Dark Travelers Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GinaTina
GinaTina
256 Followers

"We've been observing you for months now, but I suspect you already know that. Sometimes, your sister would forget to close her window coverings. Rather idiotic, really."

Andi felt her cheeks heat up but Anya was encouraged despite the insult. If they were allowed to rest, than a rescue party would be able to make up some ground, thus diminishing their head-start. The tiny flare of hope was steadily growing into a flame. She nodded and determinedly pressed on, walking a bit more quickly.

The group traveled in silence for a long while. Before long, the blizzard eased then stopped completely and the sky began to grow lighter with dawn's approach. Seemingly in response, the magic orb grew dimmer and smaller as the day became brighter. Soon it was completely gone.

The birds who had not migrated began their morning song and the sun peeked through the remaining clouds, cheering Anya up slightly despite her dismal state of affairs.

"Round the next bend we will be in sight of the front gates. We'll have to go off trail soon. People do still sometimes use this road, and we'll be seen before long," she said.

She looked at Kirik, who merely nodded.

"You'll have to stop and let us eat and sleep soon. We didn't get much of it last night."

"You will stop when I say so, no sooner. If I must find a way to keep you alert I shall, and it most likely won't be pleasant. I suggest you force yourself to go on," he replied.

Her mouth thinned but she nodded, glancing over at Andi. Her sister's eyes were drooping further and her yawns were steadily growing closer and closer together. Her feet were dragging even more and she was beginning to slow down again. Andi didn't cope well with lack of sleep at the best of times. Anya rummaged around in her pack and handed Andi a water jug.

"Drink. Splash some on your face if you must," she urged.

Andi accepted it and obliged. The cold water helped a bit but not much. Her pace diminished further until Kael almost ran into her. Miffed, he gave her another jab with his blade.

"You cut that out!" Andi shouted, spinning around abruptly.

"Andi," Anya began warningly.

"No! I'm tired of him poking at me!" She stepped forward, apparently completely awake now, and tried to give him a shove back, "you leave me alone!"

Kael didn't budge and he arched a brow, staring down at the angry female. She was jabbering at him and pointing at his sword. He watched as her cheeks grew red and her eyes threatened to overflow again. Why was she changing colors? It was very peculiar.

Anya pulled on her sister's arm and dragged her out of harm's way, speaking soothingly to her. Kael sheathed the weapon and smiled in satisfaction, at least she was moving now.

"Why do they leak water and turn red, brother?" He asked Kirik.

"The eye-water is called 'cry' and it's done in response to stressful stimuli," he responded, eyes on Anya again. "As for the color change, I assure you I do not know." Kirik wondered about this himself and made a mental note to ask the woman when they stopped for a break.

"Perhaps some sort of camouflage?" Kael ventured.

"Unlikely, there is nothing red around here to blend into."

Anya heard them speaking to one another in that odd language but paid it no attention for the time being. She had stopped once more. She could see the large entrance at the village gates looming in the distance. She noted the sun's position in the sky and tried to memorize which direction to face.

When she believed she had it, she took a deep breath and veered off the trail and into the cover of the forest, still uneasy with leaving her familiar route. As she left the road, she passed a large tree and let her pack scuff against the bark, leaving an obvious nick in its trunk. She gulped nervously, but the creatures seemed not to notice anything out of the ordinary.

She walked in a straight line for several yards, then paused, attempting to align herself in the correct direction again.

"Alright, if we keep on this way we ought to come upon the outer wall soon. From there we can just veer around it. We're far enough off the path where we shouldn't run into anyone. The townspeople rarely venture into the woods unless need be. If all goes well, we should be able to pick up the trail again on the other side."

"Good," was all Kirik said.

She breathed a soft sigh of relief. He hadn't noticed what she was up to. She smoothed her hair back behind her ears and set her jaw. There was no clear area now, and the plant life was quite thick.

She led the group forward with difficulty, trying to sidestep branches, thorn bushes and thick piles of snow. Andi was much less graceful and let out several pained gasps as she was scratched and pummeled.

Kirik and Kael had much less difficulty and were taking great amusement in watching the women struggling. Kael appeared especially gratified every time Andi received another scrape or bruise, and his grin showed it.

Kirik was eyeing Anya's exposed ears. "How can you hear anything, woman?"

Anya didn't slow or turn to acknowledge him, having to focus fully on keeping her heading.

Kirik sped up a few steps and grabbed a handful of her hair, jerking her to a stop.

"You will NOT ignore me," he said, giving her hair another sharp tug.

"I'm s-sorry, I need t-to concentrate. I just don't want to get l-lost," she apologized quickly, hissing in pain.

Appeased, he released her and asked again, "how is it that you can hear anything with those tiny ears?" He reached out and ran a finger over the rounded top of her ear.

Anya jerked out of his reach not liking the way her skin tingled where he'd touched her. She gazed up at him warily and rubbed her scalp. Her head had taken ample abuse as of late and she was beginning to get a painful headache.

"I'm sure we can't hear as well as you are able but I assure you we can hear just fine," she finally replied, a bit sullenly.

He seemed satisfied with this response and said nothing further so she turned to continue, her fingers now kneading at her temples.

"Anya," Andi said quietly, pointing.

Anya followed Andi's gaze and saw the large rock wall just visible ahead. She had managed to guide them in the correct direction despite her misgivings. The bands of tension around her chest loosened a bit, now that she had something to follow again. She glanced up at the sky and observed that the sun had moved more than she thought it should have. She wasn't keeping track of time very well out here and resolved to pay more attention.

The brothers were also examining the structure. Anya watched as Kael kicked at the wall, knocking a chunk loose. He shook his head and appeared to scoff. Kirik slid his hand over the rough surface, expression unreadable.

He turned to Anya, "we follow this around?"

She nodded still massaging her aching head. She wished they could stop and rest. Andi had climbed onto a large stone and was sitting on it, head propped up on her hands, eyes closed. She looked exhausted.

"Please, we need rest. Just for a little while?" Anya asked softly.

Kirik watched her for a moment then turned to study Andi as well. Apparently humans needed much more sleep than they did. He wondered how much longer the journey would take if they kept having to stop. Finally, he nodded and waved his hand.

"Do as you must."

Andi heaved a great sigh at his words and jumped down. She picked a somewhat clear spot under a large tree, brushed away the snow as best she could, curled up under it and promptly fell asleep.

Anya watched her sister and smiled regretfully. There would be no shut-eye for her it seemed. Too risky for both of them to sleep in the presence of danger.

Still though, there was no reason she couldn't sit a spell and rest her eyes at least. Yes. That's what she would do. She took a seat next to her slumbering sister, leaned back against the tree, and shut her eyes. Despite her intent to remain vigilant, Anya was as soon as deeply asleep as Andi.

10.

"Are you seriously considering letting them live when we're through with them?" Kael asked, scowling down at the slumbering women.

"Don't be ridiculous," Kirik replied loftily.

"I don't think I am being ridiculous, brother. You keep staring at that one," he pointed at Anya, "like you're interested in her. Don't think I haven't noticed it."

Kirik had taken a seat on the boulder much as Andi had earlier. He was sharpening and cleaning his blades meticulously, one after the other. Now, however, he paused and glanced up to glare at his sibling.

"You speak brashly, youngling. She's filth, nothing more," he glowered at his brother a moment longer before returning to his task.

"I'm being presumptuous?! You're the one assuming that she's leading us to where she says she is. What if she's taking us directly into a trap? What then?" Kael grew frustrated, unaccustomed to Kirik not listening to him.

"Then we kill whoever stands in our path and then make the women pay, what else?"

"How do we even know that there is a wizard? And if there is, how do we know if he can even translate that message?" Kael had made his way over to Andi and was staring down at her with distaste.

Little bitch.

Kirik seemed unconcerned, "you didn't see the look on the woman's face when I was questioning her. She would have given me her own mother's whereabouts had I asked her. It's amazing what the threat of pain will do. You forget, I am a seasoned interrogator-"

"Oh! So seasoned that you were unable to tell that the old man wasn't lying? He could have shown us the way and we could have been there by now."

Kael had crouched beside the girl and was now examining her sleeping profile. Her features actually weren't too terribly unpleasant, now that they weren't graced with a scowl.

Kirik blanched, stung. "I am unfamiliar with the human species, how was I to know? Besides, this is the best lead we've got at the moment. If it doesn't pan out, we'll come up with another plan."

"Time is running out, brother," Kael said staunchly. He took hold of a lock of Andi's hair and peered at it. Such a bizarre color. No female at home had yellow hair.

Kirik finally appeared a bit uneasy, "I am aware of that."

Kael dropped the strands of hair turned his head to face his brother, "what if we fail-"

"We will not," Kirik interrupted harshly.

Kael looked uncertain. He rose and began to pace nervously. This was his first real mission and he had no urge to return to his homeland with nothing to show for it. He would be disgraced and humiliated. Kirik as well. They would lose their status. Kirik may even lose his standing with the Elders.

No. That couldn't happen. He wouldn't let it. Was he not the best pupil? Had he not beat out all of Kirik's other students fair and square? Wasn't that why he was chosen to go in the first place?

Yes it was. And yes he was.

Kirik could almost read his brother's thoughts. The young male had never been very skilled at hiding his inner turmoil. It was something that needed to be practiced and would come with age and experience. "We'll not be disgraced, Kael. I've worked too long and too hard to let something such as this bring me down. Some human wrote that code and some human will be able to solve it. Of that I've no doubt. Stop doubting. Only the weak doubt themselves."

Kael crossed his arms and appeared uncomfortable. He didn't know how Kirik always managed to know that he was thinking. To distract himself, he knelt down beside Andi again and gently cupped her jaw in one of his hands. He turned her head so he could look at her face and furrowed his brow.

"Why does she have these spots on her cheeks?"

Kirik glanced up again to regard the girl briefly. He'd noticed the freckles before but hadn't paid them any mind. After a moment of consideration he shrugged, "pigment markings I'd assume."

"They're ugly," he replied, releasing her. He wiped his hand on his leg as if he'd touched something nasty.

"Seems to me that you've taken quite an interest in her despite your apparent disgust," Kirik responded, somewhat amused. "And you complain about me."

Incensed, Kael stood again and quickly backed away from the sleeping woman. He shook his head in denial, insulted, "I was merely curious. How much longer do we have to wait? They've been asleep for almost three turns now."

Kirik shrugged again, "I've no idea. No point in following them if they're so tired they get us lost. They'll wake soon enough."

His brother's never ending patience was sometimes maddening. Kael's ears twitched, hearing sounds of people coming from within the city walls. They were much too close for his liking.

Suppose a group of warriors happened along on a patrol and here they just sat, waiting for it? So much for keeping a low profile. Almost of their own accord, his eyes returned to Andi, examining her again. He was hardly aware that he'd done it.

Kirik observed this but said nothing this time, sheathing his last knife. Proper weapon maintenance done, he also turned his attention to the human females. Anya had begun to stir and mumble. She'd be awake shortly.

Her sister, on the other hand, still slept deeply and he instinctively knew that she'd be the difficult one to rouse. Maybe he'd let Kael do it. Or perhaps not. As it was, his brother was still glowering down at the younger girl.

Anya's dream of home was slowly fading. She tried to dive back down into the depths of sleep but failed. Something unpleasant awaited her in the real world and on some inner level she knew it.

Reluctantly, she opened her eyes and blinked several times, confused. She was outside on the ground, under a tree. Had she fallen asleep in the meadow again or someth-

"Welcome back, woman," Kirik greeted her, cheerfully.

Oh yes. Now she remembered.

She struggled into a sitting position and peered around grumpily, unhappy with being awake. Kirik stood there, grinning down at her. Infuriating bastard. Anya furrowed her brow, didn't respond and looked around for her sister.

Andi lay a short distance off, still sleeping, her breathing deep and steady. Relief ebbed her annoyance. They had not been harmed while they slept. She dug in her pack for her water bottle and she took a deep drink. She swished the water around inside of her mouth to rinse it and then took another sip.

Feeling a little better having done this, she splashed some on her face as well. The cool liquid chased away the last remnants of sleep and she climbed to her feet, straightening her clothes and dusting them off.

Kael approached and snatched the water jug out of her grasp. Anya opened her mouth to protest, "hey! What-"

He ignored her and promptly dumped the remaining water onto Andi. The effect was immediate; she gave a loud gasp and bolted upright, spluttering. Outraged, but completely awake, she bounced to her feet and shook her arms, sending water droplets flying.

"You-you..." she repeated, unable to find a harsh enough insult. She glared up at him, furious.

Kael beamed; entirely pleased with himself once again. He raised his eyebrows and widened his eyes, holding his arms out to the side as if inviting her to come at him.

Anya and Kirik stared with almost identical expressions of surprise, utterly nonplussed. Andi began to shiver, cold water seeping through her top and clinging to her skin. Anya rummaged around in her bag and silently held out another to the girl.

Andi seized it, cheeks red with anger, and began to pull her soaked sweater up over her head. Kael eyed her flat little belly and watched, suddenly interested despite himself. She noticed this and paused to glance up at him again, embarrassed, pulling her top back down to cover her exposed skin.

"Stop staring at me!"

Kirik cleared his throat, gaining Kael's attention. He shook his head slightly and spoke quietly. Kael appeared amused, then dutifully turned away, still smirking. Anya frowned at the younger male and moved in front of her sister, obscuring his view further.

Andi quickly peeled the sodden wool from her skin, still flustered, and hastily replaced it with the dry one. That done, she wrung out her wet hair and twisted it up into a secure knot to prevent it from soaking the back of her sweater.

Stupid, STUPID jerk! I hate him, I hate him, I HATE him. She thought savagely, vowing revenge.

Kirik had also averted his gaze, politely. Sensing she was done, he turned back to the women and smiled smoothly. "There now, have you rested enough?"

Anya crossed her arms and nodded without speaking. Andi had balled up the soiled sweater and was shoving it back into the pack. She kept flicking her gaze to Kael, cheeks still burning with anger and embarrassment.

He'd turned back and caught her glance, tossing her another goading grin. Andi couldn't stand it and she bent to gather some snow into a ball. Straightening again she quickly flung it at his face.

He dodged it easily, actually issuing a laugh. Perhaps this wouldn't be such a boring journey after all. He waggled a finger at her and drew a sword, smacking the top of her head with the flat of the blade.

Anya shook her head and pulled Andi away, "don't give him the satisfaction."

Kirik cleared his throat again, impatiently, "enough of this foolishness. Woman," he nodded at Anya, "time to get going."

She sighed and nodded, giving Andi a gentle shove to get her going. "Walk in front of me. He won't be able to bother you then."

Andi rubbed her forehead and nodded, stalking ahead with her nose held high in the air once more. Anya followed in close second, then Kirik, and finally, a very smug Kael.

GinaTina
GinaTina
256 Followers
12