?" Danika stammered, trying to back away but was frozen where she stood. Danika was brought back to her senses by the shock. "Curse you! Why can't I move? What blasted trick are you pulling? How are you not a pile of ashes?"

Tyra managed a small laugh at the confused look on Danika's face was worth all the pain. The flames around her merely felt warm thanks to her armor. But it was the golden necklace about her neck that had been her trump card all along. She remained kneeling there as she couldn't move her legs anymore. Looking up to the bewildered demon, she saw the horrified demon looking down at the flaming tether connecting them both. The licking flames flowed in steady stream to the necklace. She would take the time to explain it as they had all the time in the world now until it was finished. It could not be stopped.

"This lovely gift from Blaze is the key to your defeat, Danika. We were informing Queen Roselei of our rescue mission when her guards brought in her cousin, Tanna, along with two other elven boys. They were among several slaves rescued from the enemy encampment once the retreat was in full swing," Tyra explained calmly.

"Who cares about that! Get to the point and explain this!"

"Oh, of course I am," Tyra wheezed after taking a moment to gather her breath, "It was a joyful reunion and all that, but the surprise came later when Tanna approached me. Apparently she had taken an interest in Natori weapons when she was younger. After studying her hobby for about a century, she was well-versed enough to recognize the craftsmanship of this necklace as one of those weapons. According to her, the ones designed to be worn like this are made to absorb the entirety of an immortals essence once their powers are used upon the wearer."

"No," Danika whispered as her horror grew with each passing second. If she could have, she would have fled that instant. Her flame body was gradually becoming more transparent. "But why take the abuse? I know you purposefully took the brunt of my attacks!"

"Indeed. Tanna revealed this was one of their earlier works. It had a chance of failing to keep your power within it once absorbed. I could have used the sword you stole but risked letting it fall into the wrong hands once again should I have failed. That is why I came up with this plan," Tyra chuckled sadly as she looked down at her stone legs.

Danika's eyes followed to see those legs solid grey like a statue. She could only stare in shock as she did not understand or know this about these creatures. The fire demon's terror quickly escalated as Tyra looked back at her with those eyes. Not the eyes of those begging for their lives like she was used to reveling in. It was the look of one who had accepted their death. No. The look of one who took pleasure in their death because it secured their ultimate victory.

Tyra smiled grimly as she saw the realization in Danika's eyes. "We gargoyles have one final trump card to protect that which we guard. A special magical trait only we possess. The 'Frozen Embrace'. When we die, we turn to stone. Nothing new about that fact. Yet anything mortal caught in our grasp will turn to stone with us for eternity. It wouldn't work on an immortal like you though. Unless I caught you within this necklace and turned it to stone with me."

"You bitch!" Danika shrieked in panic as she struggled to move with everything she had. Still, she could not break free. "Curse you to the Abyss! I hate you! I hate you!"

"Yes," Tyra smirked even more as the demon completely lost it. "Blaze's gift was a fortunate spirit of the moment purchase. I was at a loss of how to confront you until Tanna's revelation. Thanks to both of them, you will never lay a finger on Blaze or another person ever again."

With those last words, Danika dissipated from view. Even her death scream sounded distant as the last flames trickled to the necklace and disappeared. The necklace vibrated slightly against her skin as she felt the warmth of the entrapped fire within.

She would have laughed in delight at succeeding in protecting the one she loved. But this victory came with a very steep price. I am so sorry Blaze, she thought. She was no longer jealous of the love he and Kendra shared. In fact, she was thrilled for them. She knew Blaze and her would still be close no matter what. As a result of this acceptance, she had resolved herself to guarding him along with their family.

ShadwNinjaX
ShadwNinjaX
1,349 Followers
1...45678...11