Book 02: A Match Made Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's her! She attacked my girlfriend!"

I'm pulled to my feet. "Ma'am, you're coming with us."

"No please. This is a mistake. My lov... girlfriend didn't realize what she was witnessing, this woman is my patient."

"Ma'am you two work out what was seen or not. In the meantime, 911 was called, the woman on the phone was in obvious distress. We're going to take this young woman down to the station. If you want to help, you can bail her out in a few hours."

I want to scream, tell them I'm a prisoner. Nothing is working, they must have drugged me again. The hands under my arms were digging in as my weight is limp against them. I'm half walking, half being dragged as we leave. The ice and snow are knives against my skin. Voices are loud but indistinguishable. Finally warmth! I fall against what I assume is the back seat of squad car. More voices, radio static... I drift to sleep.

***

NO! It was a dream, I'm still in hell. The concrete floor is ice. I can't stop shaking. Pushing my heavy lids open, I see feet. Lots of feet. Some still, some moving. The heels of the shoes sound like thunder on the floor. I wrap my arms around my body, trying to keep warm, to stop the shaking.

"Hey there sleepyhead." Fingertips brush through my hair. The adrenaline surges and I scramble away, sitting up now with my back to the wall. Jail! I'm in jail, thank god! "It's okay. Now that you're awake, you can ask for your phone call." The voice is coming from an older lady, skin like leather. She's lived a hard life, it's written in every wrinkle on her face. Her voice is genuine though, caring. I force a grin. "That's it. Would you like me to call for an officer? So you can get your call?" I nod, I think. "Okay just sit tight and I'll get someone." She scurries away, happy she can help me. I try not to question why she's helping; I need it. I let my eyes fall shut again.

Moments later, as promised, an officer is standing in front of me. "Miss Thornton, please come with me." I look up at a stern face deputy with her hand out; I reach and let her help me to my feet.

"Thank you," is all I could manage; my voice feels like gravel. Led by my elbow, I concentrate on placing one foot in front of the other. I keep my eyes on the ground as we walk through the holding area to a row of chairs, each parked in front of a phone. She stops near one and motions for me to sit.

"Ma'am, do you know who you would like to call?" I nod. "You have five minutes, make them count."

I am by no means an expert on incarceration but everyone seems friendly, not like what you see on TV. The phone is one you don't see anymore, the old square base with a horseshoe handset. Attached by a chord!! I almost laugh, but that would take energy. Instead I lift the receiver and start to dial. Dammit, I hit two numbers at the same time. I push the plastic piece down to hang up so I can start over. This time I move slowly, focusing on each number, bringing my finger to it and pressing. It's ringing.

"Hello." I start to talk but instead a recording plays, asking if they would like to accept a call from the jail. I wait.

"Yes," she says half asleep.

"Barb? Thank god."

"Kara? What the hell is going on? Why are you in jail?"

"I can explain when you get here, please come get me." The words are difficult to form; they spill lazily with what sounds like a drawl.

"No! You'll explain now. I haven't heard from you in weeks. You were fired from your job and now I get a call in the middle of the night from jail? 'Come get me'?"

"Look, they don't exactly give you time to reminisce. Come get me, please Barb," I said, every ounce of my pleading seeping into my voice.

"Kara, it's time for some tough love here. I hope you get out soon, maybe then we can talk."

"No wait! I don't get another call; please don't leave me in here!" A click and she's gone. The tears start. For the first time since I arrived, I'm afraid. I jump at the touch on my shoulder.

"Ma'am, it's time to go back to your cell."

"She's not coming for me." My voice trails off in defeat.

"Uh huh. Let's go." I stand and led back the way I came. As the cell door slams behind me, my head flies up and I look at all of the other sad faces. My new 'friend' is sitting in the corner chatting with another lady. She looks up and gives me a warm smile as I head to the only free spot on a bench by the far wall. Pulling my knees to my chest, I lay my head down and cry.

** December 18th **

Lissy

Work and exercise were the order of the day Monday and Tuesday. No, Kara hadn't called back. I can't really tell you why but the fact that we had talked, even if the call hadn't lasted long, had gone a long way toward settling me.

The weather services were calling for a lot of snow; an amount undetermined. That's why I took the train to work and left the car at the train station. My best guess was that it would be easier to get home that way. Suburbs often did a better job with snow than the city.

Anyway, another detail I left out. I'd called Jenna Sunday afternoon and given her my flight details.

"Can you email me the flight numbers and times, Mom?" This after I'd read them to her.

"Sure, honey. How are things?"

"It's hectic and fun. I'm glad I'm working, though I sure miss Ella." I nodded. "It's nice having more money, Mom. We had to scrimp for so long. There's the mountain of debt from school that eats up way too much every month. But we both knew that goin' in. Anyway, how's everything? Anything new about Kara?"

So that brings you up to date on how things are with my oldest.

The day dragged on and the snow never stopped. Around 3pm the word went out that the city was on blizzard alert. Radio and television were advising that people who didn't have to drive shouldn't. The snow never stopped; if anything it was coming down harder. By 5pm I was torn. The thought occurred to me that I could find a cab or walk to Kara's condo and spend the night. I decided to go to Boston Blackie's, have dinner, wait out the snow, and make up my mind.

I was surprised that Rachel wasn't working. The pretty young blonde who waited on me knew her and told me she had gotten called off due to the snow. Good; one less thing to worry about. I wracked my brain about what Kara had ordered when we were here. It finally came to me.

"Jodi, I'll have the Ketel One Cosmo and Buffalo Wings with barbeque sauce and bleu cheese dressing." She smiled. Good, now go away, sweetie.

I brought my Stephanie Plum novel on the train this morning. I was very glad I had. It gave me something to do as I wrestled with my decision, though I wasn't sure there was much of a decision to make. The televisions were all tuned in to local news. It didn't look like I was going to get home tonight.

I smiled, thanked Jodi, and took a healthy sip of my Cosmo. Yup, it was just as good as I remembered.

"Are you ready to order?"

"Actually I am. The Buffalo chicken wrap leftovers should be okay in the fridge overnight."

That settled, I had a few of the wings, dipping them in what was a lovely dressing.

You may laugh. I wondered if any of the food in Kara's fridge would be any good. It had been so long since I'd been there, save for that crazy Saturday night, that I had zero idea of what was left. Point? Should I order a salad just in case?

Should I call and ask? I sighed. She hadn't answered my call. Keeping Barb's comment in mind, I decided not to.

Moving on, I settled up with Jodi, thanked her, and headed out into what was a driving, wind blown snow storm. Thank god for my hat, muffler, boots, mittens, and my decision to wear a long warm coat. I ducked my chin into the high collar and slowly made my way west.

I had given thought to taking the keys to the condo out of my purse. Thank god I hadn't. The front door and elevator gave me the shivers as I remembered that fateful Sunday. The slow ride, once a source of girly, giggly pleasure, found my eyes closed the whole way. I gave thanks for being alone. The key fit; I hesitated a moment before turning it.

The condo was dark and chilly. I had no way of knowing if Kara had been here. Her unit didn't face the street, so I had no worries about turning on the lights - after making sure the door was locked and the security bar was in place.

I took off my soaked coat and hat, grabbed a hangar from the hall closet, and hung them both over the shower door. I stopped, grabbed a pair of socks, sat on the bed, and took off my boots. The thin socks I'd worn this morning weren't nearly enough tonight.

I took a moment to let the familiar surroundings and sounds sink in.

"Where are you tonight, lover? Are you okay? Warm? Out of this miserable storm? Safe?" No reason not to say it out loud, right? I was the only one here... sadly.

I shook my head. I could only hope. I can't control what she's doing. I wouldn't want to. We may always have been peas in a pod, but there was a healthy acceptance that we were two separate people brought together because of love.

I giggled. I know - lust made it a photo finish. But you get the point.

There was some wine in the fridge and on the counter. I took the Redwood Creek Chardonnay out and poured a glass. I got comfy on the couch and must have dozed off. My phone rang. I looked - 12:30. I shook my head and headed to my purse. Barb? Now?

"Barb, hi, what's up?"

"Lissy, I got a call from Kara about 15 minutes ago. She's in police custody." My blood ran cold. "She didn't tell me why."

"Where is she?"

"I don't know."

"Didn't she tell you? Why didn't you go? What did she want you to do?" The silence lasted a minute, maybe more.

"She wanted me to come and bail her out."

Fury building inside I asked, "Why didn't you?"

"Carole... didn't want me going out in this weather." You goddamn lying bitch. Keep your temper, Lissy.

"Is there anything you do know about where she is, damn you?"

"Don't you judge me, you bitch. She's been staying here forever. It was hell on Carole and me."

This was going nowhere way too fast. I need to find out where she is.

"You're right, Barb, I'm sorry. Is there anything? She called you; what about your caller ID?"

"Hold on, let me check." I heard a click, silence, and another click. "There's a phone number." She gave it to me.

Enthusiasm renewed, I said, "Great! Okay, Barb; thanks so much for calling. I'll find out where the station is and figure out some way to get there."

I called the number Barb had given me and got an address.

Rage and concern dueled. I struggled into my boots, keeping the socks on my feet. The wet coat was heavy. It didn't matter. I had to go find her. And I had to find a cab in the middle of a snowstorm.

I have no idea how long I stood in the wind and snow. I walked east in the desolate streets, thinking if I got close to Halsted I might get lucky and find something. I jumped up and down like a crazy woman when I saw a cab with its 'hired' light off. The son of a bitch had his 'Off Duty' flag down and passed me by.

I shivered, swore, cursed, and shivered. Maybe 10 minutes later that felt like an eternity another cab crawled along and stopped as I jumped up and down in desperation in the middle of the street.

"You crazy, lady." I laughed and hurried into the warmth.

I gave him the address. We headed north.

I cried. I know; I can't help it. We can't help it I think. Happy, sad, whatever - we cry. We're women and we rock!

I had a thought and pushed it away.

No, Lissy, this is why you asked Shade for help. Now is exactly the time to call her. Never mind the weather. You don't know what's going on. Barb told you she waited to call. Get on top of this while you're in the cab.

I dialed.

"Hello? Lissy? What's wrong?"

It's impossibly stupid, but I cried again. Those two words sent me into hysterics.

I had to calm down enough to be cogent, so I took a deep breath.

"Shade, I'm in a cab on the way to a police station."

"Stop right there, Lissy. Give me the address." I did. "Okay. What's going on? Something with Kara?"

Tearfully, I explained what little I knew. I heard her talking in the background as I spoke.

"Lissy, when you get to the station, tell the desk sergeant you're there to bail her out. Call me back when you find out what's going on, please. And Lissy, thanks for calling. I can put things in motion on my end. The weather isn't our friend tonight, but that won't keep me from doing whatever needs to be done."

Have you ever had someone you'd called on in a crunch who answered the bell so calmly and coolly that you knew you'd be okay? That was me that miserable Wednesday night, grateful beyond all get-out for Shade.

The cab rolled up to the station. I gave the surprised driver a healthy tip on what wasn't that big of a fare.

The police station was... I have no idea. I thought it was quiet. I had no baseline to make that sort of snap judgment.

I asked the middle aged uniform, "Do you have a Kara Ann Thornton in custody?"

He looked through some papers and nodded.

"She's already been bailed out." What!!

"Who on earth..." I was lost, beyond flummoxed. "I'm here to bail her out. A friend of her... ours called and told me a little bit of what happened. I know for a fact this friend didn't come; she's why I'm here." I shook my head.

I knew I couldn't antagonize the man. He didn't know anything about what was going on. "Thank you, officer." His eyes narrowed. Shade; I need to call Shade. "I need to make a phone call. I'll be a moment."

I stepped away from the desk, took my phone from my purse, scrolled, and punched 'send.' The phone rang.

"Yes, Lissy, what's going on? I have people on the street as we speak."

"She's not here. She's been bailed out according to the man in the uniform... oh my god. That's the desk sergeant you told me about. Oh shit. Is that going to be a problem? I don't think he liked me calling him officer." She laughed.

"Lissy, you're very pretty. Make nice with him." The sergeant and I made eye contact. It wasn't looking good. "Ask if you can get the name of whoever bailed Kara out. That's huge in trying to figure out what's going on. And call me back when you get an answer." I shook my head.

"I'm not real hopeful, Shade, but I'll do the best I can." I shook my head, closed the phone and headed back to the desk.

"Sergeant, I apologize for earlier. I'm a little frazzled. Kara, Ms. Thornton, is my girlfriend, the love of my life." I never took my eyes off of the man when I said it. I saw his eyes narrow, his lips purse, and he nodded.

I took off my gloves, extended my hand, and said, "I'm Lissy Stone by the way. I came to the police station to bail her out. To find out she's already gone is something of a shock." The sergeant shook my hand. I smiled, crossed my fingers, and asked, "Is there any way you can tell me who it was? A name? Man or woman? Anything?"

He shook his head. "I'm afraid not." My heart sank. "Can't you call her? Find out where she is and who she's with?" I could feel my eyes want to leak. Shit! I don't want to cry in front of this man. I need help, not sympathy.

I took a deep breath and said, "We had a big fight late in August. We haven't seen each other since. There's only been one phone call - a short one last Friday." My chin buckled. "It was only by the slimmest coincidence and this damn blizzard that I was downtown. I got lucky and found a cab to get me here." I slumped. Good god, how am I going to get back to the condo? "Please excuse me for a moment, Sergeant..." I looked at the name tag on his shirt. "Wells. I have to make another call." I tried that smile again.

I went back to the bench, set my hat and gloves next to me, and called Shade again.

"Lissy, hi, what did you find out?"

I felt myself start to cry, got up, and walked away from the desk and that man. I didn't want him to see me like this.

Through sniffles, I said, "Nothing; he won't tell me anything. I have a feeling it's procedure. I have no idea what to do."

"Okay, let's think about this. We don't know where Bette lives yet. Which makes me wonder - was Kara there as well? Were you able to get any sort of description? "

Shit, shit, shit. I'm such a wreck over this whole thing I hadn't thought of it.

"No, Shade; I'm sorry. I'm a wreck and not thinking clearly."

After a short pause that lasted a lifetime, Shade said, her voice soft, "Lissy, I understand that you are. I need for you to pull yourself together. Kara needs you. She's as close as she's been since August. We need to find her and bring her home. You're with the sergeant who signed her out. Be calm, be pleasant, and be gently persistent."

Calm and persistent huh? I need to see blue eyes. I did; they winked at me. Yeah, it was in my mind, but I saw her. I really did. I smiled.

"Okay, Shade. What time is it anyway?" I looked around for a clock. There was one on the wall behind the desk. "I was lucky to find a cab downtown, Shade. I can't imagine how long I'm going to stand in this mess and pray one comes along. Walking north to Division is probably my best option." I'm so not looking forward to this.

"Lissy." I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, Shade, I'm whining. Let me go talk to this man and see if I can get him to help. I don't want to keep you and Destiny up too late with this nonsense. I won't be offended in the least if you need to get to bed."

"Lissy, stop it, please," she said sharply. It startled me. "Destiny and I are in her car on our way to the station. It's slow going but we should be there in less than 15 minutes. Just hang on, okay. Do the best you can with Sergeant... did you give me his name?" Ugh! I had to think for a second or two.

"Yeah, um... it's... Wells! That's it, Sergeant Wells." I turned around to see him staring at me. I gave him my biggest smile and a wave. He nodded.

My phone buzzed. What on earth? Jenna?

"Shade, let me call you back. My daughter is on the phone."

"Okay, Lissy."

"Jenna, what's up honey? Is everything okay?"

"Mom, hi, I know it's late, but I wanted to make sure you're okay. The news said Chicago is getting murdered by a super heavy snowstorm. Have you talked to Rach? Are you home?" I laughed to myself.

"Honey, I can't talk long. I decided to stay downtown because of the weather." Just tell her. "I'm at a police station trying to find Kara. I was talking to a friend of ours who's on her way to pick me up."

What I'm sure was a stunned silence followed. "Um, okay. There's a lot you're not telling me. I'm worried."

"No, honey, please don't be." Oh geez! "And please do NOT call JR or your sister. I don't want all of you worrying about me. I'm fine. I promise I'll call when I can and give you as much information as I know." I looked at the clock. Shade was likely to be here any minute. "Give Ella and Ian kisses from me, please. Oh, and see you soon!"

I had heard voices as the call was winding down. Trying to remain unassuming, I paced back and forth with the phone to my ear, inching a little closer each time. A younger man was talking to Sergeant Wells.

"... had bruises on her face and hands." A pause. "Did you get close enough to see her eyes?"

"No, not until she signed out. And then just for a few seconds. Why?"

"She looked like she was on something. She wasn't focusing well. The redhead had to repeat things a couple of times before she'd respond." Sergeant Wells nodded.

"Well, it's been a quiet night. I expect that patrol is mostly handling fender benders. The amount of snow we're getting, there shouldn't be much in the way of mischief. The knuckleheads will either stagger home from their favorite watering hole or stay home."