Dream Drive Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Over_Red
Over_Red
2,256 Followers

"Oh, I am," Landri said, "but too much praise swells a girl's head. Hers is big enough as it is, I think."

Chaki pouted as Palla, Landri, and Hanta laughed. Even Boonta cracked a smile. "I can still fit into our tipi, at least," Chaki said.

"But for how long?" Hanta asked.

"Long enough to get to sleep, I hope. It was a little draining."

Hanta smiled. "Chaki, do you well know my son, Vuntha?"

"He is a skilled hunter, like his father," Chaki said. "Though I know him only at a distance."

"I should like to introduce you to him more directly, then. He mentioned that he wanted to compliment your dancing."

"I would be happy to accept his compliments," Chaki said. It was a noncommittal response. Should she have been interested in Vuntha, she would have said she'd be happy to meet him, specifically. But her words were in no terms a rejection.

"Good," Hanta smiled. He picked up on her phrasing; his next words leaned away from hinting at suitorship. "It will be good for him to have such a friend as you."

"I hope it is so," Chaki said politely.

"And perhaps your heads will strike together and shrink from the impact."

Palla burst into laughter. Chaki couldn't help her own chuckle. "If you say so. Have him run at me full speed, then. I'll lower my horns into his. We can use Shaka's skulls."

"Your blasphemy will drive away the good spirits!" Shaka called. She marched up to them with Jackson just behind her. This time, she had a pouch of wasna in hand, and she was munching on the dried, fatty meat even as they closed in. Jackson had his own pouch. His cheeks were puffed out with the amount of food he'd stuffed into his mouth. Chaki smiled at the sight of it.

"Only a jest," Chaki said. "Apparently Vuntha and I could fill a tipi with our heads, if you believe what Hanta says. It should make a fine legend, I think."

"Hanta always exaggerates," Boonta said, "but he tells a good story."

"Ho, flat-face speaks," Hanta said. "I embellish only half as much as you do when the men talk together, young bull!"

Chaki recognized the smile on Boonta's face as a forced one. He did not take well to ribbing, even if it was good-natured. "My flat face camouflages me from the bison."

"And it keeps your small head well protected!" came a new voice. Another short man - a young man - joined their rapidly growing circle. "Ho there, father, Landri."

"Hi Vuntha," Palla said.

"Hello, Palla. And, Chaki. My greetings."

Chaki smiled at Vuntha. "You have my own."

"Quick, run!" Hanta shouted. "Their heads are getting closer!"

The group burst out laughing again. Jackson had to cover his mouth to keep wasna from leaking out. Chaki felt a little blush on her cheeks. She sidled across the way and moved between Shaka and Jackson. "You aren't laughing at me, Jackson, are you?"

Jackson's green eyes were bright. He gulped down his mouthful of wasna. "Nope, not me. Too busy eating."

"If he likes wasna, he must be a long-lost member of the tribe," Hanta said. "Well met, Jackson Vedalt! I am Hanta, and this my son, Vuntha. We owe you much." The two men of small stature, but great skill, bowed their heads and clasped their hands.

Jackson mimicked the gesture. A bit rough, but it would do, for an outsider. "Well met," he said.

"Hanta was a great friend of my father's," Chaki said, "and has always looked after us since he passed back to the earth."

"You speak too well of me," Hanta said.

"Even if," Chaki added, "he was never quite as good at hunting."

"Hardly! Your father and I never settled our scores, and then he went and died before the final round! He should have known better!"

Chaki grinned brightly. "Clearly he did so just to frustrate you."

"I wouldn't be surprised. So! Jackson Vedalt. I am told you are skilled with the spear."

Jackson shook his head. "...I'm alright, I guess."

"You slayed a whole nest of rattok single-handedly."

"...there was a lot of luck involved," Jackson said.

"And much bravery," Vuntha said. "Even if it was to save them, I still should have feared for my life. And you stopped to rescue strangers, besides."

"You aren't as much as I thought, then," Boonta said to Vuntha. "I would not fear little rattok if it meant saving Shaka and Chaki."

Chaki felt that Boonta's boasting comment would be better placed amongst the men, rather than in public, but Vuntha cleared his throat and did not rise to answer it. "Anyway, Jackson Vedalt, if you would like to exchange spears, I'd jump at the chance."

"Just Jackson is fine," Jackson said. "Do you mean sparring or something?"

"A brief bout, if I could impose it upon you," Vuntha confirmed. "I'm sure I'd learn much."

"That sounds fun," Jackson said. "But I'll be doing more learning than you think."

Vuntha clasped his hands. There was a bright grin on his features. "You honor me."

Chaki didn't think Jackson realized it, but he'd just paid Vuntha a great compliment. Jackson's deeds were clear; his skill could not be denied. In saying that he would learn well from Vuntha, he was placing Vuntha's abilities on a level with his own.

"Any friend of Chaki is a friend of mine," Jackson said. He looked at her for approval. Chaki smiled and put her hand on his arm.

"Is that so?" Boonta asked. "Perhaps I will join your practice."

Hanta frowned. "Inviting yourself to another's exchange?"

"We're all friends, aren't we?" Boonta said. "I'm sure Vuntha doesn't have any objections."

Vuntha licked his lips. The thoughts on his face were very plain. He was not as established as his father, so going against the elder's son in public could spell problems for him. He said nothing.

"I'd prefer if it was just me and Vuntha," Jackson said.

"And why's that?"

"Because you and I aren't friends."

The gathered circle paused. Hanta's gaze shifted between Boonta and Jackson. Vuntha's eyes bulged. Shaka, though, was oddly detached, focused on her wasna. She stood slightly apart with Landri, keeping one arm on Palla's back. It was a sign that she was staying out of it.

"...oh?" Boonta asked. "Here I thought you were a friend to all Chaki knows."

"All of Chaki's friends," Jackson corrected. "I don't think that includes you."

"I'm sure," Boonta said, "it does."

"Want to bet?"

"What's the wager?"

Chaki was about to tell both of them to keep their discussion to themselves when a new voice called over them. "Jackson Vedalt!"

Malaki and her mother came into their ring. Boonta stepped aside to let them into the space. Chaki sipped from her bowl of soup, not acknowledging their arrival. Hanta and Malaki's mother moved off with Landri and Shaka, leaving the younger generation alone.

"Jackson," she said, "I thought I wouldn't find you out here."

Jackson's face was a blank as his voice. "Hey, uh...um."

"...Malaki," Malaki said.

"Sorry. I've met a lot of new people very quickly."

"Well, I suppose I will let you off for having complimented my dancing."

"Oh?" Chaki looked up from her soup. "What did he say?"

"He said my dancing was great," Malaki said. "Though I have not yet extracted from him our promise to eat together."

Chaki fixed Jackson with a stare. "Is that so?"

"I've got wasna, you've got soup," he said to Malaki. "I think we're good."

"Hardly," Malaki said. "I suppose it is true you are not good with your words. But in your case, it adds to your mystique."

"Mystique?" Boonta asked. "What a description."

"I was supplying him with words," Malaki said, "to make up for his lack of them. Women are supposed to complement their men."

"It's a good thing I was able to find Chaki, then," Jackson said.

Chaki felt the sudden and exhilarating rush of personal validation.

"Yes." Malaki's tone was flat. "I see you located her."

Vuntha was looking out-of-place with himself. He glanced around. "Maybe I'll...get another bowl of soup."

"You could at least offer some to a lady?" Malaki said.

Boonta, Vuntha, and Malaki went back and forward for a few moments on the topic of men always being required to fetch women things. In a moment, Drana, and another dancer, Kannu, made their way up to them. Chaki wasn't as familiar with the wispy Kannu, but she seemed an alright sort. Drana greeted Vuntha with enthusiasm, and they began speaking together.

Chaki whispered in Jackson's ear. "What's this promise you made her?"

"She made it herself," he muttered. "All I said was that I'd see her later. It was to get her off my back so I could find you."

"Ah. That is like her."

"Yeah, I gathered that."

"What are you two whispering about?" Malaki asked.

"Oh, just the words Jackson used to compliment my dancing," Chaki said loudly.

"Is that so?"

"It is," Chaki said. "But they would make you jealous, so I won't repeat them."

"Now I'm curious," Malaki said. "I'm sure you can repeat them to us. Right, Kannu?"

Kannu brushed her hair back. She glanced between them, unsure of what to do now that she was on the spot. "Well...we are all friends."

Drana chuckled. "Hmm."

"I leave that for others to say," Chaki said.

"I think you're teasing me." Malaki folded her arms. "I wonder if he said anything at all?"

"I said," Jackson started, "that she was like starlight come down from the sky. And she danced better than you, Malaki. Practice more."

Chaki bit her tongue to stop herself from laughing, but Vuntha and Drana didn't bother to keep themselves in check. They practically fell atop one another. "Well," Drana said, "I guess that 'great' is almost as good as starlight!"

Malaki's face was red. "You led me on."

Chaki held Jackson's arm in both hands, resting at his side. "I think you led yourself on. I told you it would make you jealous."

"It's rude to do such things in public, Chaki. I thought more highly of you than that."

"And I didn't think you would try to trip me in the middle of the dance."

"What?!" Malaki said. "How dare you accuse me of such a thing!"

"The truth is hard to take, isn't it?"

"More like made-up tales to save face!"

"Well," Drana said, "we could go and ask around and see how many people saw you try to knock her over with your right leg during the middle section. Or you could just shut up about it."

Malaki's mouth worked. She huffed, and started marching away. "I have better things to do than banter with you."

Kunna glanced after her, then back. "Chaki, did she really go that far?"

"She did. Jula noticed as well."

"As did at least five others," Drana said. "Jealousy stings, I suppose."

"I will try to smooth things over," Kunna said. "I feel as though she hasn't been herself of late." She worried after the taller girl.

Chaki found Jackson's hand and squeezed it. He looked at her and smiled. She smiled back. There was an understanding in his eyes; he might not be a good speaker, but he was keen enough to duck around Malaki's petty motivations.

"You know, you are wrong about yourself," Chaki said.

Jackson's eyebrows came together. "What do you mean?"

"You always have the words," Chaki said. "You just don't know how to say them, sometimes."

"I guess I should embrace my apathy more."

Chaki chuckled. "If that makes you bolder, I would agree."

Suddenly, she was aware of Boonta. He was staring at their clasped hands.

"Jackson Vedalt!" Boonta barked.

"Dude, I'm right here."

"You've ignored my words," Boonta said. "I thought we had an understanding when you covered for me in front of Shaka."

"Are you kidding? I just didn't want to make a scene."

"You misled me!"

Jackson glanced at Chaki, then back to Boonta. "I think you misled yourself."

"...are you trying to provoke me?"

"I'm not trying to do anything," Jackson said. "I just don't care what you think. Let's term it...apathy."

Boonta's knuckles were white. He took a step forward. And then he turned. "I need to speak with my father." He stomped away over the grass.

"I don't think he likes me very much," Jackson said.

Drana laughed. "You have a way with words, Jackson Vedalt."

"You're only the second person to ever tell me that."

"Good riddance to the both of them," Vuntha said. "My father might tease Chaki and I about our heads, but at least we can back it up."

"Jack," Chaki said, "I don't believe I introduced you to Drana. She's my best friend." She put a finger to her lip. "Don't take anything she says seriously."

"What an introduction," Drana said. "If we were lesser friends, I might be offended."

"I don't think anything can offend you," Vuntha said.

"Yes, you're probably right."

"Jackson," Vuntha said, "it was good to meet you. Do you know the bow at all?"

Jackson frowned. "As in archery?"

"Is there any other bow?"

"Actually, there is. But I don't know the bow and arrow."

"Then add practice shooting to our list," Vuntha said. "We shall make a day of it and be Men-Under-The-Mountain."

Jackson's green eyes took up that sharpness she so liked. He made his small smile. "Definitely. I'm staying with Shaka, so come and find me whenever you're going."

"I will do that."

"Hey, Vuntha," Drana said, "let's go eat together. I still haven't kissed anyone tonight."

Vuntha's face blushed from bottom to top. "I - well - what?!"

Drana dragged him by the hand, giggling. "See you, Chaki!"

Chaki sighed. "I hope she doesn't do anything stupid."

"Like we were doing?"

"...that was different."

Jackson's hand was at her back. "You know," he said, "I didn't finish with you."

"No, you didn't."

"I want to."

"Me too," Chaki said.

"Maybe tonight?"

"...yes. I will be in your ceremony with Shaka. After that."

Jackson nodded. "We could meet up near the creek. Away from the tipis."

"And away from Shaka."

"No kidding," Jackson said. "If she pops up between us again, I think I'll ignore her and keep going."

Chaki felt a dark sort of amusement at the idea. Jackson mounting her, then Shaka walking in, seeing both of them. How in the world would she react to that?

More exciting was their meeting. The time was set. It had only been five seconds, and she was already sick of the anticipation. Hadn't she been trying to argue herself back to a slower pace?

"Jack," she said, "do you...isn't this too fast?"

He shared a glance with her. "You mean, us?"

"Yes. Our relationship."

Jackson half-nodded; he pursed his lips; he shrugged. "Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. But you know what?"

"What?"

"I don't care," he said. "You're amazing. You're beautiful. You're intelligent. And I'm going to take you."

For good, or ill, Chaki's worries washed out of her. She relaxed against his hand. "...good."

"I think," Jackson said, "my luck is finally looking up."

Chaki stood there for a moment, holding him, getting the sense of him. "Jackson."

"Hmm?"

"A moment ago, when Vuntha mentioned the bow. What other bow is there, if not the bow and arrow?"

Jackson's smile faded. He looked into the night. She could see him almost visibly retreat into himself, like a rabbit ducking into a hole. She disliked it. It felt like he was moving himself away.

"Well?"

"It doesn't matter," Jackson said.

"Jackson!" Shaka was back. "Come, come. Hanta wants to introduce you to the hunters and council members. And there's a few friends of mine and Landri you must meet."

Jackson groaned. "Here we go."

"Would it be better without me distracting you?" Chaki asked.

"What?" he said. "You make this way easier. Stay with me?"

What Chaki felt then was the equal of what she'd felt in the tent, but this warmth was in her heart, not her loins. She smiled. "I will stay as long as you will have me."

"That might be a while," Jackson said.

"I can live with that."

###

The next hour of Jackson's life was painful.

Hanta and Shaka and Landri shuttled him around, introducing him to this woman who was Drana's aunt, an excellent one to go to for beading, and that man who had more red feathers than anyone else in the tribe, each one earned for a feat of bravery that ended with him getting injured. He met with all the hunters, whom all slapped him on the back too hard, several of their prominent traders, the head drummer (as much as he was hating the process, Jackson privately admitted he was a really cool guy), and then Yukatan again, and every single one of the councilmen and councilwomen, who made up a group of authority that worked both with Yukatan and to check him if he grew too bold. And of course, he had to meet the man that made their spearheads - his uncle, and his son, who was his apprentice, in turn made the arrowheads. Another family, related by marriage, made the shafts for both the spears and the arrows. And they all competed with an entirely different clan in a rivalry going back several generations that also performed all those same functions, because, hey, a little military redundancy never hurt anyone. And then there was another family that did tanning, but wait, they were only one of three families that did that.

Jackson was rather stunned to learn that bison brains were used to tan their own hides. This was but one of many facts he was apparently supposed to memorize on the spot.

And then Yukatan was there again, saying something funny, and everyone laughed, so Jackson laughed with them, even though he didn't get the joke.

He had to get out.

But Chaki was there. Sweet, wonderful Chaki. She nudged him when he needed to say something. She critiqued his performance in the brief walks between different groups of people. She whispered names he'd forgotten back to him. Most importantly, she stepped on his foot when he needed to shut his mouth.

She was his shield against the masses. He clung to her like a man clings to a life raft in stormy seas.

All the while, he munched wasna. It was like eating pebbles of jerky. It was made by grinding up bison meat into a fine, dry powder. That was mixed with marrow fat, and poured into bags, where it could keep for several years. They made different 'flavors', of a sort, by mixing in dried berries and other fruit. It was a vital component of their meals, especially during the winter or on long hunts.

Better yet, it was surprisingly good. And if his mouth was full, he wasn't expected to do as much talking.

When the introductions died down, Jackson was guided to a tipi in the center of camp. The council tent was almost twice the size as the others. Each councilmember carried part of it when the camp changed locations. Shaka sat him down inside, piled some dry fuel in the firepit, and told him to wait. And then she left.

The tipi didn't have a floor; he was seated on dirt. He supposed they didn't want to spare all the hides needed to keep it covered. The ground was cold under his legs.

He closed his eyes and enjoyed the quiet. A wind brushed the outside of the tent. The long beams holding the tipi up creaked slightly. That was certainly something he'd noticed about the plains - the wind was never gone for long. He supposed that the land was so flat that there was nothing to break it up.

The entrance to the tent opened. Hanta came in first - Jackson had discovered he was a member of the council himself, earlier. Chaki told him it was out of respect that he did not flaunt his position, unlike a certain elder's son. He nodded to Jackson, but said nothing, and took a seat near the back.

The other councilors followed just behind. They came in silence, sitting in a ring at the edge of the tipi. All eyes were on Jackson, who was left alone in the center, near the fire.

He fidgeted. Remembering Chaki telling him that was unbecoming, he tucked his hands under his thighs. The clean-freak in the back of his cerebellum immediately lobbied for him to pick at his nails.

Yukatan came in, next - along with Boonta. Their eyes met, but Boonta didn't break the silence. Jackson decided there was an importance to the quiet, so he avoided a sigh.

Over_Red
Over_Red
2,256 Followers
1...345678