Blood & Magic Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You just leave that to me." Melissa said as she unbuckled her seat belt. She opened the door and stepped out of the car. "Once we move forward, do not talk to or look at me as it will break my ability to remain hidden.

"Okaaay." Kirstin said, slowly getting out while thinking about Melissa's instruction. Was that how she was able to spot the vampire? A noise giving away her location? Perhaps she could do the same once they were inside and surrounded by police officers. A vampire couldn't be strong enough to take on an entire unit.

"If you even think about doing that Kirstin, I'll strip and tie you down in front of the whole department." Melissa whispered, the voice resonating throughout Kirstin's mind like it had before.

"I wasn't.." Kirstin began to say but then remembered not even her thoughts were safe. "Fine let's just get this over with."

By the time they got to the entrance, Alan was already waiting there, holding the door open. "What took you so long? And what is she doing here?" he asked when he gestured to Sakeena.

Kirstin hesitated, she didn't want to lie to her partner but also didn't' want to disclose that she had been fucking Sakeena. "I uh had to find Dr. Fakhouri, given Helena's lack of memory I wanted her here to assess Helena's mental state."

Folding his arms, Alan shook his head. "You know Dr. Bastien is here and she's going to want to assess that for herself."

Kirstin bit the inside of her cheek. Dr. Lauren Bastien was the department forensic psychologist who did things by the book. Often dressed in a white lab coat with black thick rimmed glasses sitting on her face and extensive vocabulary, other officers dubbed her "the nerd" a label that she didn't seem to mind. There was no way Lauren would stand back and let Sakeena's do her job.

Just think about Doctor Bastiens' office and I'll take care of her. Proceed as normal. .

Kirstin froze, Melissa's voice like a finger running against her spine. She blinked, thinking about the exact location of Lauren's office, on the second floor near the staircase. Her hands clenched before she swallowed and asked, "Where is Helena now?"

Alan turned back to the department. "Right now she's in an interrogation room. We just searched her. Well...not we, but Hillier."

Kirstin's almost made Sakeena jump when she raised her voice, "Hillier strip searched her? Why the fuck did that happen?"

"She was the only female in the department at the time. She's been making jokes about the underwear Helena wore since then. I guess she'd rather the guys make fun of someone else instead of her."

Kirstin shook her head, her pulse rising. "Has Helena asked for a lawyer?"

"No, she's been too busy crying and saying she didn't do anything."

Throwing her hands in the air Kirstin said. "All right let's go. Dr. Fakhouri can come with us and consult with Dr. Bastien."

Alan nodded and led them inside. The entire room was dark, lit only by the lamps on each desk, as if the department was reaching their closing hours. A pair of officers left together to go to their squad cars while an officer at the desk looked up from her paper work.

"Good evening Detectives." she said with a soft spoken voice.

"I'm here to speak with Helena DeLaforge. I'm told she's already in interrogation?"

"Yes that's correct detective, she's in room one." The officer said, pointing to the back where the other rooms were. "Dr. Bastien said she wanted to speak with you first shall I call her?"

No

Kirstin made a slow blink, resisting the urge to look for Melissa. Instead, she answered, "Not yet. I'd like to discuss some things with Alan first. Thank you Officer." she saw the other officer look at Sakeena to which Kirstin looked back, "She's with me, it's okay."

As the three of them moved towards the interrogation room, Kirstin saw Hillier standing outside, dressed black slacks under a leather jacket and blue shirt. She smirked at Kirstin as she pushed herself off from the wall. "Evening Delaney. Have fun with your new suspect." she said as she walked by. "In case you get bored, My Little Pony is a fun subject for her."

Kirstin raised her eyebrow, "What does that mean?"

"Let's just say little miss college kid likes to wear kiddie panties with cartoons on them."

"You sound like you're also a fan." Sakeena said as she folded her arms.

The dig wiped the smile off of Jessica's face, lips tightened as she stared Sakeena down. "Who the fuck is she?"

Smiling, Sakeena stuck her hand out, "Dr. Sakeena Fakhouri. It's nice to meet you miss..."

"This is detective Hillier." Kirstin said, "You might have seen her in the news recently."

Instantly, Jessica's face turned pink as she shot Kirstin a wide eyed look. "Have fun. She's not going to tell you shit anyway because she's too busy sobbing like a baby." before Kirstin could answer, Jessica stormed off, her hands balled in fists.

Looking to Sakeena, Kirstin flashed her a smile and then continued walking toward the room. Unbeknownst to them, Melissa wandered away from them to ascend the staircase to Dr. Bastien's office. The psychologists' office was marked by the large placard against the wall next to her door. She sat in a small room with a desk containing a flat screen. Behind her contained a large shelf of case files.

Despite working a full day of work, Lauren looked as radiant as ever, her light skin looking smooth as it shined under the florescent bulbs. Her long brown hair was tied back in a ponytail, with the front bangs hanging over her face. A dark purple business shirt hugged her slim figure, tucked under a black pencil skirt.

While she waited for Kirstin to call her down, she thought about the suspect and what the officers around the department had said. Apparently Helena wore purple panties with the words "Twilight Sparkle" on them. The image of a ruthless killer in something so infantile made Lauren giggle. She couldn't wait to analyze the meaning behind that. She lazily leaned on her arm, finishing up her report while thinking fondly of Helena's choice of panties.

"This generation.." she muttered with a soft French accent, "must be nice to be into fantasy instead of growing up."

You should be careful of judging others

"What? Who said that?" she asked as she turned around, scanning the entire room and not finding anyone. She turned back to her desk only to feel her seat spin as she was rotated in her chair. Gasping, Lauren rose to her feet, opening her mouth to call help before she felt something hard strike her in the back of the head. The last thing she saw was the image of the ground flying towards her face as she fell, the sound of a whisper echoing

Don't worry, you'll get these back.

With her target out, Melissa quickly knelt to the ground and began to undress Lauren, staring at her features from her long slender legs that were covered in black stockings, to her average sized chest that expanded and collapsed with every breath she took. It was as if Melissa was an artist, identifying every detail before copying it onto a canvas.

Downstairs in the interrogation room, Kirstin sat down across the table from Helena who was wearing an orange uniform. Her head was pointed at the ground and she hugged her body, hands trying not to shake.

"Helena, do you remember me? I'm Detective Delaney."

She looked up and nodded, seeming to relax once she recognized someone who was friendly to her. "I didn't do anything."

Sighing, Kirstin closed her eyes and leaned forward to speak softly. "Then how do you explain the shirt that was found in your dorm?"

"I DON'T KNOW!" Helena shouted, pounding the table in frustration as her voice cracked. It almost startled Kirstin but then the door behind her opened, cutting the tension before it could rise.

"I'm sorry for being late Detective, I thought I might stop by and ask Helena few questions." Lauren Bastien said, smiling down at Kirstin and then looking to Helena.

Kirstin froze, staring at Lauren and looking to the one sided mirror on the wall, as if wanting Sakeena to offer her a suggestion.

It's me, just proceed as normal.

Kirstin squinted her eyes as she focused on "Lauren," looking into her hazel colored eyes and questioning her own senses. Sweat built up under Kirstin's clothes as she wondered if the real Lauren was still alive.

"Who is she?" Helena asked.

Turning back to Helena, Kirstin said, "Um..this is Dr. Bastien Helena, the psychologist for the department. She's also going to ask you some questions is that okay?"

"you think I'm crazy now?" Helena asked, her face twisting in a mix of pain and helplessness as she fought tears back.

"Lauren" shook her head and smiled, "Not at all Helena. I just want to make sure you are doing okay before i start. Just relax if you can. Breath" Lauren straightened her posture and demonstrated by breathing in from her diaphragm for three seconds and then exhaling once more.

Helena sat up, mimicking the same movement, taking a longer time to inhale and enjoy the sensation of weight being taken off her chest.

"Good Helena, now close your eyes and just try to relax by focusing on your breathing."

With a nod, Helena obeyed, resting her hands on the table for stability as she inhaled and exhaled. It was hard to relax when she was accused of murder, but the direction helped slow her mind, providing a nice distraction from what consequences she might face.

Kirstin kept her gauze on "Lauren" the entire time, watching as she stared at Helena without blinking. Knowing what she knew about the inhuman creature, Kirstin was reminded of a crocodile remaining perfectly still as it watched its prey. She knew they were being watched by Alan and wanted to say something to cut the awkwardness of the silence.

Helena took five more breaths before "Lauren" Looked down at Kirstin.

Rest assured, Helena's mind has been tampered with. If she had memory issues I would have found it by now...someone has tampered with her mind. Ask what you wish, but there's no way she's getting out of this. Don't bother trying to save her.

"Very good Helena, now are you taking any medication?" "Lauren" asked, causing Helena's eyes to open. Kirstin stared at "Lauren," dumbfounded at the fate she had sentenced Helena to.

"No,"

"Do you drink and if so how often?"

"Maybe once on a weekend."

"Do you often have periods of time where you forget what happened?"

Helena's face was getting red again. "No I swear, it was just that one time. I didn't kill him! I've checked my closet dozens of times after that night and didn't see that shirt in there!"

Kirstin took that as her cue to step in. There was nothing she could do to prove Helena's innocence but she could at least try to make it seem skeptical that she was guilty. "Your roommate was the one who found it, so unless she also peaked in your closet, it's her word against yours."

"How do you know she didn't put it in there?" Helena asked. Her hands were shaking again.

"Did she know Matthew Varnes at all?"

Helena shook her head, "Not that I know of."

"Have you had any conflict with anyone since enrolling into U of M?" "Lauren" asked.

Helena looked up at Lauren, the double team successful in keeping her from feeling too relaxed. "No..not that I recall. I don't know many people here who would have a problem with me."

Kirstin bit her lip, "You got to help me Helena. I know you insist you didn't do it but I need something to go off of if I'm going to find the actual person who did this."

The sound of Helena's fist banging on the table startled Kirstin. "I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!" she screamed, bursting into tears as she buried her head in her arms.

Knowing the poor student wasn't going to answer anymore questions, Kirstin shot a glance to "Lauren" who stared back..

I need to see that shirt. Wrap this up.

"Helena..." "Lauren said as she leaned close to the desk. "If you didn't do it, there are other ways of finding out. A lie detector test perhaps?"

Helena lifted her head, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Wh-what would that do"?

"It's a machine we hook you up to to test your body's reaction to questions. Generally speaking, if you are telling the truth, then you have no reason to react with anxiety." Kirstin said, seeing this as Helena's only way of surviving this ordeal. "We could do that Helena if you wished. As Dr. Bastien said, if you are innocent, then there'd be less of a chance you'd fail."

"And then I could be proven innocent?" Helena asked, her eyes looking up to Kirstin as if she were her last hope.

"It could certainly be used to help your case. Which reminds me, you should really consider getting a lawyer. If you can't afford one, we can provide you with one. Can I assume this means that you will want to undergo a lie detector test?"

The fact that Helena had relaxed gave Kirstin more of the impression that she was innocent, even without Melissa's telepathy. "Okay, I'll do it."

"Very well. I'll set that up. In the mean time, try to remember anything else if you can." Kirstin said, rising from her seat. She held the door open for "Lauren" and then waited for her to leave before exiting herself. Alan and Sakeena were already outside waiting for them.

"You think it'll work?" Alan asked.

"Maybe. She seems to legitimately forget the whole thing, so she might ace the test. But she's not like some cold-hearted person who needs the tough cop, good cop routine. Scaring her won't work so this will have to be the other alternative." Kirstin said, doing what she could to keep up the story that Helena might be guilty.

"What were your impressions, doctor?" Sakeena asked, drawing out the last word as she eyed "Lauren."

"It's hard to tell." she said with as shrug, "We could be dealing with someone who dissociates completely from reality or she just might be a really good actor. The best bet might be to wait and sweat it out of her while we check other leads."

"That reminds me." Kirstin said as she turned to Alan. "Any word on Matthew Varnes' coworkers?"

Alan scratched the back of his head. "I didn't get the chance to. We got the call from Helena's roommate about the shirt and so I spent my time booking her since no one could get in touch with you."

A hand touched Kirstin's face as she shielded her embarrassment, there was no way she was going to admit the reason she was gone was because she was spying on a vampire, only to be caught with her pants down in public. "Can you try getting in touch with them now? I need to discuss some things with Dr. Fakhouri and Bastien."

Alan eyed the two psychologists, clearly not happy with being dismissed like this but he also knew it would be less productive to argue in that moment. Instead he headed for the elevators to his office. Once he was gone, Kirstin asked, "Would you like to examine the shirt. Doctor?"

"Certainly. Lead the way detective." she gave a brief smile to Kirstin, a smile that wasn't the real Lauren's, This smile was arrogant, unashamed in demonstrating how much control she had.

Before she could let her emotions get the best of her, Kirstin turned and led them across the room. The evidence room was guarded by one electronically locked door and then another caged one on the other side. Standing at a desk was an officer in a blue uniform logging in the latest object that echoed the memory of a crime. Kirstin closed her fist and knocked on the door to get the officer's attention, he leaned forward to pull the door open.

"Evening detective. Coming in to look at the shirt that was found?" he asked, leaning his head to stare at Sakeena who stood behind Kirstin.

"That's correct, I shouldn't be too long."

"Well she's going to need to stay back. You know there aren't any citizens allowed."

"She?" Kirstin repeated, wondering why it wasn't 'They'.

"Yes, the woman standing behind you is that okay?"

He can't see me, just act casual.

"Very well, lead the way officer." Kirstin said, trying not to turn around a second time to check for "Lauren." She followed the guard down one aisle of metal shelves and then watched as he made a sharp right turn to reach for a plastic bag on the middle shelf.

"Here it is. Matthew Varnes' shirt. You need gloves?"

"I got it officer, thank you." Kirstin said as she grabbed it from him, holding it in her hand as she waited for him to leave. Even after she heard the door close, she squeezed tighter around the plastic that contained the article of clothing, like a gift she didn't want to open.

The shirt was a white, not a typical business casual garment. The collar was large, designed to look stylish with the button left open. It was the right collar that was covered in dark crimson, traveling down the shoulder and the front like a stream.

Open it.

By now, Kirstin was used to the voice, and knowing that the owner could read her mind. This meant Kirstin didn't need to say out loud how problematic it would be to tamper with evidence. From the corner of her eye, Kirstin saw the lab coat sleeve of "Lauren" reach out and slide under the opening of the bag. With her index finger, she touched the collar and held her finger there.

Turning around, Kirstin almost screamed when she saw "Lauren's" face, eyes white as they rolled in the back of her head. Her mouth was partially open, almost as if she was about to go into a seizure. Another second passed before her pupils returned and the rest of her body relaxed. Retracting her hand, she nodded to Kirstin.

Put it back, let's get out of here.

Kirstin hesitated, she wanted to know now why the urgency and why a vampire who could hide in plain sight, read minds and camouflage themselves into looking like someone else sounded scared.

"Now Kirstin." a voice with a french accent said.

Closing the bag, Kirstin placed it back on the shelf and headed for the door, not bothering to thank the officer for letting her in. Sakeena must have seen the look of urgency on Kirstin's face as the first thing she asked was, "What's wrong?"

"I'll tell you outside let's go." she whispered. the door was only several hundred feet away and she could grill Melissa on everything she knew.

They didn't get further than the stairs when they heard a voice, "Detective Delaney!" It was the similar French accent that commanded Kirstin to leave, only this one was louder, a weak tremble in its cadence.

Looking up, Kirstin saw a familiar woman with brown hair and thick rimmed glasses approaching. She wore black pumps and a long white lab coat that she held together with both hands, clutching it together for dear life. Kirstin's could feel sweat in her palms as she saw the real Dr. Lauren Bastien descend the stairs.

"Dr...Bastien..what is it?" Kirstin asked, trying to continue walking.

"I...did you speak to Helena?" she asked, looking around at the other officers working at their desks. Her face turned from pink to red as she spoke in a softer tone, as if she didn't want to be heard. "I wanted to talk to her as well but I was...something happened..."

"Are you all right madam? You're blushing." Sakeena asked in a gentle tone.

Lauren's eye's widened and her fingers gripped tighter around her coat, Kirstin could see her legs buckling against each other. "I'm fine. who are you?"

"This is Dr. Sakeena Fakhouri, you remember, I introduced her to you."

"I didn't met any such person." Lauren said, "I've been in my office the whole time"

Kirstin looked to Sakeena for help in convincing the real Lauren Bastien that she was somewhere else. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw an officer holding a cup of coffee in his hand. He didn't slow down as he passed Sakeena but he did turn to look at the three of them, noting the distress in Lauren's voice.

It was this distraction that seemed to cause him to lose track of his surroundings, causing him to trip forward. Almost as if in slow motion, Kirstin watched as he swung his arms out to maintain balance, forgetting about the scolding hot liquid in his hand. The mug tipped forward, spilling a long stream of coffee out that splashed onto the front of Lauren's lab coat.