David & 'Lyssa Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Marad felt a shiver as someone gated away from his courtyard. That explained where the damn cat woman had gone.

"Never could trust those damn cats anyway," he muttered.

Marad summoned his ablest assassins and dispatched them to go after and slay Lady Shadow.

The conspirators could not afford to have their plans exposed just yet.

He turned back to the rest of the domain lords.

"Lord SSSS," Marad addressed the lord of the swamplands. A repulsive creature looking like a cross between a toad and a particularly ugly snake. "We will need a few dozen of your most venomous kin." "Ssssaaagrrreeed." hissed the swamp lord.

Marad turned toward the red cloaked figure, "Dread Lord Canis, We require undead of various types, your choice of course."

"You shall have them," rasped the hooded figure.

From each of the varied domain lords, Marad extracted vows and promises of creatures, equipment, and spells that would be used to trap and attempt to destroy the man who had slain the Dark Lord. With any fortune, they would also slay the rest of his family as well.

A gate opened in the main hall of a fortress deep within the rugged mountains bordering the fire plains. The lady shadow emerged and spun around to close the gate behind her.

The lady Shadow was furious. Both with her erstwhile conspirators, and with herself.

Her former allies for being so stupid and so bloodthirsty.

And herself for allowing her feelings toward the rest of the creatures gathered there in that hellish hall to move her to leave the gathering.

She knew that the others would try to have her slain for not joining them.

Lady Shadow had no qualms about killing, but she never killed needlessly, and always swiftly and as painlessly as feasible.

The way the others fed on the fears and life energies of sentient beings appalled her.

She had lived this long in the realms by keeping to her own domains where her powers were the greatest.

And by staying out of the notice of the more powerful beings of the dimensions.

All that was changed now.

For better or worse, the others had chosen her side for her.

Now all she had to do was survive until she could join up with the usurper and his allies.

For the first time in many centuries, Lady Shadow knew real fear.

Opening a gate to the succubus' mansion would be fatal. The others would be on guard and watching just for that. And they would divert her gate to open directly into their dungeons.

She stood there a moment, tapping her clawed toes on the cobblestones of the courtyard. Then she bared delicate fangs in a smile that had little to do with humor.

Maybe a diversion...

Lady Shadow summoned her fiercest fighters and the most powerful creatures in her domain. When they had gathered in her courtyard, Lady Shadow explained what she wanted of them.

The group of fighters and monsters gave voice to a terrifying howl of approval and eagerness.

Satisfied, Lady Shadow opened a series of gates that poured hordes of blood maddened creatures of all descriptions into the palaces and mansions of the domain lords that had been at the meeting at Marad's hall.

After a pause to ensure that her warriors had the others full attention, Lady Shadow opened a smaller, more focused doorway, and slipped directly into the parlor of 'Lyssa's mansion.

David was in the middle of something, Jenny to be exact, when he felt the alarms he had rigged around the house alert him to a visitors arrival.

Prissy and 'Lyssa felt the gate opening and closing, and reacted with great annoyance at the interruption.

David paused in mid stroke. He hastily erected barriers of magical force to keep whomever or whatever was in the parlor, IN the parlor, until he could devote his energies to dealing with them or whatever was down there.

David dismissed the matter from his mind, twitched his hips, and leered down at Jenny, "Now where were we?"

Jenny happily reminded him.

A while later, David was dressed again and not in a really good mood about being interrupted.

David had not known what to expect when he entered the parlor, but he had never imagined a cat lady in a low cut, tight fitting dress.

"Greetings." Lady Shadow said as she rose to her feet.

David put his hands together in the Chinese manner and bowed slightly.

"I bring news of treachery and insurrection." Said Lady Shadow.

"Please, sit and make yourself comfortable." Replied David.

He felt 'Lyssa, Jenny and Prissy in the hall outside the parlor door, but he kept the door sealed and the barriers firmly in place. Until he knew what was going on, he wasn't going to risk his family any more than he had to.

David smiled pleasantly at his uninvited guest. "Please explain. May I offer you some refreshment or food?"

"Some wine of you please." Said Lady Shadow. She was getting a good first impression from this human. But the sheer POWER she felt radiating from him! Formidable indeed!

Lady Shadow shook herself out of her reverie. "I attended a meeting with lord Marad, lord SSSS, and others at Marad's castle. I do not have all the details, only that they want to overthrow your rule. And if possible, slay you and your family."

David's eyes narrowed. "Indeed." he said with deceptive calm.

Lady Shadow had not survived this long without being able to sense the subtle signs of danger in those around her. She was all too aware that her fate hung by the slightest of threads right now.

"And having divulged their treasonous plans to you, why did they let you get away alive to warn me?" asked David.

Lady Shadow looked David in the eyes. "I will show you what drove me from their midst, and what diverted them so that I might make good my escape."

Lady Shadow gestured at the fireplace. The flames arranged themselves to show a picture as clear as any television, showing the peasants being brought in and burned. The scene ended abruptly.

"I could stomach no more. This was when I took my leave as the others fed."

David sat there quietly, thinking. He was appalled at what he had just seen. He looked again at the cat lady. "Tell me of yourself." David said.

"I have ruled my mountains for 8 millennia now. I am unmated at present. The Beast slew my mate shortly after I ascended to my rule. We had one cub. She was taken from her bed when she was only a few weeks of age. She is alive, but I have not been able to find her, or even any clues to her whereabouts in nearly 8,000 years. I rule evenhandedly. Or at least I try." Lady Shadow paused to take a sip from the wineglass that had materialized on the table next to her. She nodded her thanks to David. He gestured for her to continue.

"We mountain folk prefer to be left alone, and to leave others alone. What we do not produce ourselves, we trade for, and we guarantee traders free passage through our domain as long as they obey our laws."

"And the other domain lords do not interfere? They leave you alone?"

"We have little that others want. And ours is a rugged land, difficult for an army to pass and little to supply them if they do come." Lady Shadow smiled with unconscious pride and affection at her thoughts, "And my people are loyal and brave, as they must be to wrest a living from such a domain. And The Cave Dwellers know us. We respect their ways and do not intrude on their territory any more than necessary. In return, they aid in our defense at need."

"And how do you feel about my rule?"

"I don't know yet." Lady Shadow answered in complete honesty. She knew that if David wished, he could slay her at any time. And part of her even yearned for the blessing of oblivion. At least there she might see her mate once more. But, there was always the amulet that she wore always under her clothing around her waist, letting her know by its warmth that her daughter lived. Somewhere.

"Fair enough." David said. He made a decision and released the wards around the parlor, and tripled the barriers around Staffet1s room.

'Lyssa, Prissy, and Jenny came warily into the parlor. David rose as his wives approached.

He introduced each of them to Lady Shadow.

Then, "We got problems."

David had Lady Shadow re-tell her story to his wives, and show them the scene at Marad's hall.

All 3 of his wives reacted with marked distaste at the sight in the flames.

Then at 'Lyssa's suggestion, Lady Shadow had the flame images show each of the known conspirators that had been at the meeting.

David froze the three-dimensional images and installed them in crystal globes that he set on the mantle above the fireplace.

Jenny said, "Bitsy needs to see these pictures so that she can beware if she sees them in person, and can escape and warn us if possible."

David nodded his agreement, and Jenny went up to wake her daughter.

A few moments later, Jenny returned with Bitsy.

The dragon child was wide-awake and dressed for company.

"Bitsy," Said David, "This is the Lady Shadow."

Lady Shadow held out her hand to the young girl. "Hello Bitsy."

Bitsy shifted to dragon form and sniffed carefully at Lady Shadow. "I don't smell evil in her." Bitsy stated positively.

"Manners." Jenny chided gently.

Bitsy shifted back to human form again and took Lady Shadow's hand with a curtsy. "I meant no offense," she said to the Felinoid.

"None taken." was the reply.

David relaxed just a bit.

Jenny took Bitsy over to the fireplace and showed her the images of the traitors. "Remember these well, they are evil and intend to slay you and all of us if they can."

Bitsy shifted halfway to dragon at the thought of someone wanting to harm her family. Then she regained control. She glared at the images in the crystal balls, burning them into her memory.

"Most impressive child you have." Lady Shadow said softly to 'Lyssa.

"Yes, we are proud of her," replied the erstwhile succubus. When Bitsy had been filled in, she whispered in Jenny's ear and sat back with a satisfied look.

Jenny looked at her. Bitsy made a little 'go ahead" motion. Jenny turned to Lady Shadow. "Have you ever asked old Mad Tom the hermit about your daughter?"

"Who is this 'Mad Tom'?" Lady Shadow asked, puzzled.

"He's a hermit that lives here, and in other realms," spoke up Bitsy. "I'm not sure I understand

him myself, but his home has doors into all the worlds."

"I have never heard of him." Lady Shadow said, "At least, not as more than myth and legend."

"Oh, he's quite real." Said Prissy and Jenny together.

They told Lady Shadow about how Mad Tom had helped Bitsy and her parents re-unite.

"Once we've taken care of this plot," David said. "We'll take you to him personally. I can't say if he can help, but it is worth a try."

Lady Shadow wanted desperately to go running to find this hermit and ask him about her daughter, but she knew that would be suicide before they had put down the rebellion.

She had waited this long, she could wait a bit longer.

David had one of the maids assign suitable rooms to Lady Shadow, and they all retired for the night. David made triple sure that his wards and defenses were tight and in order. Then he settled down to sleep. It would be a long night.

David sent Bitsy through the permanent door into Tuck's house bright and early.

Tuck came back through within moments, carrying Bitsy on his shoulder, much to the young dragons delight. "I have a job for you and Bitsy here." David said.

"What can I do for you then?" asked Tuck.

"I want an amulet made of the same alloy that my hand is made of." Said David. "I want to have it enchanted to take Bitsy to safety in case of danger."

"Anything to keep the Little One safe." Said Tuck fervently.

Staffet pouted a bit. "I don't want to be separated from you again." She said.

"And I stand a better chance of surviving if I know you're safe." replied 'Lyssa.

Unable to refute that logic, no matter how much she wanted to, Bitsy nodded her reluctant assent.

David took Tuck to the Library pocket dimension and helped set the anchor for the escape spell in the apartment.

Back at the mansion, Tuck and Bitsy went back out to the smithy. Bitsy let her power flow into the small bracelet as Tuck shaped the spell that would yank her out of danger. Tuck set the amulet on a hair trigger response for automatic activation. Or else Bitsy or any of her adopted parents, or Tuck, could activate it by speaking a code word, or a simple act of will.

By noon, a messenger arrived from Marad. He handed 'Lyssa the scroll and vanished.

'Lyssa took the scroll to David. He scanned it for traps mundane and magical. Finding none, he broke the seal and unrolled the scroll.

* To the Lord David Porter. I, Lord Marad state that my brother, Lord Maran has been sending raiding parties into my domain. These invaders steal my peasants, hinder commerce, and destroy valuable property and crops. I beseech thee to come to the Great Hall to render Justice. *

David snorted a laugh. It had to be a trap.

The messenger from Lord Maran arrived moments later, bearing a scroll that made almost identical counter complaints against Lord Marad.

David called the family together. As an afterthought, he included Lady Shadow in the war council as an advisor.

"I am going to take Prissy with me this time." David announced.

'Lyssa and Jenny objected vigorously.

"No, I need 'Lyssa here to defend the mansion, Bitsy I want here to be safer and to shore up her mothers defenses. Jenny can help keep watch and render medical aid if needed."

Prissy almost spoke up to say that she would happily forgo the privilege of walking into a known trap. A look from David quickly settled her down.

"The Little One's bracelet is ready."

David looked over with interest. "Let's see it Tuck."

Tuck brought out a folded cloth. He opened the folds to show an iridescent band sized to fit over Bitsy's hand while in human form.

"Put it on Sweetie." David said.

Bitsy took the bracelet. It wasn't as heavy as it looked. She bunched her fingers into a point and slipped the bracelet on. With a bright flash, the bracelet contracted to fit snugly around her wrist. It fused with her body in much the same way that David's hand had grafted itself to his stump. "Well, that's not coming off," remarked Prissy.

Bitsy stroked her arm and the bracelet carefully. It was warm and felt like her own skin.

She shifted to Dragon form, and the bracelet shifted with her, appearing as a golden stripe

of scales running around her foreleg, just above her fore claw.

"I still don't like being left behind." Staffet grumbled before she shifted form.

"I'll bring over my stock of enchanted weapons and armor for the mansion staff. And I'll bring a few friends who like a good fight," said Tuck. Then before David could say anything, the giant was gone back into his realm.

David stood and kissed his wives.

"Lady Shadow, I will leave you here to help defend the mansion, and if I don't survive, I charge you to raise Bitsy and care for my wives."

"My Lord, I accept." Lady Shadow bowed.

David looked over at Prissy. "Are you ready Honey?"

Prissy glared up at him. "Hell no I ain't ready. I ain't NEVER gonna be ready for this crap. But let's go." and she slipped her hand into his.

David smiled down at the tiniest of his wives. Then he shifted them to the Great Hall.

Marad was nervous. Not only was he engaged in the most blatant treason to hit this realm in millennia, but those... those... CREATURES! The ones who had poured into his dining room just as he was sitting down to a supper of roasted peasant virgin. He had barely escaped with his life! His troll army guards barely slowed them down enough for him to make his getaway.

Giant cats, weasels the size of bears, blood maddened humans, other things he couldn't bring himself to describe even in his own mind! And all of them after him!

Marad shuddered. And from what he had heard, his partners in treason had received similar visitations at about the same time. Only 5 of the original plotters survived. And none of them unhurt.

Still, the trap was laid well and true.

Now to hope that the bitch kitty Lady Shadow hadn't warned the usurper. Or, if she had warned him, that he would either not believe her, or come unprepared.

Prissy was surprised when she popped out not in the great hall, but in front of Mad Tom's cabin.

The door opened and the familiar figure of the old hermit appeared, beckoning. "Come in my dear, I have been expecting you." As if in a trance, Prissy found herself walking forward toward the open doorway.

Inside, Mad Tom ushered her to a seat and offered her some spicy smelling herbal tea. "Relax," said the old hermit. "We have a while to wait, and much to talk about, you and I."

David popped into the Great Hall alone. He glanced at where Prissy should have been holding his hand. Nothing.

Oh shit.

David's feet had barely hit the floor when a gate opened horizontally beneath his boots.

David was not quick enough with the levitation to avoid plunging through the portal.

The doorway snapped shut with a blue spark like an electric arc.

Marad turned to Lord Canis and Lord SSSS. "My brother is already leading our combined forces to besiege Porters mansion. We have over 30,000 troops between us. This should not take long."

Jenny came down from the shielded observation tower to report.

"The enemy army is composed of Trolls, Various types of the Undead, Wyverns, swamp creatures, lizard men, and giant and normal sized snakes of al kinds, and of course humans, mostly infantry, supported by cavalry and archers. There is also a large force of humans who appear to be from David's home realm. They have guns and what appear to be very big guns. And a machine that seems to crawl along the round with a big gun in front."

Bitsy fed more power into the house shields. She had read about artillery and tanks in the library. She only hoped the magical shields would hold against them.

Tuck arrived through the permanent gateway with a few dozen men and women equally as massive as he was. And all armed to the teeth.

Lady Shadow sent word through the doorway into Tuck's realm. The message would be passed back into this realm, and to her domain as fast as possible.

Some reinforcements would come through the other realm; others would hit the besieging armies from the rear. But all this would take time.

'Lyssa kept shifting back and forth between her battle form and her human form nervously. She had never fought a siege before.

Fortunately, with the gate to Tuck's world permanently open, as well as the Library pocket dimension to retreat to, they could not be starved out.

But neither were their resources infinite. And constant pressure would eventually erode the

defensive shields.

A brawny redheaded giantess came forward carrying a massive crossbow. "I can make them a little cautious, you bet. Just get me up someplace high."

The first artillery round from the offworlders exploded against the house shields, shaking everyone inside and frightening some of the staff.

"Jenny, show this lady where the observation tower is please." Said 'Lyssa.

Another giant came up to 'Lyssa. He also carried a great crossbow. "Where is me sister Rose going?" He asked. "Up to the observation tower to see what she can do from there." replied 'Lyssa.

Another artillery shell hit the shields and exploded harmlessly. Rose's brother hefted his crossbow. "So the lass is doing a bit o' sniping is she?"

CRASH! Another artillery shell, from above this time, accompanied by sulphurous cursing and swearing "I'll follow her up and see if we canna teach the louts that we dinna appreciate the noise they be making."

CRASH!

The giant followed his sister at a trot that shook the mansion only a tab less than the cannon fire.

A short while later, the artillery fire abruptly stopped. Voices could be heard screaming down from the observation tower in gleeful taunts. "Got ye that time ye bugger! I'll be ye'll nae be tryin' that trick again soon!"