Bumped Off Course

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After finishing a few quick interviews, Joseph and Kay were ushered back to the eighteenth green for the trophy presentation. At the last second, Kay begged off and stayed on the side of the green.

"I love you Joseph, but this is your moment in the sun. Plus, I'm not exactly dressed for TV."

Kay's smile instantly disappeared when Joseph turned away from her. She wasn't dressed for TV! She knew that Steve would be watching the golf tournament since it was being played in their home town and since it was such an exciting tournament. There had been cameras circling Joseph ever since he made his final putt. She had been by his side, or worse yet kissing him, ever since then. Had any of those pictures been broadcast? There was no way for her to know that the picture of a golfer kissing his wife or girlfriend after winning a tournament is one of the favorite scenes for a TV producer.

Kay was shaking during the entire award presentation. She was startled when Joseph was back by her side. The trophy was still sitting on a table, but he was carrying an oversized check that was almost as big as the grin on his face.

Joseph showed Kay the check. "What do you think?"

After seeing the check for $800,000 she laughed and said "I guess I will be sending you my dry cleaning bill."

Not caring about anything but the man that she now knew she loved, she wrapped Joseph in a big hug and gave him the most passionate kiss that was legal for a public space.

"I know that I promised you dinner back at our restaurant tonight, but there are a bunch of things that I have to do here now. I have more interviews to do and the host club throws a party for the winner where all the sponsors will be too. Who knows, I may even be able to pick up some endorsements out of this. I know that it doesn't sound like much fun, but I'd love if you stayed with me tonight."

"Stay with you tonight? Isn't that a little presumptuous of a woman you just met three days ago?" Kay said this with a very stern look on her face.

Joseph was horrified and confused all at the same time. He was positive that he loved this woman and he would never do anything to intentionally hurt her. But he was confused since she had "stayed the night" with him the previous night and he was pretty sure that it wasn't just a friendly sleepover.

As Joseph's face was wracked by a range of emotions, Kay let him off the hook by breaking into a wide smile. "You know what Joseph, if you're going to freak out every time I mess with you, we're going to have a problem."

Kay began to walk towards the clubhouse. "Let's go party."

As she passed by his shoulder, she stood on her tiptoes and whispered in his ear "you can be damn sure that I'll be "staying the night" with you."

Joseph could just shake his head as he turned and chased down Kay. Just as he reached her, he ran into the PGA Tour commissioner.

"Joseph, congratulations on the win. Your dedication to the tour and the hard work that you have put in throughout your career have been a real testament to you. We are proud to have you as our newest champion."

"Thank you commissioner. It has been a long winding road to get here.

Being on tour, Joseph was a veteran of meeting many a new person at social events. He was more than comfortable with the protocol. He would frequently have to introduce his wife to people that were really not that interested in meeting her. Joseph knew what he was supposed to do next, but he was at a loss for words. How was he supposed to introduce Kay? He knew that he loved her, but was not positive as to how Kay felt about him. Was it presumptive to call her his "girlfriend?" Would she be offended if he called her his "friend?" He was forced to take a leap of faith.

"I'd like to introduce you to..." and Joseph paused for just a second to look at Kay. "...my girlfriend, Kay Mitchell."

"It is a pleasure to meet you Ms. Mitchell. I've known Joseph here for a number of years now. You've got one of the good ones; don't let him get away from you."

"I don't plan on letting him go, you can be assured of that," and Kay wrapped her arm around Joseph's waist as a sign that she would forever keep him close to her.

Kay felt heartened to be able to vocalize her intentions. She knew that she and Joseph needed to have a long talk about what they meant to each other. She knew enough to know that he would be leaving for some other town the next day. She dreaded the thought of losing him just as fast as she had found him. She knew though that even as he moves on to the next town, she had no intention of letting him go from her heart. She also knew that they would have to have a very difficult talk about Steve.

After three hours of being wined and dined by the host club and the tournament sponsors, Joseph led Kay through the parking lot to his car. It had long since become dark out and the parking lot was deserted. As they arrived at Joseph's car, he gently backed her against the side of the car and gave her a long kiss. When he broke the kiss, Kay could tell that he needed to say something.

"Kay, if you had asked me on Wednesday where my life would be on Sunday, I would have told you that I'd have probably missed another cut and have been on down the road. I could not have been more wrong. I found something this week and it wasn't just my game. I found you. I love you Kay. I'm not saying that because you are some hot chick I happened to meet the week I won my first tournament. I won because I met you."

"I wouldn't say all that now, you've been working all your life for this moment."

"Shhh, let me say what I need to say. This isn't easy for me. I was going nowhere fast before I met you. I never realized how big of a hole was in my heart until you filled it. You allowed me to relax and stop worrying about my game. I now know that regardless of what happens out there on the course, as long as I have you, then I'll be fine. I don't know what our future holds, but I do know that if it doesn't include you, then it is not a future that I want."

Kay had tears in her eyes as Joseph spoke. She knew that she had made a giant mess of her life. She also knew that she wanted nothing more than to give up everything to be with him.

"I'm scared Joseph," Kay cried. "I'm not scared of you. I'm scared about how I feel about you. I never imagined that I could feel this way about someone that I didn't even know existed three days ago. I'm scared about how we are going to make this work. But I do love you with all my heart and I will do whatever it takes to make this work."

After a long kiss at the side of the car, Joseph said "I guess you don't need dinner now."

"How about we go get my car though before someone steals it?"

"We can do that."

PART IV

Joseph had no idea that as jumbled as his life had become, it was going to become much more jumbled in the coming moments. He noticed that Kay was strangely quiet and reflective on the drive to the restaurant. As they pulled into the parking lot, Kay finally spoke as she fought back tears.

"There's something else that I'm scared of. I'm scared of losing you because of something that I have done. Please don't for one second think that just because I have done this that it changes the way I feel about you. I've known you for only three days now and yet you are my everything. I Love you and yet I've hurt you without you even knowing it."

The tears flowed freely now. Joseph did not know what Kay could have possibly done to have hurt him. He had never been so happy in his entire life and he didn't want the feeling to end.

"Steve. His name is Steve. We've been living together for four years now."

Joseph thought that he could actually hear his world come crashing down around him.

"What do you mean? You said that you were single."

"Actually I didn't. You never asked and I never said anything. I've known that things were bad with Steve for a long time now. I just never knew how much I was missing until I met you. You showed me that I deserve more than what I was getting from him. I knew that I wasn't honest with you from the start and it just kept getting harder and harder to say something. And then we ended up here. I'm just a girl who wasn't looking for love, but found a boy that was willing to give her the world. Please, can you find it in your heart to forgive me?"

Kay was a babbling mess as she finished talking. Joseph was silent for a long moment.

"I don't even know what to say. I understand though. It was clear from the start that we both were in over our heads. Neither of us was looking for anything, we just kind of bumped into each other."

They were both able to crack a small smile at Joseph's bad humor. Kay was warmed by his smile and hoped that he would allow her to still be a part of his life.

"I don't like what you did Kay. I won't lie about that. I've been completely honest with you from the start. But I can't bring myself to be mad at you. I think that we've all been in situations where we've made a small lie because it didn't seem like a big deal at the time. But then it turns into a big deal as time moves on. I'd be a fool if I left you over this Kay. I know that your heart is true. I'd like nothing more than for you to come home with me now."

"No. I can't." Joseph's face flashed white again. "I have to go home and settle things with Steve. I loved him at one point in my life and I owe it to him. But I'd like to come over later tonight if that is okay."

"Damn it Kay. You've got to stop doing that to me. I'm too old; my heart can't take it."

Kay smiled and breathed deeply at his sarcastic sense of humor. He always kept her on her toes and she worked to do the same to him. They gave each other one last long kiss before Kay got out of the car.

"I'll wait up for you," Joseph hollered out the door at Kay.

"It may be awhile."

"I don't care. I Love you."

"I Love you to Joseph."

Even though Kay was satisfied with the way the conversation with Joseph had gone, she was still crying as she got in her car. She was upset with herself for hurting Joseph. But deep down, she knew that if she had told the truth from the start, then she never would have been a part of Joseph's life now. And for that reason, she was glad she had not told him. She dreaded what she had to do now. She knew that she had already broken one man's heart tonight and she did not look forward to doing it a second time.

Kay pulled her car in the driveway of her home and saw that all of the lights were on in the house even though it was close to midnight. Kay quietly crept into the house. She did not know why she was trying to be so quiet. She knew that once she saw Steve that things would quickly become very loud. She rounded the corner and looked into the living room. There sitting on the couch was Steve. He was facing the big screen TV that she had bought him for his birthday the previous year. He was watching Sports Center.

Kay quietly watched as he picked up the remote and pushed a button. Suddenly the picture began to rewind through a fast series of what appeared to be a story on golf. Her heart sank at the realization that Steve already knew about her. Her fear became reality when he pushed another button making the TV start playing forward again. There filling the screen was a close up of Joseph kissing Kay after he made his final putt. Steve paused the TV so that there was a freeze frame of them kissing and holding each other.

"I'm so sorry Steve. Please believe me when I say that I never meant to hurt you."

"Shut the hell up. You didn't mean to hurt me? What the hell does that look like?" as Steve points at the oversized image of Kay and Joseph.

Though she was in pain knowing that she hurt Steve, the sight of Joseph holding her warmed her heart just a bit. She knew that she was doing the right thing; no matter how much it hurt at that moment.

"I know what it looks like. You're not wrong and I know that I've hurt you. But I wasn't looking for something to happen. It just did. I know that sounds like a cliché, but it's true."

Steve was now sitting on the couch covering his face so that Kay couldn't see his tears. Kay sat down next to him.

"I haven't been happy for a long time Steve. I don't know if you've noticed, but..."

"I'm not stupid Kay. I noticed that you weren't happy. I just didn't know what to do about it. You never seemed like you wanted to be around me much. I tried to be close to you, but you wouldn't let me in."

Kay was upset with the way Steve was talking about her. She knew that any distance she put between them was placed there after his emotional abandonment and mistreatment of her. Especially since his mistreatment of her at the golf tournament is what led her into Joseph's arms. But, she knew that she was in the wrong in starting her relationship with Joseph while still living with Steve so she allowed Steve to blame her.

"I even planned special outings for us to do together. What do you think that golf tournament was about? I should have known something was up when you actually agreed to go with me. I didn't know that you were going just so you could hook up with your boyfriend."

"Screw you Steve. I've sat here and let you blame me for everything and I've let you because I know how much I've hurt you. But get your facts straight. I agreed to go with you because I knew our relationship was on life support and I was trying to give of myself to you by spending time with you. You ignored and treated me like shit the entire day. When I stormed off from you, that is when I met Joseph for the first time. I never cheated on you during our entire time together. Can you say the same thing?"

Kay was surprised when Steve did not say a word; as if confirming that he had actually cheated on her. Kay never suspected Steve of cheating. She had only said that because she was pissed. Now she was only more sure that she had made the right decision in going with Joseph for that first drink three nights earlier.

"Your silence says a lot," as Kay's tears flowed freely. "I know I am wrong here Steve. I'm going to go now. You can stay in the house until you find a place of your own. I won't put you out on the street. That wouldn't be fair to do to you when we're both in the wrong."

Kay turned and walked out of the house, never once looking back at Steve. Had she turned, she would have seen a broken man crying into his hands. As much as it hurt Kay to do what she did to Steve, she was done worrying about how he felt. He showed again that he did not deserve the love that Kay had given to him through the years. She wanted nothing more than to be back in Joseph's arms.

Rain began to fall during the drive back to Joseph's house. It seemed appropriate since it matched her mood. It was nearly one AM by the time Kay got to the house. She parked the car in the driveway and tried to straighten herself up. She knew that it would do no good though. She ran through the driving rain to the front door and pushed the doorbell. Kay was momentarily afraid that Joseph had gone to bed since it was so late. Her fear was gone when she heard the sounds of footsteps running down the hall.

Joseph had been pacing all around the house in the hours since he had last seen Kay. He thought that his world had ended when she confessed about her boyfriend. He knew that she was telling him that she would go back to her boyfriend. As quickly as Joseph's world tumbled down, it was built back up when she professed her love for him. He felt an emptiness in his rented home now and he knew that only one thing could fill that hole.

Joseph was in the far corner of the house when he heard the doorbell ring. His heart skipped a beat as he ran towards the door. He swung the front door open and saw the woman of his dreams standing there; soaked from head to toe. He was a bit surprised though when she didn't come in the house.

"I have to know something Joseph. Three days ago I was content in my unfulfilling life. I wasn't happy, but I could live with it. Then you came along and bumped into my life. I never dreamed that a love like this was possible and certainly not this fast. I give it all up for you. I want you. Believe it or not, I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. But I can't come in this house unless I know that you feel the same way. I'm not asking you to propose to me right now, I'm just asking that you not invite me in unless you want to make a go at us being together."

"I won't invite you in."

Now Kay's eyes went wide and her mouth hung open.

Joseph smiled and said "you don't have to be invited into your own house. Well it's your house until tomorrow when I have to head to Orlando, but we can work out those small details later."

Joseph stepped out onto the patio and embraced the dripping wet Kay.

"How about we get you inside and get you out of those wet clothes," Joseph said with all seriousness.

"Why, are you propositioning me Mr. Williamson?"

"Actually I wasn't but I could be persuaded."

Kay walked into the house leaving Joseph on the porch and headed towards the bedroom. With every step, she began the process of removing her drenched clothes. First she pulled the zipper on her shirt all the way down; the same one that had been driving her crazy all day. When she did this, she began to walk backwards so that Joseph could see her cleavage inviting him to come closer. She then pulled her shirt over her head to reveal her large breasts covered in a now wet and very see through bra.

Joseph shook his head in disbelief as he closed the door and followed Kay down the hall. As he neared her, Kay dropped her skort to the floor and kicked it at Joseph; hitting him in the face. She laughed all the way to the bedroom as Joseph chased after her.

Joseph grabbed Kay around the waste just as she got to the bed. He spun her around and they tumbled onto the bed where he quickly laid atop her. They were both still laughing as they began passionately kissing; letting all the emotions of the day come out through their lips. The new lovers were in no hurry to get the night over. They took their time exploring every last inch of each other's body.

Once again Kay awoke to the sun streaming through the window. This time she woke before Joseph. She snuggled up alongside of him and draped her arm across his muscular chest. She still snickered at the sight of his white chest next to his deeply tanned arms. But what she really loved was the sight of her tan skin next to his white skin. As a biracial woman, she loved the ying and yang look as their bodies lay intertwined. Through her entire life she struggled to find men that appreciated her for who she was as a person and not just look at her skin. Too many people wrote her off because she was not "all white" or "not black enough." She knew Joseph loved her for her though.

As she gently stroked Joseph's chest, he slowly began to stir. He broke out in a wide sleepy smile when he saw Kay snuggled up to his chest. He felt as if he never wanted to leave the bed or her arms. But he knew that wasn't going to be possible. His life was the life of a traveling salesman; another week, another town. Joseph wondered if Kay really knew what she was signing up for. He knew that he had to broach the subject with her, but did not want to open that door.

Kay saw the look on Joseph's face and knew what he was thinking.

"When do you have to leave?"

"I'm supposed to be out of the house by noon."

"Where's the tournament this week?"

"Orlando. So at least it isn't too far. I don't suppose that you'd be able to come over with me?"

"You know I wish that I could Joseph. But I already blew off a bunch of clients last week. I don't think that I could do that again. I could probably manage to come over Friday night and spend the weekend though."