Blazing Glory Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What seemed like ages passed by as she kneeled there trembling, her mind slowly becoming aware of the noise around her quieting. Opening her eyes, she looked up to the sky to see fractured lines fading. No chilling moans and screams of the damned to be heard. Raining hellfire fizzled out into nothing. Her breath finally escaped in one last gasp of relief before she tearfully laughed for a moment. She had done what she thought impossible, because of him.

Her gaze turned to the body laying just a few feet from her. Body aching in soreness from the damage done, she managed to scoot over toward his body. Trembling hands pulled Blaze's body up into her lap as she cradled him. Fresh tears fell from her eyes to wet his still face as her hand gently caressed his cheek.

"I'm sorry, Blaze," She whispered. "I couldn't save you, but thanks to you... I stopped myself from doing what I was destined to do from birth. You saved the world through saving me..."

Kendra silently gazed down at his face, somehow wishing he could hear her. She wanted him to know that he had become the hero he had set out to be. She doubted she could have stopped her rampage if not her love for him. She held him long moments before she could feel their gazes. Her breath stopped with fear. Kendra realized the consequences of saving the world from her powers had sealed her doom. They could not find her with her presence running wild throughout the realms. But by drawing that power back in, they were able to follow it back to the source.

"No," she whispered fearfully as she looked up. Kendra sat in the middle of a ring surrounded by hundreds of gods. All of them looked at her solemnly, knowing what she was. What they had to do. She saw Stavros standing at the forefront of the pantheon about her, his eyes filled with shock and sorrow. Had he not guessed who she was initially? Or was it seeing final the fate of Blaze? Either way, she was finished. Even with her powers as Ragnarok, she doubted she could survive a concentrated attack from all of the gods that existed.

"I don't want to destroy your world," Kendra Tansanee said before breaking down completely, choking sobs seizing her as she clutched Blaze to her and buried her face into his chest. "I just want him back!"

All of the gods exchanged uncomfortable, if not, bewildered glances at the sight of Ragnarok grieving for the human when moments before she was bringing the world to an end. Stavros looked on with a heavy heart filled with regret. This was his fault. He had heard the prophecy regarding Blaze and set into motion what he had thought would be the boy saving the realm. He was too short-sighted by believing it was stopping Koas. All along Blaze's role had been to stop Kendra, whom even Stavros had not suspected to be the demonic destroyer they feared. Stavros had sent the boy to an early grave for his folly.

"What are we waiting for?" a female god said, long black hair swaying as she stepped forward. Dragons adorned her armor on her each of her shoulders, legs, and the crown upon her head to total five in all. Her golden serpentine eyes narrowed as she raised her hand in preparation to strike. "Let us finish this while she has no will to resist."

"Wait, Takhisis," Stavros said firmly as he raised a hand before other gods joined in her sentiment. "Did you not hear her words? She has no desire to fulfill her destiny. I see no need in destroying one who no longer threatens us."

Takhisis hissed in displeasure at his protest as the dark goddess pointed a finger at him. "You are and always have been a sentimental fool, Stavros! Why should we listen to you? She could easily change her mind tomorrow and destroy us all."

The gods around him murmured and nodded in agreement with the dragon goddess. Stavros realized he was quickly losing ground on persuading them. He believed in Kendra because she had truly stopped herself. The death of Blaze had clearly driven her into a rage. The answer as to what had caused it was answered as soon as the question formed in his mind. Anubis pushed his way through the crowd to toss a bloody and beaten Koas before them in her nakedness. Stavros could not help but pity Koas. The terrible wounds crisscrossing her back were not healing as an immortal's should. It would likely leave several scars behind. A troubled restless stirred the crowd as they saw the results of Ragnarok's fury that they could suffer as well.

"See her," Takhisis pointed down at the naked goddess, "This demon is a threat to all of us!"

"Oh be silent, you ugly lizard," Lolth hissed in exasperation, giving Takhisis a withering glare. "Both you and I hold no love for the chaos whore. In fact, I find myself indebted to this woman for beating Koas into a bloody mess. That tramp's army killed many of my drow this side of the Sonel!"

Takhisis's chest rumbled like a dragon in growing anger at the Spider Queen's words. Before things got out of hands, as it always seemed to when too many egos like this gathered in one place, Stavros decided to speak.

"I am partly to blame for this," he spoke up, drawing their attention. "I asked Blaze to intervene with his friends to stop this senseless war on my behalf. Kendra clearly reacted as she did only because Koas must have killed this man she loved. But I cannot fathom why Koas would risk her godhood by breaking the Natori pact."

"I likely have the answer to that," Anubus spoke up. The jackal headed god stepped forward, raising his hand. The dirt at his feet stirred as an undead skeleton burst from the ground where it was summoned. Within its skeletal arms were two blades. "I found these out there while retrieving Koas. It speaks for itself of what they are."

The blades clattered to the ground as the gods backed away slightly as if the skeleton had dropped deadly vipers in their midst. All of them could see the faint glow of immortal power left in them from having drunk in Koas's godly power. Stavros looked on in surprise, having been unaware Blaze's blades were Natori weapons. They had been in his presence before with the young man. Since their wielder had not born any malice toward him they must have remained inactive. They were secretive weapons dangerous to the gods by being unable to detect them until it was too late.

"There you have it," Takhisis shrugged, her dragon's gaze looking hungrily at Kendra. The goddess was eager for blood. "Koas was justified in her actions to defend herself. Now to more important matters at hand, let us rid this bothersome demon from our presence."

"Why don't we resolve this without bloodshed by granting her wish," Eilistraee spoke as she stepped forward to stand next to Stavros. He looked to his longtime friend thankfully, who smiled in return. The other gods looked to the Dark Maiden in surprise by what she was suggesting. "I say let us give him back to her if that is all she wants in her existence." Kendra's sobbing stopped with those words as she looked up with hope to the drow goddess. Was it even possible? Eilistraee simply smiled softly to her in response.

"No, we cannot bring the human back from the dead," Anubis said, shaking his head firmly. "It would upset the natural order of life in this world for the mortals."

"Besides," Hades spoke up, also showing his disapproval, "What if word of our intervention of his death became common knowledge. The rest of the mortals would be clamoring to us to bring their loved ones back to life as well."

Stavros was one normally abstaining from anger, but in this moment it erupted in a sudden fury as his voice boomed. "Damned be the natural order or other excuses you have! Including the rest of the world, this boy saved all of us gods by forfeiting his life! Without him, Kendra would have destroyed us all. Yet here you prattle on about natural order to keep him dead while we continue on eternally. He deserves another chance at life. One in which Ragnarok would never destroy the world he exists in." Several of the gods had backed away defensively as he realized his giant fist was raised as his chest heaved. He felt the delicate hand upon his shoulder to calm him.

"Especially if the boy continued to possess the Natori weapons as a safeguard against any further apocalyptic transgressions," Eilistraee finished. The crowd of gods murmured between themselves, seeming to take these suggestions worthy of consideration.

Anubis still shook his head along with the other death gods as Hades sighed, "You pose a potentially acceptable condition. But even if we agreed, there is one major obstacle in our way. We govern the worlds of the dead, not the specific path to them. In order for this human to come back, we would need to acquiescence of it as well."

"Who?" Stavros asked, not fully understanding.

"The thing that is everywhere lying in wait to fulfill its purpose," Anubis answered as he looked around at the ground, mist gathering around them. "Even now it is listening and anticipates our actions. Please come out and hear our request, Death."

In the small circular clearing of the gathering, the robbed figure rose out of the mist. The gods displayed as much discomfort in Death's presence as they did the Natori weapons. Stavros had never been in Death's presence as his purpose was not involved in such aspects of reality. It gave him chills to see the legendary entity for the first time. The death gods looked to be the only ones unperturbed by his presence. The skeletal figure leaned upon its scythe, regarding them with its expressionless face.

"My answer is no," his voice echoed through their minds.

"What? Why not?" Eilistraee asked in dismay. Those unsettling hollow eyes filled with sickly yellow light regarded the Dark Maiden before looking at all the others.

"You gods flaunt your disregard for the natural order you talk about by merely existing," Death spoke, clear disdain in his tone. "I have existed since life began because all life eventually must come to an end. Yet you immortals defy that rule of the world with never-ending life. Now you immortals have the nerve to ask me to defy my very purpose? Thus, my refusal."

It was Stavros's turn to put a hand on Eilistraee's shoulder as the drow goddess was visibly flustered by this. He knew what she was feeling as his heart was sinking too. Both of them were desperately trying to figure a way to bring Blaze back and spare Kendra's life at the same time. Yet Death had the final word in this decision and it had been given. What option was left to them?

"Out of my way you bloody bastards," a harsh feminine voice barked out behind the crowd of gods. "Move damn you lest I cut you into ribbons!"

Even though the threats sounded genuine, they were harmless to the gods. Nonetheless, many an amused or considerate god moved slightly to allow the smaller figures through. Eilistraee gasped in surprise as well as joy when she saw Rae push through the threshold into the center along with her sister Rizarra.

"Where are they? I know they must be here if you gods are here too! Where is Bl-" Rae's voice trailed off when her red eyes found Kendra crying over the stilled body of her Patron. Death's Mistress blinked as she shook her head slightly, unable to believe what she was seeing before she fell to her knees. Kendra looked up to Rae, having heard her voice. A wave of new grief as well as guilt overwhelmed the succubus.

"Rae... I'm sorry... I tried... I tried to save him... But she killed him... right in front of me, " Kendra's voice cracked between choking sobs as she reached out to her friend pleadingly. "Rae... please..."

The drowess could barely choke back her own grief as her body felt numb. He was gone. Through all the trials they had fought through together, he had survived. Never had she thought Richard would fall when all was said and done. She would gladly have given her life to prevent such from happening. She had been denied the chance. The drowess crawled over to her suffering friend and wrapped her arms about the succubus. Kendra buried her face into Rae's chest as those arms seemed to break the dam as she howled in uncontrollably grief. Rae bit her lip fiercely as the tears stung her eyes. Death's Mistress could not withstand the onslaught of emotions, despite the shame of revealing weakness before others. Pride be damned! Tears flooded obsidian cheeks as she threw her head back in a kneeing wail of grief.

The pantheon surrounding her fell eerily silent with that cry. All present were shocked to witness a drow shed tears for another. To see such from one of the most ruthless races in existence was simply unheard of. Lolth looked on in shock before observing the other gods. Her cheeks burned with embarrassment quickly turned to anger.

"What is this?" She hissed angrily as she stepped forward, hand raised to strike Rae. "Drow do no cry or show weakness!" A movement in the corner of her vision stopped Lolth as Eilistraee quickly moved behind Rae, her comforting hand resting protectively on the drow's shoulder.

"Out of my way, child," the Spider Queen warned her daughter.

"Try me," Eilistraee hissed venomously in response, her gaze murderous. The animosity between the drow goddesses grew hotly in the air. Many of those present were familiar with the bad blood between the two. Before things escalated further, one voice broke the tension.

"Why do you grieve for him, drow?" Death asked simply.

Rae blinked as she heard the familiar voice. She glanced over to see the robed figure, not having seen him after focusing on Blaze first. What was he doing here? In spite of her confusion, she understood his refusal to address her by name. Their agreement must continue to be kept in the dark, even from the gods.

"Because... I love him," Rae answered, wiping away her tears and ignoring the hiss of Lolth's growing indignation. "I know he and Kendra share a love much deeper than I could hope to experience, but that doesn't change how I feel. I know he cares about me too as well as the others."

"A drow who loves a human, whom loves her in return," Death spoke aloud in consideration of such a rare occurrence. Yet Rae knew the specter should have known her feelings all along, right? She looked to the figure as it raised a skeletal hand to his face, shaking his head with a heavy sigh. The cowled specter regarded the fallen man held in the arms of both women looking to him with pleading eyes. "For one soul to have brought such change to the world is a feat I have not seen in ages. Saving the world from certain annihilation and earning the praises of friends, enemies, and gods alike. Perhaps such is worthy of another chance at life."

Death looked back to the gods, pointing a stern finger at Stavros. "Just this once, I will allow it. Never again ask me of this!"

Rae gasped, relief flooding through her body as fresh sobs escaped both women as they held each other tightly. Death turned to her as his body faded, giving her a nod. Had he known he would take this action from the beginning? He baited her confession of love out in the open to make it seem as if only she had convinced him to do this? This way the gods were further convinced asking him again was a fruitless endeavor. Cunning old ghost, she thought. The drowess closed her eyes and gave him a tearful smile in thanks as he faded.

"Here, let me help," Eilistraee said, quickly kneeling beside the women with her hands placed upon his body. "This damage is beyond mortal healing."

Kendra and Rae gave her the space she needed as they anxiously watched the muscle and sinew regenerating. After a few moments, the massive whole through his torso was no more. All watched as the Dark Maiden gently tapped his chest, a small jolt of lightning magic shocking his body to convulse briefly. Rae grabbed his wrist and waited patiently to sense it.

"His heart's beating," Rae nearly laughed in relief, feeling the throb of his body's return to life. She hugged his arm against her chest, his hand against her cheek as she watched Kendra lean over his body. Eilistraee leaned back, observing the succubus knowing what to do next.

"Come back to me," Kendra whispered before kissing his lips, her breath flooding into his body. She repeated this action with tenderness a few more times before his body shook. The young warrior coughed briefly as his lungs finally seized upon that breath of life to begin functioning on their own.

The visions of light and a green paradise were sucked away into darkness from Blaze. Eyes cracking open, he saw Rae and Kendra looking down at him. Why were their faces stained with tears? What had happened? He glanced around to see Eilistraee kneeling next to them. Beyond her was Stavros and many other large beings. Gods?

"Um.. What is going on-AAAHH!" He cried out, arms flaying about wildly as he was crushing fiercely by hugs from each side from Rae and Kendra. Both women laughed and cried in celebration to have him back. Blaze's muffled cries of protest as he struggled to breath and not be suffocated by the pairs of large breasts surrounding his head.

"Now, ladies... Give him some breath lest we lose him a second time," Eilistraee chided them as a few other gods laughed at the women's horrified reactions before they pulled away quickly. Stavros couldn't help but sigh in relief before he looked to the other gods.

"We leave the matter of Ragnarok in this man's hands. We have her word that she only wants to live in peace with him and not fulfill her purpose. And in turn, he will safeguard the world against her should she break that promise with these Natori blades. Am I clear?" Stavros said, his question for all but more directed at Kendra.

She looked to him with her gaze before nodding. "It should never come to that. But if ever I was to become Ragnarok again, I would rather die by his hands than destroy this world with him and my friends in it. I will make sure to have him swear to this as I know he is a man of his word."

"We entrust both of you with that. But should he fail, despite his word, know that we will act in his stead and not hesitate again," Stavros said. All of the gods nodded. The crowd dispersed as gods went their separate ways. Many of which were satisfied as they went. Others such as Takhisis left grudgingly, her distrustful gaze never leaving Kendra as she went. Lolth's scathing glared bore through Rae, but the Spider Queen did nothing while the Dark Maiden hovered protectively over her. Spitting in disgust, Lolth left without another word.

"Seriously, what is going on? Wait. Didn't I die?" Blaze asked as he lay there, bewildered to the point of frustration at what was going on.

"I'll explain later, Richard," Kendra chuckled, fondly running her hand through his hair. "For now, let us go home."

********************

The sun shone brightly on another beautiful day in Kyros. The village still existed despite the terrifying sight the residents had witnessed as the waterspouts began to roar ashore. Yet they dissipated along with the ferocious storms just as quickly as they had appeared. Reports came from all over the world of the unusual event of the skies raining fire. The fire eventually evaporated into nothingness, leaving a charred mess behind. Even tale of the Sonel Sea trying to swallow the world in its wrath seemed beyond belief, but the waters had subsided before any ships had been lost.

Three months had passed since then, stories of that day and the war told over mugs of ale in every tavern. Many souls appreciated the good fortune that they had escaped two disastrous events and peaceful times were returning. Out of these tales there were always wild exaggerations of monstrous beasts and unfathomably massive armies colliding. While many disbelieve those details, all contained one consistent element. A human warrior accompanied by beautiful, yet powerful women had stopped it all on a grand adventure. A man by the name of Blaze, from the coastal village of Kyros.