Coming of Age Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Khrystyne
Khrystyne
18 Followers

"Keep looking me in the eyes. Don't look away. Feel my body move, and follow my movements. Don't fight against me, just flow with me like water."

Rowan did as he asked and soon she was easily keeping pace with him. Her body became attuned to the small shifts in his weight and was able to follow his movements effortlessly.

Other couples had joined them, but Rowan took no notice. It was as if Rhys were the only other person in the room. Soon she was laughing and breathless, but she never took her eyes from Rhys. When Rhys quit moving, she realized the music had stopped. The outside world flooded back in, making Rowan feel as if a spell had been broken. He bowed to her, and she curtsied in return. He walked her back to the dais to await her next admirer.

As they walked, Rowan felt conflicted. She had never felt attracted to Rhys, but she desperately wanted to dance with him again. She knew it would be considered un-lady like, but she decided she would request another dance with him. Looking at the group of admirers waiting on her return, she decided she better ask before they got there. Most of those men looked to be of the same age as her father! She had to do something, fast.

"Rhys, stop a moment. I need to talk to you." She requested.

Rhys stopped and looked at her. He was almost afraid of what she was going to say next.

"I know you are a good friend to my brother, and I hate to inconvenience you, but could you please help me this evening?"

Rhys felt his heart skip a beat. He willed himself to breathe as he replied as calmly as he could, 'Anything to help the sister of my dear friend. What do you desire?"

"I have no intention of becoming engaged this evening. None of these men even know me, let alone love or respect me. I prefer not to get their hopes up. Would it be too much to ask to have you dance with me a few more times throughout the night to give them the impression that I favor you, and vice versa, to keep the hounds at bay. I hate to ask you to pretend to be interested in me, but it would certainly be better than having them paw all over me all night."

Did Rhys dare play along with her ruse? How would the Barclays feel when they realized he had no intention of offering for her hand? This could be a dangerous game, but looking into her eyes he could not refuse her.

"It would be my honor, my lady. How often shall we dance?"

"I would prefer every dance be with you, but I'm sure father would object. Can you be at my side for every fourth song? I can feign a need for rest as well, which will limit the numbers I need dance with. Is this agreeable to you?"

Rhys would have gladly danced every song with her, but she was right about her father.

"I find this agreeable. I will be back in three songs." He walked her the remaining distance to the dais and kissed her hand as they parted.

****

Rowan had a plan. She finally figured out how she would keep her father from accepting offers for her hand. She needed to talk to Anna. She took her father's arm after Rhys turned away and whispered in his ear.

"Father, I need to catch my breath and quench my thirst. Please explain to the next gentleman that I need to sit this one out, but I will be ready for the next song."

With that, she turned and walked to Anna's table without waiting for a reply.

Anna had a look of concern as she saw Rowan coming her way.

"What are you thinking? You can't just walk away like that!" Anna exclaimed.

"Don't worry, I told father I need a small break and a drink. I had to speak to you. I have figured out a solution to my problem! Sit and listen, I must be quick."

Anna listened as Rowan explained the details of her plan.

"He agreed to feign interest for tonight. If I can get him to continue the ruse for a few weeks that may give me time to court a man of my choosing and decide who I want to marry. Then we can stop the charade and I will explain to father that we had a falling out. It's perfect! Father would never accept an offer from someone else if he believed Rhys to be interested."

"Are you sure he will agree?" Anna asked

"Of course he will. I won't demand that he stop his roguish behavior with other women. What do I care who he ruts with. As long as he can keep it hidden from my father and convince him he is interested in me, everything should work out fine. I just have to make sure Tristan agrees to go along with it as well. He could ruin everything if he let slip about some of their exploits in front of father."

"It sounds like it may work. You better hurry back, your father looks irritated. The song is almost over."

Rowan drank down a glass of champagne and hurried back to her father with a large smile on her face. She was positive her plan would work.

Khrystyne
Khrystyne
18 Followers
12