Brynn Phytrelia Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He looked at her for a long moment, a sympathetic gaze answering her words. "I...I don't believe that it is that simple. Yes, so far, we have been lucky enough to survive, but if we have to confront another vessel in ship to ship combat, there will be very little, if anything, I can do to protect you." He pursed his lips. "That's why I just thought you would rather end up somewhere away from all of this." He gestured, indicating the ship. "However, if you are not ready to get rid of me, we can make sure you have accommodations of some kind. My concern is that I don't want you to get to a place where you are wishing that the worst thing you had to deal with were-" He smiled and huffed. "Well, a couple of misogynists looking to exploit or molest you."

Brynn blushed. "Right. I understand. And while those problems seem small compared to what we've been through in the last day or so, it's not like I'd want to go back to that."

He nodded and touched her forehead near her wound. "I still think that we should get you checked out."

She blinked, her eyes squinted against the unwelcome intrusion. "I don't need to be checked, I just need sleep." She muttered.

He rolled his eyes. "If you are going to be a 'member of the crew,' then one thing you will have to become comfortable with is listening to me. Even if you don't agree with what I am proposing, you don't get to object unless you can come up with an alternate solution. And 'I banged my head, so I'll just splash my face with water and sleep on it' does not qualify as a 'solution.' Now, come with me so we can check you out. Worst case, you're bleeding into your brain and you're going to die in your sleep tonight. After everything that is happened, I could use the peace of mind knowing that your injuries are insignificant in nature despite being worse than my own."

Brynn begin to grin, a sly look in her eyes. "So I am a member of the crew?"

Idris tried to respond, "Well, I mean, if-"

"Well, I guess I will let you make sure it's nothing more than a scratch. But fair's fair, and you have to get checked too. You haven't yet."

He huffed at her. "No, I didn't-" He pursed his lips, realizing that he had already stepped in it and could not unstep in it. "I don't see a problem with that. If that is what it takes, then fine." He motioned for her to go first.

Once Idris had helped Brynn get taped up and had his own head examined, they sat in the cockpit talking.

"I don't understand. Why doesn't the Captain like you?" Brynn asked. "I mean, I'd just like to know what I'm in for."

"Well, it's...it's a bit complicated, I'm afraid..."

"I'm sure it is." Brynn said steadily. "Which is why a warning will be good."

"Right." He sighed and smiled. "Well, Captain Johansen doesn't like me because..."

Brynn motioned for him to hurry up and spit it out already.

He frowned, looking uneasy. "I killed her sister."

"I see." Brynn said, frowning. She mulled over what he said and what he didn't say for a moment. Somehow, it was doubtful he landed the killing blow himself, since he had no pride or malice when he spoke, only shame. "Well, one day, I might hear what happened." Brynn said. "I don't know...that today can be that day, because there are plenty of other things not being discussed today. When you feel you can tell me the whole story, then you should."

He nodded, still not looking at her. "There's...more." He stared at the ground, silent for a long moment.

"So, let me hear it." Brynn said, starting to grow impatient.

He stood and took a few steps away from her. "I'm being reactivated..."

"What does that mean?" She wrinkled her forehead, a little confused.

"Well, Admiral Durron is going to help me. He is making arrangements for Avenger to take us on and get us fixed." He pointed out the viewport. "And, whenever they get around to it, we'll dock with them and they'll make repairs. It's possible they may even retrofit Atalanta with the latest in military-grade propulsion systems, including antispace travel and inertial compensators, allowing me to increase my cruising speeds to levels I would never be able to touch with my current specs. And...I'll be commissioned as official captain of this vessel...under the authority of the Ulratian Defense Initiative."

"And what does that mean...for me?" Brynn's voice was clipped. "Is that why there's more?"

He turned back to her, his expression uncertain. "Well, while the repairs are taking place, we'll have to use the quarters on Avenger. For the whole time. And then after the repairs are done," he gestured, indicating Brynn, "you will be allowed to remain aboard or...leave. If you stay, I would have authority to keep you on as a paid hand, which, probably wouldn't be terrible." He sighed and shook his head, closing his eyes. "But that means I have to go back..."

"I'm not understanding." Brynn said. "So right now, explain this: why do they want you to go back, what would you be doing, and why is this a bad thing? Not that it's good." She said quickly. "It's bad, but why?"

He frowned. "I don't know why Admiral Durron agreed to just give me another commission, or what they are not telling me. For now, I would just continue to do cargo runs, but...for UDI, not for myself. And they'd provide me with a reasonable expense reimbursement." He sighed and took a few steps. "And, I wouldn't have to work for gangsters any more..."

"So...it sounds good, but something is still bad." Brynn was about ready to shake him. "But are they going to ask some price of you later?"

He fidgeted. "Well, no, not exactly."

Brynn rolled her eyes at him, and raised her voice a little. "So why is this bad news? Idris, just tell me what's wrong." Brynn regretted the impatient tone, but all the things he was saying were positive, while his tone and stance suggested that it would mean his...surrender, or some such.

He groaned. "Well, because...because now I'm going to be...an OFFICER. A...A white-collar. I won't be a...a free agent. I'll have...accountability." He made a sour face and then slumped into his chair, looking towards the ground.

Brynn gaped at him for a long moment. "You...you're concerned that they're going to make you responsible? Well, if that's so bad, can't you refuse it, if you don't like it?" She tilted her head, plainly not understanding the problem.

He shook his head. "No. I don't have the money to fix Atalanta by myself, let alone do any hardware upgrades. I'm stuck."

"Um...can't you be a contracted source?" Brynn asked. "Like, for a year or two, not for very long?"

He sighed. "No, not if I want the hardware they're promising. Or the living stipend..."

"Well..." Brynn paused. "It can't be that bad. You won't be alone. I'll be here."

He sighed and nodded. "If you want to be..."

"As long as you don't shove me out on the next passing comet, I'll be here." She spoke with certainty. "I've made up my mind. You keep trying to convince it's not going to be great, but I can't see how it won't be. I won't have to hide, I'll get to see the galaxy, and I'll get to, well..." She moved in her seat a bit, looking away from him.

"You'll be stuck with me. I'll be glad to have you."

He nodded, turning back to look out in front of them, watching as the ship slowly drifted closer to them. Brynn sat next to Idris, gazing out of the viewport. She had never seen anything like Avenger before. It was massive. Avenger's length seemed to extend for almost a thousand meters. The ship wasn't very wide, but it didn't need to be. It was still wider than Idris' ship was long, almost three times in fact. It had a flat feel to it, no outcroppings of any kind visible on the black, unreflective hull. She stared at it a long moment, trying to understand what it was that eluded her. It was like she had to struggle to get a good look at it.

Idris looked over at her. "They build the SI ships with an alloy that absorbs light, so when you look at it, it's like you are looking at a shadow, because the light your eyes use to see something doesn't reflect off the ship's hull." He smiled a little. "But don't worry...you get used to it, eventually..."

Avenger continued to drift across their field of vision and without warning, Atalanta lurched and began moving towards the vessel. Idris grunted angrily rolled his eyes. "Nice."

Brynn gave him a puzzled expression.

Idris nodded. "Well, usually it's custom for them to contact me before they lock us in a tractor, so that we know they're not hostile."

Brynn nodded, understanding now. She stood to get a better view of what they were flying over. She watched the landing deck as they floated over it. The deck was well lit, and it was busy. She saw the seemingly endless rows of parked vessels, not scattered, but in strict, straight lines. There were larger vessels as well, many of them seemingly fashioned in the image of Idris' ship.

She turned to Idris, a curious look on her face. Idris met her gaze, and nodded. "Yes. Atalanta is a UDI cargo hauler, but she has been modified with a military weapons suite because I don't have escorts to follow me everywhere I go."

The ship jolted as it set down on the deck. Idris stood and went to leave the cockpit.

Brynn turned, following him with her eyes. "Idris, where are you-"

"Just stay there," he called, "I'll be right back."

Brynn watched him leave, thinking about insisting that he take her, but decided against it. She supposed Idris had enough to worry about.

Idris walked down the landing ramp and met up with the deck officer. "Good evening. I'm sorry that the XO was too busy to meet me."

The man shrugged. "Major Wymond had other duties to attend to."

"Right." Idris scoffed. "Well, do you think you can handle this one? She's not standard."

"I know. Don't worry, Captain. As soon as I have my mechanics finish up their current repairs, you'll be next on the list."

Idris nodded. "Thank you..." Idris looked at his uniform. "...Lieutenant."

The man nodded at him and moved to sit on the seat of the ride that had just pulled up for him. "We'll get it taken care of, Captain." The man saluted him but Idris noticed the patronizing expression that went with it.

Idris left the spot and walked back up the ramp, making his way to back to the cockpit for Brynn.

"So, will they fix the ship?" Brynn said immediately. "And are they going to make you an officer right away, or are we postponing it?" She wanted to know what was happening, tired of being left behind or pushed into some dark corner.

Idris pulled away from her, putting his hands up in surrender. "Whoa...hey, calm down, alright? No one on this ship is going to MAKE me an officer, I'm just...going to be commissioned. I'll have the authority, but I won't be wearing a uniform. The deck officer said that we're next in line, but they won't know how long it is going to take until they get into it." He sighed, sitting down next to her. "Besides, it's not like we have somewhere to be, right?" He stopped and looked at her from the corner of his eye. "I mean...you don't have a date or something? Some appointment that you are going to miss while you are stranded here for the next couple of months...?"

"I don't." Brynn said indignantly. "I plan on being with you for the long haul. With the ship. I don't have any other plans." She took a deep breath, wishing the filter between thought and speech would work better when she was with Idris instead of babbling on like she'd noticed she was doing. Brynn felt her heart start to race.

"Anyway, I think we have time to wait in the galley, maybe get something to eat. Finally." He moved toward the back of the cockpit and then motioned for her to go first.

She looked up at him and nodded, moving to walk in front of him, hoping her racing heart would calm down before they go to the galley. She walked over and stood in front of the machine, considering it, then shook her head. "I think you know it better."

She turned to see Idris watching her, smiling. She rolled her eyes and sat down. "Now, if it comes to cooking food, I can do that. You know I once was a baker? Only for a few months, but still. I made good pastries for someone who has never owned an oven before."

He laughed a little at that. "It sounds like you have done...a lot of things," he said.

Brynn's mouth opened, then shut and opened again. "I've been to a few places, held a few different jobs." Her voice cracked, and she cleared her throat. "Er, you know, baker, courier, line cook, pet sitter...simple things, anyone could do them, really. Had to, you know, stay unnoticed, but some of them were fun. I was a farm hand for a while..." She laughed a little at that. "If you can believe it, I also worked at a blacksmith for a while, and he never really caught on..."

His expression was skeptical. "Oh come on. Now you're just making things up." Idris shook his head at the idea. "What, you stoked the fires and he had no idea?"

"None. He wasn't a smart man, just talented." Brynn laughed.

"Right. Well, uh, did you get caught, or something?" He asked.

Her head tilted, eyes puzzled. He turned back to see her face, and smiled uneasily, "I mean, you're not still there, so...?"

"Oh!" Brynn said, and she flushed. "Uh, well, his son took a liking to me and I decided I'd rather be elsewhere."

Idris felt himself getting ready to say something he didn't want to come out of his mouth. He swallowed and turned away, biting back his words. "Did you say you were a courier too?"

"It was all planet-side," she said. "I've only been on ships long enough to finish a jump. They're so confined, and with the computer sensors, I have to take cold showers and think of ice the whole way, else I show up as feverish or something."

"And yet you want to lock yourself down hanging around this place?"

Ophelia showed up on the table beside Brynn, cutting off her answer. "The technicians are ready to repair the hull damage, Captain. Should I lower the landing ramp so they can access our systems, if need be?"

"Uh, yeah, sure. Go right ahead, Ophelia." Idris sighed, suddenly thinking about other people on his ship. He looked at Brynn, the pondering thoughts casting a shadow on his expression. Then he blinked and shook his head, moving to start eating again. "Anyway...what did you say about being a delivery girl?"

She rolled her eyes. "No, I was a courier, not a delivery girl. I del-" She stopped herself. "I CARRIED letters, boxes sometimes too." She said. "You wouldn't believe it. It was on the planet that barely had power, due to the strange radiation field surrounding it. No electronics, no ships south of the field, so they had mail couriers that rode horses and used wagons. It was just, load the bags, unload the bags, load the bags, unload the bags. Weeks at a time, riding this trail into the field, and of course I was a great help gathering firewood and my fire never burned out in the night..."

"What happened there?"

"They worked us in rotations, and on one of my rotations, a huge storm came through. Lost the horses, but the people took shelter in the wagon, and strangely didn't freeze to death in the snow, so they had to let us go until they could find more horses." She sighed. "I wish I could have saved the horses too, but they were too big for the wagon and there was no other shelter around. To think in this day and age, caught in a blizzard in some far-off planet, right?"

He frowned. The memory clearly bothered her. "It sounds like you've been...busy," he offered, not really sure how to soften the thought.

She shrugged, trying to change the subject to something less depressing. "Well, I doubt I've been to half as many places as you have. I mean, if I was on a ship, all the time, I can't count the places I probably would have seen."

He smiled, but it grew uneasy as he tried to laugh. "Yeah...lots of places." He sighed and ate some more food.

His reaction wasn't lost on her, but she was hesitant to press him for more information. She started eating also, allowing the silence to fall over them. Idris took a bite and surveyed the table, getting up to move over to the machine. He'd forgotten to get something to drink will all his food, but then suddenly his dishes were hitting the floor, and shattering.

Brynn's head snapped up to look at Idris and then to the doorway. In the doorway was a woman, just a little bit taller than Brynn. She had long blond hair that rested on her shoulders, and a round face. She had grey eyes and thin lips. She was wearing an unusually formal gown, Brynn noted. A dress with a high neckline and no sleeves. The white material nearly touched the ground, and was totally unblemished with any other color.

Idris was absolutely frozen, shock and horror on his face as he stared. He fell back as his legs collapsed from underneath him as he ended up in the pool of liquid, his feet pushing him back, away from the woman. He was visibly shaking, all color drain from his face. He opened his mouth to speak, but his voice had completely abandoned him.

The woman was leaning against the doorway, smiling at him. "Hello, Idris," she said simply.

Brynn stood, not understanding what was going on, but Idris hadn't even reacted this strongly to Moranna. She put herself between them, facing the woman. "Excuse me. You're not a tech. What are you doing here?!"

The woman ignored her, walking to the other end of the galley where she leaned on the wall. "I see you found someone to...replace me?" She smiled, her pleasant soprano sweet and purring as her eye brows arched suggestively. "I'm crushed." She made the face to match her words, pouting a little. She sighed. "But, I guess a girl can't expect someone like you to wait forever, now can she?" Her voice slowly changed from the pretty soprano to a deep contralto.

As it did, Idris seemed to find himself. He recognized her voice now. He stood, yelling as he tried to attack her. As he crossed into her personal space, she disappeared like so much fog and smoke, sitting at the table, eating Brynn's food.

Idris turned to her. He was trembling, violently now. "Get! Out!" His voice was quiet and angry.

She frowned at him and stood, still chewing on a bite of food. As she moved to stand next to the table, the perfect color of her skin darkened, changing to tones of black and blue. Her dress grew tattered and torn, blood smearing on its fabric. Her eyes were sunken and her face bruised as she stepped closer to Idris. The skin around her lips stretched as the health seem to fade away from her body and she looked gaunt and abused. "Are you so certain that you would be free of me even if I decided to leave? It's not as though my absence would change what happened." She pouted, looking down over herself and then back up at him, her eyes pleading. "Look what you've done..."

Idris moved back away from her, obviously shocked by the vision of her beaten, dying form. The vision of the broken woman transitioned to a taller form. She had long, dark brown hair. It was pulled up in an elaborate braid, tied up at the back of her head. Her blue eyes looked at Idris malevolently as she looked down her nose at him. She was wearing simple, black pants and a black sweater, with tanned skin, earrings, and manicured nails. "But, can't we just...stay a while and play, Captain? We used to have so much FUN together, didn't we? Remember that time-"

Brynn moved to try to grab Tsela's arm, latching onto her wrist and jerking her away, moving in front of her to try to herd her out of the galley.

"Fine, have it your way, Captain. I'll being seeing you." She spun around, and as she did, her body seemed to coalesce into wisps of vapor that trailed out into the corridor.

Brynn's gazed lingered on where the woman had been standing and then turned to Idris. He'd moved to sit on the floor, staring down at nothing, a million miles away from her.