Diane and the Copper

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I should imagine some fifteen years ago."

"Andy you know how the Income Tax dogs are. If there was any suspicion they would have got their teeth in years ago. Let it go"

"After all this time. You're right. Let sleeping Dogs lie."

I gave Diane the good news and the bad news. That there appeared to be no evidence against her father and that Terry had been strangled. She was happy that her father was off the hook then cried bitterly that Terry had coerced her into marrying her with that threat. Because of that she wasn't too upset upon hearing that her husband had been murdered.

"I bet it was that man." Was her only comment. "I got the feeling that he and Terry were doing something dodgy together. That's why Terry wanted me to have sex with him." I was certain she was right.

Diane's blood pressure had remained normal, indicating that her spleen was undamaged. She was told she could be discharged. The keys to her house were in the safe at the station. John returned them to Diane and Jacky volunteered to go and get some clothes for Diane. She got to my flat with three suitcases bulging at the seams. I must have looked surprised.

"It's not just for one day you know." Jacky told me. "She'll need all this if she's living here, unless you insist she runs around naked all the time." Pleasant thought but not practical. My smile told her where my mind was.

"Pervert!"

Diane was excited as I drove her from the hospital to my flat. I parked and helped her out then held her arm as we walked to the entrance. Because of the configuration of the old Bank the conversion would only allow four flats. One on the ground floor, two on the first and one, mine, on the top floor. The lobby was quite large as was the stairwell which allowed a lift to be installed. I was the only one who used the lift on a regular basis; neither of the two flats on the first floor had been sold. We reached my floor and Diane waited impatiently for me to open the door. It swing back and I surprised her by picking her up and carrying her over the threshold.

"There, you are officially installed as the mistress of this household." Her smile if anything was bigger than usual as I put her down, She immediately turned to hug me, the plastered arm bruising my ribs as it came between us.

"Is that mistress as in keeping house, or mistress as in someone who comes between mattress and mister?" I grinned.

"Both I hope."

"Both definitely." She replied. I stepped back outside and brought her bag in. Jacky had already hung the clothes she had brought from the house in my wardrobe so Diane brought little from the hospital. She happily wandered around familiarising herself with her new home. She joined me in the kitchen where I was heating some soup.

"I'm really here?" I smiled.

"Yes. You are really here."

"It seems like a dream, almost impossible, that within a few short weeks you came back into my life and now I am going to live the life I always wanted with my Pug."

After we had eaten the small snack I was insistent that Diane went straight to bed. She agreed only if she could have a bath first. I used a black plastic bag to waterproof the plaster cast, and then helped her into the hot water. She lay back and sighed happily.

"This is heaven." She closed her eyes and a smile came to her face. "Of course I will find it difficult to wash myself properly, so if there was a kind gentleman about he would offer to do that for me." I cleared my throat.

"May I offer my assistance?" She opened her eyes and winked.

"Offer accepted, but you have to wash everywhere."

"I intended to." I did, very much to both our delights. Carefully I washed her, under her arms, down her back my fingers reaching into the delightful crease where two globes conjoined. That made her gasp and she looked at me with an unspoken question. I just smiled telling her that it was she that insisted I wash everywhere. I paid particular attention to her breasts to our mutual pleasure and of course to her vulva. Her only comment were sudden sharp breaths and gasps. Water was sloshing around readily and getting my clothes wet. They were removed as they got wet piece by piece until I was as naked as she. Diane eyed my erection with interest.

"Pug. My handsome friend there looks as if he needs attention. My little lady down there needs attention too. Do you think there is a way that your gentleman could take care of my lady?" We hurriedly dried and went to the bedroom.

Her body was still badly bruised and I was fearful of hurting her. The problem was resolved when I suggested that she mount me, and then I wouldn't be putting pressure on her. Diane had never made love this way before and needed my encouragement to place her limbs. Her eyes widened with amazement as she sank down on me. She took to this different position eagerly with many cries and moans of ecstasy. She forgot her cast as she climaxed and immediately after collapsed on me as I filled her with my contribution. The cast hit my shoulder this time.

"God! Pug, that was amazing, you were so deep in me." She was gasping for breath. "I knew that we were going to have lots of fun together. Can we do that again?" She grinned. "Or was there something else you were going to teach me?"

My compassionate leave came to its conclusion and I had to report for a late shift. Jacky offered to be there for Diane which relieved my worries about leaving Diane alone. She still spent a lot of time in bed, but her time of being up and around was getting longer every day despite my advice to take it easy. Those worries were replaced quite quickly a day later when Detective Superintendent Gascoigne arrived with his murder team. He wanted to interview me under caution, but I refused unless a solicitor was present. The duty solicitor couldn't come for at least two hours. This aggravated Gascoigne so he took pleasure in handing me a notice of suspension. I went back to my flat seething. Diane was surprised to see me back so early.

"I have been suspended." I told her.

"Why?"

"A Detective Superintendent Gascoigne wanted to interview me, I believe on suspicion of murdering your husband. He will probably be round here soon with a search warrant."

"What for?"

"He will be looking for clothes that I may have allegedly worn when I allegedly strangled Terry and allegedly set the fire." I said sarcastically.

"But you didn't." Diane cried. "You were at the hospital."

"I know. But Gascoigne will be putting the nurses under pressure to admit that they couldn't be sure that I was there all the time."

"Why would he do that?"

"To get a result. Gascoigne is a University entrant to the force, fast-tracked because of his degree. He has only been in the force six years yet already he is a Superintendent. In another six years he wants to be A.C.C. (Assistant Chief Constable). To do that he has to keep his record for successful investigations."

"By convicting the wrong man?"

"No. The police try to avoid that, it doesn't look good when the newspapers get hold of it. But he will put pressure on the man with most to gain from the crime. He sees you and I together. You were Terry's wife and you are now with me, so he wants to know if I brought that situation about by killing your husband. If I was the perpetrator then he will try for a result by putting sufficient pressure on me to get a confession."

Our conversation was interrupted by the door bell ringing. I opened the door to be confronted by Gascoigne, his Sergeant and a Constable. At the back of them was John Atherton.

"Pugin Anderson, I have a Warrant to search these premises." I stepped back allowing them to enter. As John came by he whispered.

"Gascoigne is not happy with me here. He seems to think I would suspect him of trying to plant evidence." The situation was grim but even so I had to smile at John's words.

The search was quick as Gascoigne went straight for my wardrobe. He was confounded by Diane's clothes at first, then finding my clothes examined them closely, he told the Constable to bag them all and take them away for Forensic examination. They even took my two uniforms. As if I would have gone down there, strangled Terry and set fire to the place in my uniform? Well I wouldn't need them at the moment. They turned out all the cupboards leaving everything scattered haphazardly over the floor. Diane looked on mystified. I explained in their hearing that they were looking for anything that may have contained paraffin. They found nothing, although they did bag a couple of containers. Frankly they would have been useless as they didn't have an airtight closure. Finally they left leaving us to tidy everything away.

CHAPTER NINE

The next day I was taken in for interview. This time the duty solicitor was there and the tapes were running. Gascoigne introduced me as Pugin Anderson and constantly called me Pugin, although he would draw out the name to make it sound like Poo-gin. I knew this was done to unsettle me. At one point I called him by his first name, Charles. That annoyed him.

"Remember my rank. I am Detective Superintendent Gascoigne, I outrank you." He shouted. The solicitor quietly put him right.

"Superintendent Gascoigne. You introduced my client to the tapes as plain Mr. Anderson, and not as Inspector Anderson. In intent making him a private person and not a member of the police force. As such your ranking has no bearing." Gascoigne didn't know where to look, although his sergeant had a little smirk on his face. There was a break and when he resumed he asked more questions. He worded them differently but in essence it was almost the same question and answer session as before. The fact that they couldn't ask any significantly different questions told me that the Forensic results were not to his liking and he was having them re-examined.

Two days later I was back at the Nick. Another interview. Gascoigne tried to suggest that they had found something on my clothes. I had been a copper for fifteen years and knew all the little tricks and subterfuges that an interviewing officer would try to trip up the suspect. It was quite amusing as I could see his ploys approaching well before he laid down the trap. Implying that they had found evidence was an old tactic and I refused to take the bait. I knew that they couldn't have found anything. He said he would re-interview me later and asked the custody sergeant to put me in the holding cell. Another scare tactic. The custody sergeant refused and called John Atherton who told Gascoigne that I would be in the canteen for an hour and after that was free to return home. His demeanour told the detective that he didn't think much about his methods. The interview later was a copy of the one in the morning only this time they suggested that one of the nurses was doubtful about my being at the hospital all that evening. It is quite possible that one of the nurses was confused, but there were three on duty that evening so that meant two were probably positive about my presence but of course he would ignore their statements. The solicitor reminded him that the interview had gone on for three hours, and I was allowed a break. Grudgingly he allowed me to leave about eight that evening. The following day they came for me again. I entered the interview room and my clothes were piled untidily on a table against one wall. I sat silently, refusing to say anything until the solicitor was there.

"Why?" He asked. "Have you something to hide?" I said nothing. The interview went very much as before. Gascoigne kept me there on and off for twelve hours all told. The solicitor unstrapped his wrist watch and put it in a prominent position on the table whenever the interview was resumed. A gentle reminder that time was passing and I was allowed breaks for refreshment. Gascoigne was not amused. It was getting late and eventually the solicitor had enough.

"Superintendent Gascoigne. We are going round and round in circles. It is obvious that you have no real evidence at all, so either charge my client or let him go." Gascoigne wouldn't admit a non result. He indicated the pile of clothes and told me ungraciously that I could have them back. He didn't offer me a lift home. I took clothes that I would need immediately and left the rest. Luckily Bob's sergeant, Harry saw me leaving and offered me a lift. He brought me up to date with what was happening.

"He's fucking mad, he couldn't get any of the nurses to suggest that you left the ward at all. They told him the doors were locked after nine in the evening so you couldn't get out without one of them unlocking the doors. The Guvnor wants to wring Gascoigne's neck, because he's wasting time on you whilst the obvious suspect, Radic is putting distance from the crime. The Super is going to call the A.C.C. if Gascoigne doesn't put you out of the frame." It was good to know your colleagues were with you.

Diane had spent these hours waiting and worrying. John had phoned her to let her know what was going on; even so she was imagining the worst. She rushed to me as I opened the door, and bruised my ribs again with her cast as she hugged me. We kissed and I assured her that everything was going to be fine. Her face was drawn with worry. I doubted mine was. I was aware of the tactics that Gascoigne was using. It could have been amusing but he was affecting the one I loved and that put his actions beyond the pale.

"Are you hungry?" She asked.

"Yes. I'll get something in a moment."

"I've made you Spaghetti Bolognaise. All it needs is to go in the microwave for three minutes."

"You've made it?" I said in astonishment. She nodded.

"But how? You can only use your left hand."

"Yes. It was slow, but you're my man and I did want to have something for you if and when you got back." I could imagine the time and trouble she would have taken to prepare that simple meal. My heart went out to her. I took Diane in my arms and held her tightly. She was sobbing. "I was so frightened Pug, that I wouldn't see you back, that they had arrested you or something. We have only just found each other; I didn't want to be parted from you so quickly." Her tears were a torrent down her cheeks. I took out my handkerchief and dabbed them dry.

"I think this was their last try. They haven't found anything on my clothes and from what Harry has told me they can't shake the nurses. The duty solicitor eventually dared him to charge me. He couldn't do that the CPS would have laughed at him. So I doubt that we will hear about it again. Now dry your eyes, let's see about this Spag Bog and how about we open a bottle of wine."

"Are you sure?" I nodded.

"Yes, I think a bottle of the Red is just what we need." I got a weak, watery smile.

"No silly. I mean about them taking you in again."

"Trust me, I'm a copper."

There was no summons the next day, nor the day after. Diane and I together tried to build some kind of normal life, but with the threat of yet another attempt by Gascoigne to shake my story it wasn't easy. Her bruises were gradually fading and with that the discomfort. Laying in bed, naked and holding each other close was balm to our senses. We connected as life partners as well as lovers. We talked in the dark our words interspersed with caresses and kisses.

"I can't give you a child." She mentioned in the darkness.

"I know." I murmured. I pulled her closer to me, emphasising that it didn't matter.

"You know?" She sounded surprised.

"Yes. I remember when you had to go for tests all those years ago, and they told you that your tubes weren't right and you would never be able to conceive. You told Caroline and Jacky and they must have said something to me."

"But you remembered." She said with astonishment in her voice. "You must have felt something for me to remember that."

"I did."

Her arm under the cast was itching terribly; she used a chopstick to get to the seat of that aggravation. She would occasionally take a Solpadol. Why does a knitting bone give so much pain? Apart from the mundane tasks of everyday life, preparing meals, cleaning the flat we had little to do. I had picked up the rest of my clothes from the Nick and decided to take a lot of them for cleaning. The inconsiderate way they had been handled by Gascoigne's team and the forensic guys had left many creases in them. We had walked down the High street to the Cleaners then wandered aimlessly window shopping I walked on Diane's left side to avoid knocking her injured arm after a while her hand crept into mine.

"I haven't held hands for years. I always liked it, but it is very special when it's your hand." We stopped at Jacky's for coffee. She welcomed us warmly.

"It is so good to see you two together at last." She winked at Diane. "Tell me Di. Is he good?" I doubt that Diane knew to what she was referring at first until she noticed Jacky's dirty grin. Smiling she rose to the occasion.

"Fantastic. And so inventive too." That got Jacky's attention.

"Go on." She urged.

"No. What we do together is our secret. Besides I know you couldn't keep your mouth shut, and I don't want lots of other women chasing after him. It's taken me fifteen years to get Pug, and I'm keeping him." Jacky was crestfallen.

"Spoilsport." She turned to me.

"What's happening Pug?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"Damned if I know. I assume that I am no longer in the frame for Terry's murder, but the suspension hasn't been lifted."

"When they do that, what do you do? Just return to work as if nothing had happened?"

"That's what supposed to happen, but I have been thinking about it, and I have almost made up my mind to resign." Diane turned on me.

"You didn't tell me about this."

"No, it was only an odd thought. I was letting it simmer a bit before talking it over with you."

"Why would you resign?"

"Having a suspension on your record is a bit of a hurdle. It's not supposed to affect your progress, but it does. I will probably remain an Inspector for the rest of my time in the Force. If John goes, any new Super will view me with suspicion. I will get the shitty jobs and the crap end of the roster all the time. If I leave now, I could probably get something else quite quickly. The security companies are always in the market for ex-coppers."

"Do you really want to leave?" Diane asked. I shook my head.

"No. But if that is what my job becomes I shall have to."

"Whatever you do, Pug. I am with you." I took her hand, pulling her gently, leaned close and kissed her.

"Oh shit. I told you once before, get a room get naked and get dirty. But not here. I'll lose my licence." Jacky could be relied upon to lower the tone. "Mind you, I could sell tickets." She said hopefully.

CHAPTER TEN

We talked for the rest of the day about my resigning and again the next morning. Suspensions whether justified or not acted as a black mark on your record. You were viewed as possibly corrupt, a tag that no copper could rise above. I made some phone calls to a few security firms and the positive response was sufficient to put my mind at rest about getting employment. However the salary was not as good as the H.M. Constabulary paid. Diane resolved the problem.

"I shall be selling the house, whenever the legal stuff is over, and Terry did have a life insurance policy. So we will have some capital to play with." I pointed out that the life insurance may take some time to come through.

"If I know Insurance company's they will hold out as long as possible, hoping that there could be some way of refusing to pay out."

"How could they do that?"

"If they suspected that you had something to do with Terry's death."

"But I was in hospital!"

"Yes. But you could have got someone else to do it for you." The expression Diane used to describe the Insurance Companies was not at all polite.