Dawn's Second Chance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Janine stiffened, keeping her feet firmly planted, not making a move to reach for the envelope. "If you'll leave it over there on the table. I'll make sure they get it," she said calmly as she could. "As you can see," she gestured to the ribbon around her feet, "I'm kind of tied up at the moment."

The edges of Roark's lips curled in a maniacal smile. Once he took over, he was going to let this one live...for a while. "Do you require assistance?"

"No, I think I can manage." She balled her hands into fists to hide their trembling. The closer the man got, the thicker the air around her became with the aura of menace he projected. This wasn't a social call and he was no friend. "May I tell them whom the gift is from?" Her knees quivered, threatening to buckle beneath her. And her heart pounded in her chest. Something he was sure to hear.

"Roark," he replied nodding. "Please extend to them my wish for their continued happiness. They may call on me if they ever find themselves in need of the smallest of favors."

"I'll be sure they know." Janine couldn't stop her body from shaking as he drew close. Only a few feet separated them. Desperately, she sent out a psychic alarm. "Is there an address to send a thank you card?" she asked, her voice quavering with fear. She had to buy some time until the brothers got here.

Roark smiled at her. The smell of her fear filled the space between them. It was pungent and bitter in his nose, so alluring and tempting. Too bad dining on the hostess was such a poor display of manners. His fangs sprung out, throbbing with the need to taste her. "I believe Dane knows the address." He trapped her eyes, locking her wide gaze to his. "It's quite a generous gift, please do not leave it unattended."

"I won't." Janine's voice was weak and small. Her heart thudded dangerously fast in her chest as her adrenaline kicked in. She knew better than to try to make a run for it. She wouldn't get free of the clearing before he had her. She forced her eyes down, looking away from his entrancing gaze.

"Thank you so much... Miss? I do not believe I caught your name."

"I didn't offer it." She locked her knees in place fearful they'd fail her. She sucked in a breath as he took her hand and lifted it to his lips planting a light kiss on her knuckles. His lips were warm and smooth, soft on her skin. But, the softness and warmth was an illusion. She knew what he really was. A killer. She tried to still her shaking hand all but ripping her fingers out of his grasp.

Roark tipped his head. Oh yes, he was going to have some fun with this one when he took control. Names had power. And the woman knew it. He plucked her name from her head as easily as one might pluck a juicy, ripe apple from a branch. "Janine. I bid you good day. I really must move along." The spring breeze carried the scent of The Sons. He heard their footsteps getting closer, crashing through the surrounding forest, closing in. He was unarmed and wasn't willing to risk an altercation. Darting over the edge of the bluff, he disappeared into the canopy of trees.

"Shit!" Janine sank to the ground, trembling and shaking with fear. She lowered her face into her hands and let loose a shower of tears. That had been too close. Her life had been in real danger and she was alone. She curled into a ball exhaling a relieved breath as Lance and Bryce bounded into the clearing, followed by John Mark, Dane, and Patrick.

Dane knelt beside Janine and checked her over. "Are you ok?" he asked, frowning at her tear-streaked face. The scent of her fear hung heavily in the air. He sniffed the breeze. There was an undercurrent, sweet and unmistakable. Rogue.

Patrick skidded to a stop, glancing at Janine. She was fine. Shaken up, but, otherwise fine. He lifted his nose, catching the trail. "I'm on it," he said, leaping over the steep side of the bluff. John Mark was fast on his heels following him. He had the scent he needed to follow the trail while it was still fresh. He could console Janine later.

"Janine. You'll be ok," Dane said softly. "The woods are full of warriors and trackers. He won't come back." Dane longed to join the chase. But, first things first, he had to make sure Janine was uninjured. It was his duty as a leader.

Janine sniffled. Not only was she still frightened. But, Patrick hadn't bothered to stop and check on her. That hurt her more than the thought of the danger she could have been in. There might not have been any danger if Patrick had gotten out of bed this morning to help her. "Please don't let his ruin Alex's day. Please don't tell her."

"Ok, we won't. It'll be our secret until after the wedding." Dane smiled down at Janine and gave her hair a tousle. "You ok."

Janine took Dane's hand and pulled herself up off the ground. "Yeah. I've got to get this done." She glanced at her watch. There wasn't much time left. "He left a present for Alex and Chance on the table. How did he know about the wedding?"

Dane huffed and checked the envelope's contents, a thick stack of hundred dollar bills. He counted and sniffed each one. But, he couldn't detect any taint on them. He pocketed the envelope, intending to have Toby check each bill under heavy scrutiny in the lab. "I don't know how he found out. But, I intend to get to the bottom of it." He hoped there wasn't another spy in their midst. The discovery of Neil's betrayal had almost crushed their spirits. He didn't know if his brothers could endure it again.

"Dane," Janine said biting her bottom lip as he turned to walk back to the compound. "Can someone stay with me? It won't take me long to finish up." She was embarrassed at her fear and weakness, ashamed. But, she needed to keep away from Alex until she was calm again and she was afraid, despite Dane's reassurances, the man would come back.

"Sure." Dane smiled. He sifted through his options, choosing Bryce. He was already on the bluffs, skimming through the perimeter of brush checking for stray footprints and any traces of more rogues. He didn't want Janine to be left alone for a second. Today had been too close. If she were afraid, he'd see to it that she felt protected.

Bryce trotted over to Janine bowing low. "At your service."

Janine smiled pushing the fear out of her mind. "Thanks." She directed Bryce to the boxes of clear lights that needed to be strung through the trees. She took a deep breath and focused on releasing herself from the lengths of ribbon still wrapped around her feet. She would think about Patrick later. Much later, when she was ready to evaluate her mounting doubts about him.

Chapter 56

Alex squirmed as her mother fussed over her hair. She had heard the commotion echoing through the collective consciousness of her brothers and wanted to know what all the fuss was about. "Stop it," she ordered, batting her mom's hands away from her face. "What's going on? Why isn't Janine here?"

"She's still up on the bluffs decorating," Leigh answered. She enjoyed these last few moments with her daughter and as much as she loved Janine, she was glad to have Alex to herself. "I can't wait to see you in that dress."

Alex carefully wiggled into the dress not wanting to mess up her hair. Her mother had worked so hard to wind the short lengths into a French twist. Alex held out her arms as her mother tied the leather straps of the white dress in place. Fringe decorated with beads and feathers dangled from the edges of the dress and jangled with each shift of her weight.

Leigh dabbed her eyes and fished for a Kleenex. "You're so beautiful." She sniffed and sighed heavily.

******

Janine rushed to get ready, quickly showering and doing her hair. Decorating at the bluffs had taken most of the day, well into the evening. And she was really running behind. She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Frowning, she removed the diamond stud earrings Patrick had given her for Valentine's Day. To her they were a glimmering reminder of everything she couldn't have and ever wanted. His heart.

She was going along with Alex's demands and wearing a traditional dress. The light tan leather was stiff and itchy. And did nothing for her figure. But, she would endure. She resisted the urge to flush the diamond studs down the toilet and dropped them into her makeup case instead. Flipping off the light as she left the room.

*****

Daylight faded fast yielding to the soft light of evening and evening to the velvet darkness of night. Chance stood on the bluffs, accompanied by the brothers. He had been given a brief report of what had happened earlier and was thankful Janine was ok. He smoothed the leather leggings down and adjusted the blade strapped to his hip, waiting impatiently for the ceremony to begin.

Janine and Alex walked to the bluffs, careful not to muss their dresses. Alex couldn't help the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach as she looked at Janine. Something was wrong. Janine was usually so talkative and bubbly. Tonight, all her pep was gone and there was a look of sadness buried deep in her eyes. She gently placed a hand on Janine's shoulder. "Honey, are you alright?"

Janine smiled and nodded. She was never very good at keeping things from Alex. But, now was not the time to speak her mind. She was still sorting through her feelings and couldn't put them into words if she tired. "I'm so happy for you." Her statement was the truth. She loved Alex and Chance with all her heart. She hugged Alex when they reached the edge of the clearing. "Here we go," she whispered as she walked forward. Always the bridesmaid, she thought, forcing a smile.

Alex looked up into her dad's eyes. His blue eyes twinkled with pride and happiness as he returned her stare. "Dad, I love you."

Alexander squeezed his daughter's arm and tucked her fingers in the crook of his elbow. "I love you too baby girl." He led her out of the woods, delivering her to Chance's side.

Chance knew he had a stupid cheesy grin splayed across his face. But, he didn't care. He took Alex's hand from her father's and grasped it tightly in his. Turning, he faced Dane.

Dane held the ceremonial dagger in his palm. He prayed to the Goddess and to the Ancestors to bless the couple and those in attendance. After the prayer he turned to Chance, waiting.

"Ni haw-ku-nah-ga, you are my wife," Chance said, resting a hand over Alex's rapidly beating heart.

Alex looked up into Chance's eyes and smiled at the love she saw. "Ni wahisu, you are my husband," she said her arm crossed over his, her hand resting on his chest feeling the pounding of his heart beneath her fingertips.

Dane took the dagger, cutting into his wrist with the sharp point and draining a small amount of his blood into the cup. Taking Chance's wrist Dane pierced the skin, turning his bleeding wrist sideways. He added Chance's blood to the mix. Gently, he took Alex's wrist and did the same. Swirling the blood, Dane lifted the ceremonial chalice to his lips and took a sip. After he finished, he handed the cup to Chance, tipping it as he rested the cup against Chance's lips. After Chance had drunk, he passed the cup to Alex and drained the rest of the contents into her mouth. Smiling he turned the couple out to the crowd. Two lives were now joined as one.

Sounds of clapping and shouts of celebration rang in Alex's ears. She smiled up to Chance and lifted her face as he landed a kiss on her lips. Her heart sailed on currents of happiness as she rested her hand in his and led the ceremonial wedding dance.

******

The trackers and warriors scoured the woods, diligently looking for any signs of trouble. How Roark was able to slip past them was still a mystery. The trail had grown cold just before the woods thinned at the edge of town. He'd disappeared without a trace.

Patrick cursed, tracing another circle along the trail he'd already tracked. Nothing. Janine had been in danger and he hadn't come through for her. He cursed himself for not getting out of bed and going to the bluffs with her this morning. He should have been there, keeping her safe. And now, he was retracing his footsteps following a cold trail, failing her again. She could have been killed. Didn't she have any idea of how dangerous the world was for her? This time he meant it when he vowed, he'd never allow her to leave the compound unescorted again. It wasn't safe. He couldn't risk losing her.

*******

Toby danced with Anna, holding her hand tightly as they gyrated around the bonfire. The celebration was tinted with an air of wariness. Somewhere out there lurked a rogue, a dangerous one that threatened them all. He had to make his move soon and get her moved into the compound where he was sure she'd be safe. He was devising a plan on how to go about it. Tomorrow afternoon she'd be leaving going back to the city, headlong into an environment that he couldn't control and into dangers he couldn't foresee.

At least the beginning of the week would be busy. Dane was beefing up security, moving cameras and adding more. He wanted stronger computer safeguards placed. Somehow Roark had found out about the wedding. Toby admitted it was possible that the video feeds had been hacked into. He hadn't thought it wasn't possible before, given the safety measures already in place, but there was always a way in for anyone with patience. Nobody practiced patience like a vampire. He smiled down at Anna, now he'd never get to see her strip. All video conferencing was cut off for the time being.

*****

Sam and Marcus scoured the woods. Looking for anything that might tip them off as to how Roark had gotten into their territory undetected. But, they found nothing. Obviously, part of the information Neil had stolen contained a schematic of where the cameras were hidden nestled amongst the branches of the trees. It was the only way the Rogue Master could have avoided the brothers' watchful eye.

The second unanswered question was, how did he avoid the trackers who continuously patrolled the woods surrounding the compound? Each one of the trackers denied detecting any scent that might of alerted them to his presence. How did he cover his scent so effectively? Alexander suggested that perhaps he'd used the same kinds of scents that hunters used during deer season to cover their scent. That was the only plausible suggestion that they had to go by.

******

Alex smiled as Chance ran his hand along Alex's thigh and grasped the garter. She wasn't throwing her flowers after the reception. There were only two single women in attendance and she wasn't about to pit one against the other. But, there were still plenty of eligible men available for the picking. Alex laughed, watching as Chance threw the scrap of lace into the air and the guys scrambled after it. Toby dove in like a linebacker, keeping a tight grip on his prize. Waving it in his fist as he smiled in Anna's direction. Was she next?

Alex passed out a round of hugs. The wedding ceremony and reception had been beautiful. The trees twinkled with thousands of tiny clear bulbs. The decorations were superb, Janine was coming into her own as a wedding planner, it wasn't outlandish as Alex originally feared, but tastefully done. Finally, after a night of smiling and dancing, she was ready to be alone with her husband. She laughed as he swooped her up and lifted her into his arms, waving goodbyes over his shoulder.

Chance bolted through the woods with Alex in his arms. "Finally alone," he said stopping to lower her feet to the ground and holding her tightly in his arms. He landed a kiss firmly on her lips relishing their soft feel against his. His wife.

Alex wrapped her arms around Chance's neck pulling her body closer. Reciprocating his kiss. She hoped their lives would be long and happy, filled with moments just like this one. She closed her eyes, seeing a vision in her mind's eye. The vision was of Chance and her, standing hand in hand many years from now, their hair tinted with strands of gray, looking out over the bluffs, watching the sunrise, bathing them in its golden glow. They were still happy and still very deeply in love.

Epilogue

The goddess granted Lucien one final glance into the world of the living. Flanked by her protective wolves, the guardians of the thin barrier between the land of the living and the spirit world, he peered down at the celebration. For months he'd wandered, torn between crossing and staying behind. He had unfinished business. Each passing day it grew harder for him to stay at the water's edge and not cross.

His was a restless spirit. He had to know. At last, his soul could rest in peace. Alex was happy. She lived. She loved. Not without him. But, because of him. The sacrifice of his life wasn't for nothing. He'd saved his brothers. And more importantly, he'd saved her. He had no anger, no bitterness, and no resentment of her happiness. Life was for the living. And Alex after wandering in a barren land, trapped between the truth she knew, that she had to go on, and reluctantly clinging to him, was finally living the fullness of her life.

It was what he wanted for her. To move on and live. With a soft kiss carried on the spring breeze to tousle her hair and caress her cheek, he let her go and with her, his hold on this shadowy never land between worlds. He wished her the best. And gave her all of his love. His feet carried him to the river's edge and he waded into its cool depths. Resolved and at last at peace. Someday, a long time from now, they would see each again.