Disposable Hero Ch. 01 Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I thought, 'What a shame that this piece of Japanese culture was left behind after the invasion only to be pillaged by the Americans who would be up here for days, Japan had lost so much of its history already in this war so I can save a little piece here and not have it as a souvenir for some jackass.'

I didn't have enough room to take everything with me as proof so I hid the armor, bow and arrows hoping that they didn't go looking inside for fire wood. I took the Katana because I knew it would be stolen by any other soldiers if they found it I mean what screams Japan more than a Samurai sword, the same was true for the Wakazashi, the Tanto on the other hand would make a good back up knife and it was balance well enough that it could be thrown if need be. My unit was told to hold the mountain and was awaiting reinforcements, that was the best news we had had today. I heard the helos overhead and walked out to greet them, trying to keep my composure as my thoughts raced around the loss of a friend maybe my only friend. I grabbed my pack which had the swords and knife, I wasn't taking any chances and headed out as I got out of the temple I saw a flash above the Chinook and blacked out.

***********

When the chopper landed and the gun crew and spotters climbed out they were greeted by PFC Johnson. They asked where the commanding officer was, because they had been ordered to do whatever he said as far as security was concerned. PFC Johnson led their commander to the temple and as they looked around they saw not a single sign of Henri, they found his mk-18 and RSG, but he was nowhere to be found, as they walked out of the bombed out temple wondering where he could be. They heard explosion after explosion as they saw Kakido engulfed in flames and missiles in bound as the ground shook from multiple explosions. The spotters got on the horn and asked for info looked scared shitless. They were told that the missiles were fired from South Korea and from Chinese subs and that they were to cover the marines.

Their commander pulled out a tablet and looked at the data streaming in, they had been set up, in 10 years the North Koreans and Chinese had dug tunnels into the hills to hide large troop formations and equipment. Now, they were being put into use the attack on Henri's unit was a ploy to get them to strike Kakido with a larger force and it worked, the colonel knew that if they succeeded they would be pushed back to Saga and it could take them 6 months to a year to take Nagasaki. If they could stop them Nagasaki would fall in a week, his reverie was interrupted as the 155mm opened up spitting death and destruction on Kakido.

***********

Sitting in a garden under the sun were several Gods and Goddesses from the Alirota pantheon the only one missing was the Great Creator who was represented by Gaia the Earth mother to her left, from near to far were, Bahamut mother of all good dragons her father was in the background not interested in this meeting. To her left was Luenala Hlaetylara goddess of the elves. next was Eilistraee daughter of Lloth, Eilistraee was the good Drow's goddess of love and justice. At the other end opposite Gaia and surrounded by the withering and rotting of the plants was the Great Destroyer, he and his wife the Great Creator were the ones who kept an eye on the gods. To his left was Athuza the goddess of all magic and keeper of the weave along with Io Bahamut's father. Next was Tyr the human god of investigations and justice. Sitting on Gaia's right was Aralam the god of all horsemen and combat.

Death as the Great Destroyer was known asked, "He is here the guardian has arrived, he will need help to open the Earth gate."

He looked at Eilistraee and continued, "He is in the lands of your mother as you wished, why you want him there I don't know or care, but know this until he has chosen his path we are to stay out of his life and those of his companions, that is why we bound the powers of the guardian to the sword. Should any Drow unsheathe the sword I shall wipe that city from this planet, only he and his chosen may touch that sword, any others and my wrath will be swift and memorable."

Eilistraee spoke next, "I asked your wife to send him to my mother so he can see how they live under her, it will teach him compassion and them humility. Plus, the drowess if she chooses will be his great love and partner in everything and together they will lead my people out of the darkness forever."

Death was a huge sucker for love his great weakness and the reason he had coerced his wife to send Henri there for love.

He said, "I hope you are right. I know the rest of you have made your choice I have told the fates to unravel the threads of your champions, they have no destiny from us now that you have named them. Go and make sure you have chosen wisely or you will make the guardians job twice as hard."

Death asked Io and Bahamut to meet with him in transit. Transit was the place that all souls went to before going to their final resting places, this was one of many realms controlled by death. When they arrived he took them to Earth, showed them the war raging there and they watched in horror at what Earthlings could do to each other.

Death said, "I have brought you here to show the world the Henri the keeper comes from."

They said in unison and in disbelief, "This is Earth?"

Io said, "They are little more than smart animals, I mean the humans on our world would listen to us if we showed ourselves to them, these humans look like they love to kill and destroy I would you think you proud of them like a father."

Bahamut asked, "What is that flying thing and how powerful is it?"

Death asked, "Which one the fast one or the one that is above the hill?"

Bahamut replied, "The one that is breathing fire?"

Death looked at the AH-64DR and said, "They call that a helicopter and it is strong enough to kill several dragons with those missiles. The gun on the front would also go through a dragons hide easily."

Io asked enraged, "You want to bring my grandchildren here to be slaughtered by these, these monsters. What is this magic that allows them to do this? How can you allow this?"

Death said, "This isn't magic it is technology when your daughters children are extinct it will take humans on this world about 1000 years to get to the point that they can do what the humans you see here can do. The old races will be long gone by then, you will be myths to humans and their short memories."

Io didn't like that answer and asked, "What can we do to prevent the extinction of our kind or have you decided our fate?"

Death shrugged and replied, "Your daughter has a good idea, I don't know if it would work though. That is not why I called you here."

Bahamut asked, "Why did you call us here?"

Death said solemnly, "Henri, will die if he opens the gates, the magic required to open it would kill him."

Bahamut looked lost, "You are the Great Destroyer can you not over write his death, surely it is within your powers?"

Death looked at her like she was a fool and said, "I could but his body would be twisted by the magic, that would be a fate worse than death."

Io was silent as Bahamut asked, "So what do you want from us?"

Death said, "My wife cares not what happens to the keeper and I only have the power over death and destruction. Io you are the one who first wove magic is there any way we can weave it in him?"

Io thought and said, "Even the finest mage in Alirota would die from that much magic, no a magical creature is the only thing that would survive that much magic. That is why I said it should be Bahamut or one of her children should be the keeper."

Death retorted, "That is why I have shown you Earth so you would understand what they can do. What would happen if the gate opened, let alone the one that your other daughter's children have helped build in the Foreverdark? They would use this power on your children in a heartbeat."

Death showed them the detonation of a mutli-yeld hydrogen bomb. They looked on awestruck, these Earthlings had frightening power, they had seen Death do the same to a city that had woven very dangerous magic and outraged all the gods. These Earthlings had the power of the Great Destroyer.

Bahamut asked in shock, "How could you give them your power?"

Death said, "I didn't give it to them they invented it and they have the power to destroy their planet 50 times over."

Io asked in a mouse of a voice, "Then why let them live? Would it not be better to let them die out rather than risk more lives?"

Death pulled up images of the unbelievable things humans could do. They saw them land on the moon, the great works of art, they even got to read the great documents like the Declaration of Independence, they saw what lies in the hearts of Earthlings, they heard music the likes of which they had never heard. Earthlings could destroy their world, but they could be so kind and make wonders that would touch the soul of the gods.

Death said, "That is why. They are always going forward even after this they will leave their home and go forth to the stars looking for us. I have destroyed them so many times and they keep going forward. That is why he is here and that is why he must live."

Io eyes danced as he had an epiphany, "We could weave a dragon soul into his it is within our powers."

Bahamut looked at her father in shock and asked, "Father, we cannot touch human souls. True we can weave into it but it would take a very powerful dragon soul to be woven and none on my counsel are that strong. Only ..."

Bahamut stopped as she realized what her father was going to do as a tear came to her eye.

Her father smiled and said, "Yes, Bahamut, there are only three dragons with a soul strong enough: me, you and your sister. While the weaving would kill her and merge her with him who knows what would come through from her and influence him that could ruin the balance of all things. I will not take that chance so that leaves you or me and I cannot kill my own child plus you would ruin the balance as well, so that means you will have to stay and fight her at the renewal. I will be woven into his soul, Death will remove it a little and you will start the weave."

Bahamut said, "But father that would make him the god of all dragons. His power would top both mine and hers. So no matter who would win dragons would call a human god."

Io laughed deeply and said, "Child neither you nor your sister's children pray to me, I am growing weak only the weave allows me to keep my powers. The human sorcerers do when they try to make powerful new magic, if it weren't for that I would have died long ago."

Death asked, "Will this work?"

Bahamut nodded and her father said, "Yes, it will but it will take time. I am worried about the gate and the codex that much magic might draw my powers out of him and leave him changed forever. Besides, I want to see those movies, listen to that music, even see those beautiful paintings that Earthlings have made, I want to walk inside of those great temples like the one that had a huge painting on the ceiling, I am even looking forward to feeling what a human feels, the thought of death is interesting to me now."

Death shook his head because he wanted the same and maybe one day he would walk into a cathedral with Henri if he lived through all of this.

Death asked, "So how do we do this? I mean will your soul be woven in at one time?"

Bahamut resigned to her father's decision said, "No, that would kill the keeper our souls are too big for that. We will feed it to him slowly so that by the time he goes through the gate back to Earth they will be one, my father will be sleeping in him and after the codex and gate are active they will have fully merged. If the magic is great enough then the keeper will become more like a small dragon physically with all my father's powers."

Death said, "Henri the keepers name is Henri and I guess that is now your fathers as well. How will we begin the weave?"

Io asked, "Does he have the codex now?"

Death said, "Yes, it is contained within his sword, when he draws it the codex will bond to him. Why?"

Io said, "We can use the codex and its merger with him to start the weave but it would be very slight, until the codex has fully accepted him. Then, I would have to be woven into his soul and my power with me. This could help because the magic in his body would be enough to create life in those dragons that are left, but we need to talk about that ourselves."

Death said, "Thank you Io, the people of Alirota owe you a great debt, I don't think my wife would be too happy if the humans on Earth slaughtered those who came through the gate before the renewal could begin."

With that Death lead them back to Alirota and Bahamut gathered the counsel of Wrym's and told them to prepare to weave. As Io gave his daughter the go head for what she wanted to do to save all dragons and for once they both had hope for the future.

12