Dawn's Second Chance

Story Info
The Native Dawn Series, book 6, Rogue Dawn book 2.
112.1k words
4.83
10.7k
14
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
msnomer68
msnomer68
297 Followers

Native Dawn Series: book 6. Rogue Dawn book 2: Alex and Chance's story

Dawn's Second Chance

By: J. Lynn Scott

Chapter 1

The meeting was intense and heated. Both sides argued back and forth in relentless debate, unable to come to agreement. Some felt the rogue threat should be immediately neutralized. The rogues hunted down and vengeance served swiftly. While others wanted time to weigh all options before deciding on a course of action. Both sides looked at Alex with anticipation, waiting for answers.

Alex nervously shifted in her seat and dragged her fingers through her hair. A totally frustrated gesture brought on by the weight of the many sets of eyes boring down on her. She had nothing else to tell them. The vision their Goddess had given her served its purpose. She'd saved Dane's life. She couldn't turn it on and off, no matter how desperately the brothers needed her to. Her gift didn't work like that. The brothers treated her with careful, respectful reverence, and even some measure of trepidation, weary of her talent. "I'm sorry," she said, staring down at the table's sleek wood grain surface to avoid their stares. "I don't have anything else for you."

Alex left the meeting and paced the halls, ignoring the echoing voices of the brothers and their questions rattling in an endless stream through her mind. She couldn't control what the Goddess, Kokumthena, chose to show her. She was only grateful that she had gotten to Dane in time. Locking herself in her suite, she turned on the TV loudly, hoping to drown out the chatter in her head. Praying another vision would come, one that would give them the answers they so desperately sought.

Marcus knew his situation was precarious. The trust the brothers had in him was waning. Since the attack, he'd been forced to wear the tracking device again. It wasn't fair. He wasn't the one who'd tried to shoot their leader, Dane. But nonetheless, he was paying for Neil's act of stupidity. Who could blame them? The Sons had plenty to protect and plenty of reasons not to trust outsiders. And Neil had made sure to prove their paranoia was justified.

He thought back to the blustery late November night when he and Neil had stumbled across the nest. At the time, he hadn't thought much about it. Deciding to steer clear, he'd led Candace away from the rogues, leaving Neil to be the diplomat. It seemed Neil had more than diplomacy on his mind. He was helping the rogues. Acting as a mole and collecting critical bits of information the rogues could use to bring about the Son's demise. Fortunately, for the brothers and especially Dane, Neil got impatient and laid his cards on the table too soon.

At one time, Marcus had thought of joining the nest. Leaving and heading out, but his love for Candace held him back, binding him to the Sons. When Candace fell back in love with Will, her son's father, Marcus had been devastated. But he loved her then and still did. And he would always be there for her, no matter what. Even though she was now a married woman, it didn't matter. He had a virtual eternity to wait. And as much as he was a bastard for wishing it, he hoped she'd eventually wise up and chose him over Will.

Hesitantly, he raised his voice, interrupting the heated argument. He had an idea. It just might work. He wasn't marked and wasn't technically a member of the Sons. Maybe, he could go to the nest, pretend to be a rogue, earn their trust, and infiltrate their ranks. If it didn't work, his life would be much shorter than he'd anticipated. But, at least he would die serving a cause he believed in. He spoke up, his voice quivering nervously as he explained his plan.

"Absolutely not!" Candace pounded her fist against the wooden table. She wouldn't let Marcus place himself in danger. "The risk is too great," she protested. She sat down in her seat, crossing her arms smugly, thoroughly expecting her new husband and her son to back her.

"Now wait Candy," Will said hesitantly. "Marcus, that is a good idea. You're the only one who can get in. The first thing the rogues will look for is our mark. You just might be on to something." Candace huffed in irritation, annoyed by how quickly he'd changed sides. Will didn't want to piss off his new bride. But, Marcus was the most likely candidate for the job. Marcus was street smart, loyal to the Sons, and a survivor to his very core. If anyone could get in, do what needed to be done, and get out in one piece. It was Marcus.

Candace's jaw dropped at her husband's defection to Marcus's side. "What about his scent? They're going to know he isn't rogue." She huffed vehemently, "He smells too much like us."

"That's easily fixed," Janine chimed in enthusiastically. "Between Alexander, Leigh, Anna, and myself, we can have him smelling putrid in no time." She ignored the warning growl escaping Patrick's lips, silencing him with a sharp elbow to the ribs. It was time she did something important. It was about time the brothers took her seriously. She was more than just a wedding planner, party organizer, and whirlwind shopper. It was time she stood up and got some recognition for her contribution around here.

Patrick crossed his arms, scowling at Marcus. He was right on board with the plan until Janine piped up. "What are you going to do when the rogues kill? Are you going to join in? Don't you think they'll be suspicious when you don't? Are you going to just stand there and let them do it?" He was certain the questions he threw at Marcus would quash the discussion. There had to be another way. One, that didn't involve Marcus risking his life, or worse, his capture, at the hands of the rogues. Patrick knew first hand what the rogues were capable of. And he would not wish the torture he'd suffered at their hands on anyone. Not even another rogue.

Dane rapped his knuckles on the table, silencing the group. "Marcus, can you pull this off? Can you get in, keep yourself safe, and get out? Can you get the rogues to trust you?"

"I think so. What's the worst that could happen?" Marcus shrugged. He'd seen the worst in the months before Candace led him onto the bluffs. He knew what he was getting into. Slinking into his seat, he winced against Candace's scowl of disapproval. She didn't like the thought of him risking his life and that in itself was enough of a reason for him to do it.

"The search of Neil's quarters turned up nothing. We don't know what information he may have passed to the rogues. Our sources indicate that the nest is too close to our territory to be ignored any longer. We need to infiltrate, gather intel, and come up with a plan. The last thing we want is another battle." Dane sighed and took his seat at the head of the table.

Talk of the war between Krios and the Sons left him raw. Months had passed since the rogue's defeat. But, the pain never left him. And the warning still shouted loudly in his mind. It could happen again. "We're not in a position to speculate. This Rogue Master is powerful. Influential. His reach may very well extend past his current location. Kiros and Kore were dangerous because they were bat shit crazy. This son of a bitch is dangerous, because he's not."

Dane was their leader and his decision was not easily or lightly made. The brothers respected him and trusted him with their lives. "I don't see another way." His glance roamed over the faces gathered around the table, seeking confirmation. He knew the hell and the danger Marcus willingly offered to walk into. Rogues were dangerous, unpredictable, and violent by reputation. Marcus might not come back. Or if Marcus did, it might be too late for him. He could turn rogue and be subject to the highest measure of punishment the Sons had. Death. "All in favor?"

A hush filled the room as heads reluctantly nodded in agreement. None of them wanted to admit it, to see a friend willingly sacrificed for the greater good. But, there didn't seem to be any other way. "Ok," Dane said, nodding his head. The vote was unanimous. Marcus was going in. "Toby take Marcus to the lab and work on setting up communications. John Mark, Patrick, select weaponry for the trip. Robbie, we'll need to use your house. Marcus can stay there until our scent fades. Janine, gather up the donors and meet him there." Assignments delegated, Dane left the group to get busy on carrying out their tasks.

Chapter 2

Alex heard a gentle knock on her bedroom door. But, much like the cacophony of voices in her head, chose to ignore it. Turning up the volume on the TV a few more decibels to drown out the noise. Sooner or later, her visitor would get the hint and leave. She didn't want to talk to anybody. She just wanted to be left alone. The knocking grew louder with the rise in the volume of the plasma screen TV. Insistently and relentlessly, the knocking continued, demanding an answer. With a huff, grumbling under her breath, she turned down the TV and stomped to the door, planning to give her unwanted guest an ear full.

Chance ran his hands nervously through his dark hair and stood waiting outside Alex's door. He knew she was inside. Thanks to his new vampire senses, he could hear her breathing under the din of chatter from the TV. He smiled at the string of obscenities she muttered under her breath as she opened the door to scowl at him. "Hi," he said with a smile in answer to the annoyed glint in her brown eyes. "I thought you'd like to know what happened at the meeting."

"Not particularly," Alex replied, intent on slamming the door in his face, only to find Chance's big foot blocking it open. She glared up at him beyond annoyed with his intrusion. "Do you need something?" she asked through gritted teeth.

True to her redheaded temperament, Alex practically growled at his persistence. Chance stifled the urge to snicker at her fury and leaned casually on the doorjamb. Thanks to a bit of intuition, he'd worn heavy lug soled boots instead of tennis shoes. Otherwise, she would have slammed the door in his face and crushed his foot in the process. Unfettered by her anti-social behavior, he asked, "Can I come in?"

"Are you going to stand out in the hall all day if I say no?" Alex suppressed the urge to roll her eyes at Chance's cocky, slightly crooked grin and the casual way he leaned on the door, coaxing it wider and his way in to her room with his broad shoulders. He was a behemoth of a male. Every inch of his six feet-three, two hundred-twenty pound frame was nothing but lean, powerful muscle. Strands of dark hair dangled into his hazel eyes, softening his thick brows and lending an air of playful boyishness to his chiseled facial features.

Alex liked Chance better as a human. At least then, she could almost look him in the eye. At five-feet two inches and one hundred-ten pounds, she'd still had to look up to see his face, but not nearly as much. He'd been big then, probably about five feet eleven and a lean one hundred-sixty pounds. A powerhouse of a guy, for a human. Transformed in to his warrior's body, he dwarfed her and made her feel small and helpless. She didn't need his help in that department.

These days, it was a theme around the compound. Nobody talked about Lucien. Nobody dared to say anything that might upset her. Considering her gift, she was lucky anyone spoke to her at all. They tiptoed around her, terrified that she might catch a glimpse of their future. What happened with Dane was a fluke. She spent most of her days translating ancient scrolls and cataloging relics from other places and times. Even her best friend, Janine, treaded lightly in her presence; when she wasn't busy trying to give her a makeover, fashion advice, or for all her good intentions, butting in on her life.

Chance was different. Laughable really, in that big body he had yet to adapt to. Clumsily tripping over his big feet. Always tangled up in his long limbs. Accidentally breaking things when he failed to realize his strength. He reminded her of a big, playful puppy that didn't realize one day he would grow into a ferocious dog.

Chance grinned at Alex's question. Everyone in the compound viewed him with a fair measure of awe. Constantly referring to him as 'Will's Son' as if possessing half of his father's DNA was something mystical and profound. Perhaps, to the brothers, it was. But, he hated being looked at, treated differently, because of it. Alex was one of the few living in the compound that saw him for who he truly was. Just Chance. Not 'Will's Son'. "Probably," he answered sheepishly. He stepped under the threshold and tried like hell not to trip over his big feet and face plant into her carpet as she begrudgingly motioned him inside. "Thanks."

"Is there a purpose to your visit or is this just a social call?" Alex asked in the snarkiest tone she could muster. Undeterred and very much unwelcome, Chance flopped down on the loveseat and stretched out his long legs, making himself at home and planting his heavy, booted feet on her coffee table. The wood groaned beneath the strain. Irritated by his invasion of her space, she pushed his boots off the coffee table, glared at him, and took a seat on the couch beside him. Resentful of his intrusion, she crossed her arms over her chest and clamped her mouth shut. Chance was unusually intuitive for a guy and the sooner he realized that she didn't want company, the sooner he'd leave.

"You seem kind of tense. Want to talk about it?" Chance asked, opening the door for conversation. He knew she didn't want him here. She'd made that all too apparent in the way she stared down at the carpet and refused to look at him. Her lips were drawn tight in a pout. And her arms crossed over her chest, blocking him with her body language. But, she needed to talk to someone. If he waited her out, eventually, she'd talk.

"No," Alex replied in a huff. "It's just that everyone keeps looking at me like they expect me to do cheap parlor tricks or pull a crystal ball out of my ass and tell the future. I'm a vampire, not a psychic." She sighed, glad for the chance to vent and wrapped her arms around a throw pillow, nervously fingering the tassels with the tips of her fingers. "I don't know what they expect me to do."

"Hey, no one expects anything from you. They understand. Everyone is grateful that you were able to save Dane. They're just scared is all. They're grasping for any reassurances they can find," Chance replied, gently easing the pillow out of Alex's hands. "It's ok. You're putting too much pressure on yourself."

Alex sighed and fought back a snivel. "I guess. But, I feel like I'm letting everyone down." She dropped her head, resting her face in her cool palms, bent on hiding the frustrated tears welling in her eyes from Chance.

"No you're not letting anybody down." Chance smoothed back Alex's crimson waves and gently tucked them behind her ear. Tempted by the soft silky texture of her hair, reluctantly, he withdrew his hand and rested it on his lap.

"I'm glad you think so," Alex said.

"I do. And I'd kick anyone's ass that said anything to the contrary."

"I know you would." Alex grinned through her fingers at Chance. Looking up to return his smile. She was feeling better now. Chance always seemed to be able to chase away her feelings of doubt. And she'd come to partially rely on him to know when she needed pulled out of her deepest emotional muck. Janine was a girl friend. But, sometimes girl power wasn't enough. Sometimes, a girl needed a guy friend. And Chance was exactly what she needed.

"Now, that's what I want to see," Chance said. Lightly tracing the outline of her lips with his finger, he pushed the corners of her mouth up into a full, dazzling smile.

Alex closed her eyes for a moment, relishing the warmth of his fingertip against her lips. Quickly, she shook off the spark of something more hidden beneath the guise of friendship. He was her friend and nothing more. "Let's go hunt," she said, jumping up from the couch. All of a sudden, having him in her room invading her space was way too intimate and awkward, bordering on uncomfortable.

"I thought you'd never ask," Chance said, following Alex out of her room. He could still feel the softness of her lips on his fingertip. He pushed the glimmer he'd seen in her eyes far from his mind. She wasn't interested in him. Not like that. She'd made it perfectly clear. They were friends and nothing more. Good friends were hard to come by. And he valued Alex enough not to risk their friendship for anything more. No matter how badly he wanted it. How often the thought kept him awake at night, staring at the ceiling in longing. He'd patiently wait. Be there for her. And hope for the day when her heart finally healed and she was ready for more.

Chapter 3

"Janine," Patrick said with stern determination. He blocked the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest, effectively trapping her in the room. Damn it, he'd make her listen to reason one way or another. What she'd proposed to do was insane and unnecessary. And by god, he was not going to hear any more talk of her giving her wrist to Marcus. "You're not going to let him feed off you."

"It's my body and I'll do with it what I want," Janine huffed furiously as she tried to push her way around Patrick's body. The male stayed stubbornly rooted in the spot and refused to let her pass. "You don't have a say so."

Patrick grumbled intelligible words under his breath and ground his molars in irritation, trying desperately to keep his anger at bay. Janine was his girl, all five feet two inches- one hundred and ten pounds of her, irrevocably his. How could she even consider allowing another man at her wrist? Her blue eyes flashed in outrage at his refusal to let her pass. Stubbornly, she pursed her petal pink lips and glared up at him. "What's been going on with you lately?" he asked, softening his tone.

Janine looked at Patrick in disbelief. He didn't get it, did he? "I'm tired of hanging around here like an ornament. I want to prove my value." She puffed out her chest in defiance. "I want to be taken seriously for once."

"An ornament?" Patrick stammered in disbelief. Taken aback he blinked at her unsure of what to say. The words rankled him. Did she really think so little of herself? Life here at the compound would be very dull without her around. His life would be hardly worth living without her to spark things up. He was very close to begging her not to do it. His skin crawled at the thought of Marcus taking from her, at the thought of anyone taking from her. Why would she think she had to do something so drastic to prove her worth? "I do take you seriously."

"Well then, get out of the way and let me do my duty." Patrick stood in the doorway dumbfounded, fishlipping and staring at her as if she'd said something at least everyone hadn't thought about her a time or two. She did nothing of value except sit around and look pretty. She didn't work. She didn't have a home of her own. She barely had two nickels to rub together. He provided for her. The brothers put the roof over her head. And any money she spent came from their seemingly bottomless accounts. There was no way she could back down on her word. She would allow Marcus to feed from her. Her blood was the only thing of real value she had to give. And she would do it, without doubt or hesitation.

"At least let me come with you," Patrick pled softly. He hadn't considered how things seemed from her point of view. She didn't have much that was actually hers. Everything was provided for her. Janine had access to more money than even she could spend in a dozen lifetimes. She could buy anything she wanted. In his time, a woman would have been thrilled to be taken care of in such a manner. He'd never thought she might not be happy living that way. But, he could see it now. How carefully she'd hidden the truth of her unhappiness beneath her bubbly, flamboyant exterior. She wanted more than his money could buy. And her deepest desires were more expensive than anything he could ever afford.

msnomer68
msnomer68
297 Followers