Blood of the Clans Ch. 33

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sloan made it to the birlinn and helped Kyla aboard. The oars were locked and rowing, before they even settled. Making it to open waters, the sail was raised and shortly the oars were in and the boat wended its way back down the coast and then over to Lismore. Then ten mile journey was made in quiet contemplation by everyone. Kyla held to Sloan tightly, her worries for her parents safety, something that held her rapt.

Blain steered the bow for the inlet and pulled in tight to the shore. Quickly the men were over the side and hauled it up further. Sloan and Kyla led the men up the slope and into the fields. The first thing Sloan noticed was the trampled crops and stopped everyone.

"We did'ne step on the crops, but there's clearly a row trampled in. Someone has been here. Draw swords and be prepared fer attack, men. Kyla, wait here until I call ye. I don'ne want ye in harm's way, should there be trouble ahead." Sloan told her, as he held her in place with his hand on her shoulder.

Kyla looked into his eyes, tears forming in hers, as she feared the worst. Kyla stood at the edge of the field, as Sloan and his men made their way towards the cottage. A low, smoke was coming from the hearth chimney and that gave Sloan and the others a slight bit of hope. They cleared the fields and came to the front of the cottage.

The first thing they saw was Glendon's body lying face down on the ground. The blood staining the ground around him, told them he was dead. As they approached him, his organs were spilled from his body, the sound of flies thick around him. Sloan looked to the cottage and entered by himself. There on the table he had ate at the night before, was Wynda, naked and tied spreadeagled to the legs. Sloan stood transfixed at the sight, unable to tear his eyes away and knew he was damned to know this in every detail forever.

The men had obviously had their way with her and abused her in every orifice. The sight of their creamy, white seed mixed in abundance with the blood that poured from Wynda's body. Once they had finished, they cut away her breasts and her vagina was slit to her belly. Sloan knew the wounds would have been extremely painful, but not enough to kill her. They had left her to die in agony, the reason for her death a mystery to her.

Sloan left the sod-brick house and looked about for signs of Glendon's sons. He made his way to the stable and looked inside. A sigh of relief came, when he saw the building was empty. He went back out and Blain stopped him.

"What is it, Sloan?"

"The sons, Glen, Blair and Sinclair. They're no here. Take some men and scout the area fer them. Be on guard fer whoe'er done this, they could still be aboot." Sloan told him and then took a couple of men and carried Glendon's body inside.

They laid him on the matting he and Wynda had slept on for years for a bed and then cut the bonds holding Wynda to the table. They carried her over and laid her beside her husband and quickly tossed a blanket over them, covering the worst of their gore.

They went out side and followed Sloan back to where Kyla was waiting with two men. Kyla watched as they came closer and knew something was wrong the moment she saw Sloan's eyes and the tragedy they held. Sloan was inwardly happy he never had to say the words to her, for her to know. She came into his arms and cried sorrowfully, her worst fears coming to pass.

Sloan held her and motioned for the men to keep an eye out along the coast for an attack. He started to slowly walk her back to her home, but kept his eyes sharp for signs of anyone about them. Coming up to the cottage, Sloan felt the hesitation in Kyla's step and knew she was afraid of what was inside.

"Ye don't ha'e tae look, Kyla. I don't think ye should see them the way they are. My heart is heavy wi' yer loss, but we hav'ne foond yer brothers yet. They're either hiding somewhere, or whoever did this, has them. I'm hoping beyond all prayer that they're safe."

"Why, Sloan? Why did they kill them?" Kyla sobbed out, as she clutched his tunic.

"The birlinns that we foond belonged tae MacDougall and Douglas. It was Iain MacLean that was raiding my men earlier. It's my guess this is the work of Malcolm MacDougall. The same ones who slaughtered my people yesterday. They seen oor fire and came tae investigate, then foond their birlinns missing and came up here tae ask yer parents. I don'ne know what was said, but from what was done, they did'ne say anything aboot us. This was done oot of anger and fury." he told her forthrightly, not covering over his own deeds being the cause of their deaths.

"My brothers. We must find them, Sloan. Dear God, I pray they're alive." Kyla pled with him.

Sloan could see the desperation in her eyes and the need for her to have something of her family left to her.

Sloan turned at the sounds of men coming through the woods from the point, where they had built the pyre. Blain and the others were joined with the three brothers walking with them. Kyla saw them and ran from Sloan towards them. She flung herself at her older brother, Glen and wrapped herself tight to him. After a good moment of assuring herself he was real, she let go and hugged her two younger brothers and held their arms as they walked back. A smile broke through on Kyla's face, as she walked back to Sloan.

"Where did ye's go?" Sloan asked, as they approached.

"My Da, saw the men coming and told us tae run fer the pyre and hide there. Are my parents in the cottage?" Glen asked Sloan and saw the look of despair form in his eyes. He looked to Kyla and saw her face distort into grief and the tears spill abundantly.

"Glen, yer parents are dead. The men who came killed them. They're in the cottage, but I'll ask ye no tae look. They did tae them what they did tae my people. Fraser's, remember them as they were and do them prood tae think of them like that." Sloan told him, as he put a hand on Glen's shoulder. "There' s nothing that can be done fer them the noo, but we need tae get ye's tae safety. I know who did this and they'll no be happy till every Fraser is dead and they ha'e their birlinns back. Glen, I need ye tae go in and get anything ye need from inside. The best we can do right noo, is tae get ye and yer brothers and Kyla tae safety at Stalker." Sloan informed them of the trouble that was still present.

Glen looked to his siblings and saw the distress they were in and knew he had to be strong for them. He took a deep breath and entered inside, knowing the bodies of his parents lay there. At first, Glen only glanced at the bodies and looked about for anything they would need, but they were poor and had nothing of value. He stood looking at the blood around the table and only guessed at its origin. He turned and looked at the covered bodies and felt his spirit plummet into grief. As the tears flowed for his loss, he walked back out and looked at his kin. Kyla knew of one thing she wanted and hesitated, as she went to go in.

"What is it ye want, Kyla?" Sloan asked her.

"The necklace my mother is wearing. It's the only thing that I want, so I can remember her." she told him, with a pleading look in her eyes that he get it for her.

Sloan understood her objection to seeing her parents in the state they were in and entered. He pulled back the blanket enough that he could see the necklace. Tentatively he reached behind her neck and undid the small clasp, then took the small cross. He looked about as he stood and saw the pot on the fire. He regretted doing it the moment he looked inside. There, misshapen, but identifiable, were Wynda's breasts cooking in the water. He turned quickly and walked back out, going straight to Kyla. She took the necklace and held it tenderly in her fingers, looking at it with thoughts now part of a past.

"Tae the birlinn, noo. We ha'e tae get away from here, in case they return." Sloan said firmly, but softly, but wanting more to leave the horrors behind.

Too many were still fresh in his mind and these two were adding to the cross for him to bear for his actions. Deep in his own thoughts, he was regretting killing the Douglas boys and instigating the deaths of everyone. In one instance of thought to seek power, he had killed over a hundred of his kin, including his wife and unborn child. Now he had been the cause of the deaths of Kyla's parents. The burden of his responsibility grew, as he realized they were now in his charge and care.

The group made it back and climbed aboard the birlinn. They pushed it off the gravelled shore and soon, it floated freely. Oars were set and the sail raised, as they made their way north to Castle Stalker. As Sloan looked across the channel, he found himself feeling trapped. He looked to Dunollie fading in the distance, then up to Loch Leven in the north, where MacRae and his men were, then across Loch Linnhe and wondered where the MacLean's had settled and lay in wait. In his heart, he hoped with all belief in God, that no further ails would befall him and his men. He looked down at Kyla holding on to him, then back to her three brothers, sitting in sorrowed lethargy, the thoughts of their dead parents beginning to weigh heavier on them.

Stalker came into view and Sloan hailed the lookout. Men came out of the castle and pulled the boat tight to the shore. Everyone disembarked and made it up the steep steps and into the dark hall. Braedon was sitting talking to Foster as they came in, then stopped, as he saw the new arrivals.

"Sloan, who ha'e ye brought wi' ye?" he asked him

Laird Braedon, these are Kyla s brothers. Their parents were just murdered and I know in my heart it was the MacDougall's. We left the bodies in the cottage and came here fer their safety. I must talk tae, Laird Braedon, in private." Sloan said with a seriousness that demanded urgency.

"Come, Sloan." Braedon told him, as he led the way up the stone steps to his chambers. Sitting by the fireplace, Braedon looked at Sloan, giving him the position to talk openly.

"Laird Braedon, their parents were tortured before they were killed. They defiled their mother in horrid ways and left her tae die in agony. She was tied spreadeagled on the table and I could see that all of them had their way with her first. Their seed was still dripping from her, along wi' her blood. When they finished, they cut off her bosoms and tossed them in the pot tae cook. I'm sure I'm the only one who knows that. They slit her from her cunny, tae her navel and then just left her tae die. Their father had his belly sliced open and his guts pulled oot. I'm sure he was alive long enough tae also see his cock severed from him as well. The MacDougall's are a Godless lot and ha'e no mercy in their souls. Led by a man like James MacRae, they're a vile scourge on the face of Scotland." Sloan let the horror sink in before he continued.

He wanted Braedon to know what he was up against, that honour and valour among men was no longer the code for battle. Attacking innocent and defenceless people was how they conducted warfare and Braedon had to know it was at his doorstep.

"Braedon, yer in the worst position right noo fer siege. The MacRae's are at Ballachulish tae the north, the MacDougall's and Douglas' tae the south and the MacLean's must be close by."

"They're straight across Linnhe from us. My men spotted the birlinn coming across and sailing past yer men first." Braedon confirming Sloan's suspicions.

"Then ye know hoo bad a situation we're in. If we're tae make it tae Tioram, we're better sailing at night. They can spot us no matter which way we go aroond Lismore. We need tae be ready fer a surprise attack. Yer men know the area better than mine do, so we'll use mine, as well as some of yer's tae sail and fight wi' . Hoo far is Tioram from here?"

"It's a good day's sail. Making it through the Sound of Mull will take skill under the co'er of darkness, Sloan, can yer men sail at night?" Braedon asked without realizing the obvious. Sloan laughed, as he saw Braedon coming to the realization of how he acquired his birlinns.

"We'll do alright then." Braedon laughed in mild embarrassment.

"Aye, we will. My horses will be here fer yer men tae use, while we sail tae Tioram. I ask that ye keep Kyla and her brothers safe fer me, while we're gone. I was'ne expecting them in my life, but noo they are and they're my kin, so I ha'e tae do what I can fer what's left of us." Sloan emphasized for effect and saw that Braedon understood.

"Aye, Sloan, my people will see that they're safe. I thank ye fer the use of yer horses. My men can use them tae attack in larger numbers, if they come o'er land at us. Sloan, I can'ne thank ye enough fer coming tae me and warning me of the dangers. I knew things had happened at Donan, wi' the MacDonnell's, but I did'ne know that I was on the list fer takeo'er by them as well. After seeing fer myself t' day, I don'ne need any more proof. My men are oot noo, gathering every man and arming them."

"I ha'e pledged my fealty tae ye, Braedon. Ye know noo why I must seek revenge fer what's been done tae my clan. I can'ne do it wi' only my men and myself. If ye and the other clans are going tae be involved in this battle, then we need tae join wi' as many as we can and oot man them. I know enough of what they're planning, tae gi' us the best chance at defence and I know enough tricks, tae be of use in preparing fer it." Sloan told Braedon, assuring him with the look he gave him, that he was able to back his words.

"Good, Sloan, I want tae do whate'er I can tae stop this myself. Noo, let's eat and make ready tae sail fer sunset. We'll sail o'er tae Lismore and along the near coast. When we get closer tae Dunollie, we'll lower the sail and row, unless the sun is low enough that they can'ne see us from there. What do ye want tae do aboot Kyla's parents? I know ye can ne just leave them, so what are yer plans?"

"We can stop, if we wait till it's dark and I'll take a few men and gather the hay and wood and burn the cottage doon. We'll be back in the birlinn and gone, before they can see the flames at Dunollie. I can'ne think of anything better tae do wi' the time we ha'e. Battle does'ne gi'e a man time, or the means, tae always pay the respects that should be shown tae his family and clan. I know. So do ye, Braedon."

Sloan's words dove into Braedon's heart and swam with the sorted feelings that were there. He thought of the farewell tribute given by Arabella for his son and what Sloan had to do in the face of threat to himself and his men. He felt the selfishness of his thoughts and feelings and how he had to accept what he was given to send his son off and not what he wished for him.

"Yer words are true, Sloan. So is yer heart. Ye show a love of yer clan and a strength of them. Yer loss has'ne crushed yer spirit, like my son's loss did tae me. I've spent weeks wallowing in my misery and shame and no owned up tae facing them. I thank ye fer showing me the strength tae do it. Come, let us eat and make plans fer later." Braedon told Sloan in open confidence of his feelings.

"Aye, my friend. Let's fill oor stomachs wi' food, drink and good blessings between us." Sloan told him with a fair smile and held his hand out to Braedon, share clasped wrists with him and shared a bonding moment.

The hall was filled with the talk of the day's events and what it meant. Braedon saw Foster and Eamon fielding questions of what it all meant and called out to everyone, as he came into view on the stairs. He stopped with Sloan, so everyone could see them together and announced the need for defensive strategies put in place and men made ready for the possibility of attack. Foster knew already that he was in charge of the castle, while Braedon went to Tioram, but listened for any changes. Coll and Griffin looked at their father to see if they were included in any duties and when Braedon told them they would be at the helm of the birlinns that Sloan had brought, they wore an open look of enthusiasm on their faces. Loman knew he was staying with his father, but secretly wished he was going out on the water with them.

Kyla and her brothers looked to Sloan for direction on what was happening to them. He saw them wanting his attention and went to them. He stood before Kyla and took her hands and looked at the helplessness in her eyes. Sloan looked at her brothers and told them all the plans.

"Yer tae stay here, all of ye. Ye'll be safe and taken care of. I'll be sailing wi' some of my men and Laird Braedon's tae Tioram and the MacDonald's t'night. We ha'e tae warn them of the danger and get prepared fer battle. I don'ne know hoo long I'll be gone, but it won't be tae long. Glen, take care of yer sister and brothers. Do as Foster Stewart tells ye. They ha'e plans in place if there's an attack, so follow what yer told. Ye'll be kept safe from harm and ha'e I Laird Braedon's oath that ye are." Sloan could see the look of relief and a bit more at ease with their immediate future.

"Oor parents, Sloan, what's tae be done wi' them?" Glen asked him.

"When Laird Braedon and I sail fer Tioram, we'll stop and pay yer parents a service, like I did tae my clan. We won't ha'e much time, I'm sorry fer that, but ye can take heart that their souls will be going tae heaven. I can'ne do any more than that fer ye's, as much as I know they deserve better." Sloan's face showed clearly he regretted not being able to do more, but the reality had to be accepted.

They all reluctantly nodded and bowed their heads in remorseful thought, as they pondered the fate of their parents. Kyla stepped into Sloan and wrapped her arms around him. Sloan did the same to her and cradled her head to his shoulder, stroking her hair softly. He looked at the three boys and could see the look of desperation in their eyes. He realized they were now like him and had no where to call home, no where to be safe. His heart sank, knowing his thought for action had caused so much suffering.

"Come, eat wi' the Stewart's and accept their grace. When this is settled, we'll look tae build ye a new cottage and farm yer lands again. God has cast his hand across this land and wants it cleared of evil. He has a plan fer us all and we ha'e tae accept what it is. There'll be great battles and many will die, but there'll be a peace fer us once it's o'er."

"Sloan, I want tae join in the battle. I want tae kill the MacDougall's, fer what they done tae my parents." Glen told him with brave vengeance in his words.

"Can ye use a sword, Glen?" Sloan asked him, seeing the fierceness lurking in his heart, as his eyes cast out his vengeance from them.

"No, I've ne'er swung one before, but I can shoot an arra long and true. It does'ne matter hoo I kill them, Sloan, I just want them dead."

"Aye Glen, I know what yer heart feels. I feel it in my own blood as well. While I'm gone, I'll ha'e Blain show ye hoo tae shoot in battle. Come, let's join wi' the Stewart's and think of times ahead." Sloan told him, as he pulled Kyla to him.

Sloan held Kyla to him close, as they made their way to the table of food prepared. The atmosphere in the castle remained mirthful, but the dread of battle hung thick over everyone.

As the sun began to set, it cast golden-orange hues to the waters and anything its rays set upon. Sloan walked with Kyla outside and sat by the edge of the water, feeling the fading warmth on them. Kyla lay her head on Sloan's shoulder, as he put his arm around her. Sloan could feel his heart warming to her being with him, while the memory of Maglyn still held it in check.

"I ha'e tae leave soon, Kyla. Ye and ye brothers will be held in good stead here and that gi'es my heart a bit of peace tae know that." Sloan told her and placed a kiss on top of her head.

Kyla felt the show of affection and tilted her head up to him. Sloan looked into her dark, brown eyes and saw the look of love in them. His heart filled with it and brought his lips to hers for the first time. At the moment of contact, Kyla couldn't hold back and let her passion come through her lips to him. Sloan was taken aback by the intensity, but felt the pleasure consume him. With no other thoughts to stifle his own, he returned his feelings to her and felt her fill him inside.