Child of the Theater

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I think that was lovely."

"Oh do you Rick? What a lovely thing to say to me. Must go, I'm at the theater and there's an urgent telephone call for me."

Two hours later Augustine called Rick.

"Hi, this is unbelievable. The Daily News in New York is sending a photographer and reporter to interview me on opening night and to report on the production."

"Wow, your big breakthrough and you're not quite left high school yet."

"I think that's partly the reason for this buzz. I've also taken a call from a TV station to film me talking to people coming out of the theater on Opening Night and they saying what they thought of the production, including comments of professional critics. Apparently that film clip is likely to go out on network TV."

"This is wonderful, I'm so happy for you Augustine."

"Thank you and thank you for your support. I have secured you four tickets sitting in the VIP row on opening night. You might like to be accompanied by your parents or at least another couple. Please don't come near me. I have no wish to meet your wife because that could change my mind about you seducing me."

"Perhaps it's only right you mind should be changed."

"Naughty boy Rick. What is right?"

Augustine laughed and cut the call, leaving Rick to ponder her final comment.

* * *

The management of Palladium Theater held an emergency meeting to consider the latest developments.

The production of 'The Enchanting Misfit' was scheduled to run on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and was already booked out.

Tony Soper, the theater trust chairman had arrived to chair the meeting called to discuss the looming crisis. He said, "We are over a barrel over this. What was authorized as part of our experimental theater program is running away on us. The press is coming from New York for opening night and I am told the interview with our juvenile playwright is likely to go on national network TV. My god, has the world gone mad!"

Tony took a sip of water. "Status report please Elizabeth."

The front-of-house manager cleared her throat. "Tuesday and Wednesday nights are booked out."

"What, that's a total of 1340 seats sold?"

"Yes Tony, but that's why I asked for this emergency meeting. "We have a waiting list for almost 800 more seats and opening night is still twelve days away."

"Ah Tony."

"Yes Elizabeth," he snapped.

"That's not all. An hour ago I received a call from the personal assistant of the managing partner of our theater's law firm, Henderson-Fleming Law, that all the law firms in the city have people wanting to see the play because its being staged for a worthy charity. Apparently there are many people who remember Pauline way back when she was on the stage. I've since received a check for 392 tickets."

"Jesus. Why this interest from law firms?"

"It seems our juvenile playwright has her own attorney and he is a partner in Henderson-Fleming Law and volunteered to pin up a notice in the law firm's café to solicit attendance. Obviously it took off from there."

"This is a disaster," Tony panicked. "We have sold out for our new play on the Saturday night following and I understand fewer than fifty seats are left on any night of its run in the following week. What is happening?"

Lisa said, "We close for the summer in four weeks and our loyal patrons are getting their diet of culture to take them through the summer recess."

"Well there could be some truth in that. Lisa, help me out here. What do we do?"

"It's easy Tony, a management problem to solve. We put those law people into the theatre on Friday, then fill available seats from the waiting list and offer the overflow the chance to see the play at a Saturday matinee. I've spoken to our stage manager. Archie has spoken to his people and he came back with the answer. Tell us the outcome Archie."

Archie said, "Well it was a 100% vote to support the two extra nights and the matinee Tony. We all loved Pauline Jarosinski and were shocked by her premature death."

Tony said quietly, "Archie, you are attending rehearsals of 'The Enchanting Misfit' of course. Now take this carefully, you have been in theater longer than anyone of us in this room. What is your honest opinion? If this play bombs we'll be hugely embarrassed and I mean hugely."

"So you want my learned and honest opinion?"

"Yes please."

"Sorry Lisa, I'm being asked to stick me nose in where it shouldn't be. In my opinion you guys have absolutely nothing to worry about. That's all I wish to say."

Tony has something of a smile returning. "Okay Lisa. Please answer that same question."

"We have a little ripper of a play on our hands. I can assure you this is no way experimental theater and the cast is having a ball and in the words of our juvenile playwright, 'God they are all so good'. Oh we have over-spent budget on sets."

"By how much?"

"Two hundred bucks."

"Archie spend up to another five hundred making improvements. I really don't know what I'm talking about but I know have a good feeling about this show. Elizabeth tell your team to take no more bookings."

"That's already been done Tony but well still run a waiting list of hopefuls and fill the house for that matinee."

"Well thanks for your attendance everyone," Tony smiled. "This is why we all love theater isn't it? One never knows what to expect."

Tony followed Lisa into her office and asked to read the script of Augustine's play.

"Here's a spare copy. Take it home and read."

"No I'll read it in the café."

"You can read it here if you wish. I'm due to watch rehearsals in a few minutes. If you get through it in one hit come down and tell me what you think."

* * *

Tony arrived as those in the cast needed for this rehearsal were disbanding. He found Lisa with Augustine and went up to Augustine and kissed her.

"What was that for?"

"I always have the urge to kiss pretty girls," he chuckled. "No, I just wanted to be the first to acknowledge a budding famous playwright."

"Well it's a lost kiss. I wish to act, not write. I wrote this play to enhance my chances of gaining acceptance to the drama school of my choice in New York."

"I understand only a minority of applicants gain admission."

Augustine nodded. "So I thought writing a play might help convince them I have a place in their school."

"Great thinking. Look I have some influential contacts..."

Augustine shook her head. "That's a lovely offer Tony but if they fail to see my talent or have no need for it in their school, then that school is not for me."

"But Augustine..."

Lisa intervened. "Leave it Tony. Augustine is an innocent and sees not need for the greasing of palms to put it crudely. If she does it her way she'll stand out and be recognized for what she is."

"Someone with star quality?"

"If she comes to the notice of the right people yes."

CHAPTER 2

There was a huge air of expectation in the theater as the lights dimmed and finally extinguished and a spotlight hit the center the stage. Against the curtain stood a lithe blonde, hair piled high and tightly clad in a tight shiny gold dress, ending mid-thigh. She wore gold strap shoes with glass heels.

"Good evening everyone, I'm Augustine Jack."

The applause was huge.

When it died Augustine said, "Thank you for coming here tonight in honor of my late mother Pauline Jarosinski, who was principal director here when she died from complications arising from influenza just over a year ago. Profits from this production will go into a trust fund to assist youngster of solo parents who wish to come here to learn about theater, taking part in out activities."

More applause.

"I wrote this play because I soon graduated from high school and felt I wished to leave something of me behind in this theater when I leave it in a month's time. I didn't wish to be remembered as just a pretty face."

Laughter.

"This is the story about the father I never knew and my mother only knew him for thirteen weeks before he disappeared from her life. So this story is from my imagination about who was my father and what happened to him. I've spent my entire life living in the loft above the storeroom of this theater and I act and aspire to become a professional actress. So can an aspiring actress write? You are about to find out."

Long laughter.

"I wish to thank the trust and the management of the Palladium Theater for providing the use of their theater for my play and full cooperation in setting up the fund. I was told agreeing to my requests was no problem because everyone had loved my mother."

"Now perhaps the bad news. I didn't ask for it... it was offered to me despite being a no-no in theater. Management appointed me, the playwright, as director of this production. Lisa my guardian succeeded my mother as principal director here and she has faithfully stood by to offer assistance, but only if I asked for it and that wasn't often because I just knew what to do. I have had the run of this theater ever since I could walk. Now let's honor my mother. Thank you."

Augustine waved and to a standing ovation walked off into the wing.

Rick, sitting with his wife Stephanie on VIP row said to the wife of the Mayor sitting beside him, "Wasn't she great?"

"Oh she's such a darling," said Mrs Foster and Mayor Foster leant around his wife and said, "If that is typical of our upcoming generation there's hope for America."

Rick said to Stephanie, "Well?"

"Your youngest client will make you very proud tonight darling. I feel it in my bones."

* * *

The play was a 13-week love story full of humor, tenderness, drama and pathos, build round a new Polish immigrant called Eugene Ejack, a thin guy, lean and lanky who struggled to make himself understood until he stepped on stage. He'd learned his lines and had been coached by his lover, the director, to speak his dialogues in impeccable English and his voice was strong and richly resonant that filled the theatre with ease. He'd been raised in theater in Poland and required only minimal direction. Audiences loved him and so did his benefactor, the lovely woman called Pauline Jarosinski.

The final scene was very short. It showed an older Eugene reading on a bed to two children, a girl and a younger boy. A woman, presumably his wife stood behind them in the doorway.

"Tell us our favorite story daddy about when you arrived in America."

"Aw you don't want to hear that old story again do you Pauline?"

"Yes daddy, don't we Ronnie?"

"Yes daddy, and tell us in that funny voice as the pretty lady in the blue dress with a red ribbon in her hair asked you had you been an actor in Poland."

* * *

Curtain fall produced a standing ovation and the audience remained standing and clapping as the principals returned to the empty stage in ones and twos until all the cast was back on stage and they waved as final curtain was called.

Rick cupped his hands to his mouth and yelled, "Author, author!" and the cry was taken up and filled the auditorium.

The curtain lifted again and Augustine loped on stage holding hands with two other people.

The applause died and she said, "Thank you everyone. Your applause has so moved all of us. This man is Tony Soper, chairman of our theater trust, who made tonight possible by sanctioning this fund-raising effort. It was supposed to run two nights as part of our experimental theater program but it's run away on us. We now have full houses for two more nights and will stage a matinee on Saturday to take the overflow. This has been a truly wonderful, wonderful response from our community."

Huge applause.

"That this lady," Augustine continued, is my leading light, the lady who stepped into my late mother's shoes in more ways that one. This is my guardian and this theater's principle director, Miss Lisa Cobb. Thank you everyone and good night.

The TV team was in action in the foyer. Celebrity interviewer Nellie Long presented her opening and begun asking emerging patrons what they had thought of the show. Comments included, "We rather liked it," "Awesome," and "I enjoyed it immensely" to "It's unbelievable that a 17-year-old could write and produce drama like that and I ought to know. I have taught high school drama for twenty-three years and was a former amateur actress of some note."

"Oh here is the young lady of the moment," Nellie said, and the cameras swung to record the arrival of Augustine.

"This is juvenile playwright Augustine Jack, who has just directed the opening night cast presenting her play, 'The Enchanting Misfit'.

"Briefly what is the storyline darling?"

"About my father who I never met, a new immigrant from Poland, who courted and loved my mother during the thirteen weeks he played a supporting part in a play under my mother's direction."

"Oh yes, so sad. I watched tonight's presentation and at times I wept."

"That's only because you were meant to; the story was pitched that way."

"But you presented him as a hero."

"I have no memory of him so I was at liberty to fill in the gaps to make a cohesive story that I shall always remember fondly."

"So you mother died just over a year ago and the proceeds are to establish a trust fund in memory of your mother to assist juvenile actors who come to your Palladium Theater to acquire their first taste of theater?"

"Just the profits will go to that fund..."

"Correction ladies, I'm Tony Soper, chairman of the trust board. We have just had an emergency trust board meeting and have decided the gross proceeds of the four-night run of this show and Saturday's matinee will go into the memorial fund."

"Oh Tony," Augustine said, bursting into tears and throwing her arms around him.

"Well folk, we're out of time. What a remarkable young orphan this Augustine Jack is. I suggest you remember her name because she will become someone. I'll bet big on that. This is Nellie Long, signing off from the Palladium Theater in Ashburton City, Pennsylvania. We had such a hard time finding this city because none of my crew nor I had ever heard of Ashburton City."

Augustine thanked Nellie and was about to be taken away to be interviewed by newspaper reporters when a very attractive raven-haired woman in white touch Augustine on the upper and said, "Augustine, wait for ten seconds. I just want to say you are amazing. You gave me the best modern theatre experience I've ever had."

"Why thank you."

"I'm Stephanie Reid."

"Rick wife? Ohmigod, you are so beautiful. How nice to meet you."

"Thank you my dear. I must let you go."

A large photo of Stephanie talking to Augustine with the crowd milling behind them appeared on the front page of the Daily Record next morning. It was a beautiful photo of lively interaction caught on camera. The heading over the report was, 'Young Playwright Hailed' and that pretty much summed up media reviews.

The opening night party was still roaring away when Augustine went around everyone saying good night and bright-eyed Lisa was in a bit of a huddle with the male lead who'd played Augustine's father. Augustine kissed them both and whispered to Lisa, "I'll sleep on the spare bed down in the store. Have a beautiful night."

* * *

Unable to sleep Augustine first thought about Roland and Lisa. Roland was a divorcee and very unhappy but he looked fine tonight as if discovering well there was something he could do well and succeed with. She could tell by the way Lisa had been looking at Roland since he'd come on to the scene that given half the chance Lisa would be all over him.

Augustine asked herself would her mother have been proud of her daughter tonight and smiled the answer through her tears. Pauline had been all about theater, taking her first walk-on role at the Palladium when she was six. Pauline had been in a hurry to introduce her daughter to the stage and had Augustine written in as a crying baby when Augustine was two months old and she had cried right on cue when the leading lady suddenly pulled the blanket off baby Augustine.

She thought of all the people who'd passed through her theater life as far back as her memory would take her and realized one day she'd write a novel based on her life and the amazing influence her mother had had on her life. Her mother had even shifted Augustine to a different grade school to be in a class with a male teacher, fearful of Augustine growing up as a mommy's girl. But she needed have worried. If the young girl ever needed to cry on the shoulder of a father-like figure she ran to Archie.

"Ohmigod, Archie has always acted as my surrogate father, well in a very small way, never intruding," Augustine said aloud, amazed at this sudden revelation. Why hadn't she seen it before? She had known of course after Archie's marriage broke up he and her mother had had a high-charged love affair over a couple of years because people were still talking about it when she was nine or ten. No one could tell her why they'd broken up. Perhaps it was time to ask Archie now remarried to a docile woman who ran the theater café. Perhaps the best way to handle this would be to ask Archie to write everything he could remember about her mother, warts and all, because one day she would attempt to write a novel based on the life of her mother. And yes, she would ask him to write all about their love affair... everything because modern novels required sex scenes. And yes, she would ask him to write about his relationship with Pauline after the breakup and then why despite the tension he had acted so kindly to Augustine after her mother's death.

"Yes, tell me everything Archie. Please. Yes that's what I'll ask."

It was almost 1:00 and her phone went. Who the hell was calling her at this time of night... a newspaper reporter?

She looked at the screen and smiled.

"Hi are you calling to wake me up to ask if I'm happily asleep?"

"What?"

"Gee Rick, why is it half the things I say to you appear rather complicated to you? For Christ sake Rick, you are a supposedly learned attorney."

"Augustine, watch your language. You are a minor so I try to watch what I say to you as you tend to speak in a loaded manner."

"Never heard of it. What's a loaded manner?"

"Some of your utterances come attached with possible alternative meanings."

"I see so you think entrapment. Should I switch to another attorney?"

"No for goodness sake Augustine, don't over-react."

"Are we rowing?"

Rick sucked in breath. "Oh Christ, it looks that way doesn't it."

"Watch your language Rick, you are speaking to a young lady."

He laughed and said, "I was finishing some work and remembered you'd instructed me to keep away from you. I just had to call to say your work showed a maturity well beyond your years and although I found your dramatic intent rather convoluted at times it all came together to be nicely rounded and packaged and left me feeling I'd been taken through one of life's experiences. I was left thinking and have to say I enjoyed it immensely."

"Christ Rick, that's going rather overboard for you. I now suspect as a guy you might be in possession of a brain."

"Ha-ha. I just wanted to share my thoughts with you after I spent ninety minutes tonight sharing your thoughts. Just a minute, I'll close the door."

"I'll now say something that has been troubling me every since I first met you."

"Okay shoot; I'm a big girl now Rick."

"You mightn't like it."

"So?"

"I once spent two weekends up at the lake with your mother."

"So?"

"You don't appear to understand. I meant sexually and it was when my wife was in late pregnancy with our first child."

"Thanks for telling me Rick. I wondered if you two had done it."

"What?"

"Oh dear, here we go again..."

"You knew?"

"No Rick, I didn't know but I suspected because I was aware of two things. My mother had that affect on men and I was aware you appeared very fond of my mother and I saw you crying at the graveside."