Case of the Paper Trail Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I owe you thanks, Don." said the Chief, now that we could talk. "I made a bet that you'd remember to grab your lantern last night, and you did."

"I almost missed it." Cindy said. "Then I saw Don grab his."

"I told them that you were a Paratrooper and would remember." said the Chief, with astonishing accuracy in mentioning my earlier thoughts. "Well, guys, were you surprised?"

"Not for Cindy." I said. "I didn't know if there were enough slots for me to make it, though."

"Actually," said the Chief, "there would normally have only been four, and with the two of you making it, and quite easily I might add, we decided to add two more to get some of the others in. They deserved it, too." I could not have agreed more. I glanced over at the other honorees. Janice Holloway was talking with Captain Harlow and Sr. Patrolman Hicks. Rudistan and Morton were talking with Corporal Kirkpatrick, with Rudistan and Kirkpatrick bantering and laughing. Among others, Captain Charles was talking with his son Sergeant Charles, obviously very proud that his son was following him in receiving this honor.

"So what do we do in the Orange Order?" I asked the Chief.

"Same as always, set the example for others." said the Chief. "But to your question: we have a charity drive, sometimes have service projects, and we essentially plan and run the Policeman's Ball, which is tonight, and it is not a coincidence that we have these things on the same weekend. We also get together about four times a year, usually the night before Promotions Day, and have dinner and get the early scoop on who is being promoted."

"So what does the Inner Circle do?" asked Cindy.

"They're like the Board of Directors, of sorts." said the Chief. "They, I should say 'we' since I'm one of them, tally the votes and present the findings to the full membership. Usually we, meaning the full membership, go with the vote, but on rare occasions we've declined someone. For example, if some group of pranksters decided to stuff the ballot box with Sharples' name as a joke, we'd take him right off the list and go with the next name."

"Wise thinking." I said. The Chief laughed. Then I asked "Do people stuff the ballot box?"

"Oh, sure." Griswold said. "And we don't discourage it. That's how Janice Holloway was elected; all of Personnel & Records got together to vote for her, if I don't miss my guess. And that's fine, it helps get all departments represented. And it happens very rarely that a bad candidate is elected: the Force is good about seeing who are the best. By the way, we won't show you this year's results, but you'll see all the future ones. We made an exception to announce Lt. Ross's unanimous vote, since it happens so rarely."

"That's awesome." I said. "And Lieutenant Ross absolutely deserves it."

"I'm shocked you weren't unanimously voted in." said Cindy, who was blushing at the praise being delivered her way.

"Harrumph." I said. "There are plenty of people not on my side. They covet my position, my job, my success..."

"Yes." said Chief Griswold. "And that brings up a point, which I'll bring up here, privately: I'm not worried about who they will make the next Chief. Don, you'll practically have veto power over that. It's who they're going to put into the Deputy Chief's job that worries me. The Council is very bad about not thinking things through. They'll give the Deputy Chief job as a consolation prize to whomever they don't give the Chief job to, and then that person will try to make life miserable for you, Don."

"They'd better be careful." Cindy said. "He's got a crowbar, and the willingness to use it."

"Someone else has a crowbar, too." said the Chief, surprisingly rather coldly. "And she'd better be prepared to use it to help her boss and mentor out. You're both going to become targets in the political games, Miss Ross. I have full confidence in you both, but you'd better be ready to play when the whistle blows... on January 1st."

Cindy contemplated that for some time as Corporal Kirkpatrick arrested my attention with a question about my plans as Acting Chief regarding precincts...

Part 13 - The Policeman's Ball

I got home from the Orange Order initiation about 10:00am on Saturday, December 6th. Carole was very happy to see me, so I held her and Jim both for a few minutes before having to go to bed, totally exhausted. Laura promised to wake me up in plenty of time to get ready for the Policeman's Ball that evening.

Hours later, I woke up, lying on my side. Nestled into my chest was my daughter, sleeping peacefully. If I had to choose, I'd trade in every medal and Orange Order and other honors in favor of raising my wonderful children, I thought to myself. Nothing could compare to watching my kids grow up...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura looked wonderful in her navy blue evening gown, and as I zipped up her dress I whispered that I was going to fuck her sexy brains out once we got back home. She blushed, but her eyes sparkled with desire. Despite the opportunity, she did not overdo it, knowing that many officers' wives and girlfriends at the Policeman's Ball would be wearing what they could afford, and Laura was not one for over-fashion to make a point.

For myself, it was my dress uniform with black bow tie, Medal of Valor around my neck, my other medals on my chest on the right side, including the new Orange Order medal.

Todd and Jeanine were keeping the kids, and we headed to the University Hotel after dropping them off. We arrived relatively early; as part of the Command Group now, Laura and I were expected to be part of the receiving line, along with the Mayor and his wife, and the Chief and his wife. Next year, Sheriff Allgood and his lovely wife would be expected to be part of the line.

I had made an effort the last few weeks to research every officer on the Force and his family, in order to be able to greet them and talk with them during their passage through the receiving line and also for the rest of the evening. For a lot of the officers, this was like the prom, one of the biggest events of the year for them.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the initial social talk and drinks, we sat down for dinner. Laura and I were at the long head table with the Command Group. Lt. Daniel Allgood and Melina were also at the table, a concession to his election to be Sheriff. The Mayor and his wife, the Chief and his wife, Captain Charles and his wife, and Captain Harlow and her date were also at the table.

I looked over the crowd. Cindy Ross was wearing her formal uniform, with a skirt and navy blue high heel pumps, showing off her very shapely legs. She was also wearing her Medal of Valor and Orange Order medal, as well as her Purple Order. Jenna was with her, looking very hot in her black dress.

As always, I wondered who Teresa Croyle would be with; on this occasion she was with the SWAT Team member known as 'The Leader'. Teresa wore her Purple Order on its purple-and-silver ribbon around her neck, as did most others who had earned it. Only the Chief, Cindy, and myself wore our Purple Orders on a chest drape of purple with a silver-gray edge, and that of course was because we were wearing Medals of Valor around our necks. And that got a lot of interest from the members of the Police Force during the evening, who rarely saw the Purple Order so configured and worn.

I caught sight of Myron Milton and Mary Mahoney. Myron's police uniform actually fit his lanky body fairly well; I wondered if he'd had his suit tailored. I also noticed that he seemed very nervous, though I could not understand why. Mary had chosen to be Myron's date instead of a police officer, and wore a leather dress and skirt. She did not overdo the 'Goth' approach, and looked very nice. Martin Nash and Sandra Speer were together, Sandra wearing a very lovely formal gown of pale green with some hints of orange and salmon, which got Laura's attention... and Elsie Gringer's. Elsie always managed to get herself in as the date of one of our retirees or another, and Sandra's dress was going to get some newspaper ink... in an good way.

Tanya Perlman and Barry Oliver were there and as a couple, but I noticed some tension there. Then my mother walked in with Seth Warner as her date. I noticed that my mother did two things: first, she introduced Seth to Joanne Cummings, who was dressed in a police formal uniform that did not hide the gorgeousness of her body; second, my mom talked to Tanya extensively... while Joanne and Seth were talking as if they were longtime friends.

After dinner the Mayor made some remarks about appreciating the Police Force, then he asked everyone to recognize the Chief before he left for retirement. The standing ovation was thunderous and lasted for long minutes. The Chief's wife dabbed a few tears away, and I suspect many others did also.

Then the Chief took the podium, had the Orange Order recipients stand to be recognized. The applause was nice but was not (and of course should not have been) as long or loud as the Chief's ovation.

Last, I was expected to say a few words. I turned it into a toast to the Police Force, telling them how proud I was to be serving with them, and asking them to make a toast with me for a successful New Year.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

During the dance part of the evening, I danced with my mother after several with Laura.

"Son, do keep an eye out on Miss Perlman." my mother admonished. "She and Mr. Oliver are breaking up, if I'm any judge of things."

"And you always are." I said. "I noticed you introduced Seth to Joanne Cummings, and now you're practically without a date."

"Oh, you did notice that, did you?" my mother said teasingly. We'd both noticed that Seth and Joanne were dancing with each other almost exclusively. "Yes, I think Seth and Joanne are going to become quite good friends, don't you think?"

"And much more, if I'm any judge of things." I said. "I just hope that doesn't dull her abilities as a Detective. Joanne is doing a great job in MCD."

"That's good to hear." my mom said. "Now son, you need to do your duty and go dance with the Chief's wife while he dances with yours, and talk with the Mayor and his wife. Meanwhile, I'll go steal Barry from Tanya, and free her up to socialize with all the handsome young officers that are here tonight."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I did as my mom suggested, chatted with Mrs. Griswold and danced with her, and found out that she was very happy to have her husband back. I told her that her gain was our loss, and thanked her for loaning him to the Town & County for his years of service. She told me to make sure to come visit him and fish with him as often as I could.

After Laura and I engaged the Mayor and his wife in conversation for a few minutes, I noted the time and mentioned it to the Mayor. He understood: nobody would leave until he and the Chief left.

Just before they were about to announce their goodbyes, Myron Milton surprised us all by taking the microphone. "Ladies and gentlemen, if I may have your attention for just one moment." he said. He had Mary beside him and I noticed him reaching furtively into his pocket.

"I've been fortunate to be dating Mary for all these months now, and I wanted all of you, my police family, to be here for this." He knelt down on his knee and produced a small box from his pocket as he asked into microphone "Mary, will you marry me?"

Everyone applauded as Mary gushed, tears in her eyes, her hands over her face. The applause got louder when she said "Yes!" and Myron put the ring on her finger.

Minutes later, the Chief got on the mike, congratulated Myron and Mary, then announced that he and the Mayor were taking their leave, and for everyone to enjoy the rest of the evening.

As the crowd thinned, many people congratulated Myron and Mary, including myself and Laura. I remembered how I'd asked Laura to marry me at a surprise party, and Myron had topped that wonderfully. After hugging Mary, I gave Myron a thumb-to-thumb handshake, congratulating him for doing his best work of the week...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"That was so lovely, Myron asking Mary to marry him like that." said Laura as we got ready for bed after putting the babies to bed. "But it sure took some guts to take over the Policeman's Ball like that."

"Myron asked me about the feasibility of doing that." I admitted. "I told him to clear it with the Chief. The Chief is an old softie at heart, and readily allowed Myron to do it."

"Speaking of the Chief," said Laura, "you need to visit him often and keep him in the loop. He's pretending to take retirement well, but he is going to miss it. A lot."

"I know." I said, then changed the conversation by mentioning my mother's observations, especially about Seth and Joanne.

"What I observed," Laura noted, "was that your mother and Elsie Gringer had a long conversation. God only knows how many secrets exchanged hands and ears at that pow-wow." I laughed.

"Well, here's one secret I'm sure they've figured out." I said, coming around behind my wife and taking her into my arms, gently thrusting my crotch and hardening cock into her glorious asscheeks. "The Police Commander took home the most beautiful woman at the ball, and he's going to sexually ravish her all night... starting right now." I began kissing Laura's neck, knowing that we would soon be making hot, passionate, sensuous love...

Part 14 - Closing In

Monday, December 8th. Assistant District Attorney Franklin Washington entered Police Headquarters, accompanied by his brother, Detective Theo Washington. Only when they were side-by-side like this could one tell that they were not identical twins.

"I'll need to talk with Detective Purvis about these drug cases, if the Commander will make him available." said Franklin as they turned into the ADA offices. Jenna Stiles was in her office already. "Once we get through them- hey, what the hell is this?"

Gor-don was in the other office that Franklin had been heading into. Papers were all over the desk, as if it were his office. Adding insult to injury, Gor-don was dressed in 'punk' style with makeup, almost as an intentional affront to the Police whose Headquarters this was.

"Stiles, what the hell is this?" Franklin said loudly. "This office is supposed to be for ADAs to use!"

"Tell you what," Jenna offered, coming out of her office into the anteroom. "I'll find you some space. Maybe the conference room is free-"

"Miss Stiles," said Franklin, pressing it, getting louder, "this office is for our use, not this punk assistant of yours."

"That's right!" said Lieutenant Tanya Perlman, loudly, as she walked in. "That office is not meant for that piece of dog shit Gor-don to be in. Get him out of there, now, so Franklin can use the office."

Jenna was staring daggers at Tanya, who was staring daggers back. "This is our office, Lieutenant, not yours." Jenna said to Tanya.

Just then, Franklin started speaking into his cell phone. "D.A. Krasney, I'm over here at Police HQ, and the office you told me to use is occupied by this piece of crap assistant of Jenna's..." A second later, Jenna's phone in her office rang.

"I believe that is for you, ADA Stiles." Tanya said, her voice dripping sarcasm. Jenna stared daggers again, but answered it just as Cindy Ross came in.

"All right, Theo, back to MCD. Tanya, you too. I'll handle this." Cindy said, taking charge. She listened as Jenna took the call from D.A. Krasney. "Yes sir," Jenna was saying, "I offered to find him some space... yes sir... yes, I'll get him out of there now..."

A moment later she hung up the phone. "God damn it! Why the fuck did you call the DA, Washington? I'll remember this- oh, Cindy..."

"Let's step into your office." Cindy said quietly, almost pushing Jenna back into the room. Once alone, Cindy said, almost a whisper, "Look, get Gor-don out of there before the Commander hears about this and comes over here."

"But-" Jenna started, but was cut off.

"Just... do... it." Cindy said. Jenna relented, anger still in her eyes.

"All right, Gor-don." Jenna said. "Stack up the papers and get them to your desk out front, here..."

"But ma'am-" Gor-don started, but was cut off himself.

"Just do it, Gor-don." Jenna said. "I'll work on it, now just clear the room." Gor-don did, letting his eyes stare back into Cindy's ice-cold blue eyes as she watched. Perhaps Gor-don did not know how near a 'crowbar beatdown' he was... and how a much worse one would come if the blonde woman's redheaded boss came around the corner...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I made a point to stop in and say hello to ADA Franklin Washington as he sat in the office next to Jenna's, talking to Teresa Croyle and Christopher Purvis.

"Got everything you need, Mr. Washington?" I asked.

"I sure do, Commander. Thank you." said Franklin.

"Lieutenant Croyle, let me know if ADA Washington needs anything." I said, which Teresa acknowledged, trying to keep a smirk off her face as she caught sight of Gor-don's face in the anteroom.

As I left the room I glanced over at Gor-don. If looks could kill, I'd be dead three times over. I just glared back at him as I left.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I sat in on the 9:00am meeting of MCD. Myron Milton had called in asking for the day off, as his hot water heater had sprung a leak and needed to be fixed. I acquiesced and told him to call me if he needed help on that. Busted hot water heaters suck to get fixed.

"I'm not expecting that much has come out over the weekend." said Tanya Perlman. "But we need to start following some leads. Let's go back over this literally from the beginning." She brought out the boxes of the evidence so-far obtained. It was sad to me that my box of evidence in my office had more in it, and I hoped my Detectives would correct that.

As everyone went over the evidence, Tanya was drawing a timeline of events, to the best of her knowledge and ability. From that afternoon about 2:30pm, when Mrs. Davis went to Kroger, to about 10:00pm that night, when it was believed Mr. Biller arrived home from going to the Senior Center, the gaps were filled in as best they could be.

Joanne Cummings was holding up the note left by Edna, looking at it, holding it up to the light. "Hmmm... German. You know, guys, I just have a feeling that this note is important."

"It was found at the Biller's home," said Theo, "but the rest of the pad was found at the Davis home. This is cheating, I know, but the Commander was really looking at it at the crime scene." All eyes turned to me.

"Observe and deduce, people. Observe and deduce." was all I would say. That in itself got a reproving look from two of "Crowbar's Angels".

"We covered that, already, though there's no problem in bringing it up again if it gives us a fresh angle to look at it." said Cindy. She was sitting next to Joanne, studying some photographs.

"What are you studying so hard, Lieutenant?" Joanne asked Cindy.

"These tire tracks." said Cindy. "Ford Ranger. Just like what Harmon Biller has, but his tires were new, and were new on that Monday the crime was called in. No way he could have them changed and we not find out about it, and he was not at any tire shop on Sunday or Monday. But it's still strange, and I've got a feeling about it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Later that afternoon, I went to the local FBI office to meet Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone. To my surprise, my wife Dr. Laura Fredricson was there, also.

"Thanks for coming, both of you." said Jack Muscone. "My boss asked me to get both of you up to speed on the aftermath of our recent troubles with the Corrigan Cell remnants."

"No new problems, I hope?" asked Laura.