Family

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My love," I replied, wrapping my arms around her, "it has been far too long since I held you in my arms."

"Stop it, you charmer," she playfully smacked me on the chest. "What are you doing back in town? How long have you been in?"

"Not long, and I came because of Angel," I replied, "I hope you made enough food and that you can pack fast."

"He told me," she replied, a sudden acidic tone to her voice, "I have most of my things ready. Did you really kick him out of the house?" She asked as she pulled into my arm, her question just above a whisper.

"Yes," I replied, "I needed him out of the house if I was going to put everything back in order."

"So, you are back?" I knew what she meant; I had been asking myself that same question. I had transitioned into the position with ease, almost as if by second nature. I had been telling myself that I was doing all this because my father asked me, because my brother needed me, and because... well I really had no other reason.

"I'm not sure," I replied, there was complete honesty in my answer. "One of the many doctors that I have seen in the past told me that the only way that I could achieve any form of closure, would be to let go of things that cannot help me, things that are holding me back." I remembered the words that Dr. Cargill told me, long before Barbara had decided to fuck my life up in her own way.

"Well," Edith said, trying to break the tension in the conversation, "I made all your favorites, and plenty of it. All I'm taking is in the room," she told the two men that had come with us, "do you want a drink?"

"I will," I replied, "they are on the job." As we walked into the house, they immediately rushed into the room.

"I'll have one as well," Jose added.

"Get it yourself," Edith's acidic tone shut him down. "Sit," she ordered as she pointed me to one of the couches, food is coming." As soon as the two guards finished moving her things into the vehicle, they piled food onto their plates. "If you spill a single rice grain, you two will be cleaning the entire fucking house, do you hear me?!" It was comical to see a nearly six foot tall linebacker run with a roll of napkins, fear painted on his face.

"Have you finished your degree?" I asked her as she picked up the used dishes, "or have you been too busy playing housewife?"

"I finished it," she dryly replied to my comment, one which I almost regretted as soon as it had been spat. "Don't have much use for it, though."

"Bring your books," I replied, "freshen up on your studies and if you need refresher courses, let me know."

"Do I sense a plan?" She grinned as she again wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling my face down for a quick kiss, "or is this some clever way of convincing me to share a house with you? Because you know, I don't need much convincing when it comes to you."

As Jose was left with his mouth open in surprise at our open display of affection, we left the house hand in hand. The drive to the house was not a very long one, but she had fallen asleep on my shoulder well before we had arrived. I carried her into the house; Francisco had done an excellent job at reorganizing the security around the house. I placed her softly in one of the rooms and made sure that the guards placed her things inside without disturbing her. I decided that I would spend the night in the house, once again Francisco did not fail to impress me. He had prepared a room for me before he had left, not for the last time did I feel right about giving him the position his brother had filled.

The following morning, I awoke at my usual early time, well before the sun had risen. I opened the door to my room and decided to use the gym in the property, it had been a long time since I had been able to feel completely relaxed. Francisco was already well into his morning, I could hear him shouting orders and instructions to his men as he led them in a choreographed physical training session. I knew the goal to such activities was to instill a sense of teamwork and discipline, things that the group sorely needed. I had completed my workout as he approached me, already pre pared to give me the day's updates.

"Sir," he began, "its going to take some time, but I do believe that the men have what it takes to perform together in a cohesive unit." He beamed with pride, "I also took the liberty of making arraignments for your family reunion this afternoon. However, I do have to say..."

"You don't think anyone is going to listen to Jose," I finished for him, "that's the whole point of this, my friend. I need to know who is loyal to him and who remains loyal to my brother. Make arraignments to call the family at one in the afternoon, only then are we to inform them that I am back."

"Very good, sir," he replied as we got to the door, before I finished putting in the last of the numbers in the keypad, Francisco continued, "one more thing," he said. As I turned to look at him, I was tackled to the ground by a set of loving arms that immediately wrapped themselves on me well before gravity fulfilled its role. "She asked me to distract you long enough to do that."

"Traitor," I replied as I got back to my feet, Edith's smile greeting me as I regained my footing. "I see you slept well."

"I already made breakfast," she replied, "hurry up before it gets cold." She turned to walk inside the house as I followed.

"Since you decided to set me up," I told Francisco as he had begun to walk away, "you might as well join us."

"Damn," he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a $20 bill, which he promptly handed to a smiling Edith.

"What did I miss?" I asked, just as we reached the kitchen. Edith had prepared a spread, a large bowl of scrambled eggs, bacon, homemade biscuits, orange juice, coffee, and some sweet breads. It was more than I expected, and my eager stomach was more than pleased at the future digestion.

"Francisco bet me that you were too high and mighty to eat with the help," she replied as she filled a plate and handed it to me.

"You are not the help," I told him, "you are a great help, but you are not beneath me. You are not beneath anyone, you hear me? Did my brother ever look down on you?"

"No, sir," he meekly replied, "he did not."

"Then don't expect me to do so, now sit." As Edith handed him a plate filled with food, I continued. "Tell me, what have you seen regarding my family?"

"Sir," he began, "I, of course, had never met you before, but heard a lot about you from your brother. He and I would often speak long into the night about you, he kept a close look at your career overseas." This was a surprise to me but I did not interrupt him as he continued his story, "about a year ago, things began to look grim. More and more businesses were losing money. Murders were being carried out in protected areas, children were given drugs, and whores began to move into the neighborhoods." He looked at Edith, "I apologize, ma'am."

"I've heard worse," she laughed as she took a large bite of her toast.

"Your brother received a call about a new mover that was selling weapons at a highly discounted price," he took a bite from his breakfast as he continued his story, "I offered to pick up the shipment but he flatly refused. Instead, he sent me over to your parent's house with a handful of men."

Edith spoke, "do you know who could have done it?"

"Well, ma'am," he continued, "as far as I can see it, whoever did it had to have extensive knowledge of how we operate. Also..."

"If my brother suspected a trap, he would have gone himself. My brother would have thought that they knew where my parents lived," I added, "that is why he sent his most trusted man to watch them."

"Yes, sir," he replied as he continued eating. For a long time only the clattering of our utensils broke the silence of the room, all three of us had the same thought going through our heads.

"Do you think it was my husband?" She grabbed my hand as she asked her question. Francisco looked at me for a second before averting his eyes and returning them to the plate of food.

"Like always, my dear," I replied, kissing her in the forehead, "your food was superb. Thank you so very much, Francisco and I have to go check on the boys now."

"Thank you for the food, ma'am," he said as we both stood.

"Make sure you are ready by 12," I told Edith as we walked outside, "we'll be having a small gathering. Call my godmother, she still has her catering business, you shouldn't cook this brunch. I would much prefer you standing by my side." She smiled and blushed a bit as Francisco and I walked out of the kitchen area.

"She is a wonderful woman," he told me as we stepped outside.

"Don't let her demeanor fool you," I replied, "she is one of the most loving women I have ever met in my life. But she is also one of the most dangerous and unforgiving people I have ever come across in my life. She loves as strongly as she hates."

"So, your cousin..."

"Yeah," I laughed, "he's pretty much fucked. I'm honestly surprised he still has a dick attached to his body."

...

"Little cousin," I greeted Jose as we made our way back from inspecting the men. All of them were in fine spirits, honorable, respectful, and most importantly fearful of my reputation. Francisco was a fine leader; he knew each man by name and often knew personal details about each of their lives: children's names, wives' names, to the point where he reminded one man in particular that it was his anniversary by ordering him to buy flowers for his wife. To say I was impressed was an understatement.

Jose carried a small manila folder with scribbled handwriting; I could tell this was a series of usernames and passwords to an extensive collection of websites and programs. "Are these all the numbers?" He nodded as I took the folder from his hands and handed it to Francisco, "take this to Edith; I think she is up to date on her accounting so that she can make some sense of the information here."

"Yes, sir." He stood and moved past Jose without so much as a glance.

"You could've just asked me," Jose said, "I could've explained everything to you."

"Nah," I replied, "don't worry yourself about that, we have the help to do that sort of thing." I hoped that the words sounded familiar to him, but either he had become a great actor, or hearing his words being repeated to him did not seem out of place. "Is all the family in the dining room?" I asked just as the clock chimed, reminding us that it was noon. We walked together, Francisco stood like a sentinel at the door to the dining room.

"I sent out the message," Jose said, "but..."

"No one listened to you," I replied as I opened the door. As I expected, the table was empty, no one had bothered to show up at my cousin's request. "Francisco?"

"Yes, sir," he replied, "gentlemen, proceed," he said into the radio as all three of us took a seat in the dining room table. Jose nearly lost it when he saw that Francisco was sitting to my left.

"Why is he here?" Contempt dripped from every syllable. "He should be outside making sure that..."

"He is exactly where he needs to be," I interrupted, reaching into my pocket I took the ever present pack of cigarettes out. I offered one to Francisco and took one for myself, using his lighter he lit both of our cigarettes before I continued. "Tell me more about the day my brother was arrested, little cousin."

"You know as much as I do, I'm sure," he spat, "I'm sure that whore I call a wife filled you in last night."

Using the back of my hand I slapped the taste out of his mouth, "I told you, little cousin, there would be no more whores allowed in this house. I also told you to at least pretend to respect your wife." As he rubbed his face, tears began to fill his eyes.

"All calls have been made, sir" Francisco interrupted after a small drowned out voice brought the radio to life, "I suggest we move outside."

"Lead the way, little cousin," I said, "we set up a nice little picnic in the back deck. I'll be joining you all momentarily." Francisco stood and guided Jose outside, "oh, I nearly forgot, Francisco?"

"Yes, sir," he said as he pushed Jose into the wall in one swift movement. Years of pent up anger were put into that single move, Jose's forehead collided with the concrete making a sickening thump. With a second move, Jose's legs were parted just as hands began to roam throughout his body. This time, Jose carried a small pistol in the small of his back, for a second I was impressed until I saw the weapon closely. "All clear, sir."

"What the fuck was that about?" Jose screamed as he regained his balance and composure.

"Making sure you aren't wired or carrying a weapon," I laughed as I held the small Derringer, "you do know they call these purse pistols, right? Yeah, it's a .45, but a single shot? Come on, little cousin."

"This way," Francisco said as he again led the way, a smile covered his face. I knew he would take great pleasure in doing that to my cousin, "sir, ETA for your guests is 45 minutes. Will you be needing anything before then?"

"No," I replied, "carry on. I shouldn't be long."

"Didn't get enough last night?" Jose smirked, one look from me told him that this comment had been a mistake. Before I could move, he was already making his hurried way toward the back yard. Both Francisco and I shook our heads at the cowardly display and laughed.

After a painful climb up the stairs, I knocked on her door softly, "are you ready yet?"

"Almost," Edith replied through the door, "is it time already?"

"Yes," I replied, "the show is about to start, and can't do it without the supporting actress," I joked, "so hurry your pretty little ass. Francisco will tell you where you need to be."

...

The backyard was littered with faces drowning in a sea of murmurs and hushed whispers. The chaotic waves of movement brought an ever more common smile to my face. As I stepped into the sunlight, the voices immediately became mute. I turned to find my cousin, he had been placed in his designated seat as I had instructed. "Ladies and gentlemen," the voice said over the loudspeaker, "please take your seats."

"As you all know," I began after taking my own seat in the main table. This table was set in a small platform a few inches higher than the ground, it gave the vision that this table held the most important members of the family. After this meeting, it would. "As you all know, Angel is in prison." As I spoke, the men moved in pairs towards the tables, each pair flanked the head of each respective table. The nervousness of the family members in attendance was palpable. The fact that Jose had no guards in his table made the rest of the family, particularly Jose, think that they were about to be punished for their earlier insult. "Until he is either released or killed, I will be acting on his behalf as head of the family. If there are any complaints or concerns, now is the time to speak up."

"Are you taking over from Jose?" One of my uncles fearfully asked, I did not expect this to be the first question.

"No," I replied, "I am taking over for my brother. My cousin will be ineligible to be the head of the family for reasons that I will reveal in a few minutes."

"Why should we follow you?" Another voice asked, the owner took particular care to not be noticed, however my guards revealed who the person that had spoken was.

"You are free to walk out, start your own organization," I replied, "you all know who I am. Some of you might even know what I have been doing since I left. My reasons for leaving are still the same, I want nothing to do with the dirty money that this enterprise creates. This is a favor to my family. I will be here as long as it takes."

"How are we expected to speak openly when your guards have us surrounded?" Another of my uncles spoke as he looked directly at the guards that were standing directly behind him.

"When have I not been a man of my word, Uncle?" My pained look shamed him into silence, "if any of you feel intimidated by the guards, all you have to do is ask them to leave." Two tables asked their guards to leave, these two tables had been the main ones that had asked the questions. "Anyone else?" The silence of the crowd gave me the answer.

"Good, second order of business is simple enough. Those tables that still have guards with them, those are now your guards. They will follow you everywhere; give their lives to protect you if necessary. However, you will have to supply their salaries, and their clothing allowance. I will supply their weapons and training."

The silence was replaced by a tone of approval from the families that did not dismiss their guards, "those that do not have guards, you will continue to have no guards. Not even your privately hired ones. If I learn that you have hired private security, I will take it as a personal insult, and will respond accordingly." The few tables that had dismissed their guards began to protest, "I asked you to trust me, and you did not. I will not tolerate dissidence in this family. The guards will answer to my new Chief of Security," I said as Francisco emerged and took a seat in my table. "He answers only to me."

"Third order of business, and the reason why Jose cannot lead this family on my brother's behalf. The family now has an accountant, it will be this person's responsibility to track our investments, our principal, our capital. May I present you: Edith." When she emerged, all mouths, including my own, fell open. Edith had decided to wear a white summer dress that cut off just above her knees. It was slightly form fitting, she was careful to show off her modest curves but at the same time keeping a sense of modesty. She wore a large hat to shield her from the sun. A set of small heels completed her outfit.

As she took her seat to my right in the table, I continued, "because of her new position, having my dear cousin as head of the family would pose an incredible conflict of interests. From now on, any money exchange will bear both her signature and mine, I cannot approve monetary purchases without her and she cannot do the same without my approval." Murmurs of agreement were heard through the crowd.

"With that being said, ladies and gentlemen," I continued, "there is a large amount of money missing. At both my Chief of Security and Accountant's suggestion, I will allow for a week of amnesty. All outstanding debts, all unapproved investments, all unaccounted for assets will be declared, no questions asked. Whatever is not declared or paid by this time next week will be considered an attempt to cheat the family and will be handled accordingly." A few gulps were heard. "One week of amnesty."

"Until all funds are properly accounted for, the family accounts will be frozen. In 90 days, I will know who has and has not cheated the family. I highly suggest that you take advantage of the week of amnesty."

"Don't forget about the other thing, honey," Edith said as she grabbed my arm in a loving fashion. She took special care to wrap her arms around mine, clearly showing her intentions to declare herself my equal, if I did not know any better I would think she was declaring to any woman in the gathering that she was claiming me as her own.

"Oh, right, thank you sweetheart," I replied, "someone in attendance, perhaps it is more than one person, has valuable information regarding how and why my brother was set up. The week of amnesty applies in that aspect as well. Come clean now, or hope I don't find you." People turned and looked at each other in suspicion, "and trust me, I will find you." I allowed a few seconds of silence to drive the uncertainty home for each of the people sitting before me.

"Now," I interrupted the increasing suspicion in the patio, I could already see who the snakes were as they were trying to hide in the grass, "please, enough unpleasant news. Eat up, enjoy yourselves, this is a family gathering after all." As everyone began to move toward the large tables that had been decorated with various foods, I reached out and grabbed Edith just as she tried to stand. "Where are you going?"