Falling for the First Time Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MissSummer
MissSummer
111 Followers

"Excuses." He stood up straight and crossed his arms to copy her.

She bit on her lower lip to stop from giggling. "You really were mean to me that day." Jaz faked a sniffle, as she pretended to wipe tears from her eyes.

"You're such a baby." His shoulders sagged as he uncrossed his arms. Emmett pulled her against him, and tightly wrapped his arms around her. Smiling, she placed her head on his chest, and pulled him in for an embrace.

He spoke against her temple. "If it makes you feel any better, I was totally checking you out."

She let out a small laugh. "Are you an ass to all the girls you check out?"

"Only the ones that make me nervous."

Giggling, she asked, "I made you nervous?"

He buried his head in the crook of her neck. "You still do," he mumbled.

His words made her heart skip a beat. She could not fathom why she would make him nervous. He was always sure of himself and confidant in everything he did. Except with his trip to London. Her breath shook as she thought of how shaky their future together seemed. No, don't think down that path. Best last moments, remember?

Her arms squeezed him tighter. "What's there to be nervous about?"

After a few deep breaths, he replied slightly above a whisper, "I-I don't want to lose you, Jasmine."

Leaning back, she gently grabbed his face in both her hands, feeling the stubble growing on his face. Emotion caught in her throat as she looked in his sad eyes. God, I love you. Jaz pulled his face close to hers and kissed him.

After a long moment of silence, Jaz kissed his cheek and spoke up. "You're supposed to be working."

He nodded his head in agreement. "Yea, then we can get out of here."

They ate the cold pizza that was delivered before she arrived. He had pulled up a chair next to him, so they were sitting side by side behind his desk. While he worked on his project, and devoured most of the slices, she watched over his shoulder between the chapters of the book she was reading.

Her gaze eventually wandered around the room, and she began to notice things she didn't see when she first stepped inside. Glossy photographs were hung on the wall alongside a few certificates and awards baring his name. Some binders were packed into boxes, and some of the shelves were empty. It made the thought of him leaving bring a wave of emotion.

She forced herself to look away and distract herself with other thoughts when she saw the picture at the other end of his desk. It was a picture of her on one of the hikes they've been on. A beautiful waterfall was in the background, but her face scrunched up when she took in her messy hair, and sweaty face.

"Out of all the pictures, you put that one on your desk?"

Emmett looked to where she pointed. He smiled. "I love this one," he spoke around a bite of pizza.

"You're cute, but I look like a mess." She cocked her eyebrow at him. "Can I at least take a better one?"

"No, it just looks like you went on a hike...because you did." He laughed at her. "Jaz, it's a beautiful picture, and it's staying on my desk no matter what you say."

"Please?" She pouted when he glanced at her.

He pouted in return. "My picture. My desk."

Letting out a loud sigh of defeat, she drank some water and dusted off her hands. "Fine. I'm going to use the restroom."

"Don't give me that look, or I'm going to have to spank you." Emmett smirked at her.

Jaz rolled her eyes, and walked out with a small smile on her face. I don't think I'd mind that.

She took her time strolling towards the ladies' room. Curiosity got the best of her as she started looking at the pictures in the hallway. They featured photos of past magazine covers and the teams that worked on them. Jaz stopped in front of one, and smiled. Emmett had a bright smile on his face, and an arm placed around Sam's shoulder.

He's going to be happy working with Sam.

Her smile slowly disappeared, and she pressed her lips tightly together. If Emmett decided to stay there, would she move with him? But her life was here. Doubts about their relationship lingered in her mind. She would move on with her life here. They would go their separate ways, and she'd cherish the memories they had together.

Just enjoy it for now. Please. She needed to constantly remind herself to take everything one step at a time. It never worked to jump to conclusion. The fact of the matter is that right now, she's happy. With him.

She finished her business in the bathroom, and pulled herself together before making her way back into Emmett's office. He smiled up at her in greeting.

"Almost done?" Jaz perked her voice up.

"Sort of. Just trying to tie things up. The rest I can work on when the weekend's over. Wanna see something?"

She eagerly nodded her head, trying to clear her mind of what just happened.

He showed her some of the projects he was working on and asked for her opinion on a few of them. Jaz lit up as he took some of her suggestions and implemented them into his work. She saw why he was a good mentor when he answered all of her questions with patience and made sure to pay attention to detail. After a while, she decided to let him work in peace while she continued to read a book on her phone.

A good amount of time passed by when Emmett finally logged out of his computer and stood up to stretch. Jaz had curled her legs beneath her, and laid Emmett's blazer over her as a makeshift blanket.

"Ready to go?" She looked up at him, and handed over his blazer.

"Yeah, let's go." He held the door open for her, as he turned off the light.

Emmett slapped her ass on the way out of the office, and she turned around the glare at him.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself." He grinned at her.

"You still owe me for making me spend a date night in here." Jaz grabbed his hand as they made their way down the elevator.

"Hmm," Emmett pressed his lips together, then bent down to whisper in her ear, "Did you want to tie me to the bed, and have your way with me?"

Laughing at him, she shook her head. "Maybe. I'll have to think about it."

He gave her a naughty grin. "Just say the word. I'm already yours."

***

Keri stretched her legs in front of her as both girls looked out at the pond. The weather was too good to spend indoors, and they decided to go for a little walk around the park.

"I can't believe you're going to London."

"Neither can I." Jaz barely whispered as her fingers ran through the grass.

"Do you think he's going to stay there?"

"If he likes it, then yeah...maybe."

Children ran around together, playing with their parents. A jogger passed by behind them on the trail. The girls sat in silence. When Jaz first told Keri about Emmett leaving for London, her friend was speechless.

Throughout the years, Keri always had something to say, but for the first time, Keri did not offer the advice and thoughtful words Jaz loved to hear. Neither of the girls expected a situation like this to occur, and Keri did not know what advice to offer but to just do what she thinks would make her happy.

"Would you move there?" Keri turned her gaze towards her friend.

Jaz bit her bottom lip, and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. I have no idea what's going to happen. All I know is that I love it here, and I love my job, and I love my roommate and my friends. Things are going great here."

"...but," Keri implored.

"But I don't want to end things with him. I'm far from ready to say goodbye." Jaz brought her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. "I don't think I'll ever be ready for that."

She felt Keri's gaze as she buried her face in her arms. Heavy silence floated between them.

"Jazzy," Keri spoke softly, "Do you love him?"

Jaz slowly nodded her head. "Yeah, I do."

MissSummer
MissSummer
111 Followers
12