All Comments on 'Contractually Obligated Pt. 02'

by DoxyTrainer

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
jpz007ahrenjpz007ahrenalmost 9 years ago
Now

We get to the scifi.

Lots of explaining to do. And I do ever so wonder, who holds their contracts? Is it the chairman? Does that bitch have the power to silence her slave, or will they be able to become friends?

Friends are nice.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Bitty style of writing

I thought the widely spaced short sentences were annoying. Many of us are more used to whole paragraphs. And the word is "obliged", not "obligated". If you are "obliged" to do something, then you have "an obligation" to do it - but that's as far as the language goes. You should not, in all conscience and common sense, then make a brand new adjective "obligated" out of the noun "obligation". There was nothing wrong with the first one.

DoxyTrainerDoxyTraineralmost 9 years agoAuthor
Thank you for your interest in making this story better! Prat.

obligate

▸ verb /ˈɒblɪgeɪt /

1 [with obj. and infinitive] require or compel (someone) to undertake a legal or moral duty:

the medical establishment is obligated to take action in the best interest of the public.

2 [with obj.] US commit (assets) as security:

the money must be obligated within 30 days.

▸ adjective /ˈɒblɪgət / [attrib.] Biology restricted to a particular function or mode of life:

an obligate intracellular parasite.

Often contrasted with facultative.

– DERIVATIVES obligator noun.

– ORIGIN late Middle English (as an adjective in the sense ‘bound by law’): from Latin obligatus, past participle of obligare (see oblige). The current adjectival use dates from the late 19th century.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDoxyTrainer@DoxyTrainer
Write what you know. Then write what you don't know. Then write what amuses you the most. Please comment.