Dies Irae 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Astor rambled upon a picturesque clearing. There was a lake that was reflecting the light of the afternoon sun that shimmered across the water like liquid gold. She could hear a couple of woodpeckers hammering into trees, intermixed with the general cacophony of other birdsongs and calls.

Beauty trotted down to the water's edge and lapped leisurely, and then investigated the surrounding area for all the exciting unknown smells. Astor sat down on the grass and was eventually joined by Beauty who circled a patch next to Astor a few times, finding it suitable she settled down. Astor marvelled at the slumbering animal; she really envied a dog's ability to fall asleep just about anywhere.

The peaceful serenity of the environment worked wonders for Astor's resolve. Yes she found herself in a convoluted mess but she still had control over herself, and that was enough for now. Whatever new truths presented themselves, she told herself, she would seek to understand them. What she was certain of was that Beauty wasn't a danger, why after so many months would she suddenly turn into some monster when she'd been nothing but a blessing before?

As that very thought crossed her mind, Beauty started growling, causing Astor to nervously jump up in surprise. Until she realised the dog had no regard for her but was staring intently into the woods, hackles fully raised.

Astor and Beauty were confronted by two wolves that bounded into the clearing and stopped about fifteen meters from where they were sitting. She imagined that their eyes had a particular human like quality to them. "Werewolves, I suppose." She said to them unimpressed, "Beauty, don't be rude." She reprimanded the dog, whose growling had become louder and more aggressive, though she had retreated some distance behind Astor.

The wolves started to move towards them picking up pace looking like they were going to attack; Astor didn't hesitate. She grabbed a large stick from the ground and was ready when the first wolf leapt at her. She caught him on his side mid-air and sent him smashing to the ground, he moved off yelping in pain. The other wolf now snarled at her from a few feet, viciously gnashing his teeth.

"Come on then, too cowardly to fight me as a human," she taunted. To her surprise the wolf did seem to think otherwise and ran off back into the cover of the wood. She gasped to breathe, adrenaline coursing through her.

"That was one of the bravest and most stupid things I have ever seen." A mellifluous voice floated from behind her.

She turned snappishly; it was David. "Exactly how long have you been there?" she flung her stick.

"Long enough to know I'd rather not get on your bad side." He smirked.

"Nice of you to help, they were attacking me!" She said curtly.

"Well maybe next time you shouldn't go wandering off into woods you don't know."

"That's beside the point." She crossed her arms; she couldn't quite believe his gall.

"Is it? You're lucky I came when I did, the rest of the pack was undoubtedly close by, and your stick," he said with amused derision, "wouldn't have protected you from all of them."

She glared at him furiously.

"Look, you might think I'm being condescending but I'm not having a go, this isn't Arcadia." He shook his head pensively. "We've got off to a terrible start." He knelt on the ground and called to Beauty, who greeted him enthusiastically, licking his face, displaying her approval.

"She is a beautiful dog."

"Haven't you heard? She's not actually dog." She scoffed.

"She smells like a normal dog." He started sniffing her thoroughly.

"That's what Matthias said." Astor stared at him curiously, his thorough sniffing of Beauty was definitely not human. "So what are you then?"

"Werewolf." He casually replied as he stood up.

"Well why did the others attack?" She took a step towards her discarded stick.

"Because they were actual wolves!"

Astor eyes widened with surprise and then she burst into a peel of hysterical laughter, she felt like she was going insane, "Vampires! Magic! I just fought two wolves and I'm talking to a werewolf! What a day!"

"A bit of a shock. you must have a lot of questions?"

"So many questions I don't even know where to begin! Though for future reference what do werewolves look like? Do you look like a wolf when you change or more like a monster? No offence."

"None taken," he chortled. "Yes there have been some rather liberal interpretations of our exact physiology! We change to wolves, our duality is balanced not a hideous amalgamation of two separate beings." He said with distain at the ignoble representations that populated culture. "Incidentally only men are werewolves. And no it's not a patriarchal society either." He quickly added seeing Astor's eyes narrow inquisitively.

"Why aren't woman werewolves?" She asked unsure if she shouldn't be affronted as feminist.

He sat down on the grass and patted the ground next to him indicating Astor to join him. She did, and he began to explain.

"More than being a werewolf I am a gypsy. All werewolves are gypsy men, but not all gypsy men are werewolves. It's entirely genetic. The werewolf gene happens to be male, and the oracle gene is female, though in both cases the genes remain dormant unless certain rituals are completed."

"So gypsies are just werewolves and oracles?"

"Ah, well, actually our gene pool occasionally throws up people with all sort of x-men type powers, psychokinetics, fire starters, you name it really." He smiled as Astor shook her head in disbelief.

"And what are these rituals exactly?"

"We sacrifice virgins."

"You what?" Astor exclaimed, and then she saw him grinning like the Cheshire cat. "You're making fun of me." She play punched him on the arm.

"Just a little," he teased. "No it's nothing that dramatic, the activation of the gene simply requires a wolf bite, though it is customary to spend at least a month thereafter in wolf form with a wild pack - it helps one understand and control one's other nature."

"Isn't it dangerous?"

"Not really. There have been a few unfortunate incidents when a secular person of gypsy descent has been bitten by a wolf and the metamorphosis, which in itself is excruciating, understandably causes a sort of schizoid psychosis, in part I think that's what has given rise to the idea of the mad, bad werewolf."

Despite the weirdness of their conversation, Astor found David's company pleasant, he spoke fluidly and freely and, in part because he was unconnected with Jack her mind was given a respite from the painful thoughts of his death.

"So how does one become a shaman then?"

"They definitely have the raw deal. Attaining the full power of the third eye involves a little more self sacrifice than a bite. For starters you have to be pure, and remain so."

"That sucks."

"Yeah. Most gypsy women possess some intuitive psychic skill, fortune tellers mostly. Usually by the time their sixteen you can tell who has the most potential, basically who will be strong enough to cope with an ascent to greater power."

"It doesn't look as though Nina is coping, and nor does she seem to have any clue as to what's going on."

Sadness marred David's face. "Nina's dying of something entirely human; cancer."

"I'm so sorry, is there nothing that can be done?"

"It's already spread to multiple organs."

"No magic potions?"

"There are actually, but we try and keep to the natural world order; cheating death is black magic and there would be consequences." He said gravely.

Astor was feeling very confused, too overloaded with information which made little sense, she sighed heavily, "I'm sorry but I don't understand, and excuse me for being tactless, but if Nina is meant to be this powerful seer/witch then why doesn't she know what's going on?"

"It doesn't work like that. I know it's a frustrating contradiction, but think how it is for Nina, she probably knows more than she can say, but if she did say then what she knows could be made redundant."

"Sounds more like a curse than a gift."

"I believe that was what Fran thought -as the elder sister from a prominent family she was expected to ascend, she chose not to and the mantle fell to Nina."

"Poor Nina."

"Nina's had a good life, she doesn't begrudge Fran or regret the choices she's made."

"Was it a choice?"

"Hmm, that depends on your philosophical interpretation really. We are all subject to the conditions of our existence, but within that I do believe we have choices on how to live."

There was a natural pause in the conversation, each were occupied with their own thoughts. David's fell to his aunt; she was not the first person he had seen ravaged by cancer. His mother had passed a few years ago from the insidious disease. His father Alberto (Nina and Fran's younger brother) had been lost to grief and two weeks after Maria's death left the compound. For the first couple of years he had sent word that he was fine, but the last they had heard from him was around eleven months ago, and now that Nina was dying he needed his father back. He wasn't ready to be the head of the family, a burden of responsibility weighed heavily on his heart and mind.

Astor thoughts drifted lucidly, flashes of the last day streamed before her; detective Stroud telling her to call him, the moment she saw the police cars, her and Matthias in blissful union, the hostility of the brothers towards him, it was with this last thought that she broke the silence.

"So what's the deal with vampires and werewolves? Archenemies?"

"You've not spoken to Matthias then?"

"Not had a chance."

"Vampires are dubious characters, there are known to be good ones, but the general rule of thumb is to treat them with the upmost caution."

"I think Matthias is good."

"And you've known him for how long?"

"But vampires aren't souless devil worshipers, right?"

"No," he chuckled. "The magic world predates god and the devil, but if I start explaining the ontolgy of supernatural beings we could be here for a while and the sun has begun to set."

Astor looked at the sky it was becoming a beautiful canvas of purples, pinks, blues and gold. She didn't even realise how hungry she was until her stomach rumbled loudly.

"There's food back at the compound, Ed is a fantastic cook. Anyway we should head back before it gets dark." He stood up. "And I don't want you hurting any more of my wolves." He added, before extending his arm to hers.

"You're wolves?" she questioned as she was pulled to her feet.

"My day job. I'm a conservationist; my focus is on the repopulation of the Iberian wolf," He cheerfully explained.

"Wow convenient!" She was genuinely impressed.

"It is rather. My research has provided invaluable insights that have also benefitted other areas of conservation too." He said proudly.

"By the way your English is excellent."

"Six years at Oxford, dah-ling!" They both laughed.

"Do the wolves know you're wolves?"

"Good question. Yes and no, we can interrelate when in wolf form, though they know we are different, similar to the same way the Iberian wolf is different to the Eurasion wolf. I do think the wolves know we look out for them. Do you follow?"

"I think so, but when you say interrelate, what exactly do you mean?"

"Well wolves aren't exactly conversationalists but we can communicate. In the civil war they helped the resistance, which is partly why in Franco's reign their population was decimated, though of course there was a general eradication all over Europe."

"I have to ask, since there are no female werewolves does that mean, I mean, have you, or have there ever been, to use a well coined phrase, any sexual relations?" she smiled cheekily.

He stumbled at her question and she reached out to steady him. "Most people ask about silver and the full moon you're asking about sex?"

"I'm just curious. Don't get me wrong I find bestiality abhorrent, or at least conditioned to believe so, but I think if I could turn into a wolf or indeed any animal I would want to fuck as that animal just for the experience."

"You're not a prude are you! When I was younger I might have experimented, in the interest of research of course."

"Of course," she echoed. "And?"

"What you want details?"

"Well, what was it like?"

He stopped walking and she followed suit. They were facing each other in close proximity, and he was looking at her with an intensity that made her blush. It wasn't that she had previously failed to notice how good looking he was, it was the realisation that he was incredibly attractive, he exuded charm and intelligence complemented by a robust glow from outdoor living.

David noticed her appreciative look and was not averse to the possibility. "You want to know what it feels like to have sex with a wolf, as a wolf?" He looked at her lasciviously. "It's animalistic, rough and explosive." He wetted his lips. "Since we're exchanging experiences, how was sex with a vampire?"

"You're asking as a scientist I assume?" She knew full well he wasn't.

"Not entirely, do you mind?"

"I didn't even know he was a vampire until we got here so I can't really comment."

"How very vague of you."

"Well you could always make your own investigation."

"He's not my type."

"Shame, I was hoping we were heading for a ménage a trois! A werewolf and a vampire that would be something to tell the grandkids!" She joked, but the thought resonated in her mind as an interesting idea.

"Why don't you ask Matthias how he would feel about it and get back to me?"

"Ask me what?"

"Where did you come from?" David asked defensively as Matthias strode out from the woodland.

"It's getting dark and I didn't think it would be safe for Astor". He replied not liking the protectiveness that David had seemingly developed towards Astor.

"Well you can see she is perfectly safe." He countered.

"Even so I was worried. How are you?" He asked sincerely.

"Better thanks. Sorry for just leaving I needed to think."

"Please I understand. I'm sorry but I should make a move as soon as possible and I thought we should talk before I go?" He asked with trepidation.

"Where are you going?"

"To see a man about a dog."

"I want to come; we can talk on the way."

"It's really not a good idea, it could be dangerous."

"Apparently I'm in danger wherever I am. I'm no good at sitting around waiting for something to happen."

"You'd be better protected here," David hastened to add.

Astor was surprised to hear Matthias let out a little growl. 'He's jealous,' she thought. "I'll speak to Fran, if she wants me to stay then I will." Her tone was unequivocal.

"Fair enough. So what did you want to ask me?" A note of bemusement underpinned his question.

Astor toyed with idea of telling him about the indecent proposal, but thought better of it, "I was asking how you felt about werewolves?"

"Really?" he was unconvinced, "they're pretty predictable..."

"...what do you know vampire!" David snapped.

"Thanks for proving my point, predictable pride and prejudice." He gave a patronising look to David. "That's pack mentality for you, your great-grandfather Alfonso was smarter than that, it's a shame it seems to have stopped with him."

"You knew Alfonso?" David was surprised to hear.

"Very well. In '36 I helped him subdue a particularly nasty group of fascists led by the local pederastic priest."

"You're Matteo!" He said in reverence recalling his grandfather's childhood tales from the civil war. "I'm sorry for our ungracious welcome, if we had known."

"No one's called me that in a while," he mused nostalgically, "but I understand your hostility, it's very natural in some ways."

"Exactly how old are you?" Astor interrupted.

"Old enough." She wasn't impressed and scowled at him. "Fine, I was born in 350BC." He couldn't help feel a small sense of smugness at their astonishment; Astor especially looked quite freaked out by his antiquity.

"Even for a vampire that's old!" David exclaimed.

Learning that he was over two millennia old perturbed Astor even more than learning he was a vampire. It dawned on her how very insignificant her life must seem to him. "It's hard not to feel a little intimidated knowing that you must have heard, seen and done everything that there is," she reflected.

"You're joking right? The world still surprises me on a daily basis, and it's changed more in the last two hundred years that at any other time! I appreciate that you are intimidated but I don't think I have anything to teach you about life, besides for one so young you're quite impressive!" He gave her a massive grin.

Astor blushed at his complement, "I think you have a lot to teach me, for starters I don't know anything about the supernatural world."

"Astor, you know how to behave properly and you see beyond the material world to what matters. The supernatural world is not a separate world to the one you've known it's just another facet to it."

"It's true," David tried to assure her. "Perhaps this isn't the greatest analogy but it's like the criminal underworld, with different syndicates fighting against each other for power, and although it does impact larger society as a whole it does so in an organic way. Strange things happen all time without logical explanation; thousands of fish or birds fall dead from the sky; scores of dolphins and whales beached on shores. These things aren't natural."

"What are they?"

"Sacrifices." Matthias said with distaste.

"You really don't know what Beauty is?" David asked Matthias.

"All I have are farfetched suspicions."

"Beauty is a dog," Astor asserted.

"You know her intelligence is preternatural."

"I would say she is an extraordinary dog just like many other extraordinary dogs. Maybe she was a guide dog and somehow escaped, was unfortunately subject to human cruelty and then rescued by me. Perfectly plausible, more so than some supernatural beasty."

"Maybe she is a dog, but she could also be something more."

Astor sighed; she was exhausted and was glad to see the trees thinning and the cabin reappear into sight.

"I'm going to see about supper." David sniffed the air, "mmm, smells like we're having spit roast."

"Oh, did I forget to mention I'm a vegetarian." Astor grimaced.

"I didn't know that." Matthias said with peculiar interest.

"Does it change anything?" She snapped.

"No."

"Anyway," David quickly interjected dispersing the tension that had erupted from nothing, "we always have beautiful salads and other meat free dishes and besides I'm sure Ed will be happy to rustle you up something- he'll probably see it as a creative challenge."

"Thanks."

"And I'm sure we can find you something to eat too." He spoke directly to Beauty who wagged her tail in agreement.

"It's alright I brought food for her. But thank you."

"Nothing to offer me?" Matthias quipped before quickly adding. "It's fine, I'm not hungry." He slipped a sideway glance to Astor and was pleased to see a slight smile form at his comment.

They reached the edge of the woods and David slipped away, informing them he'd return shortly. Astor moved off towards the cabin but was pulled back by Matthias so that they now faced each other, "We should really try and leave as soon possible," he conceded, "You know full well Fran won't object to you coming."

"Thanks."

"Well it has also occurred to me that your jet will expedite the journey."

"It's lucky that I offset my carbon footprint then. You better tell me where we're going so I can prep the crew?"

"Florence."

"Should give us enough time to talk," she said with forced enthusiasm.

Matthias smiled nervously. Astor turned and headed back towards the cabin. He watched her as she glided away and wondered how she had become so dear to him so soon. He thought he was beyond love and romance, but she made him feel young and excited to the possibilities of a new life, a new world, one with her. He hoped.

12