Case of the Paper Trail Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, let me just give you the report our people compiled." said Jack. "First, we're pretty sure it was the last team of mercenary snipers that was wiped out in that van explosion on the Bypass. The driver, that guy you call Gruff, is also a confirmed kill, and the old man found at the farmhouse over the State Line was a CIA wet boy and former U.S. Marine Sniper named Keeler.

"Ho ho ho!" I said with no small amount of sarcasm in my voice. Laura and Jack laughed.

"Here's something a little less jolly." said Muscone. "Our guys did a real workover of that farmhouse. They are sure that six or more people were there. Ergo, they think that some associates of this group may not have gone on the mission in the van, which probably was to walk into your ambush, Don, and so they may still be at large. We don't think the extra people were snipers or mercenaries, or they would've come on the attack mission."

Laura said "The Corrigan Cell had Jody Corrigan, Bartholomew Scott, Sarah Collins, two eight-man hit teams, and possibly between two and four scientists working in the project labs. Ned was one of those, and he is dead now, but there were others. Could one of those lab rats have been at that farmhouse?"

"Possibly, though no chemicals nor traces of any research were found. Don, any ideas? Don?" Muscone said, looking over at me. I was staring at the ceiling, in a reverie. After a moment, I came out of it, feeling as much as seeing the eyes staring at me.

"Yeah, now that you mention it..." I said, wondering why I had not realized this before, "...there is one guy who kept showing up on the periphery: the guy who was blowing Bounel when we raided Bounel's dorm room, and was likely a contact of Ned's, and I think he had access to the Heinz labs. We called him 'Skinny Beard'."

"Ah yes, I remember." said Laura.

"Yes." I said. "And if memory serves me correctly, he may have had ties to the Black Widow and the poisons she injected Hewitt and Feeley with."

"Well, he hasn't been seen or heard from in some time." Laura said. "I'm sure, Jack, you'll ask them to re-check?"

"Sure." said Muscone. "But he's not one of the dangerous ones like the hit teams or Scott, is he?"

"I dunno, if he's dabbling in poisons, he could kill." I said. "Remember that there were several attempts on Nathan Allen the night he died... only one of those attempts actually worked. And if he becomes employed by other criminals..."

As Laura and Jack nodded, I then said "And let me tell you this: if this 'Skinny Beard' had anything to do with the murder of Pete Feeley, then I am going to find him..." I looked at the others, my eyes full of purpose and intent...

"... and I am going to kill him."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura had left our meeting at the FBI offices and I did not expect to see her again until suppertime that evening at home. At 3:30pm those suppositions changed. She asked me to come to University Hospital.

Arriving there, I found out what the commotion was about: a bottle of morphine sulfate had gone missing, and instead of calling us locals, some idiot called the SBI in directly. The Narcotics Task Force was on the scene, and so was SBI Director Jack Lewis.

Chief Griswold was also there, and one could cut the tension in the air with a butter knife. As I arrived, both the Chief and Laura hastily told me that SBI Agent Richard "Dick" Ferrell was not present. Instead there were two SBI Agents who I did not know, and who had not been on the scene during the confrontation at Ward Harvester.

"Ah, Commander," said Lewis derisively, "why am I not surprised to see you here? Griswold's worthless; can't do a damn thing without his pitbull."

"Say one more word insulting my Chief, Lewis," I said coldly, "and I'll shoot you dead, right here and right now." Lewis and his agents peered at me, and realized I wasn't kidding. No crowbar beatdown; it was a threat to kill him, my patience with him was past exhausted, and he knew it.

"All right," said Lewis to me, trying to ignore the Chief, "the Governor wants us to work better together, so I'll try if you will, okay?" I just stared at him. "I did not let Ferrell come into your County, either. So give me credit for that, and let's try to find out what happened. This is Agent Greenwalt and Agent Grigsby. Gentlemen this is Police Commander Troy, the Iron Crowbar guy you've heard about."

Greenwalt was husky, 'oversized', and had an attitude that reminded me of Sergeant Rudistan's playfulness, except Greenwalt came off as immature. Grigsby was more professional, but was young. I asked Grigsby to fill me in.

"Bottle of morphine sulfate, liquid form, concentrated, big bottle, disappeared from the pharmacy." said Grigsby. "The pharmacist on shift got in a new supply and was putting the bottles up, and the overall count came up one short. The last shipment to come in, and therefore the last inventory, was November 15th."

"How do the shifts work for pharmacists?" I asked my wife.

"Three people on duty during the day shift, two during the evening shift and usually one during the night shift, though sometimes if we're really busy they'll have overlapping coverage." said Laura.

"Any unauthorized access?" I asked.

"We checked that already." said Agent Greenwalt, which earned him a cutting look from me. He stared right back, offended at my question.

"We did check, and only one name appears to be unusual." Grigsby said, showing me a printout. "A Nurse... Jones. Friday after Thanksgiving. Around noon."

"Let me see that." I said as I examined the seeming incomprehensible numbers by each entry. "Chief, Director Lewis, do you see this number here?" I pointed at a nine-digit string of numbers, this one ending in '55555'.

"Yeah, what about it?" Lewis asked derisively.

"I'm sure, Director Lewis," I said coldly, "that you're aware that I sold security systems before joining the Police Force here. I happen to know that when someone tries to duplicate a badge or fake one in some way, this number ending in '55555' is generated. It also fires off a warning to the system, and your Agents need to investigate why that warning either went unheeded or didn't fire."

"So what are you saying?" asked Lewis. "Why would it allow access if the badge is faked?"

"The system-makers took into account that someone might be in a hostage situation or under duress when the fake badge was used. So it allows access, and fires off a warning to the central security monitors." I said. "What I'm saying at this point is that the system failed at two points, and that Nurse Jones very likely is not the one who entered at that time. Someone else did, someone who wanted you to think it was Nurse Jones... Agent Grigsby, do you also have the entry and exit logs of the Hospital for that same Friday?"

"Hold on." said Grigsby, digging the information out of a sheaf of papers. "Yes, right here. No 'Nurse Jones' entering or leaving that day."

I looked at the entries, and noted one strangeness. "Now why is this other nurse leaving via the morgue exit?" I asked out loud. "Gentlemen, I'm not saying she did anything, certainly can't prove it, but you might ask her in a sudden way why she left that way. See what pops out." Grigsby nodded, Director Lewis was peering at me, and Greenwalt looked like he had his thumb stuck up his ass.

"Well," I said, "good luck with this one, gentlemen. I'll be on my way."

"That's all?" Director Lewis asked, seemingly stunned. "Nothing further?"

"Oh I'm sure you and Agent Greenwalt have already got this figured out, and any additional help from me would be superfluous and unneeded." I said, trying not to sound too acidic.

The Chief was also trying not to break out into a laugh; I could see his mustaches twitching with merriment as I continued: "There's so many people going in and out of this pharmacy storage area that I doubt you'll be able to prove any one person did it. They've relied on this badge-entry system, but someone tried to take advantage of that to frame another person for the crime. I'd be looking for someone who has a grudge against Nurse Jones... who is black, by the way. I'd also consider the reason for stealing just one bottle of morphine at that particular time, instead of more than one at the time, and not stealing more over time. Have a good day, gentlemen, and be sure to make your way out of my County before dark, the Governor's interest in our working together notwithstanding."

With that, I turned on my heel and strode away, and Laura and the Chief did not catch up to me until I'd made it to my vehicle in the parking lot. I explained what I thought to them, and the Chief agreed to go with me to Dr. Wellman's office, with Laura calling ahead to make our appointment with the University's esteemed President.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I explained to Dr. Wellman and the Chief what had happened: "Coach Harlan's I.V. bag had a lot of morphine in it. I believe this was done with good intentions, to put the dying man out of his pain and end his suffering. I'm not interested in pursuing that case, either."

I added "Of course, this bottle of morphine disappearing from the Hospital is very, very likely what was put into Harlan's I.V. bag. Unless they're sharp and they look for it, I doubt the SBI is going to find out about that, though we're not concealing it at all. As to who stole the bottle, I'm curious but not really to the point of opening any past wounds by pursuing the case."

"What did you tell the SBI?" asked Wellman. "What do they know?"

"Well, Mr. President," I said, "I've given them an excellent clue to solving the case, but if word came down for them to drop it, I think they would. I'm sure you don't want any further problems, what with Coach Harlan dead and buried, and everyone from his family to the University and its athletic program wanting to move on."

"That's true, Commander." Dr. Wellman said, "and I do appreciate your coming to me and working with us over this. Mr. Wargrave was deeply... distressed... that you chose to arrest Coach Harlan for Derrick Belle's murder. I'll be sure to tell him of your cooperation here; it might mollify him."

"I think that's the least of his problems with me." I said, rather drily. "If there is nothing else, Dr. Wellman, I hope you'll excuse me. My team is working on a murder case and I need to check on their progress..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Nurse," said SBI Agent Grigsby to Nurse 'Ratchett', "the logs indicate you left the Hospital through the morgue exit instead of the regular exit on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Would you mind explaining that?"

"Oh, that." said 'Nurse Ratchett', pretending to be embarrassed. "It's rather embarrassing, now that you mention it. I got on the elevator and was thinking about something else, and I just hit the wrong button. When the doors opened I walked out, not looking, and I was on the basement floor. Rather than wait for the elevator to come back, I just went out the morgue exit."

"I see." said Grigsby. "Thank you for your help." With that he dismissed Nurse Ratchett back to her duties. "Doesn't seem to be anything in it. What do you think, Greenwalt?"

"I think that Iron Crowbar bastard is up a fucking tree." said Greenwalt. "We ought to be looking at this Nurse Jones. You know how Blacks are about drugs."

"She has an alibi that checks out." Grigsby said, saying nothing about Greenwalt's racist comment. "At the time her card was supposedly being used to get into the pharmacy, she was in sight of fifteen people at a restaurant, eating lunch with other nurses, and all of it on videotape. Also, the Iron Crowbar was right about that one. He was also right that an alert message fired to the guard desks at all the entrances, and they began checking bags."

"So what?" Greenwalt asked.

"It means this nurse that went out by the morgue entrance, which is not manned by guards, didn't have to have her bag checked. But unless we get proof of something, she's going to get away with it."

"I don't think she did anything." said Greenwalt. "I'm thinking we should thoroughly check out all the black employees. It's one of them, I'll bet." Getting no response, Greenwalt continued: "I'm serious. Want to bet a month's paycheck?"

"No, I don't bet." said Grigsby. He was already forming the letter in his head requesting a new partner...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy was sitting in the second bedroom of her townhouse, which she shared with her lover Jenna Stiles. She was wearing a light green teddy and her high heels, which she knew Jenna would like... and she had a suspicion that it would be a good idea for Jenna to see her like this.

She was doing classified research on a secure line, looking into the industrial espionage that had been going on. She was trying to trace a thread, a small one, that seemed to lead back to Barry Bounel and those designer drugs he had been found in possession of. There were indicators of Thaddeus Ward of Ward Harvester being involved, but Cindy could not yet make the connection between them.

She also could not understand what she was reading about Don's nephew Ned... and she was stunned at the quality and quality of what Ned had created and produced for the Agency before he went bad. In one way, it was a shame Ned had had to die; that great brain used for good might have brought the world many life-saving drugs...

The slamming of the door was her first clue that Jenna was home. The lovely redhead had stopped to have a few drinks on the way, but her mood was not improved. Cindy shut off the computer and went into the main room.

"Hi babe." she said. Jenna looked at her, anger still in her eyes. "How's it going?"

"I'll tell you how it's going." Jenna said angrily, letting off steam. "I got my ass reamed by Krasney today, and I mean totally chewed out until I have no ass left. Over Gor-don using the other office, of all the god-damn things. That bastard Washington..."

Cindy made a couple of drinks, handed one to Jenna, and sat down on the couch, showing off her legs as she invited Jenna to sit down with her.

"Well," Cindy said, "I tried to get that situation calmed down, but apparently it was past calming."

"Tell me..." Jenna said, staring accusingly at Cindy, "this was all set up by Commander Troy, wasn't it? Wasn't it? He wanted Gor-don out of that office, and he set this up with Krasney and Washington... didn't he?"

Cindy looked surprised, then her eyes hardened. "I don't know, Jenna, but I seriously doubt it. If the Iron Crowbar wanted Gor-don out of that office, he'd take his crowbar in there and pry the punk out physically. If Don has a weakness, it's that he doesn't play subtle; he's very direct and he takes action when he wants results. Don doesn't have time for shit games like that, especially not to kick Gor-don to the kerb."

Jenna stared at Cindy for what seemed like a long time, then exhaled as she relented, letting her eyes wander over the hot blonde's luscious body. "If you say so." the slender, sexy redhead said. "But why the fuck does everyone have such a problem with Gor-don? He does good work..."

"Some of it's his arrogant attitude," said Cindy, "but a lot of it is more the office itself. Lt. Perlman is about ready to smash down the walls to get more room in her shithole of an office, and I don't blame her. Tanya was yelling at the Commander about it the other day, loud enough for us to hear from outside. Seeing Gor-don get to use that office space is like waving a red cape in front of a bull for some people.

Cindy changed the subject, taking Jenna into her arms. "Now, let's talk about something else... about how good it's going to feel when I eat your pussy tonight."

"Mmmm, that's a nice subject..." Jenna said, sighing as she settled into Cindy's embrace...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Why, hello Mr. Wargrave." said SBI Director Jack Lewis, sitting behind his desk at his Midtown office. "I'm surprised to see you here."

"I wasn't expecting to come," said Wargrave, "but we both got phone calls this evening, so here I am."

"Yes sir." said Lewis. "The University President asked me to stay here and receive a guest, but he did not say it was a man of your stature-"

"Yes, thank you," said Wargrave, "but let's pass on the platitudes and get down to business. I want you to drop and close this business of the morphine disappearing from University Hospital."

"Sure, consider it done." said Lewis. "But I have to admit, I'm disappointed. It was a legitimate inroad into that bastard Griswold's county. His puppy dog, the Iron Crowbar, couldn't stand it that we were there, either."

"Griswold's retiring." said Wargrave. "Whatever your beef with him is, let it go. The Iron Crowbar is your real problem up there. I might even suggest you stay out of his way until things cool down. He is still pissed off about his house being burned down. Whoever did that did me no favors, either."

"By the way, and you can tell me its none of my business," said Lewis, "but why the University's interest in shutting this case down?"

"Ah, Director," said Wargrave, semi-jokingly, "you know the Iron Crowbar's methods. Use them! As a clue, I might suggest you think about the passing of the unfortunate Coach Brian Harlan..."

"Ahh..." said Lewis, "I do remember hearing something about the Medical Examiner up there finding morphine in the Coach's I.V. bag. The Police took statements, but my understanding is that they were pretty perfunctory and disinterested about it. So the University President wants that to just quietly go away..."

"And he's not the only one." said Wargrave. "I'm also interested in my School getting past everything to do with Brian Harlan. I am extremely saddened for the man and his family, but all of that stuff concerning the PEDs and your idiot agents planting them was a P.R. disaster. And that's why I want you, Director, and your Narcotics Task Force to give that County wide leeway. After that recent botched-up drug raid, where the Commander took his opportunity to rake your agents with machine gun fire, we have to let that boiling pot simmer down..."

"I understand, Mr. Wargrave." Lewis said. "I understand. By the way, what about the legislative battle next month? Time's starting to speed up on that..."

"Leave it to me." said Wargrave. "You'll still be Director of a powerful SBI... and your aspirations to Governor will be better than ever once all is said and done."

"Thank you, Mr. Wargrave." said Jack Lewis, hearing exactly what he wanted to hear. Wargrave got up, and after farewell pleasantries the ash-blonde billionaire was gone...

*****

To be continued.

Dear Readers, you have the clues to solve the mystery. Do you know who the perp is, and will the Team solve it also? Tune in next time for the answers.

The chronological order of my stories is as follows:

Todd & Melina series, Interludes 1-5, Sperm Wars series, Russian Roulette series, Case of the Murdered Lovers series, Case of the Murdered Chessplayer series, The Swap series, Interludes 6-10, The Murdered Football Player Series, Case of the Black Widow series, Teresa's Christmas Story, The Case of the Black Badge series, A Case of Revenge series, Teresa's Summer Race, The Trilogy series, Dark Side Of The Force series, Caught In The Act series, Case of the Murdered Bride series, The Credit Card Caper series, The Hot Wives Investment Club series, Seriously Inconvenienced, Ch. 1-5.