Corporate Family Dinner Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
justbobkc
justbobkc
678 Followers

But I had no proof and might not ever have. I just decided to dump everything I could get off the computers on a few of the largest transactions and put it all on a 64GB flash drive. The wonders of modern technology. By the time anyone discovered I had this stuff, I'd be long gone - and I don't think IT had installed that kind of monitoring S/W on our admin computers anyway. On the sales and bids modules, yes. And also on the labs and plants computers. These were the ones competitors and "industrial spies" would be most interested in. Not day to day petty admin stuff in a smaller branch office like ours in St. Louis.

I spent the rest of the day not doing much at all. Just inventorying all my personal stuff and filling up my briefcase with as much as I could. And I typed out my resignation letter and printed it.

I even took a long lunch hour, and after debating with myself called Karen Bascome. She wouldn't recognize my number and might have been in a meeting or whatever so I wasn't surprised it went directly to voicemail and I simply said. "Hi, Karen - this is Bob and we met at Joe's Saturday night. I am headed back over there tonight for dinner myself about 6:30. Just thought I'd let you know. I enjoyed your company Saturday. As you said just casual and you don't even need to call me back. If I see you there, good. If not, that's OK, too. Later."

About 3PM I got a call back from Karen, "Hi Karen."

"Hi Bob, got your message. I - might not be able to make it tonight. I've got something hanging and I just don't know yet. But I did want to let you know I am very pleased you called me. I really did enjoy your company Saturday and if I don't make it tonight, please call me again for next time, OK?"

"Sure, Karen - no problem. I'll see you or not. It's not like a date. Uh - I am married right now but...it's complicated and damn - now I'm getting embarrassed..."

She just laughed - and not in any kind of mean way. "I know, silly. Don't worry about it. We're just friends, And I hope we can get to be good friends. But I've got a boyfriend myself already. If I can make it he might be with me or someone else, would you mind?"

"Not at all. Thanks for letting my off the hook, here, actually. I seemed to be digging a hole there for a minute I didn't want to. Hope you guys can make it and if not, next time. OK?"

"Definitely. Bye"

I let out a long breath - it was almost as if I had been holding it. Of course someone like Karen would have a boyfriend already, but my subconscious animal brain didn't know that, and even though my rational brain just wanted a friend (and ever more friends to replace Elaine and my previous life) I certainly was attracted to her as a woman. I seemed to be noticing women more as attractive sexually now than I had for the last 12 years when totally committed to Elaine. It was like I was escaping a prison. Even a gilded cage is still a cage. Were all those years with Elaine actually that great for me? Her up and down personality? The way she could put me down and reject me basically sexually for weeks or even months at a time? Her basic attitude for most of our marriage had been one of dissatisfaction - certainly with our economic hardships - but also sexually maybe? Maybe that explained why she strayed from my bed, to start with.

I didn't even want to think about that this instant but I knew I would have to ask her at some point pretty soon. Not that I expected much actual honesty from her, now.

It was almost 4 now and I was ready to leave. I walked into Carol's office and said. "hey, Carol. I came in early today because I've got some personal stuff to take care of today. I'm heading out, OK?"

"Sure Bob, no problem. We need to talk, but it can wait till tomorrow. Let me just tell you, I got copied on an email between Sam Harrison and Ken Watkins and the final sign-off on your promotion has happened. It's officially done - just not officially announced. You can tell Elaine of course but no one else here yet, OK? That'll make the actual announcement meeting more dramatic and Ken said Sam is even thinking about coming down here for that whole office meeting. Isn't that great?" And she was actually beaming at me.

I couldn't actually believe she was that clueless and then it hit me - she probably really was. She was brand new, here, basically - and probably hadn't even heard the rumors - much less did she have ANY evidence or verification it was true. She might not even have really noticed Elaine leaving alone with Sam that night. And she knew the whole thing - my promotion - was already practically done already. That last approval was just a bureaucratic formality to her and no relevance with what Elaine had done this weekend or not.

The poor girl, I almost felt sorry for her. I tried my best to smile and said "Oh, that's great, Carol. I really appreciate you going to bat for me. You really are a standup person and great manager and I appreciate it. I...want you to know I mean this no matter what the future brings. Just thanks."

"No, thank you, Bob - and have fun tonight. Celebrate with Elaine!"

"I will - see you tomorrow regular time. Or maybe just a little bit later. Bye."

And I was thinking, "the shit was going to hit the fan tomorrow, I betcha."

I didn't want to go to the house. Hard to think of it as "home" anymore and it was too early just to go to Joe's and hang-out. I decided to head to the gym again. I was a little sore yesterday from my Saturday workout, but not bad today and I figured I needed it. On the way there Ross called me.

"Hey, buddy - how did it go today?"

"Pretty good - I got everything I could out of there and cleaned up my own investigations evidence best I could. The shit is going to hit the fan, tomorrow though." I laughed.

"Oh?"

"Yep - I just got told my 'big promotion' was official. They are working on scheduling the announcement meeting. When I quit tomorrow some red flags are probably going to pop. Maybe even Sam will shit himself a little."

"Sam?"

"Ah, nevermind. I don't want to get in those details - not on the phone."

"No problem. I just called to check bases and ask what are you doing tonight?"

"Working out now - going to Joe's for some wings and beer, later."

"Mind if I join you?" Ross asked.

"Sure - but I thought you would be pitching tonight?"

"Monday's probably the worst night for that. I have dinners and entertainment lined up with prospects the rest of this week already though..."

"OK - see you there about 6:30?"

"Sounds good. It's just you and me tonight, Buddy. Bye."

"Sure," I merely thought to myself, "until the unattached and even sometimes attached women there noticed him and started gathering around." He really was a babe magnet and maybe I'd even get a little overflow attention. I almost grinned at the thought.

I had another pretty good workout and really felt relaxed and mellow afterwards. I timed it all well and got to Joe's about 6:20. I was nursing a beer when Ross arrived and sat down. We soon had a bunch of wings and fries and celery sticks and were munching down when I saw Karen and another guy walk in, she saw me and grabbed him by the arm and started right over,

"Hi Bob," she said.

"This is my boyfriend Richard Diekens."

"Hi Karen. I'm Bob Parker and this is my new boss Ross Clark," I said as I was rising.

"Please join us. I'd shake hands but..." I shrugged indicating my pretty greasy paws by now.

Rich just laughed himself and said, "OK - wait at least until I'm in the same condition - who do I have to kill to get some meself and a beer?"

I liked him, right away, even though he was my subconscious competitor for Karen's attention and sexual favors - and even though it was no contest already FOR those favors - though I remembered that Karen had said she was on a date with another guy Friday night. And I don't think it was this guy. I guess I was a little confused.

Anyway, I wanted to see how Karen would react to 'babe magnet' Ross and then how Richard would react to Karen's reaction.

Karen seemed interested. She had that little blush thing going again like when she first walked up to me. Looking at Ross she said, "So, you are a manager at IMT&R?"

Ross glanced at me then said. "No, actually I've just formed my own company and Ross has joined me there."

Karen then said to me "Wow, Bob, you just quit working there today?"

"Actually I quit working there last Friday night, but they will find out all about it tomorrow," I said more grimly than I meant too. Nobody wanted to touch that and so I continued, "it's all water under the bridge now, let's enjoy these wings here if we can get you some," and I waved at a waitress.

Ross stepped right in smoothly as always and started talking about the new company. I didn't know how much was still secret, or at least private and confidential, but evidently not much. Karen kept looking back and forth between us and I felt a little ego boost she wasn't totally captivated by Ross's charm and mesmerized by him. I think our waitress was though - she was constantly checking our table and almost ran up when I raised my arm. That's how Rich and Karen got their wings so fast. Soon we were all chowing down and I asked Rich what he did. He was an associate lawyer in the same firm were Karen was a paralegal. But even though he was a lawyer he still seemed like just a nice guy. I could see why Karen liked him.

Just as a little stirring the interactions pot. I suddenly asked Ross, "Where's Tammy tonight?"

Ross just smiled and looking at Karen said, "Tammy's my girlfriend. Well, Bob, she's working tonight after I monopolized her time all weekend."

Tammy worked? Suddenly it struck me what was so great about yesterday's time at Ross's. No one actually talked about themselves much at all. And everyone seemed to be better listeners than talkers - and the subjects were mostly about ideas and things rather than people, especially gossip type people talk and all the banal crapola like "my boss is an idiot" or "my boyfriend did this and not that." Of course Ross led and some of his really funny stories about himself and his evidently rather unique family were about people - but ultimately they were "good funny" kind of tales.

"Oh wow - I didn't know Tammy worked - where at?"

"She's working on her doctoral thesis - anthropology. Something about trying to scientifically verify or disprove something called "the Lucifer Principle" by Howard Bloom. Her current specialty is sociobiology applied to humans - thus it's really Anthropology."

"Ooooh, the Lucifer Principle. Sounds wicked." Karen said and grinned.

I grinned when she did.

"It's just - interesting. Howard Bloom made his own fortune running his own PR agency and helping some of the greatest populist Rock and Rollers reach the maximum possible audience. He got fairly wealthy himself doing that and it got him really thinking about aspects of human nature. So he wrote it all down in a book. I find it fascinating myself because I am just basically a salesman and every or any insight into human actions just might help me."

Rich jumped in, "Probably might be of interest to some of us lawyers as well. We see a lot of that good people doing bad things, stuff. Hard to understand sometimes."

I looked down at that, but then jumped back in myself, changing the subject, "How about Donna, does she work?"

Karen looked interested at that question, herself. She WAS watching me pretty closely. Made me feel OK, somehow.

"Donna's back in Chicago - she goes to law school there. Her family is wealthy but luckily for her haven't spoiled her. She get's a reasonable living allowance but is expected to make something of herself. She really likes the law, for some reason. She might be joining us at some point - as corporate counsel" and Ross grinned and I did too.

Karen and Rich both got interested as well. Lawyers can't help but be interested in the competition. And all lawyers seemed to be in competition with all others.

From there we just spent another hour pleasantly enjoying each other's company as more and more women dressed to kill seemed to be hovering just outside our reasonably private zone like birds of prey. I am damn sure I wasn't the prey. Ross was, as always. He just ignored it all.

Finally Rich said something possibly significant, "I probably shouldn't even say anything, but here goes. I trust you two already to keep it real quiet. Our firm just got a new client. A senior partner is handling them directly and I'm his gofer on this. They are a medium sized Japanese company looking to build their first USA plant - probably in Missouri. They are an OEM parts subcontractor for Toyota mostly - and Toyota already has 10 auto plants here already. Our government is finally getting a tad smarter in prudent trade practices - and there are definite tax and economic incentive advantages for building in the USA again. One of our managing partner's brothers is a Missouri State Senator - so we have a little leverage achieving even greater land grants/eminent domain actions and substantial forgiveness of state and local taxes for them building in Missouri. Not a LOT of new jobs are involved - since the major lines will all be robotic - but enough to make it very politically expedient."

"Interesting," Ross said thoughtfully. "But you know the Japanese are world leaders in robotics and robotic manufacturing already. Probably IMT&R wouldn't even have a shot."

"They don't want Japanese robots - at least directly. They are committed to 'all American' as much as possible to prove they mean it. It's a principle thing with them. 'In for a penny, in for a pound' kind of commitment. AND...they don't seem to like IMT&R for some reason. It almost seems personal to someone, somehow. Working directly with IMT&R is a non starter.

"So, you might be a good fit here, an actual solution. How good are you?"

"We're good enough. We just can't prove it yet by our record, because we don't have an actual history yet. But if you ask around the people that know me - in the industry - I think my reputation for customer service and straight and fair dealings is impeachable. I'll give you a list of every one of my own personal sales and support clients. The same thing I already offer to everyone of our current prospects."

"When can you give me that list," Rich asked.

"Right now. There's several in my car."

"So - you sound interested. If I can set up a meeting at some point you'd take it?"

"Absolutely," Ross smiled that million dollar smile.

"OK - no promises - and I hope this doesn't cause any hard feelings if it doesn't work out" and he looked at Karen and then us questioningly. We smiled and Ross just grinned. "Not a chance and you two HAVE to come to my next back yard grill party."

It was close to 9 and about then my phone rang. It was Elaine finally calling me. I hadn't talked to her today and still didn't want to - but I did want to see Julia tonight before she went to bed and I was about to leave anyway. I made my excuses and headed out and Karen looked a tad disappointed - but looked understanding when I said, "Got to kiss my daughter goodnight."

They were just settling in and some of the circling birds of prey were starting to eye each other and with their talons out. I hoped Ross made it out alive. Like I said - it's a blessing AND a curse.

Elaine:

I didn't hear Bob leave in the morning.

I groaned and struggled out of bed to get Julia up, fed, dressed, and on her way to school at the normal time. If Bob had slept next to me like normally - he would have happily volunteered to do all that himself. Because he really loved me. Sigh.

First thing I did at 8AM was call my ob-gyn and beg for an appointment today. They squeezed me in right before lunch but I had to wait almost an hour in the reception room. I didn't look my best and tried to look like I WASN'T there because I might have an STD. I didn't feel very successful doing that.

I explained the basics to my Doctor who I had been going to for 12 years and who had delivered my own baby. She did a pretty good job keeping her face passive and objective. I was still blushing heavily. At least my pasty white face was gone for a few minutes.

She examined me and took a urine and some vaginal swab samples and gave me a prescription for a broad spectrum antibiotic. She said. "this is enough for two people. Your...whoever you might be having regular sex with the next two weeks should take these also - just like you. And he - anyone - you have sex with should wear a condom the next 2 weeks as well. OK? I'll get the samples I took today cultured and let you know the results. You should also see a urologist and get completely checked out for all possible STD infections. The front desk can give you a couple names if you need that. Any questions?"

I just shook my head no. I couldn't look her in the face. Was this the new me? Even a week ago I could never have imagined me like this. This was not a "winner" self-image and feeling at all - but that of a silly, stupid and pathetic loser. I felt like a girl who had lost all respect from others, respect and love from her husband, and probably had just lost her husband period. And finally I had lost most of my own self-respect. I would certainly beg, plead, grovel - do almost ANYTHING to get my husband's love back.

I was able to get a urologist appointment for tomorrow. The rest of the day was just a blur. Mostly I dozed, curled up in our easy chair and wondered if Bob would call me today...or maybe talk to me tonight?

I struggled to get moving about 3:30 when I knew Jules would get home soon and tried to act as normal as possible. Jules was starting to feel the real "not normal" that was now going on. I had told her "Dad just had to go to work real early today - and he's got a lot going on there and on his mind which is why he is acting a little strange now. But it's OK. Don't worry."

But I was real worried about tonight and maintaining that fiction. Bob didn't come home after work and he never called. I told Jules he was working late but she wasn't buying it. She started to look ever more unhappy and scared. "Damn him" I thought to myself once. Then "Damn, damn, damn me" as more appropriate, actually.

Finally I called him at 9 to remind him of Jules bedtime rapidly approaching but he never answered. Maybe he wasn't coming home tonight. Who could he be with? Another woman? Entered my mind for the first time. My heart froze up a little. I was SURE Bob had never had another woman since we first had sex with each other ourselves back in college. It never entered my mind he would - and then I had sent Susan over TO have sex with him? I really did that? I must have been insane Friday. What was - what IS - wrong with me??? Maybe he liked sex with Susan so much better than with me he's with her right now, that bitch. I stewed for a few minutes then called her.

She answered, "Hello. Elaine? What's happening?" She sounded a little out of breath...

"Is Bob there?" I asked her.

"What???" She replied. "No, haven't seen or talked to him since about 2 AM Saturday morning after you asked me to "take care of him." And like I told you Saturday PM when we talked I did - and he seemed real satisfied and relaxed then. I know I was. I need to thank you again, Elaine!"

Fuck. That wasn't what I needed to hear - how great my husband was as a lover of other women - right now.

"You're not fucking him again right now are you?" I said a tad loudly.

"No, Christ, Elaine - I am fucking but it's someone else, I swear."

"Fuck" I said and hung up. The problem with cell phones is you can't slam 'em down. I was thinking.

And right then I heard Bob's older almost clunker car drive up. Not like my brand new Infiniti at all. I almost felt even more ashamed as I realized I never thought twice about taking that whole $40,000 commission that I "earned" and buying myself such a nice new car...while continuing to berate Bob vocally - and otherwise - that he never made enough money to properly take care of me and Jules. These were actually strange thoughts for me - why hadn't I ever thought this way before? Because I would have to admit just what I was doing - and that I LIKED what I was doing - before, when it was all secret? My secret - and I was totally the in-charge Queen of my REAL secret little fantasy world. A world of nothing but fun and good times and pleasure and above all - satisfaction. Like all winners deserved...

justbobkc
justbobkc
678 Followers