Chords that Bind Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Cecilia swallowed and pulled away from James. "Oh, we're not..." But the man had already left.

***

Clara decided that Cecilia needed more fun in her life. At the same time, she decided James needed to forgive himself and rejoin humanity. The ballet was hosting a post-performance reception at Guy Savoy and all the company members and their families were invited. This was the perfect opportunity to encourage Cecilia and James to come out of their shells. Clara was forming a cunning plan.

***

James hated these sort of things... No, he didn't hate the idea per se, but pre-arranged, work-related, cocktail parties usually had some sort of friction or awkwardness.

Clara was unique in the dance community. She wasn't dramatic or attention-hungry like many other dancers. James found that attitude wearying in the small population of world-class artists who usually attended these things. At least James knew how to handle these people, and had a reputation in the community that preceded him; Abe felt entirely like a fish out of water. He was married to Clara, and James was his best mate, but Abe's appreciation for dance and classical music was based on his relationships rather than a burning passion of his own. Perhaps that was key to the delicate synthesis the three maintained. Regardless, Abe would have been more at home with a pint of bitter and some bangers and mash at the pub.

Clara was the belle of the ball tonight. The artistic director, the choreographer in residence, the principal dancers, all invited Clara into their exclusive fold. For once, Abe didn't have to awkwardly answer questions about his job, or pretend to have profound thoughts on obscure dance pieces: He was perfectly at home with Clara on his arm getting the attention she had earned after decades of hard work. He beamed and was quite content to sip at his beer and play dutiful husband for once. Lord knows, Clara had been enormously supportive and he was happy he could do the same thing for her.

James camped out at the bar. He handed the bartender a twenty-pound note. "Lagavullen neat. Keep it open." From this vantage point at the bar, James could stay inconspicuous. He was avoiding lots of people. He needed to maintain distance from Cecilia, but he also wanted space from a few people he knew at the Royal Ballet; one development coordinator always wanted him to play the piano for a benefit performance, and some of the dancers tried to cross wits with him, believing James to be too conservative with his ideas about music and dance. He inhaled the peaty liquor and hoped to God he would be left in peace.

Clara had never been so popular at these functions. She knew that it likely would not last, but she intended to enjoy her success while it lasted. Usually, no one paid this much attention to a soloist, but Hilary Strand and Sebastian Echeverria, both principals, were chatting with her as if she was one of them. Clara frowned to see Cecilia standing conspicuously alone by some flower arrangements. The vivid blue of her dress gave her away; there was no possibility Cecilia could blend in the way she looked tonight. Enjoying having a coterie of people looking to her, Clara decided to use the newfound popularity to do Cecilia some good.

She interrupted the self-congratulatory nature of the conversation around her. "You've all met my friend Cecilia, yes?"

"Si, por sopuesto. She's been to rehearsals." Sebastian responded. His eyebrows lifted as his gaze travelled to Cecilia.

"I was going to have her join us." Clara moved to lead the group over to Cecilia, when someone tapped her on the shoulder. The artistic director was behind her. "Clara," he cleared his throat, "I have someone you should talk to... you know Diana Shiley?"

Diana Shiley was one of the biggest benefactors of the ballet. Her opinions and thoughts about the direction of the company were taken very seriously. That the artistic director wanted Clara to speak with Ms. Shiley was rather portentous. Maybe more good things were coming her way.

Sebastian beamed at her, revealing teeth that were almost too white. "Well, Clara you go and chat with Ms. Shiley. We'll keep Cecilia company." Sebastian had admired "Clara's shadow," Cecilia, from afar. Tonight she looked most tempting.

Cecilia watched the graceful approach of the two dancers. Hilary seemed to waft over, as if floating Cecilia's way, while Sebastian made purposeful strides towards her. He had an uncanny ability to always maintain a virulent masculinity in his dancing, even though ballet leaned towards the effeminate. He had ease and comfort in his gait, completely in control and at home in his body. The Spanish danseur had spoken to her a few times at the rehearsals she visited. He often danced shirtless. From a distance, Cecilia had appreciated and admired his tanned physique and dexterous strength.

A safe distance away at the bar, James noticed the flamboyant Spaniard saunter up to the sapphire-clad Cecilia. The waifish ballerina that was with them did nothing to alleviate James instincts. Sebastian was too close to Cecilia. Yes, he was definitely invading her personal space. Where was Clara? Someone should be there to look out for Cecilia.

As he wondered about Clara's whereabouts, Abe approached James at the bar. Abe seemed to be practically jolly. "Clara's doing very well it seems."

"Indeed." James barely looked at his best mate. He was too busy watching Sebastian flirting with Cecilia. The other dancer seemed to be encouraging him.

"Wells Bombardier please," Abe ordered. "I reckon Clara just might have pushed her career into hyper drive tonight. I wish she had let us in on the secret though."

"Mmm... perhaps..."

"I may have to take that in hand later..." Abe expected his friend to make a sly comment, or at least smile knowingly. James didn't even respond. Abe looked to see what had caught his best friend's attention. "It's good to see Cecilia coming out of her shell more. Seems like she's making friends."

James sniffed. "I'm not sure Don Juan over there has friendship in mind..."

Abe cocked an eyebrow, took a long draw of his bitter and steeled himself for what he was about to say. "And, if he is? I recall you saying you had no intentions as far as Cecilia's concerned."

"I haven't. That doesn't mean I like the look of his intentions."

"It would appear that Cecilia might not mind."

Cecilia was laughing at something the Spaniard said. James scowled. That one spent too much time on his appearance. His long hair was tied back with a ribbon of all things, and he had spent some serious time and energy whitening his teeth. Most women found Sebastian devastatingly handsome; James found the man shallow and self-serving. And now he was tucking a lock of Cecilia's hair behind her ear.

James entire bearing tightened. He didn't know where Clara was, and it was unfair of him to think of her as Cecilia's chaperone, but someone should be on the watch for Cecilia. He drained the scotch, turned to the bartender. "Two flutes of Mumm please."

"Right away Sir."

The champagne glittered in the crystal flutes. Abraham gave James an amused look, that James choose not to remark upon. It was merely a protective maneuver, to make sure that the Spanish dancer didn't cause any further damage to Cecilia. She'd been through so much already because of James' foolhardiness. James wasn't about to let any further harm happen on his watch. On his approach, James groaned inwardly as he heard Sebastian over-emphasize the roll in his "r's", playing up his accent as he spoke to Cecilia.

"...I think you would really enjoy the food and atmosphere. But how rude of me!" The Spaniard continued, "Can I get you a drink?

Cecilia was fumbling for words when James answered for her. "I'm afraid I've already seen to it, Sergio." He handed Cecilia the flute, placing himself between the over-confident Spaniard and the angel he needed to protect. It was an overt display, but James found he couldn't care less.

"It's Sebastian, actually." Sebastian corrected James, detecting the slight for what it was, even if Cecilia hadn't caught it.

"Right, sorry." James willed Sebastian to take his dismissal. Turning to Cecilia he whispered with warmth into her ear. "It's champagne. Cheers!"

"Huzah!" Cecilia whispered conspiratorially back, happy to have something as simple as an inside joke with her rescuer. James relaxed some now that had inserted himself between Cecilia and Sebastian's questionable intentions. He clinked his glass with Cecilia, feeling a bit smug.

Hilary introduced herself and conversation returned to the usual "Did you enjoy the performance?" and other thinly-veiled attempts at fishing for complements. James had never been more relieved to be caught in a meaningless conversation. Cecilia honestly seemed to be enjoying the evening, and James found a contented pleasure in viewing the event through her un-jaded perspective. He mentioned his appreciation for the ballet's music, and Cecilia asked about the score, the conversation becoming more intimate as they strayed into James' area of expertise. James felt more in control with Cecilia distracted away from Sebastian. Her honest interest and curiosity in music made her that much more engaging. Even though James had made himself Cecilia's self-appointed chaperone, he couldn't help but assert his own desire to have her all to himself.

Sebastian hadn't given up though. Apparently James had interrupted a dinner invitation.

"Cecilia, you must not toy with my emotions... Won't you say 'yes' and join me for that wine dinner? It's at Pizzaro." He indicated the glass Cecilia was sipping from, "If you like champagne, you'll adore cava. It doesn't give you a headache like the French bubbly." He smiled charmingly as he gave James a look that a matador gives to a bull.

James held his breath as Cecilia swallowed, blushed and managed to say, "I'll have to think about it. It does sound lovely though." She felt weird having this conversation while James was there. James, for his part, squeezed a fist in triumph behind his back. Cecilia had opted for a polite letdown

Sebastian persisted. "Por favor muñeca."

Wanting to end the conversation while James was there, Cecilia nodded, "Okay, okay. Sería mi gusto." Cecilia could sense James next to her as she agreed to Sebastian's invitation, but tried to ignore the stabbing pain that had hoped to have an invitation from James instead.

Sebastian flashed his overly white smile at Cecilia and James. Hilary started gushing about a vegan tapas bar she had recently visited, and the tension eased in the little group as the subject changed.

***

Clara leaned her head against Abraham's shoulder, enjoying the small intimacy amidst the hyper-social gathering. They were at the bar, momentarily removed from the rest of the fray. But Clara watched her plan unfold as Sebastian and James each sought to catch and maintain Cecilia's attention. Clara smiled at Abraham's closeness, crossing her fingers that her plan worked. She sighed, giving the tiniest voice to her anxiousness. Abraham noticed.

"What's wrong sweetness?"

"Nothing love. Just enjoying the moment."

"I'm so happy for you. Do you think there's more to come?"

"Ms. Shiley seemed to think so. I hope she's right..." Clara sounded wistful.

"There is one little matter we need to settle." Abraham suddenly sounded businesslike.

"What's that?"

"I think Alice was very naughty getting into so much trouble in Wonderland. Don't you?" She felt a firm squeeze to her bum.

Clara gasped, but Abe was all smiles. When she didn't respond Abe taunted her further. "And I think Clara wasn't on her best behavior... keeping news like that a secret from me." Clara bit her bottom lip, trying not to beam while her dominant husband was pretending to be serious.

"And, I'm curious if you were planning on telling me that you were setting Cecilia up?"

Oh dear. That one was a bit more serious. Clara decided to wait to see how much of her plan Abraham had divined. "What do you mean?"

"Now's no time to be coy. Look over there."

Clara looked in the direction in which Abe had nodded his head. James was on Cecilia's right, and Sebastian was on her left, the two each trying to gain access to her personal space. Hilary seemed put out to be left out of the game, struggling to reassert her presence with the two handsome men who had eyes only for Cecilia. Cecilia didn't seem to enjoy the attention as much.

Clara looked up at Abraham through her downcast lashes. "I was only trying to help Cecilia."

Abe smirked. "With whom were you setting her up?"

It seemed like it was confession time. "Either one?" Clara said quietly. When Abe remained silent, Clara explained further. "Cecilia needs to get out more, make some friends. She shouldn't have to stay at home all the time. I thought it'd be good for her. Honestly. She needs to get used to being around people again. And..."

"And...?" Abraham probed.

"Maybe James needed a kick in the pants. Don't tell me he doesn't have any interest in her."

"So you decided to set Cecilia up to make James, our James, my brother, jealous?"

"That's about the gist of it." Clara tried to sound strong as she admitted her devious plan.

"Clara!" Abraham was shocked at her scheming. It was so manipulative and not in Clara's nature at all. Clara at least, had the grace to pretend to look penitent. "What am I going to do with you?"

"Wait to see if it worked?" Clara suggested hopefully.

Abraham sighed and looked back over to his best friend and the vibrant girl they had so recently rescued. "Let's salvage the evening while I puzzle out what to do with you." He gave Clara a spank on her bottom and they went to rejoin James and Cecilia. "Well don't you two look cozy over here," Clara said. She had intentionally left the second individual ambiguous, but Clara saw Cecilia's eyes flash towards James. "How's it going?"

"Muy bien, Clara." Sebastain had clearly been under the impression that she had been addressing him, "How was your chat with Ms. Shiley?"

"Very pleasant, but probably not as stimulating as what you've been discussing."

"No. Perhaps not. Cecilia has just agreed to have dinner with me, so I do believe I'm having all the fun." Cecilia nodded and blushed.

Clara was encouraged to see the plan working. Whatever happened, Cecilia was going to at least start interacting with more people since her ordeal. "Where are you going?" Clara probed further.

Abraham saw James clench his jaw. This meddling had gone too far, regardless of Clara's intentions. To set his friend at ease, he went to Cecilia on the pretext of taking her empty glass, returning with it replenished and flanking her other side creating more distance between Cecilia and Sebastian. Abe gave Clara a stern look. She swallowed and dropped that line of conversation. Maybe she had needed a more cunning plan.

Eventually, Sebastian left. Having secured the promise of seeing Cecilia again, he withdrew from the knot of people with an extra lift in his gait. Hilary soon politely made her exit. James was frustrated. Every time he tried to refocus the conversation, Sebastian managed to steer the discussion back to himself. James had had enough and was relieved to see the back of the Spaniard. He was quite ready to go home.

It had been a rollercoaster of an evening. Cecilia examined the turn of events in the car as they drove home. She admitted to herself that she was rather pleased with how everything had turned out. She hadn't made a fool of herself, her new best friend had danced magnificently, and someone as self-possessed as Sebastian Echevarria had asked her out to dinner! In the safety of her mind, she allowed herself the luxury of thinking that she may have even cut a good figure at the after-party. The only flaw had been that it had been Sebastian, and not James, who had flirted with her. But James had been by her side for most of the evening and didn't seem to mind her. They had spoken and laughed... Both of them tacitly agreed not to mention the incident. She shouldn't hope for more. For tonight, it was enough.

Clara spent the short car ride home wondering what Abe had in store for her. James' brooding silence was palpable to both Clara and Abraham. They both knew him well enough to know that he was exerting heavy thought to the evening's events. Clara hadn't counted on James becoming this consumed by someone else expressing interest in Cecilia. This was bad. She hadn't meant to cause him pain... just to push him a bit.

When they arrived back at the townhouse, James rounded the car to help Cecilia out.

She nearly forgot to breathe when he offered his arm to walk her back inside.

Maybe it was foolhardy to be in such proximity to Cecilia, but James felt he could maintain control. Besides, after such strain had been put on his self-control tonight, he wanted to prove that he could still be a gentleman.

"That dress is quite becoming on you. You look lovely tonight." He had been wanting to tell her that all night. "Thank you for coming and sharing a drink with me. I don't usually have that much fun at those sort of things."

"No. Thank you... James."

Once inside, James gave Cecilia's hand a gentle pat. For a moment, Cecilia thought she saw a look cross James' face, as if he were going to say something, but he merely unwound his arm from her grasp and gave her a bow, the perfect gentleman. How her heart ached for there to be something more between them.

Clara started for the stairs when Abe clasped her wrist. His voice was low in her ear. "You know where and how I want you... I'll be up soon." The playfulness from earlier had evaporated into a tangible heat wherever his eyes gazed on her. Clara shivered. She scurried up the steps to their room, flashing a backward glance at Abraham, who still did not seem amused.

James leaned against the doorjamb that connected his study to the foyer. He watched Clara climb the stairs behind Cecilia. He didn't like to intrude on Clara and Abraham's relationship. It was something he took great care to respect.

After he was sure Clara was out of earshot, James broke into Abe's lust-filled line of thought. "A word Abe?"

"Yes." Abe nodded soberly. James eschewed the formality of his study and moved to the den, pulling his tie loose and shrugging his jacket off. "Where do I begin James?"

"How about telling me that you had nothing to do with that?"

"With what?"

"Clara was baiting me, Abe. And I don't know if it was for my benefit or that damn Fabio-wannabe's."

"Ah... that... well, James I'm seeing to it as we speak. And no, I had nothing to do with it. When I saw what she was playing at, it was too late to tactfully stop it. You'll notice that I did try to create some distance for you both."

"I thought so." James settled onto one of the couches, debating if he could pour himself a nightcap.

Abraham settled that question quickly, by digging a dusty bottle of brandy out from behind a bookshelf cabinet. James grimaced at the familiarity between the two of them. He was never able to keep much hidden from Abe. The man just knew him too well.

Abe left to get some snifters, and returned, pouring James an extra finger of brandy. "Here, you need it."

"Thanks." James said, inhaling the heady scent and taking a sip as he listened.

"James, you know I'm sorry for what Clara was trying to do. I know how you feel about Cecilia. It's no big secret. She was only trying to help, but she never should've meddled."

James was tight-lipped. "Come off it James! You could cut the tension between you and Cecilia with a knife. It's okay to admit it..."