Clipped Wings

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

John stated. He had been beating himself up inside for the better part of the day for not paying more attention. He almost got himself and his entire squad killed.

"No sense in blaming yourself." Ross said as comfortingly as he could. "We all should have seen it coming, but no one did. These things happen John. We can't be everywhere at once. That's something I've learned in my time."

Ross's words did make John feel a little better, but he would still continue to beat himself up later anyways. That's just how he was. The two sat and talked until an orderly came by and asked John to leave so Ross could get some sleep. He decided to head back to the 105th's common room. He found Neal, Johan and Billy sitting at one of the rooms tables, glasses in hand and a nondescript bottle of clear something on the table.

He was quickly beckoned over. Where upon sitting down a glass was shoved in his hands and liquid was poured. John could smell the vodka almost before it hit his glass. This was a normal ritual after a successful op. For a night the company officers turned a blind eye, however it was still on the men to limit themselves. They still had to get up in the morning, and if anyone missed role call there would be hell to pay.

"A toast." Neal proposed. "To another successful kicking of the shit out of some 'Have' scum. May they burn in hell."

"And to comrades fallen in battle." Johan made sure to add.

"Yes," Neal replied back. "May they find eternal joy in removing xeno scum in the afterlife."

Glasses were touched and shots taken. Neal poured a tiny bit of alcohol on the floor. A symbol of sharing a drink with the departed. John eased back in the chair he was sitting on and put his glass on the table. It was good to be back. The moment didn't last however. It never seemed to.

"So Baird." He could hear Neal start up. "You gonna tell us what happened last night or what?"

John chuckled. He supposed there was no getting out of it this time. He leaned forward in his chair, causing the others to do the same.

"So I was just in the common area about to leave when I heard this noise coming from down the dorm hall..."

End